JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Wealth and God's Blessing

Q1. (13:2) Does Abraham's material wealth reflect God's blessing on him? Does material wealth always reflect God's blessing? Does physical poverty always reflect God's curse?

Yes, Abraham's material wealth reflected God's blessing on him because they were in a famine and God promised to bless Abraham. Material wealth does not always reflect God's blessing. Physical poverty does not always reflect God's curse.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (13:2) Does Abraham's material wealth reflect God's blessing on him? Does material wealth always reflect God's blessing. Does physical poverty always reflect God's curse?

God desires, above all things, for all His children to prosper and to be in health.

We are to seek the Kingdom of God first and all things will be added unto us.

Prosperity and wealth can be obtained honestly or dishonesty - ethically or unethically. Far too many are quick to judge those who are prosperous and successful. It is quite sad that there are a lot of wonderful, successful Christians who are being unfairly judged and condemned because of the blessings they have received from God. They work hard, apply effective principles, expect God

• 4 weeks later...
Q1. (13:2) Does Abraham's material wealth reflect God's blessing on him? Does material wealth always reflect God's blessing? Does physical poverty always reflect God's curse?

abraham's material wealth does reflect God's wonderful blessings upon abraham God's blessings comes in many different ways .If God so loved this world to give us his only son ,do you mean that he will curse us. Physical poverty is only God trying to show us that God wants us to turn to Him for his love and mercy

• 4 months later...

Q1. (13:2) Does Abraham's material wealth reflect God's blessing on him? Partly... God promised Abraham many blessing, material wealth was just one.

Does material wealth always reflect God's blessing? I don't think always. There are many who have so much, but are so far from God's will. I think material wealth can sometimes be a curse because as with the story in the Bible, some have a difficult time letting go, in order to serve God.

Does physical poverty always reflect God's curse? No...I think physical poverty can sometimes be a test

• 3 months later...

God chooses how \he will bless us. God blesses us in material things as well as health. Physical poverty doesn't reflect God's curse because Jesus was not rich

God chooses how \he will bless us. God blesses us in material things as well as health. Physical poverty doesn't reflect God's curse because Jesus was not rich

• 4 months later...

Yes, I think that it is clear from the text of various passages concerning Abraham's life that the material wealth which he accumulated was a blessing sent from God. It is true that the wealth which he accumulated whilst in Egypt was due directly to the fact that Pharaoh had taken Sarah into his house when he believed Abraham to be Sarah's brother. However, when Pharaoh found out the truth, it was likely without God's intervention that he would at best have stripped Abraham of all his wealth gained under false pretenses, or at worst killed Abraham and Sarah and taken away all the possessions. God intervened and Abraham was sent from Egypt with his wealth intact, which I think was a part of God's blessing on him.

"Does material wealth always reflect God's blessing and does physical poverty always reflect God's curse?" To rule almost anything out where God is concerned is impossible. There are therefore occasions when God gives His blessing to someone in the form of material wealth and, I believe could punish someone in the form of poverty. However, I believe this to be the exception rather than the rule and that in most cases the possession or lack of possession of material wealth is neither a blessing nor a curse in just the same way that neither good health nor sickness can be seen as a blessing nor a curse. Other posters have mention Paul. He knew both wealth and poverty and he knew both good health and sickness. In this case, I think that none of this reflected either a blessing or a curse.

• 2 weeks later...

God can bless in many ways, but I believe Abraham's material wealth came from the Lord. God had promised to bless him and He did, not only with wealth but with health.

I don't think material wealth always reflects God's blessing. Many people are wealthy but do not know God. Most of the time they put on an act of being content and peaceful, but only true contentment and peace come from God. They are ususally fearful that someone will rip them off. Look at how some wealthy reacted when the stock market crashed back in the late 20's. They committed suicide. Wealth was their God. I wasn't alive then but I've heard stories of what happened.

