JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q6. Loving the Church

6a

Just as husbands and wifes become one-so does the redeemed become one in the family of God.We learn to love one another just as husbands love their wives and wives loves their husbands and Christ loves the Church.

6b

It gives us a deeper love and understanding for one another(the church) Jesus sets the example of this kind of love(Agape)for us,Through this love it will help us"to keep the unity of the spirit in the bond of peace."

6c

As we (the church)strive to be all that we can be .We must do I think as Paul did-Repent daily and Christ will revive us anew to become what we truly are-the glorious wife and visible representative of Jesus Christ on earth.

• 1 month later...

As a leaf on a tree loves the tree and the branch that nourish it, so we (leaf) should love the church (branch) which is in Jesus (trunk!) They nourish us (with sap) and we them (photosynthesis, cf praise and worship).

Yes, we are part of the church of God and like a fallen leaf, outside of it (the church) we are soon dead!

We will certainly want to see that all parts of the tree, leaf (individuals) branch (church we attend) and Jesus (the root and foundation) are happy, well nourished and supplied with every good and valuable thing (wisdom, Bible knowledge, spiritual gifts, hunger for God etc., and in the case of the trunk (Jesus) enthroned (nourished) with praise in spirit and in truth. That way we grow amazingly, delightfully, wonderfully.

Despising the church is like poisoning the branches with negative language, anger, cynicism. We certainly need to repent and take responsibility for building/nourishing the church.

• 1 month later...

Q6. (Ephesians 5:28-30) In what sense should we love the Church because it is our own body?

We should love the Church because we ARE the Church, United in Christ.

Because we are part of it?

Yes, because we are one body and one spirit with Jesus Christ our Lord

What will that kind of love produce in our actions?

It will produce the responsibility to go out and share the Good News with the unbelievers.

Why do we need to repent of despising the Church and begin to love her aright?

The believers are the Church, so if you despise the church, then you despise yourself. If you despise yourself then how can you love Christ. We are one, united with Christ. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

According to I Corinthians 6:15 we are members of Christ's body. Christ nourishes and cherishes the Church as being of one flesh with Him. As believers in Christ indwelt with His Holy Spirit we should love the Church. We may not always agree on everything but we must agree on the basis of salvation by grace through faith in our Lord Jesus Christ.

That kind of love produces concern and caring for one another.

How can we despise those who are a part of Christ's body? To despise fellow believers is sin.

• 5 months later...

As part of the body of Christ we all have been given some gift which comes with resposibility. We thus need to serve the body of Christ as part of the body and responsible citizens of His kingdom with love.

What will that kind of love produce?

This will definately produce a love that is not selfish but one that is based on self giving as every one of us should give ourselves for the betterment of others in His body. We sure all want what Christ, the Head, wants for his glorious, resplendent Church - perfection. We will achieve this by allowing love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control to operate through.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

We are to Love the Church because it is our own body in the sense , most of us got our salvation through the Church , and it is in the Church where we get our spiritual food. We get more encouraged in the Church , because we have people with different gifts in the Church.

We need to repent if we despise the Church because , one fire wood can not make fire , it as to be more than one .

• 6 months later...

We should care for our bodies. We feed our bodies and wash our bodies and take good care of them. We should care for the church in the same way. We are members of Christs body. He feeds and cares for us and we should feed and care for the Church constantly. That kind of love will produce people living in service to Christ. When we are loved and cared for, we respond with love also to care for each other. We need to repent of despising the church, because if we despise the church, we are despising not only ourselves as a whole, but we are despising Christ Himself.

All are one in Him.

• 6 months later...
Q6. (Ephesians 5:28-30) In what sense should we love the Church because it is our own body? Because we are part of it? What will that kind of love produce in our actions? Why do we need to repent of despising the Church and begin to love her aright? Exposition

If I am in my right mind then I will not do things to harm myself or to tear myself or my reputation down. If I won't do these things to my self, then I should not be doing them to the church - for to hurt the church is to hurt myself. Why would I want to tear myself down? I can not be successful if I am always doing things against myself. If I love my self enough not to cause myself harm, then I should be loving the church the same way. If I love the church I will be lifting it up not tearing it down. I will be lifting up and encouraging the Pastor, teachers, children and everyone in between. I will not be self absorbed but I will be looking for ways to be a blessing to others.

Not to love is a sin. We must repent from ALL sin. Sins of commision and sins of ommision. He that knoweth to do good and doeth it not - to him it is sin. If I love the church I will not be hurting Her.

• 4 months later...

Q6. (Ephesians 5:28-30) In what sense should we love the Church because it is our own body? Because we are part of it?

We should love the Church because it is our own body because as we are a part of it we love and care for it as we love and care for our own body.

What will that kind of love produce in our actions?

That kind of love will produce a church that is in revival, a body of unselfish Believers, growing in grace and awaiting the return of our Lord.

Why do we need to repent of despising the Church and begin to love her aright?

We need to repent because the Church of Jesus Christ and ourselves are one. We do love ourselves.

• 4 months later...

