JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Image of the Invisible God

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Colossians 1:15a, 19) The great understanding of Judaism was that God is spirit, not physical. That he is invisible. Any idol that tries to depict him is blasphemous. So what is the significance of the statement that Jesus is "the image of the invisible God"? According to verse 19, to what degree does this image accurately represent God? Is Jesus actually God in the flesh, or only a manifestation of God, a kind of holograph?*

As the visible image of the invisible God, he is the exact representation of God. He not only reflects God, but he reveals God to us.

Jesus is the visible, tangible image of the invisible God. He is the complete revelation of what God is like.

In Christ, God revealed his nature and essence in a way that could be seen and touched. In Christ, God became a man who lived on earth.

According to verse 19, Christ was fully human; he was also fully divine. Christ has always been God and always will be God.

Wow, I'll bet Jesus' statement the He is "the image of the invisible God" really made Jewish leadership's blood boil! This statement is truly significant because of its full-blown claim that He literally was God. They had 2 choices to make about that statement: either Jesus was a blasphemous liar or Jesus was Messiah. His claim was thoroughly validated, of course, by the life He lived, the deeds He did, the death He died, and His resurrection from the grave. Yahweh had visibly revealed Himself to man as Jesus identified with humanity and dwelt on earth in fully human form, filled by the Spirit of God to speak the very Words of God and do the will/works of the Father.

As the "image of the invisible God", in Jesus dwelt the "fullness of God" (vs.19). Well, that leaves nothing out and is fully inclusive…this living image comprehensively and accurately expressed God to man. He lived in flawless communion with the Father, who was pleased/satisfied to have the unreserved completeness of His Spirit fully dwell in Jesus. But Christ had deliberately set aside His personal deity and glory to be born as the human being, Jesus of Nazareth (Philippians 2:6-8). He had a physical birth, grew through childhood, ate and slept and worked, studied and taught the Scriptures, touched people and was touched by them, laughed with His friends in joy and cried real tears in sorrow. He had physical flesh that was tortured and torn, and when every drop of His body's life-blood was spilled out on the cross, He died a physical death. He was no hologram, which would be a life-like 3-D projection of a recorded image. Jesus Christ came to the world as the fullness of invisible God represented in visible live flesh. And, oh my, that is our call today as His redeemed who are being conformed to the image of the Son (Romans 8:29).

According to every translation I have read, in John 10:30 Jesus clearly says, "I and the Father are one." The Jewish leaders who heard Him say those words certainly believed that Jesus was claiming to be God in the flesh because they would have stoned Him for blasphemy. Matthew, in his gospel (1:23) quotes prophecy and defines Jesus' name "Immanuel" as "God with us." Here in Colossians, vs 19, Paul tells us that God was pleased to have all of His fullness living in Christ. These scriptures all lead me to believe that Jesus is actually God in the flesh.

I have always believed that Jesus had to be fully human (in order to be the sacrifice) and fully God (in order to be perfect). However, in studying the scriptures for the answer to this question, I read in John 17:11,22 where Jesus prays that "they, (meaning His disciples/followers/us). may be one as we, (meaning He and the Father), are one." It's easy for me to accept Jesus' "oneness" as God in the flesh. It's a lot harder to accept the same kind of "oneness" for myself. Does Jesus mean something different in His prayer, or is He actually praying for the same kind of "oneness" that He has with the Father?

The great understanding of Judaism was that God is spirit, not physical. That he is invisible. Any idol that tries to depict him is blasphemous. So what is the significance of the statement that Jesus is

The great understanding of Judaism was that God is spirit, not physical. That he is invisible. Any idol that tries to depict him is blasphemous. So what is the significance of the statement that Jesus is "the image of the invisible God"?

