JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Criticism and Praise

Q. Summarize the lessons of this chapter. What are the churches criticized for?

1. Some in the church have left their first love

2. Some taught that the church replaced Israel, a lie of Satan.

3. Some held to false teaching that misleads God's people into sexual sin, a teaching that once a person comes under the blood of Christ, it is ok to do your own thing, when the truth is, you will be judged according to your deeds.

4. Some who call themselves a prophetess of God, teaches toleration of other faiths, and teach what sin God calls abominations, really are not sins of immorality

5. Some are hard workers in the church, but do not see they are dying spiritually, wake up before it is too late.

6. Some held to the teaching of TOLERANCE, leading to a lukewarm Christian, something that makes Christ sick to His being, and will vomit them out.

What are they praised for?

They were praised for being a church full of "faith", good deeds, hard work, and perseverance.

Praise is given to a church that does not tolerate wicked men and sin, and will put to test those who say they are apostles, testing the spirits. A church to be praised stands on the word, and stands strong on the name of Christ, the anointed One of God, Israel's Messiah. A church to be praised walks in righteousness, its light to the world, not putting on soiled clothing, but walking in garments that are white.

Sue D -- A very good summary !! :)

Praise is given to a church that is growing in the Lord, strong in faith and in love.

How should these observations shape the twenty-first century Church?

The church must have an ear to hear, a heart to listen to what the Spirit is saying

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Q5. Summarize the lessons of this chapter. What are the churches criticized for? What are they praised for? How should these observations shape the twenty-first century Church?

The churches are praised for their good deeds, and for their faithfulness in the face of persecution and adversity (where this applies). They are criticized for apathy, and even more so for allowing their moral standards and convictions to be compromised by the "accepted" practices of the societies in which they live. Our churches need to continually examine their behaviour. Revelation can provide insight into our weaknesses and give guidance as to how we might more faithfully follow the word and will of God/Jesus.

• 5 months later...

Q5. Summarize the lessons of this chapter. What are the churches criticized for? What are they praised for? How should these observations shape the twenty-first century Church?

The churches are criticized for: abandoning their first love, following other teachings, tolerating spirits of enticement and sexual immorality, eating food sacrificed to idols, not completing their deeds in the sight of God, for being luke warm, that is, wretched, blind, poor and naked.

The churches are praised for: Patient endurance, toil, sound doctrines, hating the Nicolaitans, having affliction and poverty, yet realizing they are rich, remaining true to His name, deeds, love and faith, perseverance, doing more, keeping His Word and not denying His Name, and enduring patiently.

These all should be used on a daily basis to shape the church and the individual, that is, using the criticism to make us better and showing us what to guard against. All the praise should be used to show us what we need to continue doing. The most important thing is not to abandon our first love, that is Jesus Christ. If we are close to him, continually persuing and increasing our relationship with Him, praying for guidance and studying His Word, then the other things should fall into place. We need to keep all these things in mind and check ourselves often to be sure we are remaining faithful to His Word and direction.

• 2 weeks later...

To summarize the lessons of this chapter each of the churches are representative of the Body of Christ and the various stages of Christian spirituality. The churches are criticized for leaving their first love, encouraging corruption and sexual immorality, also imperfection in service to God. They praised for showing strength in the face of poverty and being small in number. All of these observations should be a lesson and a warning for shaping the twenty-first century Church?

• 1 month later...

Q5. Summarize the lessons of this chapter. What are the churches criticized for? What are they praised for? How should these observations shape the twenty-first century Church? They're criticized for leaving their first faith, allowing immorality to creep into their daily lives, mostly sexual immorality; they are praised for some acts and demonstrations of: love, faith, service, perseverence, continuing to walk with Christ despite the immorality around them. These praises and admonitions still hold true today. It shows the truth of the statement that God is the same yesterday, today and forever. Our God is a jealous God who threatens to punish those who disobey. On the other hand, He is a loving God who promises to bless those who remain steadfast in His word.

• 2 weeks later...

Q5.

Summarize the lessons of this chapter.

What are the churches criticized for?

What are they praised for?

We read that the churches were criticized mostly for having lost their intense and enthusiastic devotion to Jesus, and allowing false teachings to come into the church. Most were praised for their good deeds, hard work, and perseverance. This is very much like our are churches today. We must however, be careful we don

• 2 months later...

