JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. The Exalted Christ

Jesus is the Head of the Church. Here His sovereignty is shown to John to prove He is Lord, not just a teacher. We are to be encouraged and elated to know that He reigns over our lives! We must recognize and confess Jesus as Lord and Savior, because that is the basis for our whole faith--without Him, we have no communion, or right to commune, with the Father!

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

' The vision of Christ among the lampstands (1:12-20) is much different than the Carpenter-Teacher who walked the roads of Galilee and Judea. Why? What overall emotions is this vision of Jesus among the lampstands designed to evoke in the reader? Why is this understanding of Jesus important to a balanced faith?'

For when He walked in the Flesh He came as the Lamb... testimony, sacrifice, victory.

For while He now stands in the Midst of the Candlesticks He is now reflective of All His Glory... and shall come back as a Warring Lion.

To evoke Hope, Faith, Belief, and know that one day we will also be with Him. To know we only overcome by Him; we are Victorious through Him.

Balance would have to be Focus; on Him alone.

sunshine

He walked as a carpenter-teacher to save mankind, to instruct them and make them aware of the presence of God. Now He comes in judgement.

The emotions of awe and fear are evoked by the vision.We need to remember that not only is our God a loving God, but an awesome God that will come to judge us. In keeping with scripture, we are to fear as well as love God.

The vision of Christ among the lampstands evoked in me a sense of awe and wonderment. The Carpenter-Teacher image I have become familiar with that He has become a Friend - one who I can share everything with. However, when I reflected on the vision of Christ among the lampstands, it reminds me who Jesus really is ... GOD, the Almighty, the Creator, the Ever-living Presence... in other words, His Divinity.

This understanding of Jesus, the son of Man - being truly human in all aspects and this vision of Jesus among the lampstands - His Divinity is very important for me for a balanced faith. It is also a challenge for me to remain focus on God Alone and all I do is for and in His Glory.

The vision that I have of Christ on earth is gentle, kind, soft spoken - but in Revelations 1:12-20 - it shows a vision of Him in all His glory - as Lord of lords and King of kings. The garment down to His feet - the golden girdle and the beard as white as snow and eyes as a flame of fire with feet like brass and a voice as the sound of many waters. (Awesome!)

What overall emotion is this vision of Jesus among the lampstands? It is an emotion of awe, reverence, and respect. He is the light of the world - Christ in all His glory. When we see Him, I think we will all fall at His feet as dead, like John did. Even though John fell at His feet as dead, Jesus lay His hand upon him and told him to fear not.

Why is this understanding of Jesus important to a balanced faith? Jesus is loving, kind, gentle and longsuffering but He is also a God of wrath and judgement. He is the Light of the world. We should follow His light and live a life He would be pleased with. He loves us. He's my best friend.

Carpenter/Teacher was/is Jesus Christ. Therefore, the light is Jesus also. First he came as a man to us to tech us the Word of God and died for our sins. The Light represents the presence of Jesus Christ in our lives. It represents to me the presence of the Holy Spirit.

In this passage of scripture we see a different christ than the usual, sacrificial lamb slaughtered at the alter, but rather a strong warrior, clad with full armour and judgement against the wicked. I am personally thankful to be on the side of such a strong force as jesus christ! i believe there are times in a christians life that this form is applicable. guidance of the holy spirit is highly recommended!

The vision of Jesus is different in Revelation because his role is different. Carpenters build, teachers teach. Throughout the Bible He is building hispeople and teaching them His ways. In Revelation He is now carrying out judgement of all people on earth! Jesus among the lampstands evoked in me, that He is among his people and his Father's house. He is omnipotent and right. This understanding is important because Jesus builds us up and teaches us the ways of God's word. But we have to remember that we must have true faith for judgement will come in the end.

The language to describe Christ in these verses is regal. His attire reminds me of nobilaty. He is perfect power. He now lives in his kingdom and speaks with all authority as apposed to a humble teacher knowing his is going to his death.

This helps us know that Jesus is our friend and he loves us, but he is also our Lord. To have a Lord means a life of servitude. You do your Lords will not your own. He will protect you with his power.

