JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

The inexpressible and glorious joy comes from knowing what God has done for us through the obedience of Jesus Christ to go to the cross to pay for our sins in spite of the fact that there isn't a worthy bone in us anywhere. It certainly is emotional for me. I have never been able to take communion without misty eyes, just thinking about what Jesus went through for me. Knowing that without this action from God the Father, and God the Son, I would be really doomed forever. Jesus didn't go through a "demonstration" for me. He died in my place. How could that not evoke emotion? It differs from the pursuit of "happiness" because the joy doesn't depend on anythiing other than God's provision. This is not something I pursue, but something I accept as a glorious gift. It doesn't depend upon me. It depends upon God alone. The genuine article doesn't waver or change. It isn't here one day and gone the next. It doesn't show up during only happy times but in hard times as well. It doesn't depend on what I do or what I don't do. It is constant and unchanging. The counteteit is fickle and changeable. It is not trustworthy.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The basis of Christian joy is "knowing" in your heart that Jesus is The Christ, The Messiah, The Son of the Living God. This joy is not entirely emotional. This joy can bring on an emotional response, but it doesn't have to. The pursuit of "happiness" is related more to what is acquired from carnal means. The "joy of the Lord" will never leave you for it is the Holy Spirit dwelling within you.

FAITH AND BELIEF ARE THE BASIS FOR OUR SALVATION. HAVING THE LOVE FOR CHRIST WITHOUT BEING ABLE TO ACTUALLY SEE HIM. LIVING BY FAITH GIVES BOTH US AND GOD GREAT JOY. HE GIVES US GIFTS IN OUR DAILY LIVING,WHICH WE DON'T TAKE TIME TO NOTICE. WE TAKE TOO MUCH FOR GRANTED, LIKE THAT LAST BREATH WE TOOK, THE HEALTH WE HAVE, THE EYESIGHT WE HAVE, ALL THE PROVISIONS HE PROVIDES ARE THROUGH THE GRACE OF GOD AND HIM WANTING US TO PROSPER AND HAVE ABUNDANCE IN OUR LIVES.

YOU CAN TELL IF IT IS GENUINE BY THE ACTIONS AND GOOD DEEDS, LOVE & COMPASSION FOR FELLOW MAN. YOU CAN TELL IF IT IS FROM THE HEART OR IF FAKE.. THE JOY OF THE LORD IS MY STRENGTH!

Q5. (1:8-9) According to 1 Peter 1:8-9, what is the basis of Christian joy that is "inexpressible and glorious"? How does this joy interplay with human emotions? Is it essentially emotional? How does it differ from what is generally regarded as the pursuit of "happiness"? Extra Credit: How can you tell the genuine article of joy from the counterfeit?

The basis of Christian joy is faith. Romans 5:2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. This joy is not an ethereal circumstance dependant feeling or emotion. It, like faith, is substance 2 Corinthians 4:18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen [are] temporal; but the things which are not seen [are] eternal. Because we have been born again and our spirit has been quickened we have been brought into a living relationship with God and His love shed abroad in our hearts gives us confidence that He is there. It is this pure and deep love He has given us that rejoices the heart.

This joy interplays with human emotion making one quick to laugh, and with a bright and cheerful countenance with a smile never far from the surface. It is because this joy is in our spirit which informs our soul. Our soul is at peace, our soul is being delivered and is free. We are receiving the end of our faith even the salvation of our soul. We have a strong redeemer who walks continually with us.

This joy is not emotional although it evokes happiness and emotional lightness. Emotion is essentially a function of the soul and can be swayed easily by circumstance, feeling, hormones, and of course the devil is eager to pull us down into the pits of despair as he points out our many flaws. This joy is rooted in Christ.

