JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. 'Fatherly' Disciple-Making

No loving father would put his children in harms way, in the same way we should take new belivers under our wings until they are mature enough to stand firm in their faith. Men are looked upon as leaders and as an authorative figure. but there is godly women in church that can do the same as males. A godly women is a powerful tool in doing Gods work inside and outside of the church.

If you are living for Jesus Christ male or female you can do Gods work effectively. There was women who follow Jesus and done wonders on their journey.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (1 Thessalonians 2:11-12) Why are “fatherly” roles so important to making disciples?

Traditionally children respect a fatherly figure. To lead by example and to be seen to be actively trying our best to please God is the best thing a father can do to set an example to his children, or in this case a discipler to his disciples. A good father shouldn't always be stern. He should be able to comfort his children and to encourage them to good behavior.

How effectively do you think women can adopt these traits?

In these days of single mothers it's not uncommon to find women filling both the father and mother roles in raising children. Even in families that have both parents there, it's likely both of them work full time and therefore have to share the parenting responsibilities equally. The demarkation between parental roles is less defined than it's ever been.

I think women could effectively adopt the traits of a good father.

Why are “fatherly” roles so important to making disciples?

1. Because a father role is to help their children be the best they can be.

2. Women can adopt these traits very effectively. They already have the nurturing qualities so exhorting and encouraging would fit right in.

Father usually shows love , compassion and also shows the character of his strength and protection the the child. The child usually looks to the Father as a symbol of love and protection. The child grows strong because the Father is strong and trains the child to be strong. At times Father also disciplines the child and tries to embed right values in the child.

whether a mother or father it is the Holy Spirit who teaches us and builds us with the traits that depict that of a father and mother to take care of new christians. All we need to do is focus on Jesus and take guidance from Him to take care his flock that is given in our hands to be taken care.

Q4. (1 Thessalonians 2:11-12) Why are “fatherly” roles so important to making disciples? How effectively do you think women can adopt these traits?

It takes fathers and mothers in marriage as says the Bible to nurture and guide to create more love and discipleship, There are many fatherly attributes that today's families are way off mark. Women can never make up for the man's influence in the family.

• 3 weeks later...

4. (1 Thessalonians 2:11-12) Why are “fatherly” roles so important to making disciples? How effectively do you think women can adopt these traits?

I guess sometimes you know how important a fatherly role is when one hasn't been present in your life. Fathers seem to toughen you up somewhat where I see many woman putting on bandaids. Both are essential in our life to develop our character. I think the quality of the roles are vital. If the quality is poor we will probably develop with character flaws which need correcting.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

• 2 weeks later...

Why are "fatherly" roles so important to making disciples? How effectively do you think women can adopt these traits?

I think that a fathers role in rearing children is more along the line of developing discipline in everyday life. Men usually press through difficult things

and make the best of circumstances. So I think that as men we would strive to conquor our flesh or sin nature to please God.

I think that it would be contrary to the role of a mom (or woman) since they typically focus on nurture and feelings.

I think that both genders can do the job of making disciples (with God, all things are possible). But that we all do our part in raising children or disciples according

to our several abilities.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Fatherly roles are important in making disciples because fathers encourage you to keep going, keep believing. They are strong enough to hold you up and comfort you. Fathers urge you to keep living lives worthy of God. Women can use this roles just as effective by urging the person to live a life pleasing to God and always encouraging the person not to give up.

Why are “fatherly” roles so important to making disciples?

"Fatherly" roles are important because it builds up or strengthens one's character. A father is often seen as the disciplinarian, one who admonishes and set things straight. Apart from being gentle and caring, it is also important to be stern and unwavering in providing the leadership to the disciples. 

I think women can adopt these traits quite effectively as we have seen mothers who are very gentle and loving but stern when the child steps out of line. However we should see the fatherly traits and the motherly traits as two sides of the coin and both have its roles in making disciples

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (1 Thessalonians 2:11-12) Why are "fatherly" roles so important to making disciples? How effectively do you think women can adopt these traits?

1 Thessalonians 2:11-12 NIV

[11] For you know that we dealt with each of you as a father deals with his own children, [12] encouraging, comforting and urging you to live lives worthy of God, who calls you into his kingdom and glory.

Gordon Mcdonald said years back that the greatest need of the church is "fathers". Alongside the nurturing like a mom Paul urged like a dad...both of these are critical, balance is necessary! The urging gives direction and ooomph!

I believe that God enables us to be disciplers...we are all lacking qualities but if we will yield to His Spirit we will see His provision whether through us or from another believer.

So can a bloke show motherly nurturing? and can a chick urge like a dad?...YES!

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (1 Thessalonians 2:11-12) Why are “fatherly” roles so important to making disciples? How effectively do you think women can adopt these traits?          

Fatherly roles are important because fathers lead their families in a specific direction. They are role models, good or bad. Women can adopt these traits, especially when a male figure is absent. They then combine their love and nurturing traits with a fathers role of leading specifically in a direction that has purpose and encouraging those she leads to stay on that path. She is a good discipler.

• 4 weeks later...

