JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Wealth and God's Blessing

Q#1= MATERIAL WEALTH CAN TRULY BE A BLESSING OF GOD, BUT IS NOT ALWAYS. GOD BLESSES IN MANY WAYS. MATERIALLY, PHSICALLY AND SPIRITUALLY. ALL THREE CAN BE OPERATIONAL IN A PERSONS LIFE AT THE SAME TIME OR NOT. IT IS TOTALLY UP TO THE LORD. HE DEALS WITH EACH ONE OF US ON A PERSONAL BASIS. IF I AM LACKING IN ANY OF THESE AREAS OF MY LIFE DOES NOT MEAN THAT I AM NOT BLESSED OF GOD OR THAT I HAVE SIN IN MY LIFE. THE WONDERFUL FACT THAT I HAVE A VERY PERSONAL AND INTIMATE RELATIONSHIP WITH HIM IS THE BIGGEST BLESSING I COULD HAVE.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Material wealth doesn't always reflect God's blessing. There are many wealthy people who do not serve God.

In the same way,physical poverty doesn't always reflect God's curse. Jesus was poor. He didn't even have a home to call His own.

One can be poor moneywise yet rich in other ways, friends, health,etc.

Q1. (13:2) Does Abraham's material wealth reflect God's blessing on him? Even though material wealth isn't always a blessing from God, in this case I think it is. It is just another way for God to show Abraham how God can, and is, blessing him.

Does material wealth always reflect God's blessing. No, material wealth doesn't always reflect God's blessings.

Does physical poverty always reflect God's curse? No, pahysical poverty doesn't always reflect God's curse on anyone.

Q1. (13:2) Does Abraham's material wealth reflect God's blessing on him? Even though material wealth isn't always a blessing from God, in this case I think it is. It is just another way for God to show Abraham how God can, and is, blessing him.

Does material wealth always reflect God's blessing. No, material wealth doesn't always reflect God's blessings.

Does physical poverty always reflect God's curse? No, physical poverty doesn't always reflect God's curse on anyone.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes it does. Wealth does not always reflect God's blessing. Physical poverty doesn't always reflect God's curse. God blesses those who obey Him. He also lets us go through trials (be it material or physical poverty) to strengthen and perfect us. The key is to keep focused on Him ALWAYS.

• 4 weeks later...

Abraham was blessed by God in many ways,material wealth and physical health.Abraham new how to take care of his wealth and he new what he had received came from God.He traded his goods for other goods and services.I believe we must learn to take care of our blessings from God.If we do not take care of what we have why do we think we should receive more.Some of us are blessed more than others but that does not mean God loves us any diffrent or less.There are people who do not serve God but yet they are wealthy.I have heard people say I do not understand why I have to struggle to pay bills and Pete over there has everything.I do not believe physical poverty is a curse from God.There are a lot of Christians who love and serve God but they are not wealthy.Wealth is not everything.We are blessed with good health,happiness,food to eat and so on.How we use our blessings is something to think about.Through our blessings from God we can bless others more in need"share"what we have if it be material things or just comfort someone who is hurting.

"God told Abraham He would bless him.

"REMEMBER COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS<>YOU MAY NOT REALIZE HOW MANY YOU DO HAVE" BLESSINGS LINDA

Q1. (13:2) Does Abraham's material wealth reflect God's blessing on him? Does material wealth always reflect God's blessing? Does physical poverty always reflect God's curse?

GOD BLESS ABRAHAM BECAUSE OF HIS OBEDIENCE AND GOD WILL BLESS US TO IF WE OBEY HIM .MATERIAL WEALTH DOES NOT ALWAYS REFLECT GODS BLESSING BECAUSE THE BIBLE SAY GOD REIGN ON THE JUST AND THE UNJUST PHYSICAL POVERTY DOES NOT ALWAYS REFLECT GODS CURSE .BECAUSE YOU CAN BE INPOVERTY AND STILL BE WEALTHY WITH PIECE OF MIND, GOOD HEALTH, BLESSINGS CAN COME IN MANY DIFFERENT WAYS.

I believe its a matter of perception. At the time of this writing, i'm in deep financial probs. if my family can't come out with certain amount of money in a few months time, I have to drop out of med school. My cry to God is to bless me in this respect. But there was a time when money was no problem to me...but there was no daily cry to God and my spiritual life was down the drain.

Material wealth can be curse or a blessing...but this much can be certain...everything and anything, be it wealth or poverty; if it comes from the loving hand of our Father..it is a blessing!! Hallelujah

• 3 weeks later...

Q1. I believe that God have so many different ways of blessing people which it not easy to explain in what ways. God have given Abraham a lot of things that Abraham never had before.