As seen in Exodus, the Hebrews blasphemed in that they initiated the creation of a manmade, visible idol (golden calf) to represent (actually replace) the true invisible God (whom they did not really know) and they worshiped it, giving it glory for God

Jesus was the same yesterday and today and forever, in 1 Tim 2:5 he stands in our place before God. Jesus is the transcendent deity who created us and then died for us. He is God in the flesh He is the heir of all things Heb:1:2 His resurrection tells us that we will be resurrected, what a glorious day that will be.

Q1. (Colossians 1:15a, 19) The great understanding of Judaism was that God is spirit, not physical. That he is invisible. Any idol that tries to depict him is blasphemous. So what is the significance of the statement that Jesus is

1. The great understanding of Judaism was that God is spirit, not physical. That he is invisible. Any idol that tries to depict him is blasphemous. So what is the significance of the statement that Jesus is "the image of the invisible God"?

The significance of the statement that Jesus is the image of the invisible God has allowed himself to be seen in Jesus of Nazareth. And is rewritten in John gospel Chapter 1

In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. john 1:1

The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us (john 1:14) i and the Father are one (john 10:30) In john 14:10 Jesus say " Dont you believe that i am in the Father and that the Father is in me?

2.According to verse 19, to what degree does this image accurately represent God?

Fullness

3.Is Jesus actually God in the flesh, or only a manifestation of God, a kind of holograph?*

Indeed, Jesus is actually God in the Flesh ... we can refer in john 1:1In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning.

also in john1: 14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us... and also other in John 14: 10 Jesus say " Dont you believe that i am in the Father and that the Father is in me?

Is Jesus the image of God? Scripture verses state that Jesus is The Living God- God made visible as man. Jesus appeared to the Jews and gentiles and it was stated that he was God. The God of the Jews was a spiritual being only and seems only to have shown himself to Moses. Jesus says " Here I am the son of God and like my Father "Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father". Seeing is believing!

This is poweful but through being visible as man the resurection has very personal human meaning. Jesus was just like one of us in appearance so more believeable rather than just a Spirt. Today we must have faith based on the biblical teachings and revolations. The Bible attests to the risen Lord and we believe in the Living God.

Q1. (Colossians 1:15a, 19) The great understanding of Judaism was that God is spirit, not physical. That he is invisible. Any idol that tries to depict him is blasphemous. So what is the significance of the statement that Jesus is

Q1. (Colossians 1:15a, 19) The great understanding of Judaism was that God is spirit, not physical. That he is invisible. Any idol that tries to depict him is blasphemous.

So what is the significance of the statement that Jesus is

An image being the likeness or extension of someone or something - in Jesus, all that God is - His attributes, qualities, and purpose can be seen and realized in Jesus. . .

Everything that God is is represented and performed in Jesus. . .

Jesus is actually God in the flesh. . .

B)

God cannot be seen. He is invisible. However, God has allowed us to see Him in Christ because Christ is God's replica. This does not go well with Judaism that believes that God cannot be copied or represented by any image.

Q1. (Colossians 1:15a, 19) The great understanding of Judaism was that God is spirit, not physical. That he is invisible. Any idol that tries to depict him is blasphemous. So what is the significance of the statement that Jesus is "the image of the invisible God"? According to verse 19, to what degree does this image accurately represent God? Is Jesus actually God in the flesh, or only a manifestation of God, a kind of holograph? (A holograph might be like Princess Leia in Star Wars sending a message through R2-D2: "Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope....")

This was hard for me to answer. I have been helped by reading another's reply.

Q1 "The word" became flesh and dwelt among us." No human being has seen God but God

has made Himself known to us through the incarnation of His Son Jesus Christ.

Verse19 tells us that God's fullness dwells in Jesus.

Jesus, the second person in the Holy Trinity, is the incarnation of God the Father

Himself.

1a:Jesus was sent to us by Father God,as the very image of God, to reveal to us by example the attributes of God, through teaching, healing, miracles and his daily walk, his perfect love and sacrifice which allows us reconciliation to our God.

1b:God is wholly represented by Christ Jesus.

1c: God and Jesus are separate persons of the trinity, by through Christ we see God in all his Glory.