JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. (1:8-9) According to 1 Peter 1:8-9, what is the basis of Christian joy that is "inexpressible and glorious"? How does this joy interplay with human emotions? Is it essentially emotional? How does it differ from what is generally regarded as the pursuit of "happiness"? Extra Credit: How can you tell the genuine article of joy from the counterfeit?

I think that the joy we experience as Christians goes way beyond the type of joy or happiness that one may feel in the secular world .Firstly there is the feeling of security of knowing our future destiny,and the constant feeling of companionship we have in Christ.

I believe that all things that incur feelings of happiness and joy as children of God we view as blessings and this dimension adds to the joy that we feel.When all else seems to be falling apart around us we have the assurance that our King Jesus Christ will be there to comfort us and carry us through these times.It is the assurance of our salvation in Christ that wells up from with inside us to bring forth the"inexpressible and glorious"joy that we have.

We don't have to be in search of new ways and means to bring about the brief moments of joy that those of the world are constantly seeking.

Our hearts are spirit filled and we are overflowing with real joy from the Lord.Thank you Jesus.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q5. (1:8-9) According to 1 Peter 1:8-9, what is the basis of Christian joy that is "inexpressible and glorious"? How does this joy interplay with human emotions? Is it essentially emotional? How does it differ from what is generally regarded as the pursuit of "happiness"? Extra Credit: How can you tell the genuine article of joy from the counterfeit?

The basis for the joy is believing IN God, not just believing God. To believe in God will denote subjection, reliance, and expectation of all promised good from Him. The faith of a Christian is properly conversant about things revealed, but not seen. True faith is never alone, but produces a strong love to Jesus Christ. True Christians have a sincere love to Jesus because they believe in him. This love discovers itself in the highest esteem for him, affectionate desires after him, willingness to be dissolved to be with him, delightful thoughts, cheerful services and suffering. Where here is true faith and love to Christ there is joy unspeakable and full of glory. This joy is inexpressible, it cannot be described by words. Believe me, I know it cannot be described by words! I experienced this joy just a few days ago. All I can say is taste of the Lord and see that He is good. Happiness is a state of being just content or satisfied. This joy is so different because it is God's love flowing through you. It is a river of joy that floods your soul. You know that you know, that you know who the Great I Am is. EXTRA CREDIT: You will be able to tell genuine joy from counterfeit by the actions of the person. You will not be able to imitate the real thing. People try to express the joy of the Lord, but I think what they are feeling is happiness. I have been there. With the Lord's joy, it is a feeling beyond our imagination. I was so joyful on the inside . I had such a stirring in me. I wanted to shout, run, jump up and down, I could feel myself grinning from ear to ear. You have to smile, you have to rejoice. I was so full of His joy, I was overflowing. I had to share my feelings with other people. The real thing will show through you and it will come out to be shared and God given the glory.

• 3 months later...

1Pe 1:8 You love him, although you have not seen him, and you believe in him, although you do not now see him. So you rejoice with a great and glorious joy which words cannot express,

1Pe 1:9 because you are receiving the salvation of your souls, which is the purpose of your faith in him.

I believe in Him although I cannot see Him. Through faith I know He exists and is with me. This is the basis of the joy I have in Him. It is knowing that He is so good and wants good things for me. Not without testing to refine me, but ultimately for my Salvation.

Human emotions are untrustworthy as they emanate from worldly feelings. This joy is not essentially emotional but is also a Spiritual experience of God's love.

The pursuit of happiness is a worldly endeavour for temporal pleasure. Joy, in God's context is a continuous feelling of an elated emotion even in times of trouble.

Joy comes when one is conscious that it is God working in one's life and not a feeling resulting from a worldly emotion.

• 1 month later...

Just knowing that over two thousand years ago that God loved me enough to give his son and His Son gave his life so I could have eternal life. That He prepared me a place in Heaven while I was going to be born as a sinner. He

loved me before I was conceved in my mother's womb. What joy the Father's has put in my spirit seeing just how much he loved me. One day I will be abe to share in that eternal life with him.(2) This is a feeling in the Christian's spirit that cannot be expressed in words.(3) This joy is given by God Himself.(4) This joy is everlasting and it will never fade

• 5 weeks later...

Well I have a asnwer to this . Is always my hope others to see to experience the joy I feel inside me . I pray for none believers to believe and I talk to them "only if you only try " I try I doub it I try again I feel it because I believe with out see.

• 2 weeks later...

The basis of Christian joy is loving and believing in God even though you can't see him. (Hebrews ll:1 1Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.) Basically, having faith in God, even despite grief and sorrow and trials. God's purpose in giving the trials is to prove our faith genuine, and this is important because it is genuine faith that results in praise and honor to God. Faith is very valuable in God's eyes.

