JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Moses Responds to God's Call

I think Moses was overcome by fear, lack of faith and self doubt.

Reading further he questions in detail some of the incidences he may encounter and he wants to know just how he is to respond to those situations. God had already told him He would go with him and there is some semblance of trust as he is thinking of going, but he wants more. Moses wants details as to what may happen and how he is to respond. He wants reassurance yet. His questions continue even after God gives specific instructions to him in many areas, so I don't think Moses had complete trust, nor was he totally submitted in humility, knowing maybe "he" couldn't but "GOD" could in all things. He had absolute doubts about himself and his natural abilities and voiced them, so I don't think he was in a place of humbleness yet. That comes with KNOWING we can't do anything in and of ourselves and trusting God anyway in HIS strength, moving forward.

God still is the same today as He was yesterday and will be tomorrow. He still assures us He goes with us. He still is patient with our doubts and questions and He still leads us to strength and maturity in Him. Even today, as I consider my impossible situations, though I tend to want to despair, I can see through this study that He is speaking and kindly directing and I'm grateful! I have been greatly encouraged.

Thank you Holy Spirit!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Exodus 3:10-12) Does Moses' response to God's call reflect a low self image, true humility, or lack of faith?

I believe Moses response was "shock and awe"! His desire 40 years earlier had been to deliver his people from suffering. He'd taken what he thought was an appropriate action, had run for his life, and spent 40 years tending sheep in a wilderness. I think he must have thought "I'm 80 years old, have accomplished nothing in life, my window of opportunity to make a difference is long since closed. I have no life skills except tending and leading sheep (Sounds like David's preparation!), and now you say I'm to deliver my people?

All that to say, I think it was unbelief that God could use him, a failure in his own and the world's eyes. Moses must have lived in deep regret and beaten himself up for how he had bungled his own attempt at this very same venture, and had settled into a permanent life of mediocrity and obscurity as "his lot in life", or perhaps he believed that his failure and the consequence were his permanent condition.

How does God reassure him?

He promised to be with Moses and gave the sign/prophecy/foreknowledge of the outcome if Moses would agree to be yielded!

How does God reassure us when we are called to impossible situations?

I can share from my own experience that He does just that! He speaks words of encouragement that "you're not being asked to go it alone....I'm in you, with you, will go before you, and come behind you...hemmed in on all sides! He often speaks to me about the outcome of what He's asking, as further reassurance. After years of abuse and being beaten down, controlled and intimidated, I've always needed a lot of reassurance. I can so relate to Moses! I've lived in a wilderness for many years. The blessing of those years is that I know that in myself I can do nothing, but that He works in and through me to accomplish all that He asks when I yield to the Holy Spirit. The glory must go to Him because I know He's the Victor. (I'm encouraging myself as I answer these questions...I've been stuck 2/3 through with the book He's asked me to write, because it's "too hard". I will start again on this "impossible situation" because He IS FAITHFUL!

When in Egypt 40 years earlier Moses believed he was God's instrument to bring deliverance to his people (Acts 7:23-25). However, he acted in his own might and not in the power and direction of God. He failed miserably, as we all do when we try to accomplish the things of God in our own power. Now God was telling him to go and be the deliverer. I believe Moses' response was both lack of faith in and lack of knowledge of the God of Abraham. He had failed once already so to do it again was just foolishness in his own eyes - Moses was still seeing things through the flesh and not through the spirit.

God's reassurance is that God, Himself, will be with him and that Moses will successfully return with Israel to worship Him on this very mountain. The battle with the flesh is real and powerful. Even when our heart knows that God will be with us and provide the means to accomplish what He proclaims, our "logic" resists. Is it because God's ways are so different from ours in accomplishing His work? As the father cried out in Mark 9:24, "help my unbelief!" I can identify with Moses - learning to trust is a hard, ongoing, lifelong process. It is relinquishing our autonomy in a given situation to God. Thank you God that You understand this struggle. God dealt patiently and lovingly with Moses through all the questions, BUT He never let Moses "off the hook." He was going to be God's appointed deliverer, and Moses was going to go in the power and strength of God Almighty.

Q2. (Exodus 3:10-12) Does Moses' response to God's call reflect a low self image, true humility, or lack of faith?

I believe Moses response was one of low self image and humility, the word humility, aw-nawv', aw-nawv' depressed (figuratively), in mind (gentle) or circumstances -- Defines clearly that it was through the circumstances and choices that Moses had to and did leave his place of royalty, and was criticized by the two Hebrews, and was on the run for his life from the Pharaoh, that Moses did have a low self image, finding himself depressed and humbled before this Almighty powerful God, who spoke to him through a burning bush and said, “ Moses I want you to go unto Pharaoh, and bring forth My people, the children of Israel out of Egypt.

