JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. (2:5) If your praise is primarily for God's benefit, not your own, how should you be offering praise?          

My praise should be offered on and focused on God.  My praise should bless and acknowledge Him.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Q2. (2:5) If your praise is primarily for God's benefit, not your own, how should you be offering praise?

Our praise and worship is for God and him only, our offerings to him are thanksgiving for all things; praising him for who he is and what he has done for us sinners. We praise him also by being obedient to his commands, spreading the gospel to all the world and giving should be our benefactor monetary gifts and showing love to our brother and sisters in Christ.     

• 2 months later...

When we allow Christ to be on the throne of our life, praise of every type will naturally flow from us to Him. Praise of (to) God is just one of many ways, I think, that we worship Him. I like this John Piper quote: God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him.  It makes me think that as all of our emotional and spiritual needs (the God sized hole in our heart) are met for us by our Creator, our Lord and Savior, and our indwelling Holy Spirit; our response to God is loving Him in a way that involves us becoming the people that He has created us to be. The outpouring from us in response to this awesome loving God is: we praise Him (sing praises to Him, testify to Him), we obey Him, pray to Him, confess our sins to Him, confess our love for Him, seek to be Holy, as He is Holy, have faith in Him and  For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. Ephesians 2:10 We love God and all the people that he has put in our path to love. A tall order!

• 4 months later...

If your praise is primarily for God's benefit, not your own, how should you be offering praise?  Without respect to our earthly trials and tribulations, our praise should always emanate from a humble, contrite heart.  “My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart you, God, will not despise."  (Psalms 51:16-17)

• 5 months later...

Offering praises in His Word and via His Word.  Praises in honour of Him and His name, with thanksgiving, reverently recounting His goodness. Reflecting on His Word.

I think that we should sing the actual words of scripture a lot more than we do; and not necessarily someone else’s “take” on things. Particularly if they are not qualified to do so.

The best and most genuine way to praise God is not to be continually asking for things, but to thank Him for all he has done and is going to do, for us and for the others we pray for. If we have genuine faith, then we trust that God will provide whatever we and others really need, as soon as we think of it, even things we did not think of or were not aware we needed. Therefore, trusting that God will provide for our needs, guidance, inspiration, support etc. and thanking Him for it without reservation is the best form of praise we can give. 

• 6 months later...
On 2/13/2004 at 8:20 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Praise seems parochial here: i.e. lip-service vs heart-, soul-, strength- and mind-service. I suspect God might revise Psalm 90 from "bull" to "praise services" for a similar reason: "Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving, and perform your vows to the Most High and call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me.” 

I.e. offer praise through a sacrifice and perform your vows to the Most High.

On 2/13/2004 at 6:20 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

1. I am to offer praise "no matter what" I'm feeling. If I'm ill or feeling low, I can offer praise as a sacrifice. Dancing before Him delights Him. Singing in the Spirit is a joyful way to worship Him. He let me know that He loves when I appreciate what He has created, and I take delight in a special sunset, or gorgeous ocean waves, or get tickled like this morning on the way to church and there was a lovely gray Heron walking in a field near the road and I stopped just to admire this majestic bird. Tears of sorrow or joy can be worship when shared with our Lord. Obedience is worship...(sacrificing my will for His will). Doing anything that pleases Him or brings Him honor or glory is worship such as when we tell someone the amazing thing He has just done, or share our testimony of how He has changed our life. I recently learned that stillness or silence before Him is worship. We're told to "Be STILL and KNOW that I AM GOD" There are so many ways of offering praise, besides singing worship music at church, although that's important to, in communion with our brothers and sisters in Christ.

2:5) If your praise is primarily for God's benefit, not your own, how should you be offering praise?

We are to offer to God those things that please him.  That means giving him the best that we have.  Our offering praise should consist of obedience, financial gifts, proclaiming the gospel, and praise.  This indeed would be a spiritual sacrifice, act of giving up and offering to God our time and effort in a way that is pleasing to Him.  A spiritual sacrifice must be offered in an attitude of obedience, humility, and reverence.

On 2/14/2004 at 2:20 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

I will offer praises to God not ourselves through songs of praises and glorify God in our hearts with thanksgiving, appreciate, magnifying Him continually in my heart and pay all my vow to Him according to Hebrews and Psalm.

I should be offering up the sacrifice of praise to God with offering up thanksgiving.  This is something I must do.  It is required.  It is a sacrifice because sometime I may not feel like praising God, but I must do it anyway because of who He is and what He has done.  Alleluia!

You can offer praise to God in many ways. The most heard about is obedience.  "Offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God -- this is your spiritual act of worship" (Romans 12:1). "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." (Psalm 19:14). It is through praying, singing, blessing, spoken words of goodness praise God. Another way to praise Him is monetarily. "And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased." (Hebrews 13:16). I would at this point say you can share more than just paper that represents a dollar value. Sharing the Gospel can praise God and be considered valuable.  "Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise -- the fruit of lips that confess his name." (Hebrews 13:15). 

Q2. (2:5) 
If your praise is primarily for God's benefit, not your own, how should you be offering praise?

Our primary goal is to glorify our Heavenly Father. This has to be done through Jesus, as He is the only One who can make our offerings acceptable to God. We cannot have acceptance by God on the basis of who or what we are, it is only through Jesus Christ that God accepts our praises. The spiritual sacrifices we offer are our bodies as a living sacrifice (Rom 12:1), a spiritual worship that is holy and pleasing to God. Our sacrifice of praise (Heb 13:15), were we openly acknowledge His name. Our sacrifice of good works (Heb 13:16), we do good deeds on His behalf. Our sacrifice of possessions (Heb 13:16), were we use our material resources to share with others. Our sacrifice of service (Rom 15:16), were we proclaim the gospel. It is not a burden but a joy and privilege to praise our Heavenly Father. 

(2:5) If your praise is primarily for God's benefit, not your own, how should you be offering praise?

We should Praise God to Glorify Him, and we praise with an attitude of gratitude.

I think we should give God the praise without expectation of getting because firstly God created us to praise him, that's why we say all praise belongs to him and also he is God and not human he will always provide for us so we need to praise him because he is God and not for our own benefit but to his glory

A. In obedience and in a manner that pleases Him; offering our selves to Him  and our worship/ praise/ thanksgiving and our substance acceptable.

My praise should be one of thanksgiving. I bring praise to God by being obedient, humble and having a contrite heart. I praise God in spending time in His word, in prayer.  By sharing the good news of salvation with others. My walk, my talk, my actions should be such as that lifts God's name on high. Giving freely(sharing) as it has been given me by Him. A true sacrifice that of a repentant heart, humble and contrite, God will not despise.  

Praise is a vital part of life surrendered to God.  By praising God, we are reminded of His greatness, His power and presence in our lives.  Our praise  must show our devotion and love for God.  We have to be sincere in our prayers.  Our praise should express our admiration and love for God.  This should be a part of our daily lives.  We praise God for the salvation we receive.   

On 14/02/2004 at 2:20 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Thank you so much for these studies Pastor Ralph. I think for the first time, I got the revelation of bringing God praise. I love praising Him with songs and fruits of my lips but never did I ever approach that as a "Priest". Understanding deeper our priesthood gives me a better understanding of what I am doing when I approach Him. This is why it is written to come boldly before His throne room, Jesus's blood already has paid the price, he is the highest sucrose that has cleansed us and made us Holy and accepted. Sorry for rambling ...

To answer your question because of the above, I can and should be offering praise to God with a joyful heart! For such a privilege to bring God pleasure.