JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Jesus' Prayer Pattern

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The pattern i`m seeing emerging hear is unavailability. When the disciples came to Jesus to tell him that people are looking for him to attend to them, He chose to go to another city to preach there. So what i`m getting here is that sometimes it`s better not to be quick to respond to peoples demand and requests.

Hello Pastor, 

The pattern seen emerging in Jesus's prayer life, is that He always went to s quiet place to spend time alone with The Father. This was mostly before His day began, before He was distracted with the busyness of the day. At  this time He could clearly hear The Father's instructions and guidance needed for the day. The disciples were more concerned about the people who wanted Jesus's miracles, but Jesus was impelled to preach the gospel, because. thst is what The FATHER had told Him to do. I am getting better in planning my day with The Father first. MY DAY GOES SO MUCH BETTER.

What pattern do you see emerging in Jesus' prayer life? 

The first thing Jesus did was go to God. Most of time He went by Himself, though a couple times disciples went with Him. Jesus went to a quiet place, away from the business/activity of life. Jesus went to be with God. He recognized He needed God first, before starting His day; He needed God's Word, God's direction, clarity from God before He went out.

Why do you think He spends Quiet Time with the Father before the day begins? Jesus knows God; He knows that in order to know what to do, to be clear on His mission, He needed to hear from His Father. The morning, He could be alone before town's people began to seek Him (to see miracles, out of curiosity, etc). He was able to be still and know God's direction.

How does this prepare Him for His ministry? Jesus is going out by His Father's direction. Jesus knows God, He listens to God and gets His direction from God. Jesus was willing to be obedient at all costs to His Father, because He knew who the Father was ... that because He knew the Father so intimately He was willing to do whatever, though He did ask God to "let this cup pass" when God's instruction wasn't something He wanted to do. 

How did the disciple desires for Jesus differ from what Jesus felt impelled to do? (Mark 1:37-38) Why? 

Do you have a Quiet Time?  I have been struggling to sit down quietly early in the morning. I've learned that if I start to do absolutely anything before sitting quietly I'm off and running. Since I started this study, I found a place to go outside and sit quietly with the Lord (in the car). We are in a motorhome (closed space) and I need to be away from everything. Car is perfect. One morning I wasn't feeling so great and wasn't going to go outside. I sensed the Holy Spirit nudging me and telling me that this was our time together ... so, out I went. This has become my quiet time with the Lord.  I used to just read through the Bible, according to a plan ... then I'd think another plan was better, so I'd switch to that plan. Things got pretty confusing. I have started to listen to a praise song in morning (my phone alarm is Amazing Grace), then grab my coffee and sit quietly in the car, wanting to hear from the Lord.  I'm OK if I just sit 5 minutes and writ down whatever comes to mind. A little journaling.  Am attempting to read few chapters in OT, some in book of John.

What could you do to improve the quality of your time with God each day? I need to ask God for help to keep the commitment I made with Him, to help me be disciplined ... without Him I can do nothing. And I need to lay aside my plans and ask God what He wants me to do that day ... the though just came to mind that I need to ask God, "Lord, what can I do to improve my quality of time with You.  And, please help me do it." Once again, without Him I can do nothing (I'm learning that nothing means absolutely nothing.)

Edited by JZB

Q1. (Mark 1:33-39)

Q. What pattern do you see emerging in Jesus' prayer life?

Jesus found time with God no matter where He was as a priority of the day.  Seeking Him out in the early morning, it needed to commune with the Father before the day's activity started. It seemed to give Him direction, wisdom, knowledge and strength for the day.  He also seemed to want his disciples to pick up this pattern.

Q. Why do you think he spends Quiet Time with the Father before the day begins?

Limited by His human form, He would not have knowledge and power of a deity, so spending time in the Father's presence would have given Him the insight into God's will and purpose that He would not have.  He would also get direction w.r.t God's will and instructions for the day.  I think of Philippians 2 where Jesus humbling of himself, would have been limiting.  He also put Himself under Father Gods leadership, not being prideful and submitted, even to death.  This pattern of seeking the Father, was Jesus continually submitting himself to the will and purpose of the Father.

