JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

5a)Joy in knowledge that Jesus has the victory over death,sickness &sin,hope as a believer of a better eternal tomorrow.

B)This doesn’t change what ever I feel about my faith, God continues to work in me to fulfil his purposes for me.

C)It is not dependent on emotions, but emotions are present.

d)Human”Happiness” can be a shortterm feeling when things are going right. Deep eternal Joy is based on salvation & inner peace that doesn’t change with circumstances.

E)Real joy is not pushed aside &weakened when things are difficult in times of trial, found in love of Jesus &our salvation. Real article found when inner joy remains,faith is proven,& in eternal hope continues even in times of difficulty.

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...

Q5. (1:8-9) According to 1 Peter 1:8-9, what is the basis of Christian joy that is "inexpressible and glorious"? How does this joy interplay with human emotions? Is it essentially emotional? How does it differ from what is generally regarded as the pursuit of "happiness"? Extra Credit: How can you tell the genuine article of joy from the counterfeit?        

The basis of Christian joy that is both inexpressible and glorious is Jesus Christ.  A joy that is routed in the love of God for humanity, especially those who trust and believe in Him and the hope of eternal life in His presence. 

When a person has a vigorous, meaningful, and dynamic relationship with God joy naturally springs forth out of the spirit, soul, and body.  The pursue of happiness is just that the pursue of happiness.  Happiness can't be captured or caught.  It is the byproduct of living. Practicing the presence of God brings happiness and joy as a byproduct of the relationship with God.

Genuine joy is natural and pure and can't be faked.    You know both when you see it.

• 1 year later...

Q5. (1:8-9) According to 1 Peter 1:8-9, what is the basis of Christian joy that is "inexpressible and glorious"? How does this joy interplay with human emotions? Is it essentially emotional? How does it differ from what is generally regarded as the pursuit of "happiness"? Extra Credit: How can you tell the genuine article of joy from the counterfeit?

In my experiences, the Joy of the Lord is a completely different type of joy that I feel in the natural. It is a joy that bubbles out of my soul, a connection with the Most High God that brings a sense of fellowship and intimacy with the Holy Spirit as we bask in His presence and His Joy. I cannot even express it in words because it is so glorious. Its like being eveloped in a warm blanket of peace with a happiness in your heart that assures you the the Most High God, Creator of all that is, is giving you His undivided attention. Because He is Love, there is a feeling of love and completeness that echos in my soul and fills me. Unlike natural joy that is fleeting for the moment, just thinking about the experience resuscitates this Joy back in my heart, comforting and strengthening me, while natural joy is for a moment, and is easily deflated by situations and circumstances. Natural joy can be quenched in a second. This joy is rekindled easily by meditating on Who God is and the Power of His Might. What He has done for me and that He has me in the palm of His hand and has a good plan for my life and other believers.

We all have pursued what we consider our happiness and in the Grace and Mercy of God, He has allowed us to do so, even when sometimes our choices are not His will for our lives. And that, brothers and sisters, is short lived indeed. There is still a void, an emptiness that resides in our heart and soul after accomplishing what we thought we wanted. The Joy of God, through our Lord and Savior Christ Jesus, fills that void and gives us hope when there is no hope. Gives us purpose for our lives. Because most people think that money will make them happy and that is a fleeting truth.

Only Jesus can lead us to true Joy Peace and Happiness. Along with purpose.

Amen

• 1 month later...

The basis for our joy is that we know our souls have been saved by the forgiveness given in Christ. When the disciples went out to preach and work healings and deliverences and then came back they were estatic. But the Lord said that was nice that they rejoiced for that yet he said rejoice instead that your names are

written in the book of life.

Joy is connected with emotions in the sence that joy can be expressed by a show of gladness and happiness.

The world looks for outside things to bring them their sense of joy. Like the illusion of security, having a lot of money or having a lot of possessions, among other things. It really doesn't come from within by the Holy Spirit like it does for us

Joy is genuine in a beliver when a sense of gladness is still apparent even when a person is going through a time of hard trials, suffering or persecution.

• 1 month later...

The joy of knowing Christ love me so much that He gave His life.I am so happy because the joy inside me is coming from the Holy Spirit that lives in me. Even when I get sick I still have that eternal joy knowing that a mansion is waiting for me. That's why I have so much joy He never turns on me I love people that's my job as a born again Christian. Jesus gave me a new love and I don't want in no way go against what He tells. I loved my mother dearly and think about her but I have a joy now that God gave me grace and mercy. He comes before anyone in my life, He truly gave me true joy beyond anything you can imagine. Happiness is just what it say you be happy, but true joy the Holy Spirit lives in you and that joy makes you feel like you can fly. I can tell by the Spirit in them a true Christian is going to endure because the Holy Spirit lives especially in side of Him, counterfeit does shine you can feel they are really not doing what they should be doing, maybe they don't trust God enough. To me counterfeits have a dark spirit when I look at them I see it. It could be anything that cause them to not give e themselves to Christ. I pray for them to come into the joy of Jesus Christ.