(Exo. 3:10) that you may bring forth my people the children of Israel out of Egypt. Moses knew this would be impossible, how can I, Moses do this?

If Moses lacked “faith” it was “faith” within himself and not that of God.

God’s assurance came to Moses after he asked “who am I that I should go unto Pharaoh?” that God said, certainly, inasmuch as you go Moses, “I will be with you,” it will be a token, a sign, a promise from God to Moses, that could be received only through Moses “faith” in God, knowing, believing this would happen because God would be with him.

This “faith” Moses put into action, was true “worship” unto the God of Abraham.

Assurance comes to us as we put our “faith” into action as Moses did, his faith was seen in his “obedience.”

When God calls us to the impossible, we too can be assured God will be with us, as long as we put our “faith” into action – Faith without works, action, is dead.

“Faith” is an action word, it is impossible to please God without “faith” - God wants our obedience more than our sacrifices. All things are possible as we put our trust in God, and follow His calling.

Moses was eighty years old. He felt secure in his "routine" and din't feel the urge to set off in a new challenge. Often, we all settle into this mode. If there is difficult tasks to perform, let the younger do it ... I have done my part and just want to rest it out. Again, Moses shows us a great lesson to apply each to our lives. We are never over until we are over. God wants our service until the day we die.

I believe Moses response was "shock and awe"! His desire 40 years earlier had been to deliver his people from suffering. He'd taken what he thought was an appropriate action, had run for his life, and spent 40 years tending sheep in a wilderness. I think he must have thought "I'm 80 years old, have accomplished nothing in life, my window of opportunity to make a difference is long since closed. I have no life skills except tending and leading sheep (Sounds like David's preparation!), and now you say I'm to deliver my people?

All that to say, I think it was unbelief that God could use him, a failure in his own and the world's eyes. Moses must have lived in deep regret and beaten himself up for how he had bungled his own attempt at this very same venture, and had settled into a permanent life of mediocrity and obscurity as "his lot in life", or perhaps he believed that his failure and the consequence were his permanent condition.

He promised to be with Moses and gave the sign/prophecy/foreknowledge of the outcome if Moses would agree to be yielded!

I can share from my own experience that He does just that! He speaks words of encouragement that "you're not being asked to go it alone....I'm in you, with you, will go before you, and come behind you...hemmed in on all sides! He often speaks to me about the outcome of what He's asking, as further reassurance. After years of abuse and being beaten down, controlled and intimidated, I've always needed a lot of reassurance. I can so relate to Moses! I've lived in a wilderness for many years. The blessing of those years is that I know that in myself I can do nothing, but that He works in and through me to accomplish all that He asks when I yield to the Holy Spirit. The glory must go to Him because I know He's the Victor. (I'm encouraging myself as I answer these questions...I've been stuck 2/3 through with the book He's asked me to write, because it's "too hard". I will start again on this "impossible situation" because He IS FAITHFUL!

Hi Jan Mary,

If the Lord tells you to do something,it is doable..Go for it.Jesus is Faitful as you have said and I agree..even if we are unfaithful..for Jesus cannot deny Himself:

1 Timothy 2:13-IF WE BELIEVE NOT,YET HE ABIDETH FAITHFUL;HE CANNOT DENY HIMSELF

If God tells you to do something,then the enemy will try all his best to derail you,to stop you in accomplishing what God wants you to do.

As I write this I am touching my PC,and believing that you can accomplish what God has desired of you,FOR IT IS WRITTEN

Matthew 18:19-Again I say unto you , That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask , it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven .

Q2. (Exodus 3:10-12) Does Moses response to Gods call reflect a low self image, true humility, or lack of faith? How does God reassure him? How does God reassure us when we are called to impossible situations?

Up to Exodus 3:10-12...Mose has really no encounter with God.He was raised in pagan tradition for 40 years,as adopted son of Pharoah's daughter,and He must have heard God only through His Father in law which is a Priest.

Other than that,Moses has really no Knowledge of who God is,so we really must think as he is,and put ourselves in His position the moment He encounter God...

In fact we can attribute His bravery,as one of the factors that lead Him to be used by God.Imagine seeing a Fire burning profusely in the bush,but is actually not consuming the bush itself.Ordinary man,like me,could just run with our wits to nowhere.BUt Moses stood his ground,and in fact move closer..

Then suddenly you heard somebody from the Bush calling your name..if the fire doest frighten you,this voice calling your name,could make me faint.

Again Moses hold His ground..and without batting an eyelash replied.."HERE I AM"...

What I notice,from the reply is lack of reverence,lack of respect...BECAUSE UP TO THIS POINT MOSES DOESNT KNOW GOD.