One of the attributes of the Holy Spirit is joy. That is Who He is. He does not have joy, He is joy (as well as the other 8 enumerated). We have Him within us. Thus as long as we have Him we have joy regardless how I feel, what is happening. As a matter of fact anything that would seek to tell us different is a lie (and we all know where that is coming from)

"The pursuit of happiness" almost sounds carnal. The world rushes around trying to find happiness in one futile thing or another. I suppose anything to fill the void and ease the pain, to blot out the fear. Our loving Father subjected this frail creature to this futility in hope that we would turn to Him, the fountain of eternal joy. Romans 8:20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected [the same] in hope. We do not pursue happiness, we pursue Jesus. Sometimes that pursuit leads us into a paradox. He may lead us into the valley of death, into sore trials and hardship. 2 Corinthians 1:8 ...that we were pressed out of measure, above strength, insomuch that we despaired even of life: But oh what joy! What rejoicing that our names are written down in the book of life.

Inexpressible and glorious Christian joy comes of knowledge of salvation. This includes forgiveness, citizenship of Heaven, knowing that one is "kept" (= guarded and protected), having awakened to a new life, and to a new perspective like that of Jesus.

There is much emotion involved, but it's origin and base is not in the emotions, but in the newly born/awakened spirit.

This joy:

cannot be generated by unregenerate man,

is unrelated to life's circumstances, is in the area of spirit which is still dead in the carnal man who will certainly be operating in the pursuit of happiness.

The pursuit of happiness (gratification) is animal function (think about it).

The inexpressible glorious joy of the Christian is born of the Spirit.

The genuine article remains constant in times of apparent success :) or in times of destitution :( .

We are at all times joyful that our God reigns over all! :D

No-one can take it from us!

In times of happiness we praise and thank our God.

In times of destitution we go straight to our God for help, strength, patience, direction, - whatever we need, and still give thanks, with great joy and relief, that we can do this! :rolleyes:

The basis of "inexpressible joy" I think is God's love for us. I agree with a few of the people whose posts I already read that this joy is from the knowlege of Salvation, or Faith, and knowin that we were chosen. But there is something else, I think. I think there is love kindled in our hearts by the holy spirit...a gift...that is (as was already pointed out) independent of the ebbs and flows of our daily lives and events. It is the presence of God within us. It is a constant, sweet and everlasting ember.

HEY FAMILY! :lol:

5:1 What is the basis of Christian joy that is "inexpressible and glorious"? Hmmm...I get to express what is described as inexpressable...interesting. Maybe the closest I could explain it is the faith I have in God. I heard Adrian Rogers speak of faith tonight on the radio and things really clicked based on what we have been studying. I can have solid, unshakable faith becuase of the way my faith is based on...the solid unshakable rock of Jesus Christ.

5:2 How does this joy interplay with human emotions? basically, it doesn't. Emotions are fickle and can betray us. For instance "falling out of love" with someone, or even "they MADE me mad". All are emotions that ebb and flow (to some extent) just like the ocean tide. I can wake up in a good mood...or a not so good mood. However, I am always filled with the joy of God...again, it is unshakable. I can be sad, or upset for a miriad of reasons or I can be happy for a totally different set of reasons, but my joy is not based on circumstances, but the truth of God...who is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

5:3 Is it essentially emotional? I think it transcends emotion. it is truth. It is a natural result of faith, much like good works are a naturla result of salvation.

5:4 How is it different from what is generally regarded as the pursuit of "happiness"? Becuae the source of joy is different that the sourse coming from the "pursuit of happiness". The pursuit and the happiness it can bring is what I DO. My joy comes instead from what God has done, and what He has promised. The truth of God that never changes. True joy does not go up and down based ona whim or circumstance, but stands strong in good times and bad, sunshine or rain, because or God in whom we trust, and His Word, never, ever change.

5:5 How can you tell the genuine article of joy from the counterfeit? Test it. If it remians strong in light of difficulties and trials, then you would have a strong case for real joy. if ti constantatly ebbs and flows from happy to depressed based on the set of circumstances you are in...better do a heart check!

May God richly bless each one of you!

The basis of our joy; Is that we understand our wonderful future with Jesus. We know that our sins are forgiven and washed away and that eternal life with Jesus is ours, He will protect and keep us. He loves us!

