JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Done with Sinning

Q1. (4:1-2) When the scripture says "arm yourselves with the same attitude" as Christ had, how should this attitude help keep you from sin? What attitude are we talking about?

This attitude should be our mindset. We should now consider ourselves dead to sin and alive with Christ. We should change our sinful attitude to Christ's attitude.

Our attitude should be to do the will of God. In order to do this, we need the Holy Spirit to dwell in us, because without the Holy Spirit, we are just simply self-righteous individuals. The Holy Spirit will teach us, remind us, equip us to do what is pleasing to God. The Holy Spirit will give us wisdom to understand the message of God, will enable us to heal the sick, to do miracles, and even to raise the dead.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (4:1-2) When the scripture says "arm yourselves with the same attitude" as Christ had, how should this attitude help keep you from sin? What attitude are we talking about?

Jesus was given to us to fulfill Gods plan, that of salvation for mankind. He came to earth to live as man, to be persecuted , to suffer and die for us that we might be purged of our sins and have an everlasting relationship with the fether when accepting Him as Lord and savior.Christ live His life on earth blameless and in total submission to His Father.

This very attitude is what we must pursue, we must clothe ourselves in Gods will, and follow in the example that Jesus set for us. Walking in His footsteps will bring us closer to God, the further we walk the closer we get.

Christ died for our sins, he no longer remembers them. That is what we are to do as Christians. We are not to remember our sins. We are to arm ourselves with the same mind, courage, and resolution as Christ. I think the attitude is the mind of Christ and living for the will of God in our lives.

• 8 months later...

Q1. (4:1-2) When the scripture says "arm yourselves with the same attitude" as Christ had, how should this attitude help keep you from sin?

If we had the attitude to please the Father in everything that we do then we would keep ourselves from sin.

What attitude are we talking about?

Christ suffered in the flesh so that we could be free from sin, although when Christ suffered on the cross he had told the Father not my will but thine be done therefore he was willing to please the Father.

• 2 months later...

Q1. (4:1-2)

When the scripture says "arm yourselves with the same attitude" as Christ had, how should this attitude help keep you from sin?

The same way Jesus had nothing more to do with sin, after He had died on the cross, is the way we are to turn our backs on sin; having nothing more to do with it. It is this attitude that will keep us away from sin. Of course we will sin, but we will be immediately aware of it and ask for forgiveness. Since being indwelt by the Spirit, we live by the power of the Spirit. The thought of Jesus dying for my sins, hurts me terribly, and I have tried to live a life that is dead to sin. This is the attitude we are talking about. It is now not all about me but rather all about Jesus.

• 7 months later...

The idea of 'capturing every thought' might seem like a tall order, but the deeper Christ brings the Holy Spirit into us, the more deep our peace and the possibility of capturing thoughts and actions before they become outward sins is a step that we can not do. But we can let God lead us and when He does it we only notice that we are a little better than we were before. This can become a progressive process, but it seems that it requires a discipline that is exactly what is stated above "arm yourselves with an attitude"

So we ask our might God to fill our hearts with his love and compassion, to slow our actions and thoughts so that we can receive the "attitude" that will bring us to a new level, and we don't look back!

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Q1. (4:1-2) When the scripture says "arm yourselves with the same attitude" as Christ had, how should this attitude help keep you from sin?

In accepting Christ as Savior and Lord and being united with Him in Baptism I need to always keep in mind that I died to sin just as He did. I need to keep constantly in mind that I am done with sin. I may slip from time to time but my main focus should be to keep myself from deliberately sinning by the help and grace of the Holy Spirit.

The attitude to take towards sin is that we should be done with it. Sin should no longer reign in our mortal bodies. Our attitude from here on in should be to serve God and to keep his commandments.

• 6 months later...

When the scripture says "arm yourselves with the same attitude" as Christ had, how should this attitude help keep you from sin? What attitude are we talking about?

