JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Anointing and Spirit

Q3. (1 Samuel 1:13) What is the significance of Samuel anointing David?

The significance of Samuel anointing David is to show his trust and faith is in the God of Israel, his anointing David displayed confidence in God's choice to whom will be King of Israel, and it was not done by chance.

What is the significance of the Holy Spirit coming upon David?

The significance of the Holy Spirit upon David is that he would be equip to succeed as king, David was a man after God's own heart, therefore the Holy Spirit would be a powerful source in his life, giving wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD.

How does this explain his success?

The Holy Spirit empowered David to succeed, and he did succeed because he feared God and allowed the Holy Spirit to work in his life.

How is the Holy Spirit upon us vital for our own success as disciples?

The same thing holds true for our success as disciples, that we fear God and follow the Holy Spirit's leading, and not be as Saul having a rebellious heart, (rebellious means bitter) for we must have a heart for God as David did.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (1 Samuel 16:13) What is the significance of Samuel anointing David?

The significance, the implication, the meaning was great, it signified that David was appoint for use by the Lord. This practice, the pouring of the anointed oil on one's head was a symbolic act officially, designating and setting apart a person for a certain, public, leadership function in the community. This event was normally a one-time event much like an inauguration or ordination, however David did have two other . The three kinds of leaders anointed for their ministries in the Old Testament: priests, Exodus. 28:41; kings, 1 Samuel. 10:1; and prophets, 1 Kings. 19:16.

It was significant for we know that from the Scriptures that this kingship has a connective line to Christ and the fulfilling of prophecy.

The act was an important symbolic act, there was also a spiritual importance, not only for David, but also for Samuel. Verse 1 of the chapter (16) Samuel was grieved concerning Saul being rejected as king by the Lord. "And the LORD said unto Samuel, How long wilt thou mourn for Saul, seeing I have rejected him from reigning over Israel? Although Samuel was frightened, he obeyed the Lord, as he obeyed step by step he saw the Lord's Will in operation.

The Holy Spirit coming upon him shows God approval, similarly Luke 3:22 And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.

Samuel knew that David was God's choice for king, I don' t know he told Jesse, David, or the elders present, the elder's wanted to know if he came peaceably. Perhaps they had heard of the recent encounter with Saul. Although David was selected at this time there was a delay before he took office. In a sense he was going to groomed, he became Saul's armor-bearer. Yes David was a harp-player and a songwriter. Yes he became an anointed, prophetic songwriter. The significance of the coming upon him would empower him in many ways, being able to remain prudent, kind extending grace, love and other things with a man under the influence of an evil spirit, David would need the power of the Holy Spirit. David would learn a lot of what was good as he was under Saul's leadership and he would learn a lot that was not good. Once he became king he would have not only experiences gain from being a shepherd, but also of someone from the administration of the king. would take

The Holy Spirit's empowerment for the work ahead, though he was not perfect, as he adhered to the Spirits leading David exercised courage, wisdom, leadership, etc..

Very much the same as it did David, He will empower us to accomplish the Will of the Lord. As we adhere to His leading we will be salt, light, messengers and ambassadors that will reflect Him.

Samuel anointed David because God took his Spirit from Saul. Saul did things that was not right, he turned from God.

The Holy Spirit is the guide that God gives us to help us make the right decisions. David was no different, he was a lowly Shepard. God would prepare him for service.

David's success would depend on David himself, but David knew the God in which had him anointed and knew obedience brings blessings.

The Holy Spirit is what lives in us and help us in the way God would want us to go. Some people would say they had a gut feeling about something, that is the way the Holy Spirit leads us. As long as the Holy Spirit is invited to stay, He will. But if the Spirit is taken away from us we will have it come to the foot of the cross again.

Q3. (1 Samuel 16:13)

What is the significance of Samuel anointing David?

The moment David was anointed, the Spirit of the LORD came powerfully upon him and left Saul. It would be years before David wore Saul’s crown, but from this day forward the kingdom was secure for David. Unlike Israel’s first king, David the second king, would be from the tribe of Judah and his lineage would be connected with the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. The Holy Spirit coming upon David empowers him and we read how he is directed to carry out God’s will. The Holy Spirit empowers David with leadership qualifications, at the same time providing him with unexpected opportunities of service. The Holy Spirit also uses the skills and faith of David to defeat those who would defy God; also protecting him from evil enemies. During his lifetime David learns to place his trust in God for divine aid. Although flawed in many respects, David is still mentioned as a man after God’s own heart. As far as our success as disciples is concerned – without the power of the Holy Spirit we are helpless to do the will of God and glorify Jesus Christ. As we abide in Christ, we receive the power we need. Jesus Himself said, “… apart from Me you can do nothing” (John 15:2).