So faith is supposed to lead to 'inexpressible and glorious joy'. In the context of experiencing 'grief in all kinds of trials', I don't see this as really a happy emotion or feeling as much as a mindset of confidence in God that enables a person to have hope despite the surrounding difficulties. It is related to ones frame of reference for life, and upon whom a person fixes the eyes of their heart. (Hebrews 12:1-3 1Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.) Where we are looking makes all the difference in our perspective and our ability to live out our faith.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe faith and a right relationship with God is the basis of Christian joy.

Joy creates an emotion and is a fruit of a Spirit-led life. I feel it works hand in hand because how we respond, emotion, shows our joy.

No it is not essential emotional or based upon emotions. It is based upon the relationship you have with Christ. Can't have joy and not know Him. You can be happy, but true joy comes form God and out of a relationship with Him.

True joy will be shown when a persons' circumstances become hard. How a person responds at adversity or trials will show you if they have joy. How a person acts if the bottom drops out of their life. I have so been there and been able to keep my head up and still bear fruit (according to what others saw), was nothing that I did or able to accomplish on my own. It was no one but God!!!!

From a bible dictionary, joy in the Lord enables people to enjoy all that God has given: family, food, and fellowship. All are privileges from God that He blessesus with.

I am going through a rough time right now. I lost my father a week ago and we are struggling financially, however I am still able to keep my head up because I know God will work everything out and that He has not brought me this far to leave me........ Thank You Lord!!!!

The basis of our joy is the love that we have for Christ and for the salvation that we have been given. This joy is not related to our emotions, per se because our emotions are typically run by our circumstances. Our emotions are externally driven (circumstances) and so is happiness. Whereas, joy is internally driven. It should be based on the fact that we have been redeemed and saved. It should be based on the fact that God loves us no matter what. These are all internal and never changing. On the otherhand, our circumstances are forever changing, thus our emotions tend to be as well. From day to day, things are going to happen---you may be fyired from your job, or given bad news, or a spouse may upset you, etc. Those things are drive one set of emotions. Within 24 hours, you may learn that you have a job promotion, receive a bonus check, be told that you are loved by your spouse--resulting from a different set of emotions. The point is that emotions are temporary--happiness is temporary. They are both driven by external circumstances. Joy is eternal and internal.

Joy should be obvious no matter what the external circumstances are.

The basis of christian joy is through faith trusting Jesus for our salvation, that no matter what we may go through in this life we can rest assured that there is a better day waiting. Even though we may can't see Him in the physical now we still believe through faith that He is always with us.

Human emotions come and they go but the joy we have through faith will never cease or fade away.

Sometimes our emotions get us carried away in ourselves looking for happiness just to be let down latter by disappointments, but when we receive Christ as our Savior our hope or joy in what lies ahead will never die.

True joy can only come from complete trust and faith in Jesus and when we have this even when we are sad and discouraged and tried we can still have joy knowing that we are saved through our faith in Jesus Christ our Savior. Where some people say they have joy in their heart with the Lord but when the trials come and hard times happen they seem to lose their joy and start focusing to much on the circumstances,when this happens they just need to draw closer to Jesus for true joy and happiness.

• 3 weeks later...

Christian joy is knowing and having faith in our Lord and know that he keep his promises in his word,joy is knowing Gods love and how he sacrificed his son for us so that we may have eternal life,joy is being God child and know that we are passing thru and will live eternally with our Lord

• 5 weeks later...

The eyes of our faith. When I'm in his presence, I am overcome with real joy (after wanting to crawl under a rock and hide.) A joy that cannot be duplicated and is enjoyed no matter what my current situation is.

• 1 month later...

Q5. (1:8-9)

According to 1Peter 1:8-9, what is the basis of Christian joy that is "inexpressible and glorious"?

How does this joy interplay with human emotions? Is it essentially emotional?

How does it differ from what is generally regarded as the pursuit of "happiness"?

Extra Credit: How can you tell the genuine article of joy from the counterfeit?

The basis of our joy is our faith in our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. Joy is a gift that we receive from God. We read in Scripture that God is the giver of joy (see Psalm 16:11; John 16:24; Rom 15:13). So we receive this gift when we put all our trust in God. It is not some sort of emotional occurrence that does not last. Our happiness is like this; when everything is going well, we are happy. Whereas joy, is not a response to our circumstances, because we can have great joy during hardship, suffering, trials, and persecutions. We often express our joy by loving God and obeying His commands. Joy is the fruit of the Spirit, and is the work of the Holy Spirit in us. We cannot get joy on our own, we have to have Christ in us

The basis of our joy is our faith in our salvation. This joy makes us happy, especially when we can feel the spirit move. I also have felt this joy. Two weeks ago I was at a church conferance and the singing and preaching were great! At first I had been nervous about going to this and I think it was in part because of my obediance in serving God that I received this blessing. There is joy in serving the Lord. It's not something of this world that you can buy or rent, there's nothing that's changed except for the happiness and peace that is in my heart.

• 1 month later...

Love for Jesus.

Joy is Christ gives us Joy in the world.

Yes our love for Him is what feeds our emotions.