1 Thessalonians 2:11-12) Why are "fatherly" roles so important to making disciples? How effectively do you think women can adopt these traits

These "fatherly " roles are important to understand that we need to live up to God's standards not our own or the world's.  Yes we will fail and stumble many times but each time we do and ask God for forgiveness, it brings us closer to spiritual maturity beginning to think like God thinks: hating sin and loving holiness.  It is a transformation of what we will become like Romans12:1,2 says.  These traits are for all believers. 

Man is supposed to be the head of his house as well as God's. If the new disciples see him living an ungodly life, then they will loose their faith and in turn not make good disciples.

I don't think women can adopt these traits effectively, because they are meant for men. I do however, believe that women can be supportive and help guide the men as they fo their share to make good disciples out of the new converts.

• 1 month later...

Fatherly roles are important to provide discipline and guidance. Women can adopt these traits by submitting their will to God our Father and trusting that he will equip them with all the traits they need for ministry.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Jesus refers to the father many times in his teaching. It seems that he has had a good experience in being fathered.  Some of the characteristics in 'fathering' are exhorting- - "to urge strongly, appeal to, urge, exhort, encourage. Fathers often do not reach and understand the motherly qualities they can instead urge and encourage. Often little ones become disheartened and need the pat on the head and a word to keep on keeping on. Fathers can also comfort and console the little ones. Life is not always a bowl of cherries and the children need to be modeled and instructed in the life, love and gift of Jesus Christ.  Fathers can also   urge something as a matter of great importance, affirm, insist, implore. (notes)  In the time of Paul it was the father's role to educate the child.

Just fine, particularly if she is a single mother. However two parents are better than one. 

• 6 months later...

A father is a very important part of bringing up children. They are the ones that guide and mold the young. They need to show right from wrong. Women are very capable of doing this. As a single mother, I have had to be a role model to my two boys. It is not always easy, but with the help of God anything  and everything is possible.

• 1 year later...

Fatherly roles are important in making disciples because they can encourage them in the faith and when they fail in some aspect of their Christian living. We can also share some of our trails we had as new Christians.

I believe women can also adapt to these traits especially to other women. She can encourage them to strive in their trails and plead that their faith will become stronger.  

• 1 year later...

(1 Thessalonians 2:11-12) Why are "fatherly" roles so important to making disciples?

Good fathers help their children strive to be the very best they can be. They do so by Exhorting, Encouraging or comforting as well as urging or pleading. The purpose is to mold the disciple’s behavior into consistent followers of Jesus Christ so that they live lives that are worthy or suitable to God’s own kingdom and glory. A father rule encourages, comforts and urges one to live a life worthy of God, who calls one into his kingdom and glory.

How effectively do you think women can adopt these traits? It is incumbent upon the women to conform to God’s standards as their lives need to reflect God’s value system. By sincerely seeking for their lives to be pleasing to God. Be honest and transparent about their actions.

• 1 year later...

Because God is our Father and we are  his children.  Paul  said v9 for we remember brethern our labor and trevail for laboring nigjt and day..." I believe he speaks not only of the work in ministry but also the trevail and labor done in prayer. The fathering role important  to demonstrate the fathering aspect  of God to disciples. 

Though Paul seemed to have issues with women(?) jesus Christ emancipated women imparting their ability also to demonstrate the nature of the father

I

• 2 years later...

Fatherly roles are just as important as motherly roles, but in a slightly different manner. Fatherly roles as stated here indicates a more sterner approach but still not losing the important aspect of love , care and sensitivity. I think the KJV gives me a feeling of a firmer approach to discipleship in this sense using word like "exhorted "combined with "comforted". Give strong words of comforting encouragement!  And "charged" everyone of you, meaning to me as like urging but pointing out to each one their strong and weaker points.

Woman lean more towards the sensitive and compassionate approach , I think, but they have have every ability to be firm, and more forceful when needed, and sometimes they are more effective than men.

• 1 year later...

A true father will be a spiritual leader for his spiritual sons and daughters; a shepherd that leads and provides for his family.   Melchizedek the High Priest in the Book of Genesis is a prime example.   Despite the idolatry that was going on; Melchizedek upheld monotheism and righteous living.  Prophet Abraham revered him highly after winning a battle.  A spiritual father called by God will be zealous to propogate the Gospel; he is imbued with an agressive spirit to win souls for Christ, and to zealously pastor the new converts.  As a father, he has a heart of empathy for those suffering; well aware of the tribulations and heartaches of his spiritual children.

Yes indeed!   Women have been called throughout church history to be "father figures".   A number come to mind: St Catherine of Siena, St Joan of Arc, St Theresa of Avila and women evangelists during the Holiness movement late 19 century.    14th century was indeed very chaotic !   Plagues, church problems, eta--St Catherine was a very remarkable leader that wrought reconciliation amongst foes.  St Joan of Arc dressed in soldier's armament and fought valiantly for the glory of God.  The church has been blessed by the Holiness preachers in the late 19 th century:. a number of women in the Methodist holiness movement were called to preach, and spread the message of sanctification.  In many ways they were "spiritual fathers";. it wasn't common back than for women to be preachers and leaders of churches.