True joy is not tied to our circumstances or emotions. No sufferings can take away true joy. Joy keeps us, even in troubled times.

Happiness doesn't transcend circumstances, it is unpredictable, temporary and external.

The genuine article is Joy that comes from the Holy Spirit and that does not change as things around you change.

I have pure joy knowing God loves me so much that He gave His Son Jesus to die for me. The happiest moments of my life can not match that. No matter what my mood (moodiness happens) I can lean on the Lord and know He will provide me with the ability to get through the day. Of course it's easier when I'm happy, but each day is successful because of the joy I have through faith. The truth is far more important than being emotionally happy all the time. Truth is joy. It shows when you know the truth. When faced with trials lately, I've noticed in myself a calmness and peace. It seems almost as if . . . . and that is the inexpressible and glorious joy!! I know God is with me. B)

like that poem titled "footprints". I have felt the Lords strength the most when I am in a trial.

sometimes I feel as if I am losing something very important to me... but I watch folks go seriously crazy over sirutations and have to take medicine for anxieties and I wonder why as much trouble as I have seen I never got that nervous... or unable to cope..

it is because deep inside I realize my life has had many memories of the Lord being real to me. and miricles and answered prayers.

so I wait. and God comforts me. I guess I give up in a sense and allow God to remind how thankful and good life has been instead of being worried.

that is the "joy" of the the Lord for me.

then something changes and a good thing happens all over again among the trial and Im so very thankful for that JOY of it that only He can make happen.

I look for the Joy in life every single and and it is truly here with me .

amazing thing it is.

I do not deserve one day to be alive I did nothing to deserve Gods blessing on my life yet I have seen so very many...

the joy is firm within me when I think about the days when we will be in the kingdom with Jesus in the flesh once again in perfect bodies with no tears or sorrow and all that have died before me will be with me . that brings me so much joy ! how wonderful is it I know that??? beyond words!

Q5. (1:8-9) According to 1 Peter 1:8-9, what is the basis of Christian joy that is "inexpressible and glorious"? How does this joy interplay with human emotions? Is it essentially emotional? How does it differ from what is generally regarded as the pursuit of "happiness"? Extra Credit: How can you tell the genuine article of joy from the counterfeit?

We have joy as believers, according to vv. 8-9, as we look to the future ... to the salvation of our souls. We are taught as believers to keep our focus OFF the world, and on spiritual matters. We focus on the goal set before us, on the secure blessings to come, based on our "inheritance which is imperishable (v. 4) and on the indescribable experience of seeing our Lord, finally, face to face. One of my favourite verses is 1 John 3:2 -- we know that when he appears we shall be like Him, because we see Him face to face. In light of all this how can we not rejoice constantly and far beyond human emotion?

I wonder if because we are made in the image of God, that although marred, we still strive as humans to experience the joy that God intended. But unregenerate man cannot, because of sin, and so he tries vainly to recapture joy, falls short, and only temporarily experiences happiness. His happiness is dependent on circumstances and other people, but true JOY never leaves a believer, despite circumstances. Indeed Paul writes in Romans 5 that we are to EXULT in tribulations, because we have hope and see beyond them to the ONE who is able to work all things together for good.

Genuine joy is not so much a "feeling" as a state of the spirit -- after all, Galatians teaches plainly, that it is part of the fruit of the Spirit. Happiness comes from MY nature, while joy comes from the Holy Spirit within me. It bubbles up at times, and I personally have found that when times are difficult, it is very closely linked, and may spring from the peace that the Spirit gives us.

I know joy is the "genuine article" when it is never affected by circumstances, never affected by people, and when God's Spirit bears witness with mine that I am indeed His child, and that I never face anything alone.

Joy, true Joy how do you define something that is within your heart, your very soul. Just knowing that he died for me, yes worthless me,who do did so many wrongs in my life. He died on the cross, his blood saved me and when I finally understood that, Oh what great Joy came into me. Knowing the true love of him and knowing the true Joy .