No I don't think physical poverty reflects God's curse. Jesus had no place to lay His head, yet He preached the good news to the poor. He was Spiritually rich, He was the son of the One that owned it all.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (13:2) Does Abraham's material wealth reflect God's blessing on him? Does material wealth always reflect God's blessing. Does physical poverty always reflect God's curse?

In Abrahams case material wealth was a blessing, unfortunately some people pursue material wealth at the cost of their walk with God. I at one time allowed my life to be taken over by material things, but thankfully by faith my life goals have been changed.

I am grateful for all the blessings I receive from my Saviour. As Abrham each day brought new blessings.

• 2 months later...

I think Abraham is blessed by God and material wealth is part of this blessing. However, material wealth does not always reflect God's blessing, nor does poverty reflect God's curse.

• 2 weeks later...

God honored his covenant with Abraham. No, God word says if I'm His child all things work together for my good no matter what they are (wealth or poverty).

• 1 month later...

Q1. (13:2)

Does Abraham's material wealth reflect God's blessing on him?

Does material wealth always reflect God's blessing.

Does physical poverty always reflect God's curse?

Yes, God has promised that He will bless Abraham abundantly. We see in our world today so much evil and many people blessed with immense riches. Some of these people do not deserve this blessing but this is part of God

• 5 weeks later...

I agree with Pastor Ralph that material wealth and blessing are not necessary correlated. It is written that whoever is given much, much will be expected (paraphrase). It is sad to look at how many rich people there are who are emotionally bankrupt. Though they have millions; they are literally killing themselves. They do not understand that in giving it away, they will find happiness. Our great teacher taught us to pray, 'give us this day our daily bread....' I get the impression this is enough to be considered abundantly blessed. When I see the poor, there are so many times I see a spirituality, a true and total dependence on God, I can understand how the last will be first.

• 3 weeks later...

Does Abraham's material wealth reflect God's blessing on him?

Yes, I think it does for Abraham...it was a promise kept by God to bless him.

Does material wealth always reflect God's blessing?

No, absolutely not. Many who are wealthy do not serve the Living God. They may say they are blessed by God because they have riches, but that is not necessarily true.....IT COULD BE they are in God's will and are waelthy...but they could also be poor and abiding in His will.

Does physical poverty always reflect God's curse?

No, our lives may be filled with wealth or want.....and we can be in the same state of loving God and serving Him. The choice for us is God's to make.

• 1 month later...

(13:2) Does Abraham's material wealth reflect God's blessing on him? Does material wealth always reflect God's blessing? Does physical poverty always reflect God's curse?

Yes, Abraham's material wealth does reflect God's blessing on him.

No, material wealth does not always reflect God's blessings because God has told us Matt. 19:23"Assuredly, I say to you that it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven."

No physical poverty does not reflect God's curse because Paul experienced times of abundance as well as times of scarcity.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Abraham's material wealth reflected God's blessing on him. God said in Genesis 12:2-3 that I will bless you. I do believe that material wealth does reflect God's blessing on a person's life. That of course is totally different from God's favor. I believe He blesses many with wealth even those who are not His own. There is a verse that says it is the goodness of God that leadeth a person to repentance. On the other hand physical poverty does not always reflect God's curse. Jesus said that foxes have holes.... but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head. Paul at times was in poverty and sometimes in plenty but Paul said I have learned that in whatever state I am therewith to be content. That is the attitude that the Christian is to have concerning wealth or poverty.

• 3 months later...

1. Does Abraham's material wealth reflect God's blessing on him? Yes! For that period of history

wealth served God

• 2 months later...

Absolutely! Abraham's' wealth reflects God's blessings. Each and every time that Abraham received new animals, coins or awaken in good health and spirits this was God's blessings. It should, however, come as no surprise since God did promise to bless Abraham (Gen. 12:2-3)

Genesis 12:2-3 (ASV)

2 and I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make they name great; and be thou a blessing;

3 and I will bless them that bless thee, and him that curseth thee will I curse: and in thee shall all the families of the earth be blessed.

