JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. (1:8-9) 
According to 1 Peter 1:8-9, what is the basis of Christian joy that is "inexpressible and glorious"? 
How does this joy interplay with human emotions? 
Is it essentially emotional? 
How does it differ from what is generally regarded as the pursuit of "happiness"? 
Extra Credit: How can you tell the genuine article of joy from the counterfeit? 

The basis of Christian joy is faith in our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. Through our love and trust in Him we experience joy in our Christian lives, accepting His gift of grace. Once we fully comprehend the sacrifice Jesus made for our sins, that is, our past, present, and future sins, we would be filled with the inexpressible and glorious joy which Peter describes here. When we truly abide in Him, we will know the fullness of His joy, since we often express our joy by loving God and by obeying His commands. As Jesus said, “if you love me you will keep my commands” (John 14:15). 

We read in Ecclesiastes how Solomon tried everything to find happiness and satisfaction apart from God. In his pursuit of happiness, he found that material things, knowledge, ****, and many other things, could not fill the vacuum in his soul, or the aching emptiness of his heart, or even give him peace of heart. Despite having been one of the wisest and richest persons of his day he could only conclude that there is nothing under the sun that can satisfy the deeper needs of the soul - everything is emptiness and a striving after the wind, if it is lived apart from God. From experience we know that when everything is going well, we are happy, whereas joy, is not a response to our circumstances. For even during hardship, suffering, trials, and even persecutions we can have great joy. 

Authentic joy is always dependent upon having a relationship with Jesus Christ – we have to have Christ in us – we must know Him, love Him, trust Him, and imitate Him. So we receive this gift when we put all our trust in God. However, God must empower us and this joy coexists with our faith. If we separate ourselves from the person of Christ, we lose the source of our joy - we must be “plugged in” to Jesus. If we cut off fellowship with Him; we cut off our source of joy. It cannot be contrived or fabricated, it is a gift we receive from God, being the work of the Holy Spirit in us. No way can these Christ like qualities be imitated. 

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to 1 Peter 1:8-9, what is the basis of Christian joy that is "inexpressible and glorious"?

Joy. The joy of knowing we have a secure future. The joy of knowing that anything that might come our way in this life is just God’s way of strengthening us, perhaps for something we are being prepared for in this life, or, perhaps the next one.

How does this joy interplay with human emotions?

Well of course it interplays with human emotions because the joy of the Lord makes us feel good.

Is it essentially emotional?

Basically, though it can lead to emotional stability, it is not essentially emotional. This joy comes from the faith that Jesus died for us and rose again, just like we have been promised.

How does it differ from what is generally regarded as the pursuit of "happiness"?

The pursuit of happiness??? I look at that as no more than the short lived good feeling one gets from success or gain.

Extra Credit: How can you tell the genuine article of joy from the counterfeit?

The real thing will never rust, tarnish, the moths won’t eat it, etc.,. Jesus is the real thing, the world and its dazzling lights are a short-lived counterfeit.

MY positivity every day is not just emotional, it stems from faith and others' examples. It also comes from seeing a beautiful world, however mauled by Man and trolled by evil.

I Raised this issue at a church meeting, that our worship joy needs to be tempered with spiritual armour against the 'dark side'!

- According to 1 Peter 1:8-9, what is the basis of Christian joy that is "inexpressible and glorious"? 

The salvation of our souls. 

- How does this joy interplay with human emotions? Is it essentially emotional? 

No, it doesn't interplay with emotions. It is not about emotions. 

- How does it differ from what is generally regarded as the pursuit of "happiness"? 

Joy is eternal. Happiness is temporal and depended on the happenings. 

- Extra Credit: How can you tell the genuine article of joy from the counterfeit? 

When joy tends to falter it is counterfeit. The Lord put his joy in every believers' hearts and souls. It is placed intact and cannot be affected in any situation. 