This attitude should help us to realise that the price for sin was already paid and as a result we are free from the bonds of sin. We can live a victorious life in and through Christ and this should empower us.

This is the attitude that we no longer have anything to do with sin.

• 8 months later...

1a) Even if we say&have attitude that we won’t sin, we need power of Father,Son and Holy Spirit,we need helmet of salvation, breast plate of righteousness,sword of Spirit, shield of faith, girth of truth, shoes in the Word to keep us from sinning. Jesus knew he would suffer,when he accepted God’s command. He has conquered death &sin once for all by his terrible death on the cross, and as we die to self each time repent,he does so again and again. If we are humble,recognising this freedom in Christ even though we are not worthy,don’t deserve this on own merits,we have been part of Jesus suffering,our deep gratitude,for his costly sacrifice should motivate us to seek to live in his will rejecting sin, and not under world/desires of flesh and satan.

B)Humble, grateful desire to live life in will of God trusting the Spirit of Christ to lead,convict,shape and mould me. Attitude of obedience to God with Spirit to help us be victorious over sin in Christ.

• 8 months later...

Christ was willing to suffer physically in rejecting sin.  As followers of Christ, Jesus said we must take our cross and follow him.  We must be willing to suffer in defiance and rejection of sin and this satanic world order we live in.  We must take on the same attitude as Jesus. 

The sin of this world and its influence is at odds with a soul striving to be Christ-like.  It is at odds and at war with the Kingdom of God.  Suffering can be both physical and emotional.  We must be prepared and willing to suffer both to carry out God's will in our lives.  One aspect of that will is to be holy as he is holy.

As Paul wrote to the Phillippians "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."  Phil. 4:13

As painful as it might be we must break the chains that hold us to this world.  This world means death and eternal separation from God.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

By arming ourselves with the attitude that Christ had on the cross we should have the same attitude as he did, sin is finished, it is defeated.

The attitude should be one of arming ourselves with the thought that Christ died for our sins and we should use this as defense or sword against sin. Christ was done with sin so should we, ceasing from it. 

• 6 months later...

When the scripture says "arm yourselves with the same attitude" as Christ had, how should this attitude help keep you from sin? What attitude are we talking about?   The "attitude" that we're talking about is our attitude about sin and Christ’s “attitude” was to be done with it completely. 

As we reflect upon the suffering and the horrible way He died we know that this was the price for our redemption.  It was a debt that we owed but He paid it in our stead so our “attitude” should be to repay that debt by being done with sin ourselves.

• 5 months later...

Jesus set His mind to winning a total victory over sin and death on our behalf.

He paid the awful price of becoming sin for us.  As I seek to “arm myself with the same attitude” I should not take sin lightly! I should abhor it! Jesus is my example – I should seek to walk in His steps! Lord help me to hear your voice speaking to me from your word in regard to this, and to walk humbly with You.

• 5 months later...

1. (4:1-2) When the scripture says "arm yourselves with the same attitude" as Christ had, how should this attitude help keep you from sin? What attitude are we talking about?

----We must become more sin conscience 

----Keep our eyes on Jesus

• 4 weeks later...

(4:1-2) When the scripture says "arm yourselves with the same attitude" as Christ had, how should this attitude help keep you from sin? What attitude are we talking about?

This attitude should help keep us from sin because he who has suffered in his body is done with sin.  As a result, he does not live the rest of his earthly life for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God.  Instead of living in order to fulfill our petty desires and lusts, we live with a higher purpose -- to live the rest of our earthly lives ... for the will of God."  Attitude of obedience and doing the will of God.

On 3/28/2004 at 2:41 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Arm yourself with the same attitude as Christ had means we must have a stake in His suffering by do away from sin and to live the rest of our for the Will of God. This attitude it is a challenged and an adventure therefore, help keep us from sin again. The attitude we are talking about is the attitude of living for the Will of God and plans forever.