Q6. (Ephesians 5:28-30) In what sense should we love the Church because it is our own body? Because we are part of it? What will that kind of love produce in our actions? Why do we need to repent of despising the Church and begin to love her aright?

We should love the church as we love ourselves because all Christians are a part of the body of Christ. We should care about and love one another as ourselves. Christians should be one as the Father and Son are one.

This kind of love will produce in our actions to others in our church some of the following: patience; a spirit of encouragement; kindness; mercy; a desire for meaningful fellowship; true corporate prayer and worship; and a dynamic church that carries our the Great Commission in word and deed. It makes a difference in the world around it.

To despise the church is not God's will in the life of any believer and is sinful rebellion. God is using the church to spread the gospel and His Kingdom on this planet. Not to be involved in the church is a spiritual and obedience problem with God.

• 5 months later...

In every way the church is who we are, a body of believers as one, many members harmoniously operating to glorify God. As we treat our own person we are to do so to the church body.

This activity will lead to a significant and meaningful relationship with one another and be well pleasing to the Lord. It will produce good fruit and flourish.

The church represents Jesus' own body and when we hurt the church we are sinning against the Lord. We are bound to repent of all sin.

For me, knowing that the Church is the glorious wife and earthly representation of Christ makes it more difficult to walk in unity with other believers. If we have the same foundation, faith and Father why then is there so much flesh and ego involved in ministry and denominations.

I want to not only love myself as God does I want to extend that love outward, yet in the real world it is growing increasingly difficult- as it says in the Word it would be. So I prayerfully ask that we all pray for one another to ask God to grant us the vision of ourselves and the Church through the blood of Christ; for us to recognize God is in control, in hope and impending. I ask that those who call themselves His people will submit to God, cry out to Jesus and allow the Holy Spirit to do a work in us.

As a Christian it sounds good to profess that we try to love one another and also the unlovable yet we have to live in the reality that not all the Church that cries "Lord, Lord" will enter the gates of heaven. This is why it is important to pray in all things so that God can give us discernment and clarity on how and who to love fully and honorably as His wife and His treasure - those whom He chooses. Remember, that God's ways are not always our ways so we have to be careful in all we do even in those things we believe are "good".

• 1 year later...

6. (Ephesians 5:28-30) In what sense should we love the Church because it is our own body? Because we are part of it? What will that kind of love produce in our actions? Why do we need to repent of despising the Church and begin to love her aright?

If we can see the Church as our own body, we will want to nourish it, to comfort it, to cherish it. Our actions will be one of true love. The type of love is well illustrated in Hosea. Hosea uses the figure of marriage and adultery. When I look at the many demonstrations and see the fruit thereof, I see adulteress behavior rather than behavior following the will of God. But just as Hosea was directed to forgive, and forgive, and forgive, we too must have faith in the cleansing power of God to transform the Church, our body and forgive. We need to fall on our knees daily and prayer for God's transforming power to renew the Church.

• 11 months later...

We should love the church as it is our own body because it IS our own body! We should care for the church body just as we care for ourselves. We are one in Christ, so we should treat each other as Christ treats us. He died for us and gave everything for us though we did not deserve it. We should treat other members the same way. And we all know none of us deserves anything!

I have despised the church (and have also been in some pretty abusive ones) and ultimately tried to stay away, but have come back and have had a change of heart. I am the bride of Christ and I love Jesus and though things in the church may not be perfect, I have decided to live as he lived, taking His hand, watching His eyes for even a hint of concern and waiting to see what He would show me. That takes power by the Holy Spirit (there for the asking) and fruit of the Spirit. I used to try to "go it alone" and saw everything wrong that needed changed. I let disappointments turn to despair. My heart was right in wanting a more pure and holy body but I wasn't patient or kind or long suffering. Too much zeal. Now, seeing my own faults and sinfulness, I am reminded often to remember where I have been and the things I do that aren't so perfect and that makes it easier to humbly look on another. I have much more trust in God to make things right in His time and in His way and to pray more. I heard a Christian teaching on TV about everyone experiencing disappointments from other people but that despair in those disappointments was a choice. Disappointments will always come....but to give up because of them is our choice. If we truly see ourselves in Christ together and Him as our head, we can trust Him with our disappointments and forgive and go on, waiting to see what He, in His infinite wisdom is doing. If everyone does that, the disdain is gone and we begin to trust that no matter what is happening, we don't have to be striving in it and that if we love more than judge, then people are touched and changed. Through it all, we are submitted to Him, we are safe in Him and we are growing too!

I do see the church as beautiful now and just my change of attitude has made a difference with others. It's more a spiritual connection now with people more accepting and forgiving and that's`really beautiful to see. There is Godly peace and a willingness to step out and try to understand another and at the very least know they can be different from ourselves and accept them as is. I still won't be a part of churches that are abusive with false beliefs and that don't teach the Gospel, but a church with a heart for God.....well.....nothing is ever going to defeat her!

• 1 month later...

