JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Submission is difficult because human beings want to exercise their own will. Submission doesn't exclude one's opinion on how to improve a relationship. Submission doesn't mean that Christians have to participate in sinful acts. Submission is important in that it lends to stable relationships and strong witness for Jesus Christ.

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (3:1) Why is submission so difficult for us humans? Does submission require you to be silent when you don't agree or feel something can be improved? When is submission wrong for Christian?
I think some may not understand submission. I had an aunt that had a very mentally and verbally abusive husband. He even claimed to be minister and she allowed him to mistreat her and their children all in the name of submission and now everyone has problems relating appropriately in their adult lives. He took advantage and was not submissive to God. I think whether in a marital relationship or work environment, there should be mutual respect and your opinion should be listened to if if the person you are to submit to may feel their way is still the best way. They may have insight, hopefully godly insight, that you may not be aware of which makes their way better overall. We are not supposed to submit ourselves to someone that is asking us to live inappropriately or do something illegal or in a marital relationship-if they are not submissive to God themselves..

• 1 month later...

Submission is difficult for humans because we don't like someone else telling us what to do. Society teaches us that marriage should be 50-50. We know biblically, that is not the case. I don't think submission requires you to be totally silent. You can share your thoughts and ideas respectfully, with love. Ultimately, I believe the husband has the final say. I believe submission is wrong when something is against God's word.

• 2 months later...
Q1. (3:1) Why is submission so difficult for us humans? Does submission require you to be silent when you don't agree or feel something can be improved? When is submission wrong for Christian?

God gave us a mind and will and sometimes we use it independently from God. We don't like to be told how to do things. We like the old saying of I want to do it my way. Or I want to do it my self. Also don't like to be told when we are wrong in our decisions even if we are. Pride is a big part of being independent.

No I do not believe submission requires us to be silent when we feel something can be improved if we disagree. I do believe there is a way of applying our opinion.

Submission is wrong if it cause a Christian to sin.

• 2 months later...

Submission is diffulcult for us as humans because we are too prideful and stubborn. I don't believe submission means to be silent, I think you are to voice your opinion in a respectful way, but now if your spouse does not want to hear it I believe you should be silent until there is a better time to discuss the situation. There may never come a good time to talk about it, and that will be a problem, but what can you do but leave it alone. Submission is wrong when your spouse is trying to get you to commit a sin, or is abussive to you.

Submission is difficult because we are taught that leading is better than following and making your own rules is okay as opposed to obedience. Our actions have more power than our words, so words must be chosen carefully and in love when speaking up if we don't agree or could improve upon something. Submission is wrong when it leads to sin, causes others to fall, or comes between you and God.

• 2 weeks later...

We don't like giving up our control of our selfs to another. We like to feel we know whats best for our selfs.

No you don't need to be silent if things are wrong. You need to approach it in a christian manner.

It would be wrong if the thing your submitting to is a sin.

• 2 weeks later...

It's about pride. I know best, no-one is going to tell me what to do, I know it all and all I know is right.

It's about gentleness and meekness. If you disagree about something, ask God why. It might be you are right and need to change something, it might be pride not allowing someone else to have a better idea.

Submission is ALWAYS AND FOREVER WRONG when it leads us into abusive relationships, whether physically, emotionally, mentally or spiritually.

It's about respecting other people and allowing them to be the people God wants them to be, EVEN IF WE THINK WE KNOW BETTER AND WANT TO CHANGE THEM.

• 3 months later...

Most humans feel that when they are asked to be submissive they are giving up control and letting someone else make decisions for them and it is a very uncomfortable and confining to have no control. It would be comparative to a wild animal being in a cage and all it can do is pace back a forth.

No, especially in a marriage. My husband values my opinions and I his and I feel this is how God wants husbands and wives to make decisions concerning the marriage and family.

Submission is wrong when it causes you to so do something that goes against God's word.

Submission is difficult for humans because we have been trained from the birth of society with Eve and the apple to fight for our rights and never be submissive to anyone for that shows weakness. This is what society teaches us, but Christ teaches us when we are submissive to God's ways He is strong where we are weak. I don't think we are required to be silent when we disagree unless our mate isn't saved. We then need to be submissive until God works within him/her. Submission is wrong when it is sinful against our Lord.

• 4 months later...

I think than in our society today we tend to see submission as giving up or even a lowering of our standards. I believe that when a wife submits to her husband providing it does not override the will of God, it can lead to the husband as well as others to see Gods light shine through her.

If submission requires that you have to contravene Gods word then there is need for you to speak out in a gentle manner and show your opposition. Any instance where you are required to dishonour our Lord is an injustice, and will not be held against you if you don't obey those requests, on the contrary you would be doing yourself spiritual harm.