Q1. (4:1-2) 
When the scripture says "arm yourselves with the same attitude" as Christ had, how should this attitude help keep you from sin? 

The same way Jesus had nothing more to do with sin, after He had died on the cross, is the way we are to turn our backs on sin - having nothing more to do with it. It is this attitude that will keep us away from sin. Of course we will sin, but we will be immediately aware of it and ask for forgiveness. Since being indwelt by the Spirit, we live by the power of the Spirit, and He will help us to persevere in living a life that will bring glory to our Heavenly Father.  The thought of Jesus dying for my sins, hurts me terribly, and I have tried to live a life that is dead to sin. This is the attitude we are talking about. It is now not all about me but rather all about Jesus. 

On 3/28/2004 at 2:41 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Arm yourself with the same attitude as Christ had means we must have a stake in His suffering by do away from sin and to live the rest of our for the Will of God. This attitude is a challenged and an adventure therefore, help keep us from sin again. The attitude we are talking about is the attitude of living for the Will of God and plans forever.

To keep “are yourselves with the same attitude” as Christ should keep us from sin because we will be trying to do the same things that Christ has done. We will not want any sin to enter our bodies because of what Christ suffered on the cross for us. We are talking about our spiritual attitude.

On 11/1/2004 at 11:50 AM, mollymadhat said:

This attitude of Christs' was self-sacrificing. He did not give in to selfish desires. 1 Peter 4:3 lists some of what these are. We humans are so prone to them in one form or another. Overeating is one of them.(I struggle with this one) and many others. I found it very interesting in verse 1 "because he who has suffered in his body is done with sin. v.3. As a RESULT he does not live the rest of his earthly life for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God." So by not giving in to sin, we are made stronger to resist sin. The attitude is self sacrifice. Give in to God's will and live your life with freedom!!!

Yes, He sacrificed Himself for us. Just a few words but the weight of it all is unfathomable. His attitude was one of love pure and simple, humility, and obedience. If I arm myself with this attitude, sin should flee. I would be obeying the word, remaining humble, and showing love. If I lined up any sin against those three and still proceeded then I am not arming myself. Take overeating which I also am guilty of from time to time, If I choose to engage in this behavior, how is this showing love for self? What am I sacrificing? How am I being obedient? Applying this for any sin, should help shine the spotlight and move me further and further away from it. 

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2004 at 6:41 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

=Q1. (4:1-2) When the scripture says "arm yourselves with the same attitude" as Christ had, how should this attitude help keep you from sin? What attitude are we talking about?

1. Peter is encouraging us to have the same attitude as Christ....that of "only doing what He saw and heard His Father doing" ...living His life to fully fulfil the purposes of His Father while here on earth. If I am focused on and tuned into the Holy Spirit's voice,  (walking in the Spirit), I am less likely to enter into or entertain the cravings of the flesh which lead to sin.

*My family is "at the Red Sea place again....shut in on all sides, pressed beyond what we believe we can endure, and I was telling the Lord several days ago that "I don't get it! I don't understand this! It's too much! I can't go through this again!" Then I said "What would you say to me this  morning?...I must hear from you!" I sat with my journal and pen and waited...then I "heard" I love you! Rest in ME, I AM at work on this.........and the point Is: to bring me glory!"   The tears started then and I "got it"....and said "That's what I really want for my entire life...to bring YOU glory!  I can go on now with courage knowing that the outcome will be for our good and your GLORY! I'm sorry I was whining! Thank you for encouraging me! You're a good, good Father!

Q1. (4:1-2) When the scripture says "arm yourselves with the same attitude" as Christ had, how should this attitude help keep you from sin? What attitude are we talking about?

1.  Remembering that Christ paid a price for us to be set free, we should be willing to suffer for a better life without sin.

2.  We should be like Jesus knowing that he suffered for us. We should be done with sin and have a mind to live for God just as Jesus did. He is our example that it can be done.