JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. The Spirit Upon

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God has a purpose in mind and chooses a person to fulfill that purpose.  He puts the Spirit of the LORD on that person to enable them with power to fulfill the purpose for which they are chosen.  The more obedient they are in doing what He tells them, the more authority they seem to receive.  He put His Spirit on Saul, and later, when Saul was disobedient, God removed the Spirit from him.  When God made that change, He already had in mind the son of Jesse, David.  In the Old Testament, it seemed that God chose people for specific purposes to affect great and important things, and the same in the New Testament times too, but it seems to me to be for the love and fellowship between us as well as to change us to be Holy as He is holy and walk with Him with pure hearts.  We are not all great leaders, but He desires to give us the Holy Spirit because of who He is.  I think our purpose unfolds as we grow in our relationship with Him.  David intimately experienced the presence of God and loved Him deeply.  I think those precious times of presence draws us to daily seek Him.  The pleasure of His contact and the delight of His thoughts toward us and His great wisdom are what we live for and look forward to every day.  It is by His Spirit that we follow Him.

Q1. (1 Samuel 16:13; Psalm 51:11)

Q. What is the primary purpose of God putting his Spirit upon selected individuals in the Old Testament?

A. To give them a special assignment

Q. What effect does the Spirit seem to have upon their relationship with God?

A. The Spirit empowers/ enable them to relate/ communicate with God and do powerful/ miraculous tasks

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2018 at 12:40 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (1 Samuel 16:13; Psalm 51:11) What is the primary purpose of God putting his Spirit upon selected individuals in the Old Testament? What effect does the Spirit seem to have upon their relationship with God?

In the OT, the primary purpose seems to be: to select, confirm and equip the individual for a certain office or task, usually quite an extraordinary one.

In some cases the effect of the Spirit coming upon the person is to make him closer to God; on some cases, he prophesies, or exerts extraordinary strength and bravery in battle.

Q1. (1 Samuel 16:13; Psalm 51:11) What is the primary purpose of God putting his Spirit upon selected individuals in the Old Testament?

In the Old Testament we see that certain people were anointed by the Holy Spirit in order to carry out a special task for the Lord,  in other words they were empowered  to serve the Lord. They became the vessels that God used to carry out His purposes. Even though we see that Bezalael was filled in order to carry out the work of the tabernacle, the primary groups of people on whom the anointing rested in the Old Testament were the kings, prophets and priests. Kings, including judges, were vessels used to defend, to protect and to deliver the people. Priests primarily ministered unto God in their temple services on behalf of the people and the prophets ministered to the people on behalf of God by being a mouth piece of God. Thankful that in the New Testament era, Holy Spirit is given to all individuals who have received Jesus as their personal Savior.

What effect does the Spirit seem to have upon their relationship with God?

In the Old Testament, when the Holy Spirit rested upon them, they had a closer, intimate walk with the Lord. The continued resting of the Holy Spirit upon their lives was dependent upon their continued obedience to the Holy Spirit. A blatant disobedience to the revealed will of God would result in the departure of the Holy Spirit (like Saul) and after which anything that they do would be in the energies of the flesh but not through the empowering work of the Holy Spirit. Again thankful to God that He would not take away His Holy Spirit from us because of our unfaithfulness but praying that God would help us not to the grieve the Holy Spirit who has taken up residence in our lives. 

On 7/23/2018 at 11:40 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (1 Samuel 16:13; Psalm 51:11) What is the primary purpose of God putting his Spirit upon selected individuals in the Old Testament? What effect does the Spirit seem to have upon their relationship with God?

The primary purpose of God putting His Spirit upon selected individuals in the OT is to empower them to do God's will. The Spirit makes them unique and able to lead. The relationship is a personal intimate one far beyond what others have.  They love God more than life itself. 

We see in Samuel 16 that God for uses Samuel to anoint David. We read in the scriptures that from the moment that he is anointed that a mighty power came upon him. He was now able to work with the Holy Spirit to do the Lord's bidding. Again in Psalm 51  we see David asking the Lord to not take your Holy Spirit away from him. David is aware that he would not be able to do anything unless the Holy Spirit empowers him to do it. 

• 3 weeks later...

What is the primary purpose of God putting His Spirit upon selected individuals in the Old Testament?