Q6. (Ephesians 5:28-30) In what sense should we love the Church because it is our own body? Because we are part of it? What will that kind of love produce in our actions? Why do we need to repent of despising the Church and begin to love her aright? Exposition

In my physical body, I don't cut my feet off because that would hurt.

Now we should love eachother like our own body.

Then we don't hurt eachother.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Jesus is the head of the church and we are His body. We are united to Him and by Him. He gave His life for us and has enlived us by the Holy Spirit. We all come to Christ and are healed by Him in the same way. We must humble ourselves and love one another and not despise each other because we are a mirror of what Christ has done for each one of us.

• 1 month later...

6a)Each of us are part of the one body,one spirit with Jesus Christ as our Lord.

B)We must break through our stubbornness,blndness,self-absorbed denom traditions, that can prevent the church of Jesus from being all she can be, to a people who can become again the glorious wife,visible representative of JC on earth.

C)Jesus’s love will be evident in our words and actions,as we listen, encourage, give hope,pray for the needy and lost in our world who don’t yet know Jesus.

d)Talking down church&people in it is not glorifying Christ and helping others to receive him.We need to repent of this, and in humility receive HS allowing him to change us where we need him to,as a church & individually&truly love each other in His name. :D

• 2 weeks later...

6. a. We should love each other as we love ourselves. We are responsible for the teachings we give to our fellow Christians. They Must be Bible based.

b. We can see the sins and misconduct of others,just as we see our own, but must remember they can be forgiven and cleansed just as we can.

cd Sometimes it isn't despising the church, but disappointment. Forgive them as Christ forgives us. Pray.

• 3 weeks later...

The sense that we should love the Church because it is our own body is that we are needed in that body to keep it healthy. We all have a part in the body and if we don’t do our part then that part of the body is sick.

The kind of life that produces our actions is that of loving the Lord. If we love him then we will do what He wants us to do. We need to repent of despising the Church and begin to love her so that we can be what God really wants us to be. He gave us his son for all not just for just a few churches.

• 3 years later...

In today's society, people look at the church as a building where they go once a week. However, Jesus never meant for the church to be a building. He meant for us to be the body of the church. We are to be the ones that go out and to minister to those that need it. We should not leave all the work to the Pastor. He is only to guide us and keep us on tract. He is to be a mentor. We need to grow the church by growing ourselves in the Love of Christ. We need to move from the pews in the building to be active disciples of Christ. We need to live our lives as examples of love, understanding and caring people just like Jesus was when He walked this earth.

• 2 months later...

we should love the church as we love our own bodies just as a woman and a man, a husband and wife are of the same body then we should love the church just as a husband and the wife are to love each other. this love between man and woman, husband and wife is a mystery which is provided for us by God the Creator. in the same function the love between people and the church is also a gift from God, this love is agape love. a love that is not a selfish love but love that is giving and forgiving. A love that never ends. our love for the church should be the same. a love that never ends.

such a love will produce actions in us that we will not understand. these actions will be unselfish, they will be giving, they will leave for others and for the church.this love will produce love for others, I love that will create in us a desire to do deeds of piety that will astonish ourselves and others.this love will be so astonishing that it will be contagious and others will also begin to do deeds off great magnitude. in such a fashion the church will grow, our God will be glorified and on earth there will be peace.

we are to love the church and certainly not despise the church. if we despise the church we are in sense sinning against the Holy Spirit for the Holy Spirit loves the church. if we despise the church we not only hurt to church but we also hurt ourself. if it is the case that we despise the church we must repent and begin to love anew.

• 3 years later...
On 5/29/2003 at 8:27 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

We are members of Christ’s body, of His flesh, and of His bones.  The Lord cherishes His Church as a man should cherish his wife as their own body.  He that loves his wife loves himself.  The love that lasts forever, through the good and the bad times.  Because the Church is good at least most are and they mean well.  However you go to some Churches and they lack faith, they are spiritually dead.  A woman at my Church was coughing through the whole service.  After the service I asked what her name was, and said that I would pray for her to be healed.  Her response was kind but lacked faith she said I have a condition in my lungs that I will always have.  I was thinking God could cure her in less than a second of time if she had the faith.  I still prayed for her, and believe she will be cured for I have the faith, it’s her faith I question.  I want to place a bolt of faith in my Church with the help of God.  Believers not doubters, you don’t just go to Church on Sunday and listen to the message the Spirit of the Lord is there.

• 2 years later...

In what sense should we love the church because it is our own body?

Husband love your  wive just as Christ also loved the church and gave himself for her.So husband ouhgt to love their own wives as their own bodies.He who loves his wife loves himself,for no one ever hated his own flesh but nourishes it.

Because we part of it. 

Yes, because also loved us.

Why do we need to repent of despising the c.

What hurch and begin to love her aright .

Jesus said to his disciples whoever wants to be His disciple must deny himselfand take the cross and follow Him.(Math16:24) Jesus also said He is the vine, we are the branches,he who abides in Him, and He in him, bears much fruit for without Him we can do nothing. Those who abides in him you will see them with the fruits which love and the others that Galatians 5 :22-23spoke about.