• 5 months later...

According to 1 Peter 1:8-9 the bases for our Christian joy is inexpressible glorious because though we have not seen him we love him, though we have not seen him we are filled with inexpressible joy, we are receiving the goal of our faith, the salvation of our souls.

This joy interplay's with our human emotions, filling us with praise and worship that is inexpressible at times, a joy that can not be expressed.

it is not essentially emotional, but a joy that can only come from the power of God, being filled with his glory.

We experience happiness when we get what we usually want when we gain things on our own effort. The inexpressible joy we get from praise and worship of the Lord can only come from God himself.

The difference between the genuine article of joy from Jesus and a counterfeit joy, is that true joy fills us and confirms our faith, counterfeit joy last only a very short time and is forgotten.  

• 1 month later...

Q-5   One thing come to my mine is John20;29 Where Thomas would not believe that the one he was talking was Jesus until he seen and felt the scares, How much more  blessed are the one that have not  seen  and do believe----Though we have not seen him[ as.. his children-the chosen one] we still believe, the joy this  no words can express.

• 4 months later...

Q5. (1:8-9) According to 1 Peter 1:8-9, what is the basis of Christian joy that is "inexpressible and glorious"?  How does this joy interplay with human emotions? Is it essentially emotional? How does it differ from what is generally regarded as the pursuit of "happiness"? Extra Credit:

According to 1 Peter 1:8-9, what is the basis of Christian joy that is "inexpressible and glorious"?  Quick and easy, the basis of Christian joy is in receiving the salvation of our souls.

How does this joy interplay with human emotions? Is it essentially emotional?  Personally, I believe happiness and joy go hand-in-hand.  That said, true joy is a much more intense feeling than happiness; happiness is an emotion that is almost always temporary while joy is a permanent resident of a Christian heart.  A joyful heart is an absolute affirmation of the Holy Spirit’s spiritual truth deep within us and the absolute joy that we feel when He comes into our lives is extreme emotional energy generated by God.  Since we were all made in His image that would certainly include our emotions as well.  Ergo, joy is a very powerful feeling not an emotion but… the health of our emotional life is certainly an essential element of our spiritual life.

How can you tell the genuine article of joy from the counterfeit?  True Christian joy is permanent; if what you’re feeling at the time passes, if it’s temporary and fleeting it’s not joy.  Joy comes from the heart and soul and grows out of our faith in knowing that it is God and not us who has control over our lives.   “Trust in the Lord with all your heart; and lean not on your own understanding. In all ways, acknowledge Him and he shall direct your paths” (Proverbs 3:5-6)

• 5 months later...

1. Faith is the basis of our joy – through faith we love Jesus, we believe in Him and rejoice. It is not dependant upon circumstances. “We walk by faith and not by sight” (2 Cor 5.7) Faith means surrendering all to God and obeying His Word in spite of circumstances and consequences. Love and faith go together: when you love someone, you trust him. And faith and love together help to strengthen hope; for where you find faith and love, you will find confidence for the future.

2. Our Joy is not “essentially” emotional.  Emotions are not the basis of our faith, but of course because we are human beings emotions influence us and affect us. 

3. We do not pursue happiness as a goal – we pursue the face of God, to know Him, to be cleansed and forgiven, restored, saved.

4. The genuine article is evident through having peace with God, and it is also evident through having assurance of salvation which is defined as possessing and knowing the peace of God.

Weirsbe – “We  may not be able to rejoice over our circumstances, but we can rejoice in them by centring our heart and mind on Jesus Christ.”

Php_4:7  And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Heb_8:10  For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my laws into their minds, and write them on their hearts, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

• 6 months later...
On 1/23/2004 at 3:06 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Accordingto 1Peter 1:8-9, the basisof Christian joy that is inexpressible and glorious in the salvation of our soul and goal of our faith. The Christian joy of our salvation interplay with human emotions because it is something someone cannot explain, it is an endless joy, despite all the suffering and persecutions encountered on this planet there is an assurance of unlimited joy ahead when we finally finished our assignments faithfully see our Lord Jesus Christ face to face. 

Christian's joy is spiritual.  This kind of joy surpasses all man's understanding. In order to receive it, you must be, I feel, in the spirit of the Holy Ghost. The joy  of Jesus is unsearchable, everlasting and immovable.  When the spirit is nigh in service, whether it is a preached word or song or just the gathering of saints, everybody  is affected.  I believe that God's people who walks in faith, carries this joy longer than those who have not accept Jesus as their savior.  So in other words, it last longer than the service.  It is more than an emotion and I cannot explain it. 