Does material blessings alway as reflect God's will? No, not always. Some people respond to Satan and his devious plots and instead of accepting the gifts from our gracious Lord, these self-indulgent individuals have ulterior motives which are motive by greed, or social status. With this being said, there is a small population who need to buy merchandise in an attempt to fill voids in their lives. These individuals are ill and I believe that their motives are neither of greed nor an effort to build an extensive portfolio of wealth.

Does physical poverty always reflect God's cures? No! God decides the situation which is best for each of his sheep. Some will be rich in materials while others will strive from week to week but if we stop and meditate on both positions we will find that we each have our own riches bestowed upon us by God. From experience I can say that we have never had extra cash and have always had an abundance of medical bills...however, I have been blessed with a caring wife, with whom I will celebrate our 32 second anniversary in June. Compare this to an individual we kn ow who was born into money, he is generous to a fault but he is never happy, each thing he buys he tires of quickly and moves on...here you have two-families, both God-fearing, one which thank God for all that they have, and the other who forgets from whom the gifts come.

• 3 months later...

I would say yes because I believe when God says He is blessing us it can affect both our spiritual and physical life the physical of which could be material wealth.

Not always but to every believer it does for every good gift comes from above only that we should know that whatever God blesses us with is not for us alone but for us to bless His work and others.

No

but sometime when we are disobedient to Him, He can use anything to gain our attention.

To some degree yes, it is a blessing from God in this case. No, wealth does not always reflect his blessing. For some people, wealth can actually be more f a curse than they realize at the time. Poverty des not necessarily always mean a curse either. We have free will & there are lots of poor people who love & follow God. God always has a divine plan for all those who love & obey him- sometimes it is wealth, smetimes it is other blessings much more important than material wealth. And there are a lot of wealthy peple who do not know ( or want to) know God.

• 4 months later...

1a)Yes Abraham’s material wealth reflects God’s blessing. Wealth is one of the kind of blessings God can bring.

b)No God’s blessing and wealth is not always, and a connection between the 2 is oversimplification. Paul experienced both poverty and abundance.God brings many blessings of all kinds.

c)No,maybe in physical poverty but blessed by God in other ways.

• 9 months later...

Material wea;th is somehting that many unbelivers have. Strange how God's plan and timing are different and important. Also, for many who are poor and have little, God is more important to such people; Hispanics are agreat example how thye love God. They may not have much in this physical world, but they are very passionate in their worship and Godis very happy when they do this. it is an inspiration to me.

• 5 months later...

Abraham’s material wealth could reflect God’s blessing on him. God was giving Abraham material goods even when he did not trust him. Material wealth does not reflect God’s blessing because sometime material wealth is a curse. There are many men that do not believe in God that have great material wealth. Maybe if they didn’t have this wealth they would trust God more. Physical poverty doesn’t always reflect God’s curse. I know of plenty of physical poor people that trust in God but they are still happy people.

• 7 months later...

Abraham's material wealth does reflect God's blessing on him.  I believe God specifically blessed Abraham spiritually and physically to carry out the covenant he created with Abraham (See Gen 12).  Abraham trusted and obeyed God and thus God provided and equipped him to lay the foundation for the future in accordance with that covenant.  Material wealth does not always reflect God's direct blessing on a person(s).  Remember it rains on the just and unjust alike.  I think there is a point and purpose behind God blessing believer's with wealth and that is to further the Kingdom of God.  Not everyone can handle wealth.  Wealth does something that changes most people.  Wealth often times creates in people a sense of self-sufficiency and a false security that distances them from God.  Often times wealth gets in the way of a relationship with God.  Having what we need is a good thing.  The best thing.  It keeps us close in our walk with God.

Physical poverty happens for a myriad of reasons not just reflecting a curse from God.  Throughout the ages until present, standing up for God has cost people their lives, wealth, and property.  The most important aspect of wealth is spiritual wealth.  The kind of wealth that endures death and is realized in eternity with God.  The kind of wealth that does not corrupt.