:P:D im so glad we have these sicriptures for me i see the one who is all

He is the 1st an the last the A to Z he was 1st in heaven an left it for us then show an a baby an the sprit of God above provideing for him then a fleshly man or human like all of us ladys included suffering but never loseing site of the work God had for him to do then we see him comeing back to life now we see the whole picture we see the Power of God in the form of total power and able to protect an provide for us in anything an everything we need

B):wub:

We now see Jesus with His distinctive features that have not been seen before. He is no longer the Son *only*. We now see Jesus as the exhalted Ruler.

:o I am awed by this powerful Jesus . . . as John is.

Yet Jesus assures John & us, as Believers, to have no fear of Him even as He has control over the keys.

The vision of Christ among the lampstands, brings to mind God of the old testament - possessive, overseeing, active. As for why? - I'm not sure, yet. I do know that the vision of Jesus among the lampstands is one of assurance; lampstands=church church=people people=me - God with us (me) That's assurance!

This understanding of Jesus confirms that the Father and Jesus are one. God of the old testament and Jesus of the New Testament are the same - yesterday, today and forever. This knowledge strengthens (my) faith.

I am a little behind in my postings due to hurricane Isabel, my thoughts and prayers go out to all who suffered this natural disaster.

Q4. The vision of Christ among the lampstands (1:12-20) is much different than the Carpenter-Teacher who walked the roads of Galilee and Judea. Why? What overall emotions is this vision of Jesus among the lampstands designed to evoke in the reader? Why is this understanding of Jesus important to a balanced faith?

In reguards to the "Golden Lampstands" being they represent the seven Churchs of asia. They are to be the light of the world.

He (Christ) is the condition (salt) to meet the needs of the world. His mission (light) is to clearly shine forth into the darkness of human depravity.

He make's it clear that he didn't come to destroy the law (of Moses) but rather show the fulfillment of the spiritual intention of the law.

We have to understand the defference between the Old Testament law and the teaching's of Christ in the New Testament. (The old tradition allowed it.) ( The new Commanded it.)

Jesus came down to earth to identify with the humanity and fulfil the God's plan of salvation for the fallen mankind. And when His bride, the church is going through so many trails and tribulations, it so much reassuring to see the Savior in his true form as the King of Kings and son of God. in all his glory and power, that He is able to do what He has promised.

As the carpenter-teacher Jesus lived a human life. He suffered the same temptations we do. He experienced physical hunger and thirst, he got tired and weary.

Yet He was without sin.

The vision of Jesus among the lampstands shows Him in His honor and glory. He comes as a conquerer-the King of kings. He is the Light that will eliminate the darkness of the world.

It's important that we look back at what Christ did for us on the cross.

However, we need to look forward to the future when Jesus comes to reign on earth in all His glory.

Jesus among the Lampstands. i.e., Christ among the Churches. His early ministry while on earth was of establishing the Kingdom of God through the work of Salvation. that part is over. Now He is among the churches, His right hand holding the stars (angels).

Angels are our designated gaurdians(keepers - security) His right hand is holding the security of the churches. While on the earth, He taught and established His Base (Kingdom of God) and now He is taking care that the churches (Kingdom of God) do not perish. That they grow from strength to strength. The security of the churches are in His right hand. According to His word, he is faithful. The One who started the good work will be faithful till He finishes it. What a great picture of security. Amidst the threat of persecution, tempations of materialism etc., He is there to see His church through.

Lampstands are a source of light, i.e., the churches are a source of light unto the world. In other words, the churches are to witness and thier sole business is to show the light of the gospel through witnessing.

So the picture here is Jesus is standing among the church, telling the church at large that it has to go about its business of witnsessing and spreading the light.

He, on His part assures that He will take care of the security aspect, which is in His right hand.

