JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Giving an Account

3. (4:5-7) Why don't non-Christians like the idea of giving an account of their actions?

Because they don't like facing the truth about their lives and knowing that they are living in sin. They don't like the feeling of conviction.

Why don't we Christians like it?

Sometimes we as Christians feel like we are okay because we are saved until we have to give an account for our actions then we realize that we are not what we should be either and that makes us feel and look bad so we just try to hide our actions.

What should the realization that we must give an account of our actions inspire in us?

This should inspire in us the mind of Christ so that we would try to live our lives with the same attitude of Christ.

With what attitude should we live as a result?

The attitude of Christ where we are dead from sin and our goal is to please the Father by showing the same love and forgiveness to others that Christ showed to us.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (4:5-7)

Why don't non-Christians like the idea of giving an account of their actions?

What should the realization that we must give an account of our actions inspire in us?

Non-Christians do not want to be disciplined by a judgmental God, they are self-centred and want their so called freedom to do what they like. We as Christians do not mind for we know we have received forgiveness for our sins. I would think the thought of standing before God and giving an account of our actions must be a most daunting prospect. The realization of this should change our whole attitude to sin. It should help us try to live a sinless life, dedicated to our Lord and Saviour.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Q3. (4:5-7) Why don't non-Christians like the idea of giving an account of their actions?

Because they know in their hearts they'll be judged guilty. The fool says in his heart there is no god. What a lot of people do is convince themselves the good they've done will outweigh the bad and they'll be accepted into Heaven. A former friend of mine believed that with all his heart. He rejected the Gospel I tried many times to present to him, insisting that he'd stand or fall on his good works. It was only after our friendship dissolved that it became known that he was an incestuous paedophile!! I'd love to see how many good works he thought he'd done to outweigh his molesting his own daughter!!

Because we fail so often to live up to Christ's standards. The devil plants all sorts of doubts in our minds that we're not gonna make the cut.

It should inspire us to live upright lives at all times. If we do sin we have an advocate, Jesus Christ who is seated at the right hand of the Father and intercedes for us. If we confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

We should have the attitude that the world is watching us and we should be setting an example to everyone of a Christ-like way of life. We should live each day as if Jesus was about to return, not as if we're sure he'll be back in another hundred years or more.

• 6 months later...

Non-Christians do not like the idea of giving an account of their actions because it allows them to live the lie that they can engage in andy form of behaviour without having to think about the possible consequences.

We Christians don't like the idea of giving an account because it reinforces the guilt we feel about our actions, things perhaps we would forget about with ease in the absence of judgement.

This realization should inspire in us a holy life; one is above reproach so that we can hear from God "Well Done!"

Our attitude should be that of a stubborn resolve to live for God by the commands He has set before us.

• 8 months later...

a)Non-christians don’t like giving account,the’re ashamed,conscious ofsin.Don’ want reminding of it.They may not respond to earthly authorities, so not to an unseen God. They will respond out of anger,rebellion from God,& will have doubts of a life beyond death.

B)Giving an account of our actions whether non-Christians or not, means we are faced with the wrong we have done.We all like to be our own boss&think we know what is best for us.We need to apologise to others when failed,saying this is poor representation of Christ living.

C)Being faced with our sin, should inspire us to repent humbly,and turn to more Godly behaviours.Being close to Jesus,reading bible,going to Him as soon as realised have failed,attitude of a sinner saved only by grace, and keeping in tune with Spirit’s leading.

• 2 years later...

Q3. (4:5-7) Why don't non-Christians like the idea of giving an account of their actions? Why don't we Christians like it? What should the realization that we must give an account of our actions inspire in us? With what attitude should we live as a result?

Non Christians don't like the idea of giving an account of their actions, because they believe it is no one's business what they do. They do not believe Christ is coming back to judge and if he did they feel he will love them and let them off for their offenses. Many do not believe in God and if he existed why is the world in the shape it is in.

We Christians don't like giving an account of our actions because even though we are forgiven, all sins will be revealed and we are afraid we may not get a reward in heaven.

Because of the realization of giving accounts for our sin we should stop all sins, it should be done away with in our lives. Christ dying for our sins should be enough to convince us to stop sinning.