Q5. Summarize the lessons of this chapter.

1. What are the churches criticized for?

giving up first love, compromise with the world, apathy

2. What are they praised for?

resistance to false teachers, not giving up, love, being faithful

3. How should these observations shape the twenty-first century Church?

The lessons haven

• 1 month later...

It seems that the churches are primarily criticized for mixing pagan worship with Christianity. It is unacceptable to 'water down' the teachings of Christ. There is also people in the church who's only ambition is to deceive; believers are warned of their presence and expected to deal with the deceit. Still others do not see our dependence on God for what it is; they do not seek after the 'fruits of the Spirit' or worse yet, take the credit for their blessings; refusing to acknowledge all blessings come from God. The churches are praised for clinging to the truth and depending on the name of Jesus. The church is also praised for practicing the gifts of the Spirit,(love, faith, patience, endurance) which is the way others know we are His.

All of these lessons remain the same today as in the past and forever.

These churches are criticized for their failure to endure and remain faithful to Christ and His teachings. They were in a sense wishy-washy, unstable, and ineffective. There is a saying "either you are all for Christ or you are none of His at all" - these churches that were criticized basically had no Christian standing at all. . .

Those that were praised were praised for their determination to endure the persecutions - to stand for Christ no matter what they faced. . . They were praised because their hope was solid and grounded in Christ - they put no confidence in the flesh or the things of the world but were committed to the Lord Jesus and His cause. . .

Today is really no different from yesterday - we face many of the same temptations and trails that these churches faced and the only way that we can resist these temptation and prove faithful in these trials is that we refocus our attention to the Spirit of God and the Word of God and maintain that focus. . . We will be afflicted in many way but the Word of God has promised to "deliver us out of them all". . . Jesus cautioned us in that He told us that "this world is filled with tribulations - but that we need not be afraid because He had overcome the world" and we are also overcomers - but only in Him. . . The Spirit of God tells us that we are "more than conquerors" because of the love that Jesus has for us - and as a result of this love "nothing would be able to separate us from our God". . .

FOCUS-FOCUS-FOCUS - we need to get our eyes - both spiritual and natural "FIXED" on Jesus - set our hearts and minds to endure - that is, not just go through the tests and trials - but to triumph and be victorious through the tests and trials knowing that whatever the outcome in this world - in the end, we win. . .

B)

• 1 month later...

Answer:

SARDIS CHURCH

Criticized;

1. I know your works, that you have a name that you livest, and are dead(Rev 3:1)

2. ..for I have not found thy works perfect before God(Rev 3:2)

3. Forgetfulness- Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard(Rev 3:3)

4. Complacency- hold fast and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief(Rev 3:3)

Praised:

1.Overcomer- Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy(Rev 4:4)

PHILADELPHIA

Criticized:

1. Weak- : for thou hast a little strength(Rev 3:8)

2. There are liars/deceiver in Church- Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie(Rev 3:9)

3. Complacency- Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast(Rev 3:11)

Praised:

1. Diligence/Perseverance- ..hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name(Rev 3:8); Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation(Rev 3:10)

2. Overcomer- Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out;(Rev 3:12)

LAODICEANS:

Criticized:

1. Lukewarm- I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot (Rev 3:15)

2. Prideful/Arrogant- Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing(Rev 3:17).

3. Deceived- and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked(Rev 3:17)

The most common criticism,is about the attitude of Complacency,and in turn to be full of Pride,which is prevalent in so Called Churches today.

The attitude of SPIRITUAL SATISFACTION,and condition of being COMFORTABLE,thinking that they are always right,and assured of SALVATION.

IN SHORT THEY THINK THEY LACK NOTHING,with their relationship with Christ,and in turn become Lukewarm with their approach.The intensity is Gone.The Thirst is gone..They no longer wants to be filled,with the Word thinking that,they have the key to the secret in Heaven.That is why Jesus always need to remind them:BE ON GUARD,HOLD FAST..which I think is the true message of this chapter

These observation,should be taken seriously of the 21st century Churches today,THAT NO ONE HAS REACHED THE FULL KNOWLEDGE OF GOD,WHILE STILL HERE ON EARTH.NO ONE CAN BE SURE OF ITS SPIRITUAL CONDITION..and there is always a tendency to REGRESS.We still need to abide and seek the Lord everyday,for His Guidance,through His Word in The Bible.God knows our weaknesses,and He know our shortcomings.If we are being tested,rebuke it is because He wants to humble us, and will not Slip back,because He consider us His Children.