Q. How does this prepare him for his ministry?

He would not be tempted to do what limited human understanding (like that of the disciples)would do, but instead follow God's leading and direction.  He would also receive strength and discernment for his circumstances, being able to see beyond human agenda's, to God's agenda.  In this passage, instead of doing the obvious and staying to minister and heal to the large crowds, seeking the Father's agenda, meant leaving to preach in other towns.

Q. How did the disciple desires for Jesus differ from what Jesus felt impelled to do? (Mark 1:37-38) Why?

The disciples would have been amazed by the crowds and the fame and the people.  With the pressure from people, they would see themselves as assistants to a great healer, no where near God's agenda.  In seeking the Father's will and purpose, Jesus would have re-established in His heart his main purpose, to preach in the area.  Not to establish himself as a healer in that town.

Q. Do you have a Quiet Time?

Yes.  I do about an hour Monday to Friday.  I find the weekends difficult to find the hour, so those are shorter, with church on Sunday.  This is an extension of a study I have been doing on the Holy Spirit.  I plan my time in bible study, spreading prayer, study etc as I feel led.  My journal records what I have understood in this time.

Q. What could you do to improve the quality of your time with God each day?

Jesus Prayer life was very organised and systematic what ever He does He wants us to immolate and follow if we closely observe we can find hidden truths which we should follow especially the prayerful life.

Spending the quiet time with The Father  will reveal and prepare Him for the day.

His disciples were also like to see the miracles by Jesus, they have no idea about the divine plan that the Gospel has to be spread and told in all places.

Yes I do have Quiet time but now I should organize  it in a better way.

I would like to have a deeper relationship with God to lead me for the rest of the day and also to understand His will.

The pattern emerging from Jesus' prayer life is unmistakably a regular quiet time set apart to commune with his Father, in the early morning when it is still dark and most of the people are yet to get up from bed. It seems during that time Jesus received teachings and guidance about his Father's will regarding his ministry on that day.

Then he went on about his ministry, fulfilling his Father's will in perfect obedience. I see the fulfilment of the prophecy in Isaiah 50:4 in the prayer pattern of Jesus 

On 11/29/2017 at 1:55 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Mark 1:33-39) What pattern do you see emerging in Jesus’ prayer life? Why do you think he spends Quiet Time with the Father before the day begins? How does this prepare him for his ministry? How did the disciple desires for Jesus differ from what Jesus felt impelled to do? (Mark 1:37-38) Why? Do you have a Quiet Time? What could you do to improve the quality of your time with God each day?

The pattern that I notice in Jesus is that he always, without fail, tries to seek a quiet moment to talk to His Father in Heaven. That is beautiful, to begin the day with a meeting with Our Father in Heaven, is so sweet to even start the day. 

I believe He spends those quiet moments with the Father to understand all Directions and Plans the Father in Heaven has in store for Him. I believe it is always the Director's choice, in Jesus Ministry and ensuring the will of God goes first. This definitely grants Him the desired results God wants out of everything God has planned His Son to perform.

The Disciplles on the other hand was overwhelmed with the healing process, that they got taken deeper into it rather than the core Jesus spoke about, which is this prayer moment with God. If we don't talk to God, how will we know what God has in store for the day ahead of us? Or rather what our missions are?

I would try my very best to seek those quiet moment with God, handling the household chores, along with raising a toddler and an 8 year old school-going kid, I know it is a challenge, but I try to seek quiet times to read the Bible, and yet, children interrupt me in those moments. It is tough having active kids always coming in your study room. I keep my study room as a place for prayer because I write notes, on what I want to share with God, and who I want to pray for until some answers, whether it is a No or Yes comes to the person I am praying for, including me. I find it disciplines me in how to talk to my Director (God above) cause we can never go unprepared to the Board of Directors right! :)

What pattern do you see emerging in Jesus' prayer life?