Our attitude towards sin should be that we are free from sin and it's hold on us. We should live as Christ did, a holy life if possible. We must be self controlled and have a clear mind, by doing this we can pray to the Lord without Satan's condemning us in our conscience mind, which will interfere with our prayer life.  

• 6 months later...

Why don't non-Christians like the idea of giving an account of their actions?  Like it or not, unbelievers will indeed stand accountable for their works and works alone will never save us.  Those who are not saved WILL pay for their own sins for all eternity and that fate is unimaginable.  So, why don’t they like the idea?  In Revelation 20:12 John tells us that that the unbeliever “will be judged according to their works and in 20:15 he expounds on that when he says, “Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.” Not a pleasant picture to be sure so in that light it would stand to reason that they wouldn’t like the idea of that final accounting of themselves so in life they do everything in their human power to suppress that truth.

Why don't we Christians like it?  I can’t speak for other Christians but I personally know and understand that, when my time comes, I won't be judged by human standards but by what Jesus expected out of me during my time on this planet.  I know that I will be rewarded according to what I did or did not do for His glory.  If my works are judged to be for my own glory rather than for the glory of God they are of absolutely no value and I will have absolutely nothing to show for my time in this body.  “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” (1 John 1:9)  The thing that worries me the most is that even though (verse above) I can be forgiven for the things that I’ve done, I will also be judged by what I have not done and that (to me) is an unknown that I’ll have to account for when I’m called.

What should the realization that we must give an account of our actions inspire in us?  Jesus said, “From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.”  (Luke 12:48)  I’ve heard God’s word and I know that if I continue to sin I will be more accountable than an unbeliever because I knew what was required and didn’t do it.  If I’m unfaithful and continue in my sinful ways on earth, how can God possibly expect faithfulness from me in His Kingdom?  Luke says “to whom much was given, much will be expected and even more demanded.”  Knowing that I will ultimately face judgment is all the inspiration I need to live as righteously as I possibly can.  Matthew Henry said that “We should be zealous in making known the truth, for though divisions will be stirred up, and a man's own household may be his foes, yet sinners will be converted, and God will be glorified.”  Judgement inspires me to do everything in my power to glorify God rather than myself.  God Himself is being judged by my actions and/or inaction and I must be aware of that so that I will always speak and act accordingly.

With what attitude should we live as a result?  “Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ.” (Philippians 1:27).  I won’t even make an attempt to improve Paul’s words.

• 6 months later...

We don’t want to be “exposed”, and to have to reconcile our behaviour before a Holy God. The whole concept of sin is repugnant to mankind. To be “discovered”, and to be told that we are sinners, makes us angry.  We say “why did you have to tell me that”? I was happy in my sin – but now you have made me guilty! 

Rom_3:20  For by works of the law no human being will be justified in his sight, since through the law comes knowledge of sin.

However, to be brought to the realisation that we are sinners, and to discover the need for repentance, is actually a great blessing.  Repentance is a gift from God.

Act_11:18  When they heard these things they fell silent. And they glorified God, saying, "Then to the Gentiles also God has granted repentance that leads to life."

The realisation that we must give an account to God for our actions provides an opportunity to seek reconciliation here and now (in this life) before it is too late.

2Pe_3:9  The Lord is not slow to fulfil his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.  

We should live in humility – walk humbly with our God, being clear minded, well balanced and self-controlled. This may attract others to want to follow Christ and give them no valid ground for criticism.

• 5 months later...

Q3. (4:5-7) Why don't non-Christians like the idea of giving an account of their actions? Why don't we Christians like it? What should the realization that we must give an account of our actions inspire in us? With what attitude should we live as a result?

----Fear,rejection,guilt,accountability.
---we live in guilt, we grieve the Spirit in us.
---Because we are children of God,and because Jesus gave His life for us on a cross.
--We should inspire in us to live Holy lives.
---Being obedient to God's word.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/28/2004 at 2:43 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Non Christians don't like the idea of giving an account because it is not a popular topic. Christians like it because it part of the gospel of Jesus Christ. The realization that we must give an account of our actions inspired in us to warning of the judgment and the consequences. As Christians, we should have the attitude that please God such as life of clear mind and self-control.