Rev 3:19-21-19 -As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and. 20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice and open the door, I will come in to him and will sup with him, and he with me. 21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne

Hebrew 12:5-8- And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him: 6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.] 7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? 8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons

• 2 weeks later...

No matter where we go in life, you are going to have people who critisize God and the Churches. We Christians are going to go through hardships and trying times. But we all have to remember that the grass is greener and more beautiful where we are ultimately going. Now more than ever, I think, the Church needs to say to the unfaithful, "Get thee behind me Satan" and wash our hands of this critical world. If we compromise one iota, we will be no better than those that critisize us.

These observences will shape or break the church of the 21st century. Either way you go, you will be oustersized and not listened to. The best way is upward looking to the Heavenly father and don't let Satan get his way.

• 3 weeks later...

Chpts 2 & 3 were written to the church through the ages. Out of 7 churches there are only two that stand out. Jesus has no condemnations for the churches of Smyrna and Philadelphia. What a blessing to see that even in strife they persevered and if faithful will receive riches beyond imagination. On the other hand, 4 churches are addressed as to their commendations before giving their condemnations and warnings. Of these we see the same issues we deal with in the church today - forgetting to put God first in our life, allowing Satan to enter our sanctuary by adhereing to the cultural worldview, and thinking "works" mean more than "love". The strongest commendation goes to Laodicea, a church that is lukewarm to the faith. God said he'd rather them be hot or cold than lukewarm, and that he will spew them out of his mouth. Without a heed to stern warnings, the church could cease to exist unless they renew their faith and ask Jesus to come into their hearts. The message to the 7 churches is a message to every church, and a thorough warning to all of us.

Most important lesson I learned from the letters to the churches is that Christ is and will always be head of the Church. His sovereignty over the church is very distinct and pronounced in all the letters to the seven churches! That being the case, we can only look to Him to shape and transform the churches because He truly sees through all our works, complacency, passion and doctrines. God doesn

• 3 weeks later...

The churches were criticized for there lack of faith,sexual immorality,being neither hot or cold and deeds not completed in th sight of God. The churches were praised for their love, faith, service and for not renoucing God. Love faith, service, and getting into the word of God this is a good foundation for the twenty first century church.

• 1 month later...

Churches are criticized for:

Forsaking their first love, holding on to false teachings and cult practices, being spiritually dead with deeds that that are not complete in the sight of God, being neither hot nor cold in their deeds, they are poor, blind, pitiful and naked.

They are praised for:

Hard work (in some churches) and perseverance, not tolerating wicked men, testing who is`true and who is not, enduring hardships and not growing weary. They are praised for having afflictions and poverty yet remaining rich in the things of GOD, having a willingness to suffer, remaining true to God's name and not renouncing faith in God. Their love, faith and service are growing more and more. They are not soiling their clothing but walking with God in purity and though having little strength, they are keeping God's Word and not denying His name and enduring patiently.

All key to the 21st Century church! We face trials and temptations in all these areas.

I think when Christ says:

"Those whom I love, I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent. Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him and he with me." "He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches."

We should be listening to His Word left for us too!

• 2 months later...

Churches then, and churches now, tend to lose their focus, their first love, their reason for existence. God is patient with us as churches, and merciful. There is no guarantee that our churches will last beyond our generation, in their present form. We are not responsible for what previous generations have done, or what future generations might do. But we we are accountable for what our churches are doing now. We must be about being Jesus to our communities, and showing Jesus to our communities.

• 2 months later...

The chruches critcized for losting their first love which was God.

They was praised for because they know who to go to.

It should let the people know to look to Godthe author of our faith.

• 1 year later...

Churches were criticized for immorality within the body of Christ. They focused more on their own desires instead of the desires of Christ. They lacked love among each other. The church was praised for keeping their faith in Christ even though they were facing tribulations and persecution. Finally, the church was praised for their faith even through poverty. These observations should shape our walk with Christ on a daily basis. No matter what we are going through or are about to go through, never take our eyes off the prize (JESUS CHRIST OUR LORD).

• 3 weeks later...