Q5. (1:8-9)

Q. According to 1 Peter 1:8-9, what is the basis of Christian joy that is "inexpressible and glorious"?

A. It is the state of mind, body soul that a child of God experiences when the Spirit of God ministers peace and faith as a result of hope of salvation in Christ

Q. How does this joy interplay with human emotions? Is it essentially emotional? How does it differ from what is generally regarded as the pursuit of "happiness"? Extra Credit: How can you tell the genuine article of joy from the counterfeit?

A. Joy is more deep rooted and it is not as a result of some given to us or achieved (resulting to happiness), it is a wholesome  condition of the heart, soul and body brought by the Holy Spirit . 

On 1/22/2004 at 9:06 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q5. (1:8-9) According to 1 Peter 1:8-9, what is the basis of Christian joy that is "inexpressible and glorious"? How does this joy interplay with human emotions? Is it essentially emotional? How does it differ from what is generally regarded as the pursuit of "happiness"? Extra Credit: How can you tell the genuine article of joy from the counterfeit?

Human emotions generally end in "for"; have expiration dates; and are shallow representations/images for the inner needs of a person. KJV I have learned to be content in whatsoever state I'm in

Q5. (1:8-9) According to 1 Peter 1:8-9, what is the basis of Christian joy that is "inexpressible and glorious"? How does this joy interplay with human emotions? Is it essentially emotional? How does it differ from what is generally regarded as the pursuit of "happiness"? Extra Credit: How can you tell the genuine article of joy from the counterfeit?

I think the basis of Christian Joy come from depth our Heart, not only show off, because of God glory.

The basis of Christian joy that is inexpressible and glorious is that we love him, though we see him not and seeing him not we believe with faith in our salvation through him.

This joy is an emotion of unspeakable joy, a spiritual joy. To praise and worship the Lord who has provided our salvation is an emotion that can not be expressed, only through the spirit can we feel this joy.

This joy is no way a general emotion that is related to the "pursuit of happiness". For this earthly happiness is only temporary and fades away, the glories joy we receive for our faith in Christ is a joy that will last forever.

This genuine joy can be determined from the counterfeit because this joy from the Lord last forever and ever. Our spirit gives witness to us that this joy is from the Lord. Counterfiet joy can be displayed outwardly, but there is no inner peace of the spirit.         

The simple fact that one believes in Him is where the joy should come from. My inner joy is a by product of my faith. Not the pursuit of material things or things that do not matter. Joy has to come from within, when you think of His goodness and his mercies and His grace, it is that joy that Peter talks about. This is not something that can be contained or anything manipulated. God loves us so much that He mad the ultimate sacrifice and in so doing saved us from an eternity of hell. Emotions are fickle and they will change. Real joy can be seen when things don't appear like they are going well because its a heart thing. If your heart is turned towards God then joy lives there and this cannot be turned off when circumstances change. 

"Q5. (1:8-9) According to 1 Peter 1:8-9, what is the basis of Christian joy that is "inexpressible and glorious"? How does this joy interplay with human emotions? Is it essentially emotional? How does it differ from what is generally regarded as the pursuit of "happiness"? Extra Credit: How can you tell the genuine article of joy from the counterfeit? 

The basis of our Christian joy is our salvation, and knowing that one day, we will be with Christ in Heaven. I believe that this joy is placed within our hearts by the Holy Spirit!  Our joy is not based on human emotions. Our joy is not based on our happiness or on circumstances.  If our joy is merely based on our circumstances, it is counterfeit.

Q5. (1:8-9) According to 1 Peter 1:8-9, what is the basis of Christian joy that is "inexpressible and glorious"? How does this joy interplay with human emotions? Is it essentially emotional? How does it differ from what is generally regarded as the pursuit of "happiness"? Extra Credit: How can you tell the genuine article of joy from thre counterfeit?

I think the basis of Christian Joy is God.

I think when God is in us, we are completely intertwined with Him our emotions are filled with extreme joy.

