JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Imitation and Mentoring

It is MOST important that a new Christian be an imitator of Christ to build a solid foundation in their walk with Christ.

The kind of ministry most conductive to imitation is being Christ-like, showing love, kindness and grace.

The character of a leader/mentor is important because their followers should be able to see the love of Christ within them as our brother Paul demonstrated daily.

People do not grow very well who are not a part of the christian church.

(Hebrews:24-25)

"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. (25) Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourge one another-and all the more as you see the Day approaching."

Character is important in my family and spiritual childern because they are most likely to follow my foot steps. It is most important that my character be good and Christ-like at all times.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (1 Thessalonians 1:5b-6a)

How important is imitation in the formation of a new Christian's spiritual life?

What kinds of ministry are most conducive to imitation?

Why is the character of the mentor or leader so important to the health of the church?

How well do people grow in Christ who aren't part of a Christian community?

In what way is your character important to your family and spiritual children?

A new Christian needs guidance in the early years and will base their conduct on those believers they believe to be model Christians. As this is normally a complete transformation of behaviour, it is most important that they imitate only true Christians. For children Sunday School, and for adults, Bible study groups are the ministries needed to help in the early stages of the new spiritual life. Our leader is normally our role model and therefore it is vital that he/she be of good character, and most definitely displays the fruit of the spirit. Without taking part in a Christian community there are no role models to imitate, although sometimes I feel one escapes the gossiping and backbiting that does occur. In my case, as head of a family, I find it most important that my integrity is beyond reproach. That my word is my word, and that I am always available to all my family.

Q3. (1 Thessalonians 1:5b-6a) How important is imitation in the formation of a new Christian’s spiritual life? What kinds of ministry are most conducive to imitation? Why is the character of the mentor or leader so important to the health of the church? How well do people grow in Christ who aren’t part of a Christian community? In what way is your character important to your family and spiritual children?

I feel that the role of imitation in anyone's life in important its a way that we learn. When we first become a Christian our old ways are still what we know but when we imitate other Christians the new life slowly becomes familiar.

I feel that any area of ministry is able to be imitated until learned or mastered. Plus we have the Holy Spirit dwelling within us to guide and teach as well.

It is difficult for a new Christian to accept and want to live as a Christian if they see the leaders not doing right.

We gain knowledge and relationships with others when we are in a Christian community but if we are not we isolate ourselves which harbors depression,guilt, and no growth.

If I state that I am a Christian then I should want to live and act as a Christian to show others that I am a new person so that others will want what I have, God.

Q3. (1 Thessalonians 1:5b-6a) How important is imitation in the formation of a new Christian’s spiritual life? What kinds of ministry are most conducive to imitation? Why is the character of the mentor or leader so important to the health of the church? How well do people grow in Christ who aren’t part of a Christian community? In what way is your character important to your family and spiritual children?

I feel that the role of imitation in anyone's life in important its a way that we learn. When we first become a Christian our old ways are still what we know but when we imitate other Christians the new life slowly becomes familiar.

I feel that any area of ministry is able to be imitated until learned or mastered. Plus we have the Holy Spirit dwelling within us to guide and teach as well.

It is difficult for a new Christian to accept and want to live as a Christian if they see the leaders not doing right.

We gain knowledge and relationships with others when we are in a Christian community but if we are not we isolate ourselves which harbors depression,guilt, and no growth.

If I state that I am a Christian then I should want to live and act as a Christian to show others that I am a new person so that others will want what I have, God.

Q3. (1 Thessalonians 1:5b-6a) How important is imitation in the formation of a new Christian's spiritual life? What kinds of ministry are most conducive to imitation? Why is the character of the mentor or leader so important to the health of the church? How well do people grow in Christ who aren't part of a Christian community? In what way is your character important to your family and spiritual children?

Imitation is crucially important for new converts because it allows them to see who Christ is through us as the Christian. The word says “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven”.

Every ministry should be conducive to imitation as long as it is the Word of God that they are imitating.

The mentor or leader of the church is the one professing to be called by God to lead His people so their character should be as God and the people as sheeps. If they have the mentality of sheep in wolves clothing then this will be a self will ministry and the people will begin to go astray and have the mentality that they can study at home and follow the TV-Evangelist ministry and not have direct fellowship with others.

There is a hindrance in their growth because there is no knowledge and understanding of the Word because they are attempting to learn without the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Since they have decided to follow their own will and not the word of God. “How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher”? Jesus himself participated in the synagogues as well as the disciples and apostles.

My Character is very important to my family. I have children and grandchildren who looks to me for guidance and if I am not the example of what a Christian Woman should be then how could I expect them to be a model Christian.

Q3. (1 Thessalonians 1:5b-6a)

How important is imitation in the formation of a new Christian's spiritual life?