He said that as his followers you would be persecutied for his name sake. As Christians we understand we will have many trials and when they come we will rejoice in his name, that my friend is true Joy and know him , when not seeing him. Thank you Jesus for loving me.

The basis of the joy I feel that is indescribable is trying to comprehend that God could love me such a sinner and yet He does and beyond that provides for my lasting salvation. By my faith and God's grace I am saved. I believe that if one is to take Christ into their lives it can not help but effect our emotions and our actions feeling us with a divine joy! I also feel it is essential for us to react to this love with human emotions. Love-wonder-awe-joy-sharing. We are filled up and overflowing with the love of Christ. In my mind it would differ from the pursuit of happiness in that the pursuit of happiness speaks to me of "in the here and now" kind of satisfaction and acquisition of worldly possessions; but when we seek the happiness or joy in Christ we are looking toward the life eternal that only Christ can provide.

Understanding and knowing God's grace, mercy and love provides us with true joy. Our happiness shouldn't be based on material possessions, whether or not we're having a good day, or how people are treating us at any particular moment. It should be based entirely on what God has done and continues to do for us each day.

This is a joy that the world can not understand. The world thinks joy is a result of your circumstances (especially if they are great) . They can not understand how we can have this joy when going through trials and tribulations. We can't describe it, express it but this joy is always present because of who Jesus is and our relationship with Him.

This joy is prompt by a faith-vision of God Himself. What a joy! We as christians have not seen Jesus in the flesh but through faith we have seen Him. How blessed we are that believe and have not seen!

This joy that is prompt by faith-vision is geniune because it is based on faith and not circumstances. Some circumstances can change your emotion from happy to sad but you have THIS JOY inspite of your circumstances. This is what puzzle worldy people, but if they ever experience this unspeakable, indescribable and inexpressable joy through Jesus Christ they will never be the same.

JESUS IS THE WAY!

The "inexpressible and glorious" joy Christians feel is the certain knowledge that Christ defeated death AND paid for us the price of our sins. By our faith and humility we can look foward to an eternal communion with the Father.

Human emotions tend to be temporal. The joy of the knowledge of salvation is spiritual. While good books, music, and etc. stir us emotionally, they do not compare to the certain knowledge that beyond this life is the true life we yearn for.

The pursuit of "happiness", to me, is the gratification of the body. Indulgence here often leads to sin. The active pursuit of a hapy soul brings glory to the Father. Happiness, therefore, that feeds the soul is the true and right "happiness".

Believing that Jesus is my Savior and that He has forgiven me and granted me the prvilige of being called His child. That is the basis of the spiritual joy that comes from within and is not based on outward emotions and is inexpresiible glorious. The well being of the human spirit shows in its outward emotions. Naturally, when the inward self is bubbling with joy, it shows on the face. Pursuit of happiness is when we go out to get 'happy' by outside inputs. Whereas, Christian joy is based inside the spirit. We need not go anywhere to get happy as we are 'already' happy within. Genuine happiness will last long and forever whereas happiness got from outside will last for a few seconds/minutes, not more than that.

The basis of our Christian joy is in the hope of the salvation of our souls. This joy is inspired by the Holy Spirit and finds its physical manifestation in our emotions, actions and counternace. It is not essentially emotional. The difference between this joy and happiness is that happiness delivers its excitement from the happenings. In other words, as long as the happenings are good, then people will be happy. But this inexpressible joy is experienced even when things are not going on well. Counterfeit joy can be identifed from the fact that it is externally influenced whereas the real joy is internally inspired by the Holy Spirit .

Greetings!

The basis of Christian joy is Jesus Himself, who is the Rock of Ages, that through the Holy Spirit, He is able to fill our soul with inexpressible and glorious joy.

Genuine article of joy comes from our soul and dwells within us. It INHABITS our lives. No matter what the situation is, we can still find the joy within. Whereas, a counterfeit one is temporal. It comes and goes. Its only a VISITATION to our daily lives.

I believe the basis of my joy in Christ Jesus is what he has done for me and the inheritance He has given me... things I have to look forward to...eternity life everlasting. This is inexpressible, how can you explain something so passionate and beautfiul, lifegiving.