A Pursuit for happiness is something that we are looking just for ourselves.

My experience of a genuine article of joy that wasn't counterfeit. It's like the movie The Grinch That Stole Christmas. When the Grinch's heart grew ten times larger. That's the only way I could describe it at the time when it first happened to me. It's like my heart grew inside my chest 10 times larger. I was filled with so much joy theat tears came to my eyes. I knew I just knew that moment in time that it was God. That for sure my friend it was an inexpressible glorious Joy from God.

I do have inexpressible glorious Joy when I'm singing and praising in church. Often people come to me and say you smile all the time when you're singing. It's the joy of the Lord in my heart. I really didn't even realize I was doing it. Until I was told.

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2004 at 10:06 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

- The basis of Christian joy that is inexpressible and glorious is believing and having faith in Jesus and what He has done for us. When trusting in Jesus and giving my life to Him  he responded with His presence and a knowing and a joy which He imparted to me.  He turned my mourning into dancing.  A pursuit of happiness is just a pursuit but with no real rewards as in what Jesus gives. You can tell the genuine article of joy from the counterfeit because you have the witness of the Holy Spirit inside you. The Holy Spirit witness with our spirit that we are the children of God. (Romans 8:16)

• 2 weeks later...

The basis is our faith & love for Him & our salvation.

Human emotions cannot cause it--it can only be reflected in our faces.

No, not emotional--however it can cause emotion.

We are not pursuing happiness--we are pursuing a deeper relationship with our Saviour.

You can see true joy when a person is joyful even in bad or trying circumstances.

The basis of Christian Joy  which is inexpressible and glorious, because it is different from the happiness we find in this world which is temporary but the true everlasting joy is eternal because He has chosen me and shown the way through Him to salvation, where in I does not  even fear death because here in this world itself Lord has reserved my eternal home to live with Him for ever and ever, which I feel I am the chosen one because I am surrounded by so many gentile who refuse to accept Jesus Christ as their Savior   I am blessed spiritually to having know Jesus Christ as my savior among est the  multitude of the gentile.

But the genuine joy comes from the Christ and believing in Him, because the worldly troubles and tribulations will not shatter them and their hope and faith, as Jesus says in John 14:1-4 “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me.  My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you?  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.  You know the way to the place where I am going.”

• 1 month later...

Q3. (1:5) According to 1 Peter 1:5, what is God's part in securing your salvation? What is your part?

God's part in securing my salvation is revealed in His power to complete the process that will secure my salvation even before I was born.  My part, by faith given to me by God,  is to accept the gift that Christ death on the cross brought.

"... Who through faith are shielded by God's power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time." (1:5)

• 3 years later...

The basis of our Christian joy is Jesus and our belief in Him.  This joy is not merely emotional as it should not depend on our situation or circumstances.  Emotions tend to fluctuate, but our joy in Jesus should be constant regardless of our circumstances.  Our pursuit of happiness can take us places that Jesus doesn't lead so "happiness" should not be the end of our goals.  As Matt Chandler said, "follow God it might not end well."  Many of the disciples did not have an happy ending to their lives but they still had joy in Jesus.  

Counterfeit joy has its means and ends in something other than God's glory and usually focuses inwardly on the believer.  A genuine article of joy is outward towards God as an act of worship.  

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q5. Joy
  • 4 months later...

Of course Joy is emotional -- it is an emotion. The source of the emotion differentiates between "joy inexpressible and glorious" and just standard-fare joy which is happiness. God is the source of the former -- the world, the latter.

I hope this is correct: It is my understanding that there is no word for happiness in classical Greek. There is the word "chara" or "chairo" which is usually translated joy/joyful.  One reason for the lack of the word "Happy" in teh bible could be that happiness is contingent on circumstances whereas joy is inner or God-given.

In this sense, happiness is the counterfeit of joy. Happiness is not a bad in itself, but is not the real thing which is joy.