Q2. no, not all material wealth. It could be blessing or curse (it depends how material wealth is)

Q3. No.

• 4 weeks later...

Q1. (13:2) Does Abraham's material wealth reflect God's blessing on him? Does material wealth always reflect God's blessing? Does physical poverty always reflect God's curse?

In this case I do believe that Abraham's wealth was a relection of God's blessing.

I don't believe material wealth does represent God's blessing in all cases because of the life style of many wealthy people, actors, singers etc. . Many of these people live ungodly lives and even seek false gods for guidance.

Jesus said it was harder for a rich man to go through the eye of a needle than enter the kingdom of God. Does that sound like a blessing? But He also said , give and it shall be given unto you pressed down and running over. Paul said that he knew how to be in need and how to abound, but the secret was godliness with content. The blessing is contentment . I feel extremely blessed when I am content. I would like not to have to be concerned about money but I also would not want to be far from God becasuse of my material wealth took my attention away from the Lord.

Lesson 3 Q1:

(a) Abraham's material wealth do reflect God's blessing on him. why? To demonstrate God's blessing on Abraham in response to God's promise in 12:2 -3.

(B) Do material wealth always reflect God's blessing: No, not everyone that is material wealthy live their lives for God, some do not even believe in God. Some are material wealthy through deceit, living their lives for satan, this will last only for a season but God's blessings will be forever.

© Do physical poverty always reflect God's curse: No, not everyone is rich in material wealth, but they are rich with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Being rich this way may not seem like much to the world but to the individual it is a great blessing from God and material things do not matter. Take the world and give me Jesus!...Amen!

• 3 months later...

God certainly promised to bless Abraham. The material wealth may have been a blessing. But even more important was the spiritual wealth Abraham had gained.

Material wealth does not always reflect God's blessing. In fact, at times it could be considered detrimental to becoming spiritual wealthy even to the point of being denied eternal life. Such is the case with the rich young ruler in Matthew 19:16-26 where in verse 24, Jesus says "And again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

Contrast this with the poverty of those of the churches in Macedonia that Paul writes about in 2 Corinthians 8. Paul writes, "1 Moreover brethren, we make known to you the grace of God bestowed on the churches of Macedonia: 2 that in a great trial of affliction the abundance of their joy and their deep poverty abounded in the riches of their liberality. 3 For I bear witness that according to their ability, yes, and beyond their ability, they were freely willing, 4 imploring us with much urgency that we would receive the gift and the fellowship of the ministering to the saints."

This was a group of believers who were made rich in the grace of God even though they were poor in material wealth. They knew what storing up treasure in heaven meant.

I do not believe that material wealth is God's blessing. Many people are wealthty through deviousness, or crooked ways. IN Abraham's case, God did promise him that H ewould bless him, so in this sense Abraham's wealth was a result of God's blessing. God blesses us in many ways, but sometimes we tend to equate God's blessing materially

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It was a blessing but only because of his obedience in following God's commmandments. We are all blessed with things we did not ask for due to our love and worship of God as the head of our lives. Poverty doesn't reflect God's curses anymore than wealth is an indicaton of being within God's will. Many people who claim not to believe in God appear blessed with material wealth and by the worlds standard that is a blessing but God has said that man is cursed and for a season all may seem well but there are paydays for everthing we do or don't do in obedience to God. Sometimes we don't have as much as the next person due to God's love he knows if material wealth would cause us to love the gifts more than the giver and he will not give us anything that draws us away from him. Some christians have much but not all of it is from God, God will not force his will and sometimes we get things, go into debt expecting God to supple all we need to meet that debt when if we had listened his answer was no or wait awhile. Sometimes we have to work harder more overtime effecting our time with God to meet things we got on our own and still remain blinded to the fact that it is not what God intended.

• 3 weeks later...

As I studied last week's lesson, I was awed by how often God had to go and save Abraham from himself, as well as from others...that abundant grace again...that fulfilling of a promise, and I know that even more is yet to come. I also thought back to how God was so pleased that Solomon asked for wisdom instead of material gifts, that He gave Solomon everything.

Material wealth is not a blessing for many. And neither is poverty a curse. I just read a devotional this morning about how some of us still worry that we aren't going to receive enough. I believe that to be a great sin, and one that I have to fight against. I have learned over many years that when I worry about money and decide to give God's tenth to my earthly creditors, that's when I really get into trouble and actually don't have enough. So I continue in my later years to rely on God to give me what I need--even though He has to bale me out of precarious bookkeeping at the end of some months. :P

Jesus is the best example I can think of as a person who lived in poverty and yet never wanted.