Imitation is important in the formation of a new Christian's life in that, the new Christian will grow spiritually by seeing how the old Christians are immitating Christ.

The kinds of ministry that are more conducive to imitation are prayers, good deeds, caring for the poor and sick, etc.

Why is the character of the mentor or leader so important to the health of the church?

The character of the mentor or leader is so important to the health of the church because, the followers like to imitate the leaders. Thus, if the leader is of unsound character, he/she may lead members (some) of the church astray as they may imitate his/her bad character; thus destroying the church.

The people who are not part of a Christian community do not grow well in Christ.

My character is important to my family and spiritual children through imitation; that, my family and spiritual children do imitate my character.

It is very very important to be imitators of Jesus Christ. Someone rightly said, The unbelievers willl not see Christ but will see the Christ in me and go towards Christ.

The Ministry which follows the command of Christ to Love God and love the neighbor as thyself is conducive to imitation. The Ministry which can be recognised by its fruit is worthy of imitation.

The leaders have more accountability than anybody else. They become role models like Paul while serving the believers. A life deep rooted in Jesus Christ , with no compromise and a leader who is a doer of the Word of God is the one required to lead others.

People who are not a part of Christian community cannot grow well. We draw strength from our fellow brothers and sisters in the Lord. Without a good fellowship we cannot go on walking a good Christian walk.

My character reflects of who I am .what i am and how I am in Christ. As a mother , i honor Christ and his commands and I teach them to my children. I have to be an example in my day to day life reflecting the nature of Christ to them.

Q3. (1 Thessalonians 1:5b-6a) How important is imitation in the formation of a new Christian's spiritual life? Imitation in the formation of a new Christian's life is very important. New believers need to see others live for Christ, so that they can walk in the newness of life. Like a baby need his/her parents to grow and develop, a new Christian also need mature believers to be an example for them that they may grow and become effective in their walk. We as a people not only learn by studying books we also learn by watching others.

What kinds of Ministry are most conductive to imitation? There are many ministry conductive to imitation such as: Ministry of evangelism, helping hand ministry, attending bible study, attending sunday school, singing on the praise and worship team, Praying and interceding, visiting the sick, and attending worship service,

Why is the character of the mentor or leader so important to the health of the church? The reason character of the mentor or leader so important to the health of the church is because mentor and leader shall not want to cause anyone to fall or hinder the church from growing. They are there representing Christ and introducing Christ to others. They want to be true in their christian walk. Just like we as parent do not want to do any and everything before our children, because we want they to grown up and be men and women of good character. The same with the church, we want our character to reflect our profession. So mentor or leader should always remind themselves that their character is very important to the health of the church.

well people grow in Christ who is not a part of a Christian community? People who are not a part of the Christian community have a harder time growing and being steadfast in their walk. We need other to help us if we are going to grow in maturity.

In what ways are your character important to your family and children? My character is important to my family and children because I am representing Christ and witnessing for Christ. I want them to see Christ in me. I do not want them to not want to be apart of the Christian family by what i say or do. Christ has call us to a high calling in Him, and I want the best for my family and children. It is up to me to let my light shine that they may see Christ in me and glorify Him and they will become witness and example for others.

For a new Christian imitation in the formation is important to learn and grow spiritually. A God breathed ministry is healthy. It is amazing the great promises in the Bible we refuse to believe because they are not part of what we have been taught in the past. We should not be afraid to listen to what is said and check for ourselves by reading the bible and talking to God about it, to see if it is really true. We need to have open hearts. God's word and our hearts will affirm the truth to us, when we hear truth. our minds may be closed, but our hearts must be open to God, to allow Him to do new things in our everyday lives. God will guide those who are willing to follow Him. we as parents/grandparents need to be an example to our children/ grandchildren by obeying God's word and express our christian faith.

For a new christian imitation in the formation is important to learn and grow spiritually. A God breathed ministry is healthy, and it is amazing the great promises in the Bible we sometimes refuse to believe, because they are not part of what we have been taught in the past. We should not be afraid to listen to what is being said and then check it out for ourselves by reading the Bible

and talking to God about it. We need to have open hearts. God's word and our hearts will affirm the truth to us, when we hear the truth. Our minds may be closed, but our hearts must be open to allow God to allow Him to do new things in our everyday lives. God will guide those who are willing to follow him.

We as parents/ grandparents need to be an example to our children/grandchildren by obeying God's word and to express our Christian Faith.

Q3. (1 Thessalonians 1:5b-6a) How important is imitation in the formation of a new Christian’s spiritual life?

We are to imitate the character and actions of the leaders in the Christian community. As they love and serve others, so should we.

In my opinion the ministries that are open to public scrutiny, like providing the necessities of life to the poor and needy. That's a Biblical principle that some churches overlook.