God putting His Spirit on selected individuals is to empower them and for Him to work through them.

The Spirit transforms the people's lives and causes them to have a closer relationship with God.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

What is the primary purpose of God putting his Spirit....   Well throughout the bible God had a way of picking and choosing certain people he found favorable, who were obedient to carry out his wishes.  The effect Spirit had upon their relation with God was that of a close bond. Like father and son, until they disobeyed the father

The Anointing of the Holy Spirit or the purpose of God putting His Spirit upon selected individuals in the Old Testament is to equip them to do specific work or service. 

Without His Spirit, we may not be able to function in His service effectively. His Spirit leads us, guides us, empowers us, corrects us, teaches us and draws us closer to God and His ways. Even when we fall down, the moment we call upon Him, Holy Spirit convicts us of our sins, confessing to God and setting right our walk with Him. Holy Spirit always makes feel presence of God so real and rich.

• 1 month later...

The primary purpose of God anointing (putting His Spirit on) someone in the Old Testament was to set them apart and empower them for a particular job, i.e., king, priest or prophet.  Being anointed with the Holy Spirit caused them to know and love God.  The anointing was the very presence of God.  David pleaded that God would not take His presence or Holy Spriit from him. 

• 1 month later...

God gave the holy spirit to only a few people in the old testament because so we can see that it is all ways their and it worked in people lives from the beginning. Not all people could have the holy Spirit in the beginning because Christ did not die on the cross yet. God gave it to saul but then God took it away. God took the holy Spirit away from saul because Saul was not a man of God yes sometimes he did act like it but he was not a good person at all. So the holy spirit could not live in him at all. The holy spirit could live in David because David had a heart for God even though He did bad things

• 5 months later...

Q1. (1 Samuel 16:13; Psalm 51:11) What is the primary purpose of God putting his Spirit upon selected individuals in the Old Testament?

It was placed upon individual for specific service. The Holy spirit also,empowered individuals to accomplish God’s a divine plan. We see this when the Holy Spirit anointed prophets to speak God’s Word, priests to intercede for the people and kings to lead Israel against the enemies of God.

The Old testament reveals that the Holy Spirit was a manifestation of God’s presence. When David confessed his sin, he pleaded with God:” cast me not away from you presence, and take not your Holy Spirit from me”

• 5 months later...

In the old testament, individuals were given the Holy Spirit as there Enabler or there Helper. Those were two of the functions of the Holy Spirit. Thus ordinary men and women were given supernatural abilities to carry out specific assignments mandated by God. We see in the case of Moses who had a problem with stuttering being requested to speak to Pharoah to release God's people. Gideon also felt that he was incapable of delivering the Israelites. With the Holy Spirit one is able to accomplish great feats for God.

With the Holy Spirit help the relationship with God is at an intimate level. It becomes richer and deeper. The desire to be obedient and faithful is heightened.

• 1 month later...

1, What is the primary purpose of God putting His Spirit upon selected individuals in the Old Testament?

• To empower His selected Children to perform His work according to His Will  (Psalm 90:17)
  • The Holy Spirit gave extraordinary powers to selected leaders. (Numbers 27:20)
  • The Holy Spirit guided the prophets and other selected people. (Ezekiel 36:27)

2.What effect does the Spirit seem to have upon their relationship with God?

• Their relationship with God is enhanced and grows as they are obedient to the Holy Spirit's bidding

(Psalm 25:5)

• The Holy Spirit inspired holiness and right living in believers. (Psalm 143:100)
  • The Holy Spirit fills Micah with power, justice and courage. (Micah 3:8)
  • The Holy Spirit gave divine strength to Jeremiah. (Jeremiah 1:18)

1, What is the primary purpose of God putting His Spirit upon selected individuals in the Old Testament?

• To empower His selected Children to perform His work according to His Will  (Psalm 90:17)
  • The Holy Spirit gave extraordinary powers to selected leaders. (Numbers 27:20)
  • The Holy Spirit guided the prophets and other selected people. (Ezekiel 36:27)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 12:40 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (1 Samuel 16:13; Psalm 51:11) What is the primary purpose of God putting his Spirit upon selected individuals in the Old Testament? The purpose of the God's Spirit being gifted to certain people was to empower them, and for them to do the will of God. For example, when God needed men to lead Israel to prosperity, He anointed Saul and David with His Spirit so that they can closely follow the prompting of God's Spirit, to lead Israel to prosperity.  

