JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Spiritual Hunger

• 1 month later...

Communicating with God intimately has both a spiritual and physical effect on us.  Come close to God and God will come close to you...James 4:8.

As we draw close to God through Scripture and prayer and faith His Glory becomes imparted onto us, by the Holy Spirit,  changing us from the inside out, giving us love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, goodness and self-control.  Our desires change from earthly things which are temporary to heavenly things which are eternal.

Moses wanted to know God more to follow him and he wanted the people that he was leading to know him and follow him. God want to reveal his glory to all who seek to know him. Paul saw his glory as power to change to his image.(glory to glory) Moses and Paul wanted to change themselves and others. God's glory is a revelation of his nature and attribute. He is not just a God of wrath and judgment. His nature is love. We need to keep seeking and studying the word and be doers of the word. As we remain in the word seeking revelation of his glory, we will change through his spirit.

Edited by Valteenia

Knowing God leads to wanting more of Him, quite simply, because He is so very incredible. He is far above what we have ever experienced before, and there will never be anything more incredible than He. His holiness and His love draws us, and the better we know Him, the more of Him we get, the more we desire. Moses had the privilege of meeting with God, speaking with Him face to face, hearing His voice. With that knowledge of God, how could he not want a deeper relationship?

Paul wanted more of the Lord for the same reasons Moses did. He met the Lord in a wonderful vision. Paul had, throughout his life, thought he knew God. He studied intensely for years. But then he met Jesus. This One he had been persecuting, through his treatment of the Lord's followers, was the love of God personified. Now that Paul met Jesus, he had to know Him more.

I've followed the Lord for many years. I hungered to know Him since I was a young child, and remember lying on my bed in the dark, pondering God, and asking Him questions. The problem I had was living in a home where God was more of an afterthought than One I could have a relationship with. I did not know how to follow Him. For years I yearned for Him, not knowing how to get close to Him. Then, just a few months ago I had my own incredible experience, where God revealed Himself to me, not in visions, but in a cleansing awareness that has changed and is continuing to change me. He showed me, in my limited understanding, His love for me. In those approximately 45 minutes, He changed my heart, healed me of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, and made me new. I will never be the same.

The hunger to know Him more is increasing. The more I spend time with Him, the more I want of Him. The more I get of Him, the more I desire. The one thing that makes me want more is spending real time with Him, talking with Him, worshiping Him, and loving Him. The only way to satisfy this hunger, this need, is to continue spending real time with Him, spending time on His word, and listening, carefully, for His direction, encouragement, and cautions, through the Holy Spirit.

No one is holy like the LORD, For there is none besides You, Nor is there any rock like our God.  1 Samuel 2:2

Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.  James 4:8

Seek the LORD and His strength; Seek His face forever more!  1 Chronicles 16:11

Moses hunger to see God's glory is his desire of deeper knowledge and intimate relationship with God. Paul had that same hunger that's why he was pressing on toward the goal. Paul was seeking a deeper relationship with God through Christ Jesus. The closer you get to God the more you desire to know about Him. Having a hunger for God is a burning desire to know Him more and more. I find myself spending more time with Him now than I did years ago by praying and studying His Word more.

I can identify with Moses wanting to see God's glory. I was a newbie on anew project and every time there was a shutdown I would do some readup and give a answer as what I think was the problem and was wrong each time. But some experts were always right without reading up. I would wonder who are these guys that always seem to have the right answer? I always wanted to know what they know, why were they always right. I wish I could dissect them and learn their secret. I guess Moses felt the same way about God, he wanted to know what makes God tick? how is it that he knows everything? How is it that I can't seem to please Him? You know what, if only I can see Him I will understand Him better, I probably be able to discern how he thinks. It's just a desire to be just like Him. It's the same with Paul; if I'm like Him, it cuts out all the disappointments that my fleshly self would incur. My need to pleas/ appease Him is  important. Whatever He/Christ wants, I want to help Him achieve it. 

I have this hunger in me that says that if there are no more revelations to come regarding bringing all men to repentance, then God can squeeze me in as one of His secrets (Deut 29:29). I'm afraid that I may not in this life understand difficult books, passages or verses, so I read my bible daily hoping that I can truly understand what is God's will for me and mankind and how I can do His will.  