• 1 month later...

I feel that it is one type of his blessings....Abrahma was honored and blessed in so many ways....I don't believe that wealth always reflects Gods blessings....come on now, how many people do we know that are wealthy and don't have God in there life....I also believe that God will take wealth away also when he sees fit.....many times i have witnessed people wealth but don't do God's will and have watched there money be taken from them.....through all kinds of avenues and ways....Physical poverty to me doesn't represent a curse by God.....i know all kinds of people who are poor financially and wealth beyond all measure in other areas... I don't have a lot of money and have been that way all my life.. my family has money...but money has never been my things....since i have allowed God into my heart and my life i am richer today than i have ever been.....I wouldn't ever put validation on money to say were i am at with God.....God giveth and God taketh away.....

• 7 months later...

Abraham's wealth abecame a blessing to him because of his obedience and he was totally dependent on t he Lord regaradless of his many posssesions. Many obtain wealth in selfish rreasons or corrrupt practices a nd many inherit musch money. Sripture tells us the poor w e have with us always, Putting money a s your idol can bring poverty as poor disobedience and not being a good steard of what has given you.

• 3 months later...

God supplies us with our needs. When we are inline with Him, and His plan for us, which is part of the piece of the puzzle for His plan for mankind, He provides what is needed to accomplish our calling. In Abraham's case it would seem that in order for him to do what El Elyon had promised him he would have to be well entrenched with the power and authority that material wealth brings. So, in Abraham's case, wealth would have been part of his blessing.

Neither wealth or poverty should always be attributed to God. What we are is by our choice. We are either the children of God or the children of the Adversary. God intiates, Satan duplicates. When we choose to follow the Almighty, He always will turn what seems to be the worst of situations into a blessing. That includes poverty. As for Satan, look toward those who we idolize, Hollywood, athletes, the rich and famous, and determine for yourself as to whether they are blessed or cursed for all of their wealth. Look at the addict or drunk. Who chose to take the first hit on the crack pipe or bring on the first binge? Was it God or did we allow the enemy to gain a stronghold in our soul?

• 3 months later...

Material wealth can be a blessing if used to God's glory. Material wealth does not always reflect God's blessing just as physical poverty does not always reflect God's curse.

We must accept whatever God's allows in our lives and use it to His glory. Then whatever happens will become a blessing. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Abraham's material wealth can be a reflection of God's blessing. This is not always so. Material welath or poverty cannot be generalized in that way.

Material wealth can reflect God's blessing but it can also reflect God's curse in that it forces us to make sure that we put God first in our lives and not put importance on wealth, thus drawing us away from God. We tend to be closer to God, talk to Him more, build a closer relationship with Him when there is less comfort in our lives.

• 4 months later...

In Abraham's case I think his wealth was a blessing from God. But you can't judge everyone by that. Only God knows a man's heart. I think God blesses those that serve him in many different ways. No one has it all, if we did what would be the point of going to heaven. We each have our burdens and heartaches but they aren't curses. It's the result of living in a sinful world.

Most of the time we think of a "blessing" as wealth and fortune, but we have to realise that blessings are also our brothers and sisters at church praying for us, our family and people around us; everything around us is a blessing from God, what would we do without him? where would we be if it wasn't for him dying in the cross for our sins? i pray to God to open the sky and blessings would flow like a river on all of you that post and read here. May God bless you all !!! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (13:2) Does Abraham's material wealth reflect God's blessing on him?

Most certainly. Abraham's material wealth does reflect God's blessing on him. God made a promise to Abraham that He will bless him and He did. Abraham was blessed with livestock, with silver and gold.

Does material wealth always reflect God's blessing?

No, material wealth does not always reflect God

• 1 month later...

Gods blessing folows us always - wthether we are rich or not

Paul says - I have learnt to be content - in whatsoever way I am

Material wealth is a symbol of Gods blessing . But it could be a curse if we replace our priorities away from God and towards the wealth - Where your treasure is , there will be your heart

• 3 months later...

The scripture tells us that Abraham's wealth was a blessing from God. Material wealth is a blessing from God depending upon the mission God has for each person in this world. However, God may purpose other people for assignments/calls in this world where material wealth isn't required or desired. Material wealth can be curse for some. Where material poverty can be a blessing.

The bottomline is, material wealth doesn't always reflect God's blessing. Look at the life of John the Baptist, Jesus Christ, and Paul -- read Hebrews 11.

Additionally, materialism is only one dimension of a person's life. Total blessings and prosperity from God affect the total quality of life of a person.

Physical poverty can reflect God's curse in some cases. Poverty has many causes and purposes. Not all proverty is bad.