(4:5-7) Why don't non-Christians like the idea of giving an account of their actions? Why don't we Christians like it? What should the realization that we must give an account of our actions inspire in us? With what attitude should we live as a result?

Non-Christians don't like the idea of giving an account of their actions because they don't feel that they have to be accountable to anyone.  We Christians feel that we are being sneaky and no one knows what we have done except God and he will forgive us.  The fact that we must give an account of our actions should inspire us to live a life pleasing to God. I truly believe in the old saying "what's done in the dark will come to the light".  Our attitude should be one of alertness.  Always be on guard of what you do or say.  One day judgement will come.

On 3/31/2004 at 9:45 AM, lightbuilder said:

Most likely for the same reason Christians struggle with "accountability" (see below) :unsure:

Typically it is the emotions that arise from reason and imagination that motivate our behavior. We "feel" the embarrassment and the "unpleasant sensation" of humiliation and all of the other emotions associated with imagining ourselves confessing our deepest darkest sins and fears to the very people we have represented ourselves to as "fine and dandy" and "blessed of the Lord" Sunday after Sunday. :(

Logically, we should be inspired to pursue accountability in the present, knowing that it will inevitably be thrust upon us. However we tend to be motivated in the moment by that which is most pressing, and the difficulty imagined in facing ones peers with an intimate confession is often far more "real" to us in the moment than the knowledge that we will be held accountable before God when the number of our days is fullfilled. :ph34r:

It's been said that maturing spiritually is supplanting lies with the truth. We all must be willing to continually challenge our "vain" (profitless) imagination in obedience to The Word: "Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;" (2Cr 10:5).

Phl 2:5-8 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

E.g. Christ humbled himself and became the servant of ALL, being empowered by the knowledge of the Glory that awaited him in heaven.

Conclusion: Our attitude (the direction we lean in our minds) must be tempered by a constant awareness and continual remembering of the glory of our calling, Eternal Life with Christ, so that we may be filled with His perfect love (...perfect love casteth out fear: 1Jo.4:18) and "supplant" the lie that confronting our fears and imaginings in the moment is to much for us to bear.

2Cr 4:17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding [and] eternal weight of glory;

Well written and I couldn't agree more! Humans don't like to be held accountable for anything. It embarrasses us and makes us feel like we dropped the ball, when at times, we have and need to be called on it. It makes PRIDE rise up in us when we should be exhibiting HUMILITY. To combat this, we need to be mindful and alert, confessing our sins one to another.

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2004 at 6:43 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

1. Every man and woman has been given a conscience and knows right from wrong even though they don't know the Lord. Giving an account for wrong actions involves admitting that the conscience has been violated, and guilty feelings are exposed. Pride does not ever want to admit to making mistakes or to wrong doing or sinful actions.

2. Pride, again is the reason. God hates pride! ...it keeps us separated from His cleansing and forgiveness...keeps us from admitting and repenting for our sin and restored relationships. Prov. 6:16: "Six things the Lord hates...seven are an abomination to Him: Pride: that overestimates oneself and underestimates others, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that manufactures wicked thoughts and plans, feet that are swift running to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies even under oath, and He who sows discord among His brethren."

3. Realizing we must give an account should inspire us to think before we act in a rash way. He always gives us a way of escape from sin, if we will turn to Him for assistance to resist what we are being tempted to do. I Corinthians 10:13:" No temptation has overtaken you, such as is common to man, but with the temptation He will provide a way of escape."

4. Our attitude should be that of Jesus..to live in dependence upon Him, as He lived in dependence upon His Father. Also, the desire to bring Him honor and glory should put a "wet blanket" on the temptation to sin.

Non-Christians do not want to be disciplined by a judgmental God, they are self-centred and want their so called freedom to do what they like. We as Christians do not mind for we know we have received forgiveness for our sins. I would think the thought of standing before God and giving an account of our actions must be a most daunting prospect. The realization of this should change our whole attitude to sin. It should help us try to live a sinless life, dedicated to our Lord and Saviour. 

I think that non-Christians don’t like the idea of giving an account of their actions because they are embarrassed of what they have done. We Christians don’t like it because we are also embarrassed of what we have done and we know that Christ would not approve of some the things that we have done. The realization that we must give an account of our actions usually makes us think twice before we do something stupid. We should live with that attitude that we will have to give an account for our actions.