While at church, I love to watch the saints as they praise Jesus.  Because, in spite of their troubles, they give Him a heartfelt praise.  Some in tears, some in dance, some in tongue, some in the lifting of hands and some in the stomping of feet. But there is a joy in it all.

This joy from the Father is deep and is hard to put into words. It can only be experienced from the intimate relationship with the creator. This joy does not come from an outside visible source but from an inside unseen force. And usually accompanies deliverance from a situation that one had sought the King for an answer from

The basis of human joy that is inexpressible is knowing that you judged yourself harshly wondering if you are going to make the grade, if you made someone turn away, if you miss an opportunity to help bring someone to repentance and while you're even thinking that, Jesus looks at you and say most simply and most pleasantly, "well done my good and faithful servant" and you realize that you made the right choice. How I would feel then can be described as inexpressible. 

'Human emotions would always come to play especially if you feel you didn't rightly divide the hard passages of Paul, Solomon (Eccl) and John (Rev) or you rebelled against the interpretation of the 'scholars and commentators', only to have Jesus vindicate you by calling you brother.

For me, the pursuit of happiness is to be Holy as He is Holy and if to die to die, in Christ. I want to follow allHis ways yet sometimes I feel that those in the Church are more a hindrance to me than those outside the Church and my emotional love thus, I think, affects my agape love and sometimes I think myself a pretender. Thanks be to God for His abundant Grace.

i get real joy when I see God's work in the life of all the saints especially mine.

On 1/23/2004 at 3:06 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

The basis of Christian joy that is inexpressible and glorious is the salvation of our soul which is the goal of our faith. 

The joy interplay with human emotions because its quick by faith vision of God through the Holy Spirit inside us and it is essentially emotional. 

It differs from what is generally regarded as the pursuits of happiness because it is everlasting joy.

Yes I can tell the genuine article of joy from the counterfeit which come from worldly things, it is a joy from grace of God not of works it is natural from God.

The basis of Christian joy is in Jesus Christ. When we get next to Jesus our joy just overflows. The way that this joy inter-plays with human emotions is that we seem to be happy when other people see us. We do things with a smile. I don’t think that it is essentially emotional it is something that is within us. Joy is an inner thing where the pursuit of “happiness” is outwork thing. You can tell the genuine article of joy by the way the person acts.

This joy comes as a result of our faith in Jesus which gives us the ability to experience the things of God. This joy is the working of the Holy Spirit and we know the difference between the filling of the Spirit and what the world describes as happiness.  Also when the spirit moves in a corporate setting it is also attested to by other believers. 

Inexpressible and glorious joy is joy that cannot be explained. There are not enough words to express such gratitude of what God has done for me. He rescued me from the miry clay, he has cleansed me, and made me anew. He lifted me up to a high place and set me upon "The Rock". He is my banner, my high tower in which I find rest in my neediest hour. God is my Salvation, My Redeemer, and I owe Him my life. This joy is like a fountain overflowing from within because Jesus lives in me. It is God's Spirit in me the cause of this joy. For God has poured HIs love in us all and joy is a fruit of the Spirit within us. Happiness is but for a moment. It passes when the excitement is gone. We get emotional with different circumstances, a wedding, a special song, a new arrival, a date, etc. It too, shall pass. God's joy is everlasting. It remains in good times and in bad. Whether rich or poor, in sickness and in health. Knowing there is a better place awaiting us in heaven. To God the glory! 

The basis - belief in Him, a deep knowing, that He is God Almighty, our Father, King of Heaven and Earth, and He loves us unconditionally and chose us. Emotionally, it's a warm tingly feeling deep inside, like falling deep in love for the first time; yet it is not fleeting like human love. The pursuit of happiness is often seen as getting riches, sex and power, or using drugs for a false happiness and self pleasure. Such happiness is fleeting and shallow and not fulfilling; it is self-centred and not Christ-centred. Happiness from God is true happiness! It gives that warm feeling deep inside that strives to overflow to others, to help others and tell others that "God loves you".  We are all sinners, yet He loves you unreservedly, if only you should believe that Christ died for your sins, that you are forgiven, and He is holding His hand out to you right now saying "come". He died for you because He loves you, that you would be redeemed and have an everlasting life in relationship with Him, your Father, your Creator, drying your tears and you not wanting for anything anymore. Praise be to God our Saviour. Peace be with you.

The basis of Christian believers’ joy is their unwavering belief in Christ and love for Him even though they have never seen Him.  They know that they are God’s own and He would always  protect  them.

I would not say that this joy is a sign of human emotion which can be fleeting. It is something sacred and far deeper.  It comes from the heart, from God being in all the believer does or says.  It is the comfort of knowing that God is in charge, He is our guide and He will always be there for us.