It is so difficult because we want to be in control. We don't want to be told what to do. No, I don't think it requires you to be silent if you don't agree or feel something can be improved. If it can lead to a dispute or argument, avoid it at all cost. I think submission for a Christin is wrong when it is demanded or taken advantage of. We are to voluntarily obey. We are to have a loving, and cheerful, and a reverential respect. Our actions do speak louder than words.

• 3 months later...

We are brought up in a 'New Age' philosophy and 'post-modernism' where we are conditioned to believe we are masters of our own destiny, and must be 'in control'. It is not in our nature to 'submit' to anyone or anything.

Most of the time we are called to be silent when we don't agree with something. However there are occasions when we must speak up in disagreement as when we are called to do something that is contrary to Christ's commands.

Submission is wrong when it goes against God's concept of 'righteousness'. We are called to obey Civil Authority, but only insofar as it doesn't mean going against what Christ has taught us.

• 2 months later...
i. Why is submission so difficult for us humans? ii. Does submission require you to be silent when you don't agree or feel something can be improved? iii. When is submission wrong for Christian?

i.Submission is difficult for us humans, because we have an ingrained urge to rule ourselves, as witnessed with the fall of sin. It was the serpent's promise "you will be like God" (Gen 3:5) that ultimately led to the separation between humans and God. Humans do simply not want to be submissive to anyone but themselves, even God.

ii. The Bible does not prohibit you from voicing your own opinions, but this should be done in a gentle and quiet manner. However, if your husband listens to your views and still does not prefer your preferred way, then you should voluntary obey (given that he follows God's word).

iii. Submission is wrong when Christians are required to submit to ways that are ungodly. The Bible states on several occasions that the ultimate submission should be to the Lord. Thus, if your husband ask of you to do something that is not coherent with the Bible, it is your duty to disobey and follow God's word. Mary, the mother of Jesus, became pregnant by someone other than her husband-to-be. Although this was a highly punishable act, Mary replied to the angel that brought the message that she was pregnant by the Holy Spirit: "I am the Lord's servant...May it be to me as you have said" (Luke 1:38). In other words, she recognized that her ultimate submission was not to Joseph, but the Lord.

However, I have a question. When Peter speaks about wives' submission to husbands it is with the background that Christians were seen as disturbers of the old order, granting more rights and dignity to women than what was the custom. He thus requested wives to submit to their husbands "so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives" (1 Peter 3:1). In other words, the wives should behave submissively to not hinder the spread of Christianity. People could oppose Christianity based on the rebellious wives it led to. However, today the secular norm in Western societies is that women should not be submissive. I know personally people that oppose Christianity, because of the submission it requires of women. Does this not mean that by insisting on submission to husbands we are today driving people away from Christianity? And thus by following this advice, we are doing the exact opposite of what Peter intended? Just a thought...

• 1 month later...

Our pride and selfishness make submission so difficult. We want to make sure we are heard or understood; we want what we want when we want it; and we pretty much want it our way. For these reasons, it makes submission really hard and when we do it, it is is uncomfrotable. Until we can die to our own desires and put the needs and desires of someone else before our own, then submission continues to be a difficult road.

It is wrong for a Christian to submit when it means a sin must be committed before God. Our primary responsible is to our Lord Jesus Christ, then to our husbands.

i. Why is submission so difficult for us humans?

We as humans have a tendency to want to be in control or in charge, leader, instead of submitting unto others even unto God sometimes. So many times we get so caught in ourselves thinking that we know the right way and everybody else just don't understand.

ii. Does submission require you to be silent when you don't agree or feel something can be improved?

We don't exactly have to be silent we can offer our thoughts and opinions as long as we understand that we don't have to be right and have it our way. We shouldn't start arguing over matters just because we think that we are right and they are wrong. The Bible even tells to take fault ourselves even when we are right to keep down trouble.

iii. When is submission wrong for Christian?

We should never submit to doing anything wrong or sin in any way. We should never submit to doing anything that is going to hurt or cause pain to someone else.

• 2 months later...

Q1. (3:1)

Why is submission so difficult for us humans?

Does submission require you to be silent when you don't agree or feel something can be improved?

When is submission wrong for Christian?

In married life, a husband is expected to give leadership, exercise authority, and obey God. This authority which God has given him must be used lovingly for the wellbeing of his wife. His wife should strive to uphold her husband and help him in his task. With her talents and abilities, she is God's servant in fulfilling her role as her husband's helper. So within the family we observe that both husband and wife are equal as human beings, but the differences are in their respective functions and roles. But in practice this does not always work because of our selfishness and the tendency of one partner trying to dominate the other. It being all about ME, instead of the marriage. Marriage is about team work not about submission. Submission would be wrong when required to disobey a plain command of Scripture. Here we are to take a stand against breaking any of God

• 2 weeks later...

We are children born in sin. Sin is the first rebellion by Adam and Eve, going against the dictat of God. So the sinful nature is inherent in us. That's why submission to any kind of authority is so difficult for us humans.