What is the significance of Samuel anointing David? God sent Samuel to anoint David because he was going to be the next King. Although, there was still a king in place God wanted to give David his blessing (anointing) and the power of the Holy Spirit because he knew the journey David had to take. God consecrated (equipped) David for battle. The Bible has shown several times that when God announces approval of someone they are usually anointed.

What is the significance of the Holy Spirit coming upon David? The Holy Spirit is a gift from God, and when you receive it you have the gift of power from God to do glorious and marvelous work for the Lord. This is like when Jesus told Peter in Matt. 16:19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven and whatsoever thou shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven and whatsoever thou shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. This tells me my God and the Angels in heaven are helping me when I am equipped with the power of the Holy Ghost….Halleluiah!!

How does this explain his success? After, this David becomes a man (no more a shepherd boy) who defeated Goliath and becomes King. I am also refering back to Dr. Wilson qoute I agree with him when he said " When the Holy Spirit comes in power upon David it empowers him. The young man had been a harp-player and songwriter. Now he becomes an anointed, prophetic songwriter and the "sweet singer of Israel" The boy who has courageously defended his flock against the lion and the bear, now becomes the mighty warrior who defends his country against giants and Philistines."

I personally as a Christian I need the power of the Holy Spirit daily for guidance, comfort, and to fight against the principalities of this world. “For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against power, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.” Eph. 6:11. Jesus said when He leaves He would send us a comforter (Holy Spirit) who will guide us. John14:16-18 & John 14:26. Remember, ‘He said He would never leave you nor forsake.’

--I pray Jesus please don’t take your Holy Spirit away from me

Samuel's anointing David confirmed God's choice of the next king of Israel. The Holy Spirit's coming upon David gave him empowerment for the work ahead. The Holy Spirit upon me is vital for me to accomplish the assignments that God has ordained for me to accomplish in the Kingdom of God. Holy Spirit is my companion who constantly guides me to be in the light. Holy Spirit helps me to conquer fear and increase my faith. Holy Spirit helps me to grow in the love of God.

It was to show that David was God's chosen one to lead the people of Israel. He was set apart to do the Lord's work.

It was to empower him with the necessary wisdom, skills and abilities to lead the country. Even though David had his faults, he was nevertheless a man who had a close relationship with God and the fact that yhe Holy spirit who was His guide and counsellor.

David knew he was doing the Lord's work. He depended solely on God. He obeyed God all the time (almost), and even when he sinned, he begged God not to take His spirit from him. He understood that apart from God, he could do nothing, let alone succeed.

Most of us have our agenda and thus we make our own plans to fulfill our ambitions. However unless we reply on the Holy Spirit for guidance, we may not succeed. Whilst there have been cases of people succeeding even when they do things their way, they may not have peace or satisfaction.

It represents the physical annointing from God through Samuel and the spiritual as the scripture states that "From that day on the Spirit of the Lord came upon David in power."

Since David was already showing that he was a man after God's own heart the Holy Spirit coming into David really signified that God was going to use him for His purposes, and to be the leader/defender of His people not just his father's sheep.

God was behind it.

If God wants us to do something for His kingdom how can we fail?

Q3. (1 Samuel 1:13) What is the significance of Samuel anointing David? What is the significance of the Holy Spirit coming upon David? How does this explain his success? How is the Holy Spirit upon us vital for our own success as disciples?

Samuel had the authority from God to anoint David as God's chosen King for Israel. This wasn't just any "political" move. This was a decree from God who had specifically chosen David to be set apart for a special service.

The Holy Spirit came upon David to guide him into God's will for the Nation. It wasn't "David" reigning so much as the Holy Spirit reigning though him. This wasn't a typical "who's next in line". This was a specific work of God.

David was obedient to listen to and follow the counsel of the Holy Spirit (most times). He sought after God with passion and was obedient to do His will. Going with "God's" plan and not "our" plan is always 100% better! David was successful when he did stay within God's counsel because God is never wrong! He suffered the times he stepped out of the Holy Spirit's wisdom or boundaries.

Why is the Holy Spirit vital for our success?

Same reasons. We need His counsel. We are foolish if we think we can go on our own. To have the anointing of the Holy Spirit insures us of His constant presence, but we have free will to take direction or leave it. He is all knowing and with the greatest wisdom and truth so we really should be seeking Him every day. I love the song. I Need Thee Every Hour. For everything and in everything, we need Him every second! To be disciples, we must follow HIM. Not ourselves or the world. To go out, we need His wisdom and truth in teaching others. It's imperative we listen and are true to the truth.