We're given in Paul's letter to Timothy the standard of character of an elder in the church. Sometimes a church will appoint someone to a leadership position even if they don't have good character but are obviously gifted in some way. That's opening the door to all sorts of problems for the Spiritual life of the church. In some churches the leadership may be totalitarian and that too is harmful to the congregation. My own sister used to attend a church in which the elders became nothing less than dictators. They'd been involved in a deliverance ministry and made the mistake of dialoging with a demon instead of binding it to silence. Sure enough, they believed the demon's lies and it wasn't ling before the church was operating under a real "doctrine of demons". That chuch eventually fell apart completely but not before they'd produced dozens of damaged Christians in that city.

How well do people grow in Christ who aren’t part of a Christian community?

It's a lot harder to grow on your own. Unfortunately that's my situation at the moment.

Children notice everything their parents do and think it's not only the right thing, but the only thing. I think spiritual children would be the same. We have to set a good example.

Q3. (1 Thessalonians 1:5b-6a) How important is imitation in the formation of a new Christian's spiritual life? What kinds of ministry are most conducive to imitation? Why is the character of the mentor or leader so important to the health of the church? How well do people grow in Christ who aren't part of a Christian community? In what way is your character important to your family and spiritual children?

We imitate our teachers. If they minimize the importance of scripture or prayer or anything we tend to also. I was fortunate that the Lord led me to a group of sincere believers who went by the Word as sincerely as they could, who loved the Lord and it was reflected in their love of each other.

Good character matters. 1 Corinthians 15:33, 34 says Be not deceived, evil speakings corrupt good manners. Awaken to live righeousnessly and sin not: for some have not the knowledge of God."

People not involved as part of the Christian community don't grow (with few exceptions).

God Bless

Jen

Romans 15:13

1. We have to walk in the image of Christ if we say we are christians to draw others to Christ. If we walk the walk then we must talk the talk. if we say we are christians then let us walk in the image of our Saviour Jesus Christ.

2.If we leave out the Holy Spirit then there is no ministry.

It has to be there. Pray for the sprit if you can not feel it in a service.

3. The leader has to be a beliver of Christ and live his life in the image of Him. A leader and is someone that tells the truth and belives in what he tells others. He is to be strong faith and tells other about the true word in our bible.

4. The bible tells us if we dont' hear how can we learn.It is our duty to tell others about Christ we are all minister of Christ and need to go where the word is not heard.

5.I fail daily but it is very important to live my life so my family can see Jesus in me and pass it on to others.

Q3. (1 Thessalonians 1:5b-6a) How important is imitation in the formation of a new Christian's spiritual life?

Imitation is very important formation, structure, or development of a new Christian’s spiritual life. Leaders have to make sure that they are following and imitating Christ for those following them to have godly characters.

Godly pastors, preachers, teachers, evangelists, parents, and mentors roles encourage those that are following them. It is very important that they are living Christ like lives before others.

The character of the mentor or leader is important to the health of the church, because when they are not striving to live holy lives before God and man it destroys their testimony in the church and community.

People can grow in Christ without being a part of a Christian community, but they will be limited in their view of the Christian family.

We have been commanded in God’s Word to “not to forsake the assembly of ourselves together.” Also, with God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit they are one and unified.

When we choose not to be part of a Christian community we are separating ourselves from those who are like-minded.

No man is an island, and when we choose not to join the Christian community are we really obeying the Word of God? The Word of God tells us to esteem others better than ourselves.

Are we “humbling” ourselves under the God’s mighty Hand?

Hebrews 10:25 – “Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.”

I Peter 5:7 – “Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:”

Philippians 2:2-4 – “Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.4 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.”

My character, actions, and words are very important to my family and spiritual children, because they will emulate the things I do. Plus, I do not want to hinder someone from coming to know Jesus Christ as their personal Savior, with a negative testimony, nor grieve the Holy Spirit of God who lives within me.

Imitation is very important to a new Christians because they don't have a clue as to what a genuine follower of Christ looks like. It needs to be properly modeled for them by a genuine follower of Christ.

It is important that the character of the mentor/leader be true, pure and believable to others so that a corrupt example of the Christian life/walk is not displayed leading others astray or turning others from the Church. This applies to all of my family -- church and biological.

People do not grow in their Christian faith properly and Biblically outside of the Church (body of Christ).

• 2 weeks later...

Immitation becomes very vital in the formation of a new christiain. The new born christian observes every action and behavoiur of a strong matured christian and follows the same example.

Spending time at the feet of the Lord and taking guidance from his Holy Spirit , reading the word of God and living by the principles of the word of God are major requriements for a new believer to build his christian faith.

The word of God says in 1 peter 1:15-- But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written Be holy, as I am Holy. God is holy and we his people should walk in his holiness and build up a holy character. our character that resembles God's nature and we living by the word of God makes new born christians commit their lives to God and live for the purposes of God.

fellowship with a community of faithful christians becomes necessary for us to grow in Christ. we as christians are able to pray together, share the word of God and also concern for each other in prayer and deeds helps us establish the Kingdom oof God in a very effective way. A person by himself will not be able to fulfil the plan and purposes of God without the support of a strong praying fellowship.

