JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Secure by Faith

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2004 at 9:14 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (1:5) According to 1 Peter 1:5, what is God's part in securing your salvation? What is your part?

I Peter 1:5 who by God’s power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. a.) God's part, He keeps us...For I am confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will continue to perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus. Phil. 1:6  Our part...Believe that God will do it, have faith in Him, hope, patience...look for His coming.

Q3. (1:5)

Q. According to 1 Peter 1:5, what is God's part in securing your salvation?

A. God will protect/ watch over us to ensure our security. Our part is to have faith in Him to do so

Q. What is your part?

A. Please see part of above answer.

Q3. (1:5) According to 1 Peter 1:5, what is God's part in securing your salvation? What is your part?

God does the shielding of the believer.  This guarding will continue until Christ returns -- and personally consummates our salvation

Our faith has a part in activating the protection and salvation. Certainly God's strong guard around us is not dependent upon our sometimes weak and vacillating faith, but our faith still has a role. Jesus told his disciples that even if they had faith the size of a mustard seed, it could move mountains (Matthew 17:20).

On 1/22/2004 at 8:14 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

It is provided, it is guarded, but it was costly to Jesus and is costly to us who "bear" witness as we experiencing various degrees and forms of martyrdom for our lifestyle.

God's part in our salvation is by his own power, he is protecting us and watches over us.

Our part in this salvation is our activating faith, for through faith we are saved.   

God's part in securing our salvation is shielding us and warning off the fiery darts of the devil. Without this shielding we would not be able to withstand The Temptations of the devil and would succumb to the powers off the world. Our apart is to have sufficient faith to enable God to work within us for our salvation.

On Friday, January 23, 2004 at 2:14 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Grt Gos God's part is to provide the power to keep us and strengthen us to the appointed time.

Our part is to have faith in Him that He will bring to completion what he's started. 

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2004 at 9:14 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

God's part:  He protects my salvation by His Power.

My part: Believe, have faith in God that He will do what He says.

• 2 weeks later...

God has promised us in 1pet 1:3-5  that with His great mercy He has given us a new birth to live in with new hope through Resurrection of Jesus Christ that He will bring us alive from dead, and shall provide us to inherit that will never perish, protect and shield  us with His power and finally give salvation through Jesus Christ. 

My part is to believe to receive, have faith and wait patiently till the promises are fulfilled in my life, by living according to the word.

• 1 month later...

Q5. (1:8-9) According to 1 Peter 1:8-9, what is the basis of Christian joy that is "inexpressible and glorious"? How does this joy interplay with human emotions? Is it essentially emotional? How does it differ from what is generally regarded as the pursuit of "happiness"? Extra Credit: How can you tell the genuine article of joy from the counterfeit? 

According to 1 Peter 1:8-9, the basis of Christian joy that is "inexpressible and glorious" is having not seen Jesus you believe in Him you are still filled with love for Him and give Him praise and worship.  This joy interplays with human emotions in that in the natural there should be sadness and pain; but supernatural peace fills you and you express the joy of the Lord.  This expression of joy goes beyond emotions to the supernatural.  It differs from the pursuit of "happiness" in that the goal is not tangible or earthy, rather it is spiritual.  

The genuine article of joy can be seen from the counterfeit when one in the midst of great hardship can joyously give praise and worship Our Heavenly Father.

("Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls" (1:8-9))

• 3 years later...

God's part in securing our salvation is His constant protection, guarding, and care.  He has provided us with a fortress and stronghold used for our safety and our part is to have faith in His provision for our soul.  He gives us everything, we just have to believe.  

• 2 years later...
  • Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q3. Secure by Faith
  • 4 months later...

I struggle with the question of "agency" -- that is, what is my part and God's part in faith, moral living and protection. I cannot resolve this. Not at all.

I have decided to act AS IF my role is important, that is, I live and pray as if what I do makes a difference, that is, is determinative in some way. But I know that much of what swirls around me is beyond my ability to change or control. Being protected in a hostile environment is up to God as I cannot protect myself.

When I feel I'm able to do something, I do it. If I'm able to protect myself and family, I do so. I try to be forward looking, too -- I have some food storage, for example, that should get us through a few months if our government and society break down. Yet, I have been told by some Christians that I am being faithless to not trust God to get my family through a time of civil strife, that I should only depend on God to protect us. Preparation means I'm assuming I have "agency" when I do not.

Increasingly, I pray to have my family protected from the society around me, it's values, the government and the out-of-control bureaucracy. God has to increase my faith in His protection, power and control. He has to help me pray and be secure and peace inside, trusting Him to be there when I need protection and help. 

As I mature in Christ, my own abilities seem pathetic -- conversely, His control over my circumstances seems bigger. Perhaps, in the end, I'll realize that I never had agency to begin with, that He had been pulling strings behind the scenes the entire time, and whatever I thought I was doing to "help" didn't make a difference.