Jesus is portrayed many ways in these 2 chapters. He is the First, Last, the one who died and came to life, he has a sharp double edged sword for a tongue, eyes like fire, and feet like burnished bronze. He hold the 7 spirits of God and the 7 stars. He is holy, true and holds the Key of David. He speaks the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God's creation. He praises, he critizes, he gives encouragement. There is a penality to face if the church does not change and there is a reward for those who do well. He gives us a promise. He gives us an admonition. He gives us hope. No matter where we are in these churches there is hope, we can change! The churches are praised for loyality, tithing and love. They are citicized for sexual immorality, being spiritually dead, following Satan and being neither hot or cold. Our churches today need to read and study these churches. Everyone of us can find our church in one of these. It is not too late to change. We have the promise of the tree of life, hidden manna, the morning star, being acknowledged before the Father, being given a new name and the right to sit with him on the throne.. "He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches."

• 3 weeks later...

In summary and not delineating each church, they were criticized and praised as follows:

Criticized for:  Love for Christ no longer fervent; tolerating sexual immortality; idolatry; heresies; tolerating cults; being a dead church, and indifference.

Praised for:  Rejecting evil; persevering; patience; gracefully bearing suffering; keeping the faith of Christ; love; service; faith; spiritual development; growth in love, faith and service;  keeping the Word of Christ and honoring His name.

Jesus said:  "He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches."  Rev. 2:29  The commendations, criticisms, instructions, and promises to churches apply now just as they did at the end of the 1st Century.  Nothing has changed. The individal believer as well as the church corporately must "be faithful" to the father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  It is all about faithfulness to God and that should shape the twenty-first century church.

(Not that I will list all but here is some as a key for myself)---

#1 CHURCH                       Ephesus                      

Criticism                       "thou hast left thy first love"  

Praise:   Their deeds; not tolerating wicked people; testing and finding out if individuals who claim to be apostles are genuine and found them false; not tolerating wicked people;  persevered and endured hardships for Christ's name and not grown weary.

******************************************************************                                                                   

#2 CHURCH                            Smyrna

Criticism                                 None Praise:          Directions about going to jail and being willing to give their physical life up ********************************* #3 CHURCH                      Pergamum Criticism        Committing sexual immorality and false idols and false teachings Praise: "you remain true to my name. You did not renounce your faith in me...." **************************************** #4 Church                Thyatira Criticism: "You tolerate that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophet. By her teaching she misleads my servants into sexual immorality and the eating of food sacrificed to idols" Praise: "love and faith, your service and perseverance, and that you are now doing more than you did at first..." **************************** #5 Church             Sardis

Criticism:  "you are dead. Wake up! Strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have found your deeds unfinished in the sight of my God"

Praise: "you  have a few people in Sardis who have not soiled their clothes. They will walk with me, dressed in white, for they are worthy. The one who is victoriouswill, like them, be dressed in white. I will never blot out the name of that person from the book of life...."

*********************************** #6 Church            Philadelphia Criticism: None Praise: "I know your deeds. See, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut. I know that you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name.........Since you have kept my command to endure patiently, I will also keep you from the hour of trial that is going to come on the whole world to test the inhabitants of the earth." ***************************************** #7 Church           Laodicea

Criticism: "you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. 17 You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked."

Praise not noted more of counsel: " I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see"

The final part of this question is:   

ANSWER: This is explained in the final verses of Chapter 3: 

"Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent.20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.

21 To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne. 22 Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”

We only need repent and open the door to Christ. It isn't easy to live a Christian life. However, we are promised great rewards for being victorious. What could be greater than setting with Christ. It's wise always to remember, "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and always. JESUS is on the THRONE!" No society or church can remove us from this promise if we simply hold fast to this knowledge. We cannot buy into lies or other falsities. It is the Truth we must seek after.......Praise be to GOD!

• 1 year later...

Dear Church of the 21st Century, we need to get back to our first love of God. We need to remember and live by the two greatest commandments. Love of God and love of others like ourselves. We need to once again walk the walk and talk the talk like Christ once did. Lets forget about the materialistic ideals of the world and look for that spiritual fulfillment that can be ours again,.

Dear Church of the 21st Century, we need to get back to our first love of God. We need to remember and live by the two greatest commandments. Love of God and love of others like ourselves. We need to once again walk the walk and talk the talk like Christ once did. Lets forget about the materialistic ideals of the world and look for that spiritual fulfillment that can be ours again,.

• 1 year later...