The vision John describes is of the glorified triumphant Christ. The reader is struck with awe and reverent fear at this amazing depiction of Christ. This understanding of Christ is important if Christians are to have a balanced faith. The Carpenter-Teacher was certainly fully divine in nature, but God came in Jesus having first emptied God's self of all the majesty due to the eternal King. Now we see that the One who was present at creation is again on the throne of glory and will reign from there for ever more.

:) The vision of Christ among the lampstands (1:12-20) is much different than the Carpenter-Teacher who walked the roads of Galilee and Judea because John's vision was symbolic representation of Christ which describes His divine attributes and of His being God, the Son - the Exalted Christ! While that of Jesus being the Carpenter-Teacher, came to earth in the flesh as the Son of man, a human being - sought and saved the lost and destroyed the works of the enemy.

The overall emotions this vision of Jesus among the lampstands designed to evoke in the reader is really awesome and splendid, seeing and knowing the strength and power of Jesus through this descriptions. I wish I can have the same experience like John had, he was so privileged. Truly He was the disciple whom Jesus' loved.

This understanding of Jesus is important to a balanced faith because we will recognize Him as though He came to live as man and did the will of His Father here on earth, He was and is and will always be in truth the Son of God who reigns now and forever. Amen!!! Glory to God!!!

He is an all-powerful and exalted conqueror. He is glorified and transcendant (above all things). It is important to understand Jesus in this way because He is not only our personal, accesible friend, but He is the transcendant God of the universe.

Many times I forget this and take Him for granted. I neglect time with Him because I don't see Him as the most incredible, exalted person that will ever be.

Throughout the NT the focus is on Jesus' life on earth and how God gave us his only son who lived a life experiencing the trials, tribulations, and joys of his brothers and sisters. He lived a godly life full of examples for others to follow, prepared his deciples to continue proclaiming His words, and died for our sins. Revelation shows the second coming of the son of God, and rather than Jesus' very human experiences mentioned in previous books in the NT, He is described with splendor, honor and glory; as a conqueror, worthy of all praise.

Q4. The vision of Christ among the lampstands (1:12-20) is much different than the Carpenter-Teacher who walked the roads of Galilee and Judea. Why? What overall emotions is this vision of Jesus among the lampstands designed to evoke in the reader? Why is this understanding of Jesus important to a balanced faith?

The Carpenter-Teacher who walked the roads of Galilee and Judea, was a human being. He was born of a woman, of the line of David, He was the second Adam,(Romans 5:12-21) but He bought back what Adam lost though disobedience.

He was equal with God,(Philippians 2:6-11), yet took on the form of man, to redeem us, man, back from satan, and free us from the slavery to sin. He became the sacrificial lamb required by God through the old testament, but this lamb was not the first born unblemished lamb of a flock. This was the first born of God, unblemished by any sin, this was the Lamb of God.

The Our triune God, three Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, is the most infinite mystery there is. God is One God, but He is three in one. I can not comprehend it with my finite mind, but my spirit redeemed by Christ can! And I know in my spirit, that Jesus was God when He lived among us, but He was also man. He choose to be obedient to the Father. Some how He put away His divinity, and was just a man, but not. Hebrews 4:15 says He was tempted in all points, like we are, but without sinning.

Yet, 2 Corinthians 5:21 says that God the Father made Jesus who knew no sin, to be made sin for us. That in Jesus's sacrifice, we might be made the Righteousness of God! To me that means that God sees Jesus when He sees me. The bible says that our own righteousness is as filthy rags, and only Christ shed Blood can cover me so God sees Christ's righteousness when He sees me.

Christ was made to be sin while he hung on the cross, and God the Father could not look upon all that sin of the world, past, present, and future, and God the Father had to look away. The pain of that brief separation, must have been terrible, for it's the only time Jesus cried out. "My God, My God, why have you forsaken Me?"

When the reason why Jesus came to live here in human form was accomplished, He said, "it is finished".

But, did He raise for the dead as man or God? I haven't studied that too much. But now He is the Son of God, the Lamb of God, the Alpha and the Omega, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. He was equal with God the Father before He became man, and He is equal to God the Father now. My finite mind can't quite grasp it, but my spirit can, and in my spirit, I know that I know!!