Jesus always took time out of His busy life to spend valuable time with His Father - it was a daily meeting before the day began.  

Why do you think he spends Quiet Time with the Father before the day begins?

I think Jesus spent quiet time with His Father early in the morning before the busyness of the day became a distraction. He did this to stay grounded, humble and understand what His Father needed Him to do - it was His Father's agenda, and not His own.

How does this prepare him for his ministry?

Being close to His Father, Jesus understands the true nature of His Father's heart - Jesus follows the path prepared rather than what other people or His disciples think should be done.

How did the disciple desires for Jesus differ from what Jesus felt impelled to do?

The disciples thought it was physical healing that was needed and that people needed to see Jesus.  Jesus understood that they needed to hear the living word of God to be healed and become closer to God.

Why?

Jesus understood because He had spent quality time with His father listening and praying, whilst  His disciples were listening to the crowd and what they thought was needed.

Do you have a Quiet Time?

I used to have quiet time with God but allowed life's busyness to get in the way of that.

What could you do to improve the quality of your time with God each day?

Follow Jesus' example and get up a little bit earlier than the rest of the family to spend time with our Father before the day begins - with open ears and heart!

On 28/11/2017 at 7:55 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

To help you internalize and apply what you are learning from this study, I have included several Discussion Questions in each lesson. These are designed to help you think about and ponder the most important points. Don't skip these. It is best to write out your answers, whether you post them or not. However, you can post your answers – and read what others have written – by going to the online forum by clicking on the URL below each question. (Before you can post your answer the first time, you will need to register. You can find instructions at http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/instructions.htm

Q1. (Mark 1:33-39) What pattern do you see emerging in Jesus’ prayer life? Why do you think he spends Quiet Time with the Father before the day begins? How does this prepare him for his ministry? How did the disciple desires for Jesus differ from what Jesus felt impelled to do? (Mark 1:37-38) Why? Do you have a Quiet Time? What could you do to improve the quality of your time with God each day?

It is a difficult concept to believe that God talks to one. Jesus however shows over and over again that His Father does talk to Him, just as He will talk to us. A secluded spot with no disturbances is needed and this Quiet Time will prepare me for the day. The disciples didn't understand, when they found him that He had been told by His Father to travel to other cities. This was His mission. I now once again have a Quiet Time....I listen to your audio, pray and do a Daily Devotional.

Jesus was awake much before dawn and used to spend time with the Heavenly Father in prayer, before the distractions from the day begins.

Jesus would take guidance from God the Father to give him strength to carry out His plan because what ever Father says the Son used to do.

It will give Jesus confidence preparedness and renewed and refreshed for the day before facing it to spread to Good news.

Jesus is never settling down in one place only after preaching about the kingdom of God, He wants to go into deeper unbleached villages and preach.

Yes I have quiet time available for me because I getup early before anybody is awake in the house. 

I would like to be more consistent in spending this precious time with God by organizing in a better way with the fear of God.  

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 12:55 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a.) Faithfulness in spending quiet time in prayer with the Father every day. b.) Knowing he could do nothing of Himself, He depended on the Father for direction and instruction.  Seeking God for answers and direction first thing in the morning as there can be many distractions during the day.   I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me. John 5:30 c.) Getting direction and instruction from the Father. In His ministry He did nothing of Himself but what He saw the Father do. d.) The disciples kept looking for Him to say he was needed here and there for healing the people. Jesus felt impelled to go from town to town to preach The message of the Kingdom. e.) Jesus did it because He was obedient to what the Father told him to do. f.) Yes, but it is not regular, sporadic.  g.) Just sit myself down at a specified time and not be distracted and just do it.  I am so bless when I do.