Samuel anointed David for the purpose to establish him as King over Israel. It demonstrated an official ceremony announce to the public a new leader.

The significant of the Holy Spirit coming upon David is significant to carry on the whole plan of God and to fulfill the divine call of God upon prophecy.

When you are led by God, definitively the result will be imminent and without doubt we will give glory to God. That said we need the same anointing in our live and carry successfully the plan of God in our life.

the significance is that David was already sanctified for God`s use or God`s mandate

the Holy spirit was to empower him

when it comes to the things of God, it can`t be done with physical strenght so success which means achieving your aim comes by the strenght of the Holy spirit

the Holy spirit is our comforter, advocate,strenghtner etc.

The significance of Samuel's anointing resides in him being a proven prophet of God, nationally known and acclaimed, moved by the Holy Spirit to go and somehow mark David as chosen (or provided) one by God for Israël. The stakes are high and the risk Samuel took was outstanding. He definitely was challenging the kingship of Saul by doing what he did but as a man of God he had to obey. It was a major step in the history of Israël!!

As to the HS coming in power over David has tremendous implications for David himself being empowered by God to begin moving into that calling as future king of Israël. The man will never be the same after this and will be groomed through all kinds of tribulations to prepare as king over Israël.

The anointing explains his success in that without God empowering David, he wouldn't have come to that place of true effectivemess. He did respect that reality of the Holy Spirit and began to experience its benefits. He put such tremendous importance to it that he would never dare kill Saul or take his revenge over the one God had also anointed.

The HS upon our lives as disciples is of vital importance for our success as we live a life of dedication in our hearts and genuine desire to see the Lord come through all kinds of situations that would not normally bring results. It is a constant expectation that through the Holy Spirit over our lives, we have what it takes to honor the Lord and let our light shine before men without having any concern for our own lives (cf Mat. 6:33).

WHAT IS THE SINIFIANCE FOR SAMUEL ANOINTING DAVID? THIS WAS DONE INTHE PRESENCE OF MANY PEOPLE AND THE PURPOSEWA THAT THER WOULD BE NO DOUBT WHO GOD HAD CHOSEN. THAT WAS THE REASON FORTH FEAST.

THE IMPORTANCE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT BEING UPON DAVID WAS OF GREAT SIGNIFINACE, IT SHOW TO EVEY ONE THAT HE WAS. CHOSEN PERSON THAT GOD COULD USE, BECAUSE HE ASKED FOR THE LORDS GUDANCE IN ALL THINGS AND ALWAYS GAV PRASIES TO GOD.

DAVID UNDERSTANDS TOTALLY THAT WITHOUT THE ANOINTING, IT WILL LL BE IN VAIN AN NOT PROPOSER.

The significance of Samuel anointing David was a conformation of God's Choosen one to be King of Israel. The significance of the Holy Spirit coming on David was to teach him and lead him in God's direction. God said he was a man after his own heart. This explains his sucess because the Holy Spirit was upon him and God directed his pathway.

The Holy Spirit upon us is vital for our own success as disciples because he teaches us the correct way and give us the wisdom and knowledge to follow Christ Jesus our Lord.

I am not sure how to say this but I have just read through the post and it make me sad to hear the these terms used: teaches US, strengthens US, increases OUR faith, OUR success, leads US. It is not about US. Paul says "take up your cross daily". This means to kill the flesh. Until the flesh (person) is out of the picture the Holy Spirit can not work.

Either the flesh is in control of our life or the Holy Spirit is in control of our life. David learned this as is recorded in 2 Samuel 12: 13-23. From that point on in his life David was dead and the Holy Spirit was alive.

A prayer; Lord what are you doing today could I tag along.

Samuel anointing David was the outward and visible sign that David was chosen by God.

The significance of the Holy Spirit coming upon David was to give him the power (to enable him) for what God had called him to do.

This explains David's success because God was with him.

The Holy Spirit is who enables us to go beyond our human selves for accomplishing God's purpose for us. He enables to live in the world, but not of the world.

Samuel anointed David in obedience to God’s command. This spiritual anointing indicated that David was God’s choice. The Holy Spirit coming on David qualified him to serve with divine power from God. The best evidence of our being predestinated to the kingdom of glory is our being sealed with the Spirit of Promise, and our experience of a work of grace in our own hearts.

Quote from 'JanMary'

"Anointing was an outward sign signifying that David was God's chosen vessel for Kingship. Anointing also brought the presence and power of God to the life of the anointed. (Did not remove the free will, however)"

Thank you for adding the comment in parenthesis. The presence of God's grace and power doesn't force us to follow His will. In David's case, he made several tragic choices. However, the Spirit in him did lead David to repent as He also desires for us to do when we sin.