Q3. 
Why does Moses hunger to see God's glory? 
Why does Paul press on? 
What spiritual hunger do you see in yourself? 
How might you increase this hunger? 
How might you satisfy this hunger?

Moses had experienced an intimate fellowship with God, and had learned about God’s ways and about God’s grace.
Having tasted God’s glory, He hungered for more, he needed to know more of what God was like, especially if he was going to continue to lead these stubborn people. 
Moses therefore asks to see the glory of God. He was allowed to see part of God’s character - God’s goodness. 
This request was granted only in a limited way, for no one can look upon the unveiled glory of God and live. 

Paul presses on knowing that the Christian life is a journey.
He has this burning desire of getting to know Jesus better as well as becoming more and more like Jesus Himself.
To be able to accomplish this he rejects everything else as less worthy when compared to the knowledge of Christ Jesus. 
In Philippians 1:21 Paul states: “For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain”.
Paul tells us that the object of his life is to love, worship, and serve the Lord Jesus, and not to live for money, fame, or pleasure.
Even stating that to die is gain – that is to be with Christ and to be like Him forever.

In myself, I see this same spiritual hunger, to get closer to my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
As Christians we are new creations in Christ, but we live in a sinful world, still as sinners.
And this is the problem – we have been reckoned by God as righteous and He has accepted us by our faith in Christ, yet we are in fact still sinners, living in a fallen world. To increase this hunger, like Paul I need to get rid of all encumbrances that draw my attention away from the Lord. I must truly surrender all to Christ and I must trust Him in all I do and not lean on my own understanding. On top of this I must acknowledge Him in all I do. (Proverbs 3:5-6)
I know that the closer fellowship with the LORD is transforming and reviving, and the more grace we discover, the more we want.

However, I am also aware that I can never satisfy this hunger here on earth.
It is a continuing spiritual growth that can only be satisfied in heaven were we will see His glory more clearly and in full.
There we will be able to see His permanent and everlasting glory in His own infinite perfection.

to tQ3 Why does Moses hunger to see God's Glory?

We were created to be one with God....I think Moses' hunger was that inborn desire for intimacy with God. To KNOW Him.

Why does Paul press on?

Paul had experienced years in the desert alone with Jesus. His desire to press on, I believe, was the same desire as Moses, for more intimacy with God.

I too desire more intimacy with my Lord. We were created  "To know God and to make Him known" The more intimacy we share, the more I hunger for Him."

I pray for more intimacy, and for daily infilling of Holy Spirit. (To avoid quenching the Spirit!)

By spending more time in His Presence....in worship, in prayer, in His Word, and by allowing Holy Spirit permission and access, to teach, train, correct and instruct me. He is the one who changes me, but my "work" is to be available and to rest in Him.

Q3

- Because of Gods glory Moses spent his time communication with God, Symbolic talk Gods face and back, veil over his face.

- Because Paul shared Moses heart toward God.

- I need more powerful for intimacy with God.

- I pray everyday, work with old people, take time read bible.

- I think  satisfy not really come, but I thank u God for his love and care everyday.

Why does Moses hunger to see God’s glory? Moses' had personal encounters with God's glory on a number of occasions, he spends time in personal communication with God and is changed by it. With my own encounter with Jesus, that changed my life, I too desire more of God's glory too.

Why does Paul press on? Paul press on toward the goal for the prize of the heavenly call of God in Christ Jesus

What spiritual hunger do you see in yourself? My spiritual hunger is like Moses, I have a personal relationship with God and I know he loves me and God loves for me to cry unto him, so he can comfort me with his greatest love of all.

How might you increase this hunger? Always reading and studying God's holy word and always seek him for everything

How might you satisfy this hunger? Prayer, meditating, reading and sharing this great hunger with others.

Lesson 1           Q3.

a)     Why does Moses hunger to see God's glory?

He yearned to see God because of the intimate relationship Moses had with God, a Spirit, Who does not have physicality. And this is why I believe the term “face to face” must never be understood or taken literally as, it is a description some sort similar to “intimately.” Moses must have assumed that God, being so intimate during their conversation, must be have a human physic, and therefore the reason why he wanted to see the face and glory of God.

B)    Why does Paul press on?

The rationale behind Paul’s “press on” motive was to see God’s glory resonating in Jesus Christ. That was Paul’s goal.

c)     What spiritual hunger do you see in yourself?  d)  How might you increase this hunger?  e) How might you satisfy this hunger?