My character built by the word of God can be a true example for my family members to commit their lives to Jesus and live for their lives for the love of God.

imitation is important in the formation of a new christian spiritual life because as the new convert begins to renew his mind, he will also imitate the leaders as they imitate Christ

community ministry

is important because the people are being led by their character or else they will have a twisted character and not display the nature of God

they don`t grow well, they practice self righteousness

children look up to their parents, so whatever they see in their parents they do

Imitation is important in new believers when it comes to being a follower and imitators of Christ.. Christ the head of the Church and is a great person to imitate. A Christ-like community needs to be accountable to each other and keep each other on the same path of imitation. Sunday School and worship are generally good opportunities to be around other imitators and to encourage each other. The character of the leader must encourage growth, honesty, and a willingness to be open to their failures and success so others may see a transparent, but strong leader to help and lead the new Christian. Without this community and accountability to most new Christians will fall by the wayside.

It is important because then we do what jesus do. Love is important because it teaches us how to do the things pertaining to God. It is very important for leadership in the church so that the people could have someone to guide them. How can you hear without a preacher. If you are not in christ you want grow good. You dont have anyone to lean on. My spiritual life for my family is very much needed. We are placed here to show our family that Gods love is real. Our spirtuial plays a very special part with the family because they can see the work of God.

• 2 weeks later...

Imitation is extremely important to a new christian because the old lifestyle is so contradictive to the new lifestyle. It is important to see examples of how to react to conflict and persecution with love, how to be full of joy, and many other things that can only be experienced by observing a person's character. All ministry is cheapened by poor character which is a result of people getting into the flesh. It is important for all believers, both young and old in the faith, to be a consistent part of a church because the influence of the world is strong and we always need to practice imitating Christ and being around others we can look up to and learn from.

We learn by imitation. It is important to choose who we decide to imitate. Paul provided an excellent example for the new believers to imitate to learn how to be Christians and how to handle situations that arise. It is optimal to be a part of a Christian community however I have lived in places where that was not an option. You can still grow as a Christian if you are diligent to read the Word and pray however you will probably need some work at social skills and working together as as the body of Christ when you get into an area where the church is. Most of the churches around my area are skilled in gossip and trashing others who are a threat to them. Sorry to say that. So many want to be the important one and fit in with the group. There are those who truly love the Lord and only want what God has for them and that is so refreshing. It is very important for the parents to be the example to their children on how to be the Christian who truly walks with the Lord. They won't find it in the world.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

• 3 weeks later...

Q3. (1 Thessalonians 1:5b-6a) How important is imitation in the formation of a new Christian’s spiritual life?

In the life of a new Christian imitation is the way new Christians learn how to accept roles that they may not have seen before, ie: How to be a good leader, how to give to others of themselves-unselfishly. I think people don't necessarily think they are being watched for these traits, but to a new Christian everyone is an example.

All ministries are places of learning. Just because one might not be for me, such as going to the hospital to visit the sick, doesn't mean I can't learn compassion for others, through that ministry.

Character is important because unhealthy mentors or teacher leads to an unhealthy and dying church.

How well do people grow in Christ who aren’t part of a Christian community?

People who are planted in poor soil do not grow.

Good character is important to teach children, they will be respected and therefore others will listen to them when they speak to evangelize. A family can be lead to salvation by one person who has good character.

• 4 weeks later...

It is very important that we do imitate the Lord so that new Christians can know who we are imitating and they have a sample to follow. I think that ministries that are most conducive to imitation are that of being a servant.

The character of a mentor or a leader is so important to the church because they are the ones that will try to correct you when you are not doing things that are in Christ image. They can keep you on the right track. People don’t seem to grow in Christ who is not part of the Christian community because they have anybody mentoring them nor correcting their misconceptions.

My character in important to my family and spiritual children because I have caught them doing some of the things that I do.

• 2 weeks later...

Imitation in the formation of a new Christian's spiritual life is very important. Ministry leaders must always walk in the Holy Spirit inside church and outside church because these new Christians will be watching imitating you. Clergy of the ministry are the ones new Christians imitate and if you are not conducting yourself Christ-like these new Christians will become more confused than before coming to Christ and will become discouraged, especially those new Christians that are studying their bible regularly.

People who aren't a part of the Christian community is like not going to the doctor for regular checkups. If you don't go to the the doctor for regular checkups your mind could be telling you that you are okay, when in fact you really are not. If we don't commune with other Christians we can be mentally sick and drawn away from God. Plus, our families will be imitating us and doing the same thing, thinking they do not have to go to church. At least give your children a choice in following God or following the world!