The same response the Boy Samuel,to the voice for He also did not know that It was God who called Him:

1 Samuel 3:4 That the LORD called Samuel : and he answered , Here am I.

5 And he ran unto Eli , and said , Here am I ; for thou calledst me. And he said , I called not; ...

And when suddenly He know that He is talking to God..Moses first reaction was FEAR..

Exodus 3:6-... And Moses hid his face ; for he was afraid to look upon God ..

Moses knowledge about God,what He hears about God at this point in time,might be not good..The Law is till not in place during this time,and God still operates in Mercy and Grace..but eventhough,as early as Moses first encounter with God...people perception on the TRUE NATURE OF GOD is already corrupted,by the devil.

So therefore,I can presume based on this analogy that Moses response to God's call is First... Fear:

What motivates fear is self preservation.He is afraid to do God's will,because He fear God..He is fearfull that something bad will happen to Him again,as His previous experience in killing the Egyptian soldier.

The evil is working,for Moses not to do God's will,by capitalizing on His False perception,false image of God.He inject fear,on Moses Heart,and out of that Fear,Moses try to find all the reason in the World for God to choose another one to deliver His people.

But God was able to deal with Moses fear,one by one,eliminating them and assuring Him that His presence will change everything...

Remember that Jesus hasnt come yet(to be a man,or flesh,and dwell among his people) ,and the power that God has given to man,is still on the hands of the evil...so during this perilous time,the evil has a high time with the people,deceiving here and there...

But God is God.What He will..itshall be done...but not after he also become angry to Moses stubborness..So I think this is not more on Moses response,but God amazing Power,God's sovereignty,God's compassion and faitfulness to His promises..

What prompted this event is ..AND GOD REMEMBERED.

Genesis 2:24- ...and God remembered his covenant with Abraham , with Isaac , and with Jacob....

God is faithful,He always remember His promises to us...HE IS THE SAME YESTERDAY,TODAY AND FOREVER-Hebrews 13:8

Hallelujah..thank you LORD JESUS...

Q2. (Exodus 3:10-12) Does Moses’ response to God’s call reflect a low self image, true humility, or lack of faith?

To some extent Moses' response signifies all three! When he left Egypt and went to Midian, it wasn't a walk down the road. I reckon that by the time he reached the outskirts of Midian he'd had lots of time to reflect on his situation. There he was, the prince of Egypt, now on the run, homeless, and with nothing to his name. I believe his humility began right there. Then going to work for someone else, even as Jethro's son-in-law, he was still the hired help. As a shepherd he's spend most of his time alone with the sheep and with no one to talk to. That didn't help at all when it came to speaking to people. Remember he worked for Jethro for 40 years!! By the time God called Moses I believe he was truly humble and had a very low self-image. He was 80 years old and probably contemplating winding down to eventual retirement. Did he exhibit a lack of faith? Maybe. God had left him alone his whole long life thus far. To be called now, at 80, maybe he couldn't quite believe it? Actually asking God to please send someone else indicates that Moses didn't believe he was up to the job.

God showed Moses some miraculous signs that he could perform to show Pharaoh he meant business. God even provided Moses help in the form of his brother Aaron, who could speak for him because Moses had difficulty speaking in public.

First and foremost we have the Bible which contains many stories of God calling people to serve Him who were, in the world's eyes, not up to the job. We see how God took charge and enabled people like Moses, Gideon, etc, to do what in their own strength they could never even attempt.

Moses went from a superior position in the Egyptain palace to that of a shepherd in charge of sheep; not of his own, so it is in the realm of feasibility that he is suffering low self-image, low self-esteem. Moses is a highly educated man who has lost all of his daily challenges so mayhaps he blames God on some level which creates a lack of faith.

Numbers 12:3 does tell us that Moses is the most humble man on the face of the Earth which could bear a little weight on his pushing against God's plan as he doesn't feel worthy to undertake such an important journey. However, when we explore a little farther we find Moses continuing to make excuses as to why he can't go while God is offering him solutions to his fears. God assures, and reasssures him that He will be with him all the time...but still Moses looks for a way out.

MOSES MADE EXCUSES BECAUSE HE FELT INADEQUATE. GOD WAS NOT ASKING MOSES TO GO ALONE. GOD WOULD BE THERE TO HELP HIM.

HE ALSO PUT ARRON THERE TO HELP. HE ALSO OFFERS THE ABILITY TO DO MIRACLES. GOD OFTEN CALLS US TO DO TASKS THAT SEEMS IMPOSSIBLE BUT HE NEVER ASK US TO DO THEM ALONE. GOD HAS MANY RESOURCES THAT WE CAN USE.