It is God's way of saying, "This is the man". And also shows others that by Samuel, God's servant, anointing David, that David will be the next King after King Saul dies.

David was no longer just a shepherd of sheep, but the shepherd of the nation of Israel, when King Saul died. Holy Spirit was to instruct David in the ways of God. All people do not know the way of God until the Holy Spirit has entered them.

God, by the Holy Spirit, kept Saul away from David. And the Holy Spirit gave David guidance in being King and his writing of the Psalms.

With the Holy Spirit in us, we can learn the true riches of Jesus as well as the works that God wants us to do. He also is a down payment for our home in glory with God. He is our hope in this world for the next.

Samuel anoints David giving the prophetic gift of the Holy Spirit.This is not a political, earthy ceremony, this is an anointment which come directly through Samuel to David from God.

The Holy Spirit gives power to David. Power to overcome in the worst off circumstances.The Holy Spirit is a gift from God to David. God's Spirit dwells within his soul and heart forever, providing David with wisdom and revelation.

Being anointed with the power of the Holy Spirit gives David power and wisdom to become a great king to God's chosen people. And to overcome his enemies and eventually sin.

In the same way as it was with David.The Holy Spirit is God as teacher, the Spirit give us power through knowledge and wisdom to overcome worldly ideals and to live by God's will. Our faith cannot survive and thrive without God's Holy Spirit.

The significance of Samuel anointing David is the spirit of the Lord came mightily upon David from that day forward.

The significance of the Holy Spirit coming upon David is when the Holy Spirit came upon him, it empowered him.

This explains his success because all by the powerful Holy Spirit who had came upon him.

The Holy Spirit upon us vital for our own success as disciples is the Holy Spirit lives inside the Christian and guides the actions of those who desire His presence. The Spirit empowers the believer to step outside his comfort zone to do extraordinary acts of faith for God. Being filled with the Spirit involves transforming our minds to the mind of Christas we engage in spiritual activities. Walking in the Spirit leads to a sense of peace and joy, as we partner with God in His glorious plans. Violating our conscience through acts of disobedience lead to a loss of filling by the Holy Spirit, which takes away our joy and peace. Although God will not take the Holy Spirit away from a disciple of Jesus Christ, the continual practice of sin and a lack of spiritual activities will lead to a life that is no different than the life of a non-believer.

Q3. (1 Samuel 1:13) What is the significance of Samuel anointing David? It meant David was Gods chosen.

What is the significance of the Holy Spirit coming upon David? God was giving David the power he would need to be a strong leader of Gods chosen people.

How does this explain his success? With God being with him, how could David fail. The glory, success, and strength belong to God.

How is the Holy Spirit upon us vital for our own success as disciples? We cannot lead others to God if we don't know God ourselves. When we surrender to Gods will and give our lives to Him, the Holy Spirit comes into us, helping and guiding us in Gods path.

The significance of Samuel anointing David is that he knows who God wants to be king. It has given David the confidence that he will be able to lead the people when his time comes.

I think the significance of the Holy Spirit coming on David is that now he has somebody to guide him as he leads and even while he follows.

This explains his success because he did follow the Holy Spirit’s leading. The Holy Spirit is vital for our own success as disciples because He is guiding us if we let Him. He is the one that gives us the courage to profess our faith and to be able to talk to others about the Lord.

Q3. (1 Samuel 1:13) What is the significance of Samuel anointing David? What is the significance of the Holy Spirit coming upon David? How does this explain his success? How is the Holy Spirit upon us vital for our own success as disciples?

Samuel was God's prophet and his annointing David would authenticate that David was God's choice to replace Saul.

The Holy Spirit would give David power, strength and knowledge from God which is vital for God's blessing.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

The significance of this is that God has chosen a new King to run Israel, the way He wants it run. And he chose a man that no one thought would be the one, the one that Jesse says "was insignificant".

God chose a man after His own heart.

The significance is to show that when one joins with God, He equips us to do what we need to do, however, whenever, wherever. In the case of Israel now, there was trouble with the Philistines, big and powerful people and how do you fight people like that? with power! God's power!

And also power to rule as the new King seeing there was a King set in place already and it was dangerous for david and Samuel.

His success comes from his obedience to God, power bestowed upon him. Just like the previous King he had God's power upon him until he disobeyed and started doing his own thing.

In order to be successful, we need to be obedient and stay within the spirit of God, His power bestowed upon us as His disciples.