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 12:43 AM, Shogird said:

od directed JesusHIf Jesus was God why He had to withdraw and pray? I think He was also a son of man, a human being subject to laws, physical and emotional limitations on earth. He might be overwhelmed by pressing human needs and constant noise. By reading this portion one thing struck me that Jesus preached, healed and cast out demons everywhere he went. Probably it was quiet and beautiful place in Nazareth and Judea at that time but when Jesus started to preach the truth and expose the evil, all the problems and a spiritual confrontation started to come out to the surface. Today when we go out and see nice roads, neighborhoods, nicely dressed people we may not realize that there is still a need for God's truth to be preached and demons to be cast out. I think Jesus is trying to teach us to be in prayer before engaging the world. 

I myself have three small kids and it is hard to find a quiet place at home. I have to go someplace to study and pray or I have to do that when everybody is sleeping. For this new year, I want to be intentional about finding a quiet place to spend time with God before going out to the world. 

Jesus started his day alone in prayer every day. He listened to his Father to hear his will.By praying each day. By daily prayer God directed Jesus` steps, and accomplished his will.   

Jesus did the will of his Father, not the will of the disciples.

No start a quiet time and stick to it!

The Lord Jesus has prioritized His prayer time with His Father. In our limited understanding we tend to think that prayer time (or most of it) is a time of intercession. For our Lord prayer time with His Father was a time of divine fellowship in order that their sovereign plan and purpose would be fulfilled each day. Jesus on His earthly ministry and in His incarnation sought fulfillment of this oneness with His God. 

That is why He set aside the early hours of each day to pray and commune with God. This would be a model for us as well.

That would prepare Him for each day as He was to confront opposition to His purpose from various angles during His earthly ministry. 

Yes I do have my quiet time, though I confess it is not as regular as I desire and long

The pattern I see emerging in Jesus’ prayer life is that of seeking God whenever He can. He needed to talk to God so that He could be doing His work. I think that he spends quiet time with the Father before the day begins because in the morning all the creatures are singing and it quite relaxing. That is when you can realize how great God really is. This prayer time makes it possible for him to be able to put up with the people he will have to deal with. The disciples thought he should be healing all the time and Jesus knew he was put on this earth to teach.

Q1. (Mark 1:33-39) What pattern do you see emerging in Jesus' prayer life? The pattern of withdrawal to have quiet time, to pray to the father before anything else. He often withdraw to a quiet place for prayer. He does this before he engages himself in other activities.

Why do you think he spends Quiet Time with the Father before the day begins? Luke 5:16 states that Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed. 4:42 also states that “At daybreak Jesus went out to a solitary place..”

How did the disciple desires for Jesus differ from what Jesus felt impelled to do? The Disciple’s desire was for Jesus to attend to those who come but Jesus preferred to move somewhere else, to those who had not heard about him also.

(Mark 1:37-38) Why? After they had found Jesus where he was they informed him that everyone was looking for him to solve their issues. Instead of him going to see them he went ahead and told Simon and his companions that they go somewhere else to the nearby villages so that he can preach there also.

After Jesus had cast out demons, his fame spread all over.

“I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does.”

Do you have a Quiet Time? Yes, I do

What could you do to improve the quality of your time with God each day? To press on more on having a quiet time.

• 2 weeks later...

The pattern would be Jesus going off and praying alone to His/our Father. He spends time with Him early in the day to be prepared for the day. This helps Him by Him calling on our Father for the answers to the daily tasks. By beginning the day in the meditation helps be in peace. The deciples wanted Jesus to continue to heal in a place where Jesus had already brought forth much healing. Jesus wanted to continue on the journey because He knew there was much ministry and healing to be done in a short time. I do have quiet time before work and sometimes before bed. However, I do need to devote more quite time with Him. I could improve this by dedicating a certain time during each day to spend quality time in His presence.

• 2 weeks later...