Happiness is a state of mind that does not last forever sine there are events in life which can affect one’s happiness such as the death of a loved one.  Christian joy is expressed by believers at all times since they have faith that God will see them through whatever trials or adversities come their way.  They are God’s own so they know that God will always be with them, comforting and protecting them from the trials of this world.  

I suppose the counterfeiter will be the one who boasts about his joy as something he has achieved by himself while the real believer shows his in showing his faith in God, by doing the works His Father wants him to do.

(1:8-9) According to 1 Peter 1:8-9, what is the basis of Christian joy that is "inexpressible and glorious"? How does this joy interplay with human emotions? Is it essentially emotional? How does it differ from what is generally regarded as the pursuit of "happiness"? Extra Credit: How can you tell the genuine article of joy from the counterfeit?

The joy that we feel is inspired in the hearts of believers. This is because we have not seen Jesus in the flesh but we still love him.  The emotion is not an emotion worked up my oneself, but an emotion, a joy prompted by a faith-vision of God himself.  As the songstress say "this joy that I feel the world didn't give it to me" That makes it a genuine joy. No one can take it away.  

I think one's belief is the basis of christian joy that is inexpressible and glorious. This joy affects and influences one's feelings, attitude and actions and i think it is essentially emotional because it affects the mindset of an individual. It differs from pursuit of happiness in a way that happiness is an emotional feeling or thing whereas this joy has something to do with inner attitude or what your heart's attitude that is reflected later on the outside. Also joy is long lasting while happiness is a very temporary situation. I can tell the genuine article of joy from the counterfeit by looking at the priorities of someone and what they values most in their lives which will enable me know the kind of persons they are and their interests, if their interest is heaven, they will have hope that gives them genuine joy.

Joy is different than happiness (permanent vs. temporary). Joy is an emotion, coming from within because of our deepening faith, not "emotionalism" that has to be started on the outside by material things.  James tells us what "the real deal" is: "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds,” ~ James 1:2 NIV. Only true faith can encourage us to have joy in times of trouble & heartache.

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2004 at 7:06 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

1. The wondrous joy comes from being in a love relationship with Jesus! Even though we've not seen Him, we KNOW Him and He KNOWS and loves us.

2. For me, this joy of knowing Him healed an orphan spirit and the loneliness of having been abandoned and forsaken. It far exceeds "happiness" which can be fleeting, depending upon the state of our circumstances. 

3. No, it's an inner peace, and sense of fulfillment...of being complete at last. It's the wonder of knowing that I'm unconditionally loved and accepted, forgiven completely. It's also the beauty and amazement of being chosen by the God and King of the Universe...of being known and loved as if an only child. It's the confidence that I will never be abandoned again, and that He has and is EVERYTHING I want or need. At times it's so thrilling, that I experience physical tingling or goosebumps from being in His Presence or hearing Him speak to me. (most often in my spirit, but I have heard Him speak my name, and I've heard Him chuckle!)

4. Pursuing "happiness" is a never ending chore or hunt for the next thing to try to satisfy inner longing....I've found that He alone satisfies all inner longing.

5. Happiness is momentary, can be silly and giggly and fun...a lovely emotion, but doesn't last. Joy is not dependent upon circumstances....there can be joy in knowing Him even in the midst of trials or suffering as He comforts, sustains and encourages us. His ever present help, and guidance and the promise of eternity with Him in Heaven is the ultimate source of joy.

Q5. (1:8-9) According to 1 Peter 1:8-9, what is the basis of Christian joy that is "inexpressible and glorious"? How does this joy interplay with human emotions? Is it essentially emotional? How does it differ from what is generally regarded as the pursuit of "happiness"? Extra Credit: How can you tell the genuine article of joy from the counterfeit?

Q5. 1. Even though we have not seen God, but love and believe, we are experiencing his glorious joy that no one can explain. It is the goal of faith in him and his salvation given to our souls. We have a glory with him that will last forever through eternity.

2. This joy is divine coming from God. It’s not anything man made. God’s joy is not about feelings. God gives us lasting joy and the world gives us happiness.

3.  No, because it is nothing that can come from man. This joy man cannot give to anyone. This joy is only received from God and through praising and worshiping him in truth.

4.  The suit of happiness man gives can go away and only lasts a little while. People look for happiness wherever they can get it which is through anybody that makes them feel good and who they are comfortable with. The joy is what God gives his people and as long as we serve him it will never go away, but get stronger in us. You can get God’s joy through him only.

5.  The genuine joy is not anything that man can produce or anyway man can make you feel. God’s joy is something we can feel through faith and spirit. Focusing our minds on God, hearing God’s word, and singing truth will give us joy unspeakable and a connection with him.

Man’s joy is something that’s not in the heart through God. It comes if a person is happy with life supposingly good. Their focus is more on ungodly matters and how they can satisfy the flesh. There is no connection with God.