I truly yearn to connect with God through meditation and increase this hunger by serving spiritual or materialistic needs of others around me. God has said, “You will seek and find me when you seek me with all my heart.

I want God’s grace and strength to resist the basic human hunger that leads me to find fulfillment in other areas – I only want the appetite for spirituality in Jesus Christ, my Lord and my God.

When God sent Moses to deliver the Israelites out of Egypt, He told Moses to tell His people ‘Go say I AM hath sent you.’  Exodus 3:14.  Can you imagine Moses not really knowing how to convince the Israelites to follow him saying that ‘I AM’ sent him.  Moses hungered for the Glory of God because he wanted to learn about God’s nature and character.  He knew that would enable him to be more equipped to lead God’s rebellious people.   Having seen God’s love, mercy, humility changed/helped Moses to be more understanding of the Israelites.

Paul presses on because he sees the Glory of God’s power to change the beholder.  We saw the changes in Moses.   Paul feels that once we get the revelation of God’s Glory, His love, grace and readiness to forgive, the Holy Spirit will continually open our eyes to more of the aspects of God’s character.  God will manifest in us the way He wants to be known by us.

My spiritual hunger is to really get to know God and to and have Him directing me along life's path.

Praying to God, participating in forums such as this which helps me to study and internalize the Word of God, could help me to satisfy my spiritual hunger..

Q3.

Q. Why does Moses hunger to see God's glory?

A. He was not satisfied with the status quo. Thus 'Oliver twist wanted more'

Q. Why does Paul press on?

A. To enable him reach the peak, the goal, the full knowledge of God.

Q. What spiritual hunger do you see in yourself?

A. Rather I see the need to know the Lord more and more, more importantly, to have an encounter with Him hearing Him speak audibly to me or even to see Him face to face.

Q. How might you increase this hunger?

A. By creating more intimate time in meditation, prayers and worship with Him.

Q. How might you satisfy this hunger?

A. As in above.

Q3. Why does Moses hunger to see God’s glory? Why does Paul press on? What spiritual hunger do you see in yourself? How might you increase this hunger? How might you satisfy this hunger?

Because Moses spending intimate time with God in His presence found himself changed by it as it had both a spiritual and physical effect on him.

Paul presses on because he counts every thing but loss for the surpassing knowledge of knowing Christ Jesus and making it his own. Forgetting the past and pressing on for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

I want everything God has for me, I want to know Him more, as He is a wealth and a treasure.

By learning more about him, asking him to make me hungry, satisfying me and making me hungry again and again.

By spending time in the word and in His presence .

Q3. Why does Moses hunger to see God's glory? Why does Paul press on? What spiritual hunger do you see in yourself? How might you increase this hunger? How might you satisfy this hunger? 

1.  Moses longs for a greater knowledge of and intimacy with God because he is not content with the relationship you already have with God.

2.  He knows and trust that it is worth more than anything. Paul said, "I regard everything as loss because of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord.... I press on to make it my own.... This one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the heavenly call of God in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 3:8a, 12b, 13b-14)

3.  I see the will to do a much better job at ministering the word and witnessing about the Lord as well as doing his complete will.

4.  I will do as much reading, praying, fasting, and giving up myself as possible. I will be a witness that God is calling for.

5.  The hunger will be satisfied by doing God’s will which includes seeking him and performing what he asks.

Why does Moses hunger to see God’s glory? Why does Paul press on? What spiritual hunger do you see in yourself? How might you increase this hunger? How might you satisfy this hunger?

Moses hunger to see God's glory because he wants greater knowledge of and intimacy with God. 

Paul presses on because he desires to know more of Christ and to obtain the goal for the prize of the heavenly call of God in Christ Jesus.

Spiritual hunger I see for myself is to have a more intimacy relationship with God.  This will be accomplished by setting time aside for prayer and studying his word.

I think I will always have hunger for his word.

On 12/16/2016 at 1:25 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. Why does Moses hunger to see God’s glory? Why does Paul press on? What spiritual hunger do you see in yourself? How might you increase this hunger? How might you satisfy this hunger?

Moses hungers for God's glory because he wants to know him intimately.

Paul presses on because he witnessed the glory of the Lord and wants more than anything else to know him intimately.

My spiritual hunger is to know God intimately myself. Thus I will press on to serve and seek him more.