It is true our emotions should not have anything to do with the joy of our salvation that we can live with if we choose to. At times our joy of salvation is expessed with human emotions but we are not to rely on our emotions but on the faith of the accompishments of the cross and what was accomplished by Jesus there.

Genuine joy is someone whose focus is on the Lord in every situation in their lives. They wil express with heartfelt feelings... genuinness... what they know to be true that Jeus is Lord of their lives and nothing can separate them from the love of God. They are pleasant people you want to be around for they are always encouraging and help you to keep your focus on Jesus and not your situation. You feel uplifted after you have spent time with them knowing they love the Lord with all their heart, their soul and their mind.

Praise the Lord! For His is worthy of ALL praise glory and honor.

:D

The basis of Christian joy is our love for Jesus Christ for what only He could do in saving us from the wrath of God.

The joy of a Christian is different from the pursuit of "happiness" because the joy is already obtained. This joy is a constant optimistic attitude that never changes because of the hope of things to come. Metaphorically speaking, Christians think of the glass as being half full instead of half empty.

I am going to try and explain a joy that I have attained in November of last year and which I am still amazed with Several years ago I was approached by a member of the local Highland Village as to whethter or not our Pastoral Charge would consider giving one of our churches to the local Village. The church has not been active, other than an annual Anniversary service, for the last 20 years. When I felt the time was right, I approached the Church council with the proposal .Many of the people of the congregations were so pleased that the church would be looked after. However, many were not and several of us received a lot of not too nice remarks about our decision to move the church. However at a charge wide congregational meeting the vote was unanimous to move it. In November the church was moved by road, barge, and road to its new home on the Highland village site. The joy of seeing the church on the barge moving so silently into the mist is one of the sights I shall never forget. Joy was not emotional that day but the Lord was present and his Home will continue to do his work on the new site. This may not be a very good answer to the question but my "Christian ' Happiness has grown through this encounter with community and knowing that the decision we made had God's blessing. :)

I remember the joy I felt at a very low point I experinced lately. The tears and overwhelmeing love of God within in as I heard my Pastors speaking of God saying he will never leave nor forsake us. Though I have heard it many times before, that morning, I was so filled with the reassurance that he battle I faced belonged to the Lord and I had to do nothing but be quite and still and wait upon my Lord. Thinking back of the trials he has seen me through and the ones to come, that reassurance overwhelmed me. My brethren knew what I was facing and they thought they were tears of sadness but they said I had such a peace about me after that, that they could see, and I just was so, so filled with that joy and peace knowing it was all in God's hands, he understood and he was in control. I still feel the peace. Praise God. The financial trial still exsists.

I think I cried all day. But tears of joy. I also think if a christian is not experincing that joy all the time it is ok, and not to be ashamed of. Peace will come through faith. Emotions I do not believe are good to trust. They come from the flesh. They go up and down acccording to our circumstances but the joy of the Lord is a totally different experience.. it is all inside the heart. A filling up of the spirit. Praise God.

The basis of a true christian joy

are TRUST, OBEDIENCE, FAITH

AND ABUNDANT LOVE.

Trust in his promisess

Obedience to his comands

Faith in the Holy Trinity

The Father, the Son and

the Holy Spirit.

Love in Him only because

He loved me first.

True the Word in the Scripture

we become aware that our hapinness

gets on the way of God's joy, so

quitelly we surrender our ways and we

pick up the ways of our Lord, this joy

makes you cry, sing, dance, write, paint

and makes you get out of your selfish

ways and serve others in ways that we

have never than before. This is true joy

much like the spiritual way of life is not

a theory, we must live it.

Genuine joy is contagious and delightful

and leaves a print in your heart changing

you from the old to the new you.

To Love and believe in what you have not seen. This joy is far beyond emotion, it is joy of knowing that you are chosen that you are loved far more then you can love back, a joy that can never be taken away, a joy that comes upon you at any time and completely takes over to the point of dancing and singing without a care of who is around. A joy that is forever.