Anything can be achieved through meaningful dialogue between husband and wife. Submission doesn't mean meekly keeping quite when things are not being done corrrectly. Rather it is the give and take attitude that solves the problem. Keeping Christ in the center of everything will result in conjugal relationships blossoming without the other partner dominating.

For a Christian, Christ is the head. That means He is to obeyed in all respects. If any situation arises contradicting this position, then it is to be ignored. But even then, polite and loving refusal to obey will ease the tensions and may lead to rethinking on the other's mind. :D

I believe that human beings understanding of submission refers to the negative connotation the word implies in the eyes of the world system. The world thinks that submission is being subject to an imposition from someone. The world does not understand what obedience means in Christian life. Even if we say it does, the Jesus kind of obedience is not understood by the system. So long us a person is not saved, that nature to disobey wants to reign.Christianity is a life of obedience.Operating in the faith requires obedience. Obedience then becomes a life style of a born again Christian.

Submission does not take away the GOD given free will. If it was so, we may say that GOD gives and takes. So, submission is fulfilled with ones will only. IF a person sees something to act on and does not submit automatically, there should always be a reason.There is always a room to express ones will.

Submission can not be directed to someone who exalts himself/herself against the word of GOD. We should not submit to any person demanding our action contrary to the word of GOD.

However, I just heard arguments saying that the scriptural subscription of submission written to wives would not demand the same level of submission from present day wives. It is argued that since times have changed, women would not be expected to abandon their life aspirations in the interest of conforming to the wishes/demands of their husbands. I would particularly be happy to see responses to these arguments from brothers and sisters participating on this forum.

• 7 months later...

Only after we have deep love n our hearts from Christ can be begin to submit and be silent when it is impossible to be silent. Seeking deeper love is loke going out on a lot of dates with your best girl or boy friend. It requires so honest discussion with the FAther and the Holy Spirit. Every second of it is worth it. There is nothing better.

When we see something wrong, especailly for those who have dispair or have lost the hope that we know is there for them, we need to access what we can do to help realistically and then do it. Whe we are attacked by the evil one we need to recognize it and not submit ot the ploy that is tring to mess up our life at the moment. We need to remember that by the blood of Jesus we can overcome the works of the evil one.

if God is for us than who can be against?

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I think is is control, we always want to be in control and submitting to anyone means giving up a little bit of control over our selves. Submission does not mean being silent but it does mean being agreeable to someone else and their desire for you. Submission would always be wrong if it meant going against God's word.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (3:1) Why is submission so difficult for us humans?

Well, I wouldn't know. I've always been on the bottom rung of whatever ladder I'm on, be it at work or any other area of life. The boss is there and you do what he tells you to do. Simple. In marriage it's a two way street. Someone has to be in charge. There can't be joint leaders in a duo. The Bible says the husband is in charge then so be it. That having been said, I used to welcome any and all input that my wife had. I'd let her think she was running the show, but when important decisions needed to be made I'd do my best to get her to see things my way. But if she could convince me I was not right, there was never any shame in letting her have her way.

Does submission require you to be silent when you don't agree or feel something can be improved?

Definitely not. Even a truly submissive wife should always try to temper her husband when he's headed down the wrong track. Unless he's a complete monster he'll appreciate her all the more for doing that.

In the work situation as well, I had many instances where I could see my supervisor wasn't on the right track and I had little trouble in showing him that perhaps there was a better way. He's only human too and wasn't as experienced as I was in some areas. I went about doing that in the right way. Made him think it was his idea all along.

When is submission wrong for Christian?

When you are submitting to a course of action that is contrary to the laws of God. No wife should have to submit to doing something that is contrary to Biblical principles . . . and her husband should accept that.

• 6 months later...

6a)Society today stresses importance of equality in rights,employment, so submission is counter cultural.It is also part of pride, our sinful nature wanting to be the ones in control, and evil one sowing that seed of doubt.

b)Submission doesn’t mean to be silent if we have experience or ideas on how something can be improved, but to have wisdom and have an attitude of voluntary submission,winning over our husbands by our loving,gentle,caring behaviour in a co-operative spirit to help husbands be prevented from harm and from hurting others, or see the wisdom of our thinking.Wisdom is needed to know when to speak up and when not to,

c)Submission is wrong as a Christian if husband ask me to commit a sin, and act against God’s law of love, and put anything over God.

• 1 year later...

Submission is so difficult for us humans because we are wild, untamed, and rebellious creatures.  Nobody is going to tell us what to do -- for better or for worse.

Submission doesn't mean not being a team player.  It doesn't mean not having a voice in decisions in your life.  Submission means being a cooperative team player in your relationship with your spouse and/or others you are in working relationships with.  Individual willfulness can be very destructive in every kind of relationship.  In order to accomplish things there must be cooperative, agreeable spirits.

Submission is wrong when it requires Christians to do things that violate the commands, standards, and ways of God.