1. What pattern do you see ermeging in Jesus prayer life?

2. Why do you think  he spends quiet time with the Father before the day begins?

I will answer them together.

- In the dawn of a new day before your mind is equiped with its troubles, as a servant to the master. It's good behaviour (a) To thank God for the life He has given you this  brand day (b) To be informed on the duties of the day (c) Be equiped with the necessary tools of the task and last (d) To request for security as you perform the days task.

3. How does this prepare him for his ministry?

- He has confidence and assuarance from God in whatever he'll do will prosper.

4. How did the disciples desires for Jesus differ from what Jesus felt impelled to do?

- The disciples behaved like little children. Jesus was teaching them about preparedness which it didn't make sense to them.

5. Do you have a quiet time?

- Sincere speaking! Rating  with percentage, it is 8% out of 100%

6. What could you do to improve the quality of your time with God each day?

- I will repent 1st for being sluggish and ask the Holy Spirit to help me. I will be a happy the moment that % will clock above 50%.

Thank you Pastor Ralph for the opportunity to partake on your studies.

God bless you, God help us all.

Amen.

• 4 weeks later...

At a time when He could not be disturbed, He separated himself in order to pray.  He did this in order to get direction / guidance and instruction for the day.  This energized and empowered him to do the will of the father.  His disciples wanted him to continue in the popularity of healing yet Jesus wanted to preach and reach out to many - for that is what the father had sent Him out to do.  Sometimes yes i do have quiet times but not often enough.  I think more dedication / focus and consistence as well discipline to listen and not just read the word and pray.

• 2 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 11:55 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

To help you internalize and apply what you are learning from this study, I have included several Discussion Questions in each lesson. These are designed to help you think about and ponder the most important points. Don't skip these. It is best to write out your answers, whether you post them or not. However, you can post your answers – and read what others have written – by going to the online forum by clicking on the URL below each question. (Before you can post your answer the first time, you will need to register. You can find instructions at http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/instructions.htm

Jesus Christ likes to be alone when he prays to God.  God was probably increasing his faith constantly to do God’s will.  It strengthens him to accomplish all that God the Father has sent Jesus to do.  Jesus Christ was always wanting people to have faith, many times after he performed a miracle he says to the person your faith has made you whole.  His apostles were making some mistakes in that they wanted Jesus to stay because all men seek for you.  But Jesus says let’s go to other towns for I must preach there also.  Yes, I have a quiet time with God when I pray.  I guess I could pray longer but I don’t want to be like the Pharisees and for a showing make long prayers and Jesus says these will receive the greater damnation.  I don’t speak to God until I turn off the light, get down on my knees, and get in the spirit to feel like I’m in God’s realm!!

• 4 weeks later...

What pattern do you see emerging in Jesus’ prayer life? (He would rise early to be alone with God, thru prayer.) Why do you think he spends Quiet Time with the Father before the day begins? (He was surround by people, needs, worldly cares. He needed to be able to hear God.) How does this prepare him for his ministry? (Being in solitude with God  (who is the Word) prepared him for what he came for: to preach the Word to others.) How did the disciple desires for Jesus differ from what Jesus felt impelled to do? (Mark 1:37-38) (The disciples wanted Jesus to attend to the people who came to their door...they wanted Jesus to come to those who had already hear about him, heard the salvation message. Jesus wanted to go preach the Word of God (to preach the salvation message) to those who had not heard of him.)  Why? (Jesus came to preach the Word of God.)  Do you have a Quiet Time? (No. I am drowning in work and responsibilities.) What could you do to improve the quality of your time with God each day? (Set aside a time for him, ask God to help me commit to it, then do it.) 

• 3 weeks later...

The pattern that Jesus is demonstrating to me is that He seek God(the Father) early of his day for guidance. Our quiet time is to  be tune in to God to received our daily bread(spiritual food)

I need to make God a priority early in the morning . To improve the quality of my time with him, I need to talk and LISTEN