The only way to satisfy my hunger of knowing the Lord is to study his word daily and pray he would reveal more of himself to me.  

Why does Moses hunger to see God's glory?

Moses relied on God's glory to lead the grumbling nation of Israel. 

Why does Paul press on?

Because the BEST in life, love and happiness is found in the presence of God alone.

I hunger for humility, to die to self. 

Fellowship with believers, daily repentance and prayer. 

Looking to Christ seeking first His righteousness. 

The reason that Moses hungers to see God’s glory is because he knows that God is the greatest companion to have. Paul presses on so that he can get closer to God. I can see this spiritual hunger in me because I am always studying the Bible and wanting to get to know God more. I satisfy this hunger by studying the Bible and being in fellowship with others who want to be close to God.

I think Moses hungered to see God's glory because he had already seen it. When we have a desire/taste for something it's because we have already tasted it before.  When we are craving something, the desire is so strong that we say, "I can almost taste it I want it so bad." 

Paul pressed on, I believe, because as scripture says he knew Christ and what lies ahead for him. There is a prize/reward ahead for those who finish their race. The Lord has been speaking a lot to me about the need, especially in this day and age, to stay focused on Him. Nothing should be more important than knowing him. This life is but a vapor, then eternity...

I plan to increase my hunger by practicing the Christian disciplines of denying my flesh > prioritizing bible reading and prayer time with him > not doing all the talking, but doing more listening. Not giving him my leftover time of the day. Pray for me. As I spend time with Him my hunger will be satisfied. Although that is kind of an oxymoron, like satisfied malnutrition. Because I think the more you are satisfied the hungrier you become for more of him > as long as you guard against the foxes that want to spoil the vine.   

I think Moses wanted to see the manifest glory of God. He wanted assurance of God’s presence with him, Aaron, and Joshua, and also he desired to know that presence experientially. Because we are finite and morally imperfect, we cannot exist and see God as he is. To see God’s back means we can only see where God has passed by. We can only know him by what he does and how he acts. We cannot comprehend God as he really is apart from Jesus Christ (John 14:9). Jesus promised to show himself to those who believe.

After Paul considered everything he had accomplished in his life, he said that it was all “worthless” when compared with the greatness of knowing Christ. This is a profound statement about values: A person’s relationship with Christ is more important than anything else. To know Christ should be our ultimate goal. Consider your values. Do you place anything above your relationship with Christ?

My spiritual hunger is to seek God intimently. To desire, have appetite and be complete in Him.Hunger and thirst for spiritual things.

Q4. What is the relationship between the tabernacle in the wilderness and the Kingdom of God? How do God's Kingdom and glory come together in the wilderness tabernacle?

The Tabernacle was a tent and temple shepherd’s dwelling place and a place of worship dwelling place of God, and also a meeting place between God and man in the wilderness. The Kingdom of was dwelling in the wilderness.

The Tabernacle was a portable place of worship designed for the people as they were traveling toward the Promised Land, it was the dwelling place of God and His Kingdom will come down. 

Moses experiences God face to face and witnesses His glory and once that has happened and you know God's love and glory you want it more.  In order to continue in the glory of God, Moses must keep in communion with God.  He longs for the intimacy that you can only gain by spending time with God.

Paul presses on because he knows that God's plan and heaven are far more than what we have on Earth.  He wants to focus on the prize ahead--heaven, praising God and being in His presence.

I believe the more we indulge into our relationship with God the more we grow and become centered in God's will.  Things don't go smoother when in relationship with God but our perspective and how we handle them is changed.  I know I want and need to strengthen my relationship and understanding of God.

It is a cause and effect, the more we engage with God the more we want to engage with Him,  We long to be within His will.  The more we know, the more we want to know.

• 2 weeks later...

Moses hungered to see God because he had seen in the burning bush something off that glory of God and because of this Moses wanted to see and experience more of the story. God gave him that experience off more Glory by associating and communing with Moses and by allowing Moses to see his ' back.'

Paul also saw something off the glory of Christ on the Damascus Road and he continually strive forward to experience more of that Glory.

As I study, learn and read more about God I found that my Hunger for relation with God grows into portion to my study and work.

This hunger can be saturated buy communion with God by prayer, scripture reading, study and In Worship. As we continue along this road of study and prayer we become more and more in tune with God and hunger for his relationship. Praise be to God.