What effect does the Spirit seem to have upon their relationship with God? It's my understanding that the Spirit creates a close relationship God, which helps the anointed persons to not only obey His will, but also to love Him with all their heart. The Spirit of God brings us that much closer to the Heavenly Father, and it's this co-dependant relationship that allows for the anointed persons to diligently seek His commands and carry out the desires of God Almighty.

• 3 months later...

What is the primary purpose of God putting his Spirit upon selected individuals in the Old Testament?

The purpose of the Holy Spirit was to prove to the individual that Our Father is who He says He is. To prove to others that the individual was Fathers chosen one, to serve Him, to do His will. To give the individual great power, protection, joy, strength, boldness, and the will to obey. To recognise their sins and to repent. To give them boldness of speech and action, to increase their faith. To give peace and comfort. To show them God's deep secrets through visions and dreams, to become prophets. To give the individual spiritual gifts.

The spirit increased their faith. Enabling them to have an intimate relationship with Father, to truly praise and worship Him for who He is. The Holy Spirit gave them the will and desire to want to please Father, by obeying His commands, and it is The Holy Spirit that gives them the strength to do so.

Love and Blessings to you all. Xx

• 7 months later...

1.God's purpose of putting His spirit on sekected individuals 

Whenever God wanted to convey message to His people He would  annoint an individual  eg Prophet  to reveal Himself through them eitger to give a warning or instructions

What effect does Spirit seem to have upon their relationship with God

The relationship is strengthned Eg David always inquired of the Kord whenever seeking advise abd he knew whatever God telks him will make him conquer 

• 4 weeks later...

The primary purpose of God putting his spirit upoy selected individual in the old testament is to EMPOWER  them for a particular task. Also it is for a specific and special service design, arrange and approve by God.

The effect the spirit seem to have on the carrier upon relating  with God is of two sides. Firstly. If he obeys and has a cordial, intimate relationship with God, he shall be lead by the God's spirit to do God's desire work. Secondly. If he sinned, the spirit leaves him and he shall be casted away from God's presence and the holy spirit be taken away from him

The primary purpose of God putting his spirit upoy selected individual in the old testament is to EMPOWER  them for a particular task. Also it is for a specific and special service design, arrange and approve by God.

The effect the spirit seem to have on the carrier upon relating  with God is of two sides. Firstly. If he obeys and has a cordial, intimate relationship with God, he shall be lead by the God's spirit to do God's desire work. Secondly. If he sinned, the spirit leaves him and he shall be casted away from God's presence and the holy spirit be taken away from him

• 1 month later...

What is the primary purpose of God putting his Spirit upon selected individuals in the Old Testament? What effect does the Spirit seem to have upon their relationship with God?

I'm not certain we know God's purpose in giving his Holy Spirit to certain individuals. We only know the consequences or results of this gift, that the chosen people were empowered to perform a certain assignment He had given them. But God's purpose in choosing a particular person ... I'm not sure. It's His purpose. He seems to hold the reasons for His actions close to Himself.

We do know something of the effects of receiving the Holy Spirit -- power and the ability to hear God's voice, to know what He wants that individual to do. It seems that life is more clear after the anointing with the Holy Spirit. More focused. They are able to do their assignments.

Does God withdraw His spirit when the person is done with his task?  Does a prophet only prophecy for a season? What happened to the artist who designed and created the stuff in the temple -- when he was done, did the Holy Spirit leave him? I'm wondering about the persistence of the presence of the Holy Spirit. Obviously, in cases like Saul, the spirit can be withdrawn, but in most of these other men's life, the spirit wasn't withdrawn because of any sin or sinful attitude ... but was it withdrawn because the task was completed?

I pray, Lord, for your anointing.  I ask that you send to me a Samuel who will pray with me, anoint me, and infuse me with your Holy Spirit. I ask for an assignment. I ask to be led clearly, to be obedient to that voice, and to hear your audible, unambiguous commands. I ask to be transformed, to be a different person than I am now. I ask, too, to be one of those special people called to service, a woman who needs your Holy Spirit to perform your assignment. Send someone with a flask, Lord, to anoint me. Make your will clear and known. Guide my every step.

Amen

• 1 month later...