Non-Christians do not see that what they are doing is wrong.  They live in a world full of strife, evil and viciousness. They do not know God.  They feel tha they do not have to give an account of their actions.

Christians do not like giving an account of their actions because they are afraid of retaliation and labelling. They feel that they should give an account of their actions only to God.

If we know that we have to account for what we do, we would ensure that what we do is what God wants us to do.

We should live with the attitude that we, as Christians, are children og God and must live by His commandments.

1. People want a God who will love and forgive them when they feel guilty, but resist a God that has rules and who is "judgmental."

2. Judgment is an essential part of the Gospel of Jesus Christ -- not a peripheral issue that can be ignored or glossed over.

3. We should be clear minded and have self control so that we can pray.It should inspire us to watch and be ready.  

4. We must have an attitude of expectation, rather than fall into the error that Christ isn't coming after all, or if he is, not any time soon. We must keep watch, because we do not know on what day your Lord will come." (Matthew 24:42)

Non-Christians want to indulge in the worldly passions without restraint. They are simple minded and live for today as they say. Not giving a thought to what the future holds for them. They live by the saying "if it feels good do it".  Christians on the other hand don't like others to point out their faults and/or weaknesses. Some might even use the "I'm not perfect" line, or that we are under grace, and so God will forgive me. Some are still struggling with pride, or a sin that hasn't been dealt with(surrendered to God). But the bible tells us that we should all be accountable for our actions, both to God and to others. This should inspire us to walk righteously, justly, and with integrity. Knowing that one day we all will be before God's throne to give an answer to everything we did on earth, whether good or bad. Also, People are watching our every move. What does our walk say about us? Will it bring someone to Jesus or will it make others reject Him?

Non-Christians don’t want to feel judged, particularly if they consider themselves “good persons.”  As Christians we don’t like feelings of guilt and regret. Realization of judgment and accountability should inspire us to have a Christlike attitude of service. Also, we should live with a spirit of gratitude to have eternal life, not because we deserve it, but because Christ didn’t, but He gave His life for us.

On 3/28/2004 at 2:43 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Non Christians don't like the idea of giving an account because it is not a popular topic. Christians like it because it part of the gospel of Jesus Christ. The realization that we must give an account of our actions inspired in us to warning of the judgment and the consequences. As Christians, we should have the attitude that please God such as life of clear mind and self-control.

They take it as our judgment against them.  We don't particularly like it either--not easy to see those things we've done that don't bring glory to God.  We should be inspired to completely obey God--be in the Word daily.

An attitude of expectation of Jesus' return!!  Let that truth be reflected in each decision & each word & thought we have.

Non-Christians don't like the idea of judgement because of the consequences!

Christians do not like the idea of judgement because they often do not quite understand that Christians are Judges only upon the depth of the rewards that they will receive.

Christian judgement is only relevant to the rewards that are available in the kingdom of God. Because Christ has interceded for us and throwing his blanket of righteousness over us we should be inspired to participate fully in the kingdom of God and his righteousness as we live our lives in Christ.

we should just live our lives in love of each other greatly because our love covers a multitude of sins.

On 3/27/2004 at 9:43 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Non-Christians do not like the idea of giving an account for their actions because they want a god to love them and not be judgemental of their actions. They hate feeling guilty and think they can get away with their sins. They do not like a god who has rules and is judgemental.

We Christians do not like being judged because the Lord will judge us according to our actions, for we should try to be holy as Christ was holy.  

Knowing that Christ paid for our sins with his life should inspire us to live a life of righteousness. We should try to be holy as Christ was holy.

We should live a life as Christ died for us, following him and doing his will.     

• 2 weeks later...

Q. Why don't non-Christians like the idea of giving an account of their actions?

A. Because that will expose their iniquities

Q. Why don't we Christians like it?

A. Due to fear of the consequences of judgment that will follow after being declared guilty

Q. What should the realization that we must give an account of our actions inspire in us?

A. Should inspire us to repent and live righteous lives and be ever ready when the Lord comes to judge and reward us.

Q. With what attitude should we live as a result?

A. In righteousness and readiness for the Lord