The world tells us to chase worldly pleasures, money, food, ****... these pleasures will never last. They are emptly pursuits. The love of the Lord is the only one who can bring true happiness and joy.

Joy is the Lord spills out to others. It can be seen and felt in the lives of believers. Counterfeit is self-centered and empty in the end.

• 2 months later...

Though I cannot see Jesus, He cares for me.I know because when I was saved my life changed.It is true, you can't express it and it is glorious. The joy we have as believers is not only when we worship but also when we go through trials, God is helping us to grow up-run the race for the prize. The world's idea of joy is an outward happiness and joy, most times temporary. There is a peace no matter what happens.

• 3 months later...

The basis of inexpressible and glorious Christian joy is my faith in the Person of Jesus Christ.In His Presence there is fullness of joy, which is different from emotions which can be like a rollercoaster ride from day to day.Joy is not emotional; it comes rather from knowing Him and spending time in His Presence.I've experienced joy with no money in my pocket and no christian support at times. I've been so lonely at times I was afraid I'd lose my mind, but He kept me.Happiness is very temporary. I get happy when I get a gift or an encouraging word from someone, but that happiness never lasts. The joy of knowing the Lord is our strength.

• 2 months later...

The basis is being saved by the One who gave us breath, who loved us beyond measures. When this joy consumes me it brings me to tears almost everytime, not sad tears but the overwhelming happy tears. I would say it is emotional, but I guess on a different level and very hard to explain. It's very diff then the pursuit of happiness...I think the pursuit is only a temporary happiness in this world...the happiness I am after is the happiness I will have when I see our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ :). Genuine joy is nothing like you've ever felt before, it consumes your whole heart, mind, body, everything.

• 2 months later...

The basis of inexpressible and glorious joy is TRUE faith. As we mature in our Christian walk our faith in God's grace gives us Hope of eternal life without the struggles and sadness of this life on earth. This type of joy is different from our "human" emotion of joy because it overpowers every other emotion and gives us peace and comfort beyond human understanding. Genuine joy is obvious in how one deals with the trials, temptations, disappointments, etc, in everyday life. Genuine joy is obvious even when things don't go well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Although we have not seen God we love Him, even though we don't presently see Him we believe in Him.

It is a true joy inspired by a vision executed by faith of God.

This is not emotionalism for we would have to physically work into our joy.

This is receiving the goal of our faith, the salvation of our souls (Romans 1:8-9) {Paraphrased}

Extra Credit: These two differences are easily distinguishable as in the counterfeit joy people will physically work into their emotion while the true joy can be found in the truly inspired vision of God.

Our joy is not based on evidence of Jesus being present here on earth in a physical body, but in knowing that Jesus has bought our salvation and is preparing a home for us in heaven. This joy is not drummed up in human emotion but rather a sense of the presence of God working in our lives resulting in glorious joy deep within us and a smile then reflected on our faces. Our joy is not dependant on our circumstances, if all is well = happiness... but rather a knowledge and a joy that God is for us despite our current circumstances.

Counterfeit joy is dependant on our circumstances and mixed up with our human emotions. This type of joy is like a rollercoaster ride..... up and down.

Although we have not seen God we love Him, even though we don;t presently see Him we believe in Him.

It is a true joy inspired by a vision executed by faith of god.

Not emotionalism for we don't work ourselves up in order to impress others with our visions.

This is receiving the goal of our faith , the salvation of our souls (Romans 1:8,9).

Extra Credit: Counterfeit people will work themselves into a frenzy in order to "appear" joyous with a vision from God.

• 3 weeks later...

Q5. (1:8-9) According to 1 Peter 1:8-9, what is the basis of Christian joy that is "inexpressible and glorious"? The receipt (note present tense) of our salvation. We are (not will be) saved and that is where this great joy springs from.

How does this joy interplay with human emotions? Joy is a human emotion and the joy which I feel is human joy, but it is a joy based on something which will not perish, which will not pass and that kind of joy is something very different from the usual emotion of joy.

Is it essentially emotional? Well, it is as I explain above an emotion and therefore emotional, but it is founded on something which won't perish.

How does it differ from what is generally regarded as the pursuit of "happiness"? See above really, it is permanent and will not change.

Extra Credit: How can you tell the genuine article of joy from the counterfeit? The genuine article based on salvation is always there whereas the counterfeit might give us a high for a while, but ultimately will leave us usually to be replaced by an equal low.

• 2 weeks later...

The joy of knowing that our salvation is real and like it says in Romans 8 nothing can take us out of God's hands, we are kept till the return of Jesus our salvation is complete in what He has done for us not what we do our selves. We can be joyful in spirit as well and emotionally know that God is true and our salvation is won. Joy is different from happiness because this joy comes from the heart not from the mind it is brought alive be the Spirit not by something we are doing. The real is heart felt and shows up in our actions it is always there not just a sometimes thing it come out in our love for our fellowman not just our brother and sisters in Christ but in our dealing with unbelievers as we show them our love of Christ.