JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. God's Blessing through Much Pain

God blesses Abraham by giving him a son with Sarah, by having Ishmael and Hagar leave the camp (peace) and by an alliance with Abimelech.

By sending Ishmael away strife would be avoided between Ishmael and Isaac and their descendants.

Isaac is blessed by having peace in his life and there were no further questions about his inheritance.

If Ishmael hadn't been sent away there probably would have been violence between them.

No I am blessed to say I've not felt rejected.

God can bring good out of a bad situation.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. In what ways has God blessed Abraham in this difficult chapter 21? Given what we know about Ishmael's character (16:12; 25:18), how has Abraham been blessed that he sent him away? How has Isaac been blessed? What might have happened if Ishmael hadn't been sent away? Have you ever been rejected or sent away? Were is God in all of this?

Whether Ishmael would be sent away or not - God would not have left Abraham or Ishmael alone - He always provides a way out of every situation

He will not tempt us beyond what we can bear or tolerate

• 4 months later...

Q3. In what ways has God blessed Abraham in this difficult chapter 21? Given what we know about Ishmael's character (16:12; 25:18), how has Abraham been blessed that he sent him away? How has Isaac been blessed? What might have happened if Ishmael hadn't been sent away? Have you ever been rejected or sent away? Were is God in all of this?

God blessed Abraham in that Isaac was given birth by Sarah and he would be blessed and God promised Abraham that Ishmael would father a great nation also.

Because of Ishmael's personality, Isaac and Ishmael would probably not have gotten along and that could have been destructive for one or both of them. In God's wisdom and foreknowledge, he permitted Sarah's demand that Hagar and Ishmael be sent away. It preserved both of them.

I have been rejected and it hurt, however God was there to wrap his arms around me. That was great.

• 2 months later...

I think Abraham was blessed with peace and understanding because he knew God would take care of Ishmael. Abraham was blessed because there was no conflict in the family and everything was working out according to the Lord. Isaac was blessed because he was the true heir. If Ishmael had not been sent away there would have been a lot of danger for Isaac. Yes, I have been rejected. God has always been right there.

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. In what ways has God blessed Abraham in this difficult chapter 21? Given what we know about Ishmael's character (16:12; 25:18), how has Abraham been blessed that he sent him away? How has Isaac been blessed? What might have happened if Ishmael hadn't been sent away? Have you ever been rejected or sent away? Where is God in all of this?

The heir is born, that is a great blessing and a long waiting promise as come to be true.

Ishmael is also gone giving Isaac full inheretage without conflict in the family.

If Ishmael could have not gone, there could be trouble in that family, I thank God he always Has good plans for us.

• 1 year later...

In what ways has God blessed Abraham in this difficult chapter 21? The events of this Chapter ensure that Abraham ultimately becomes the father of two great nations through Isaac and through Ishmael

Given what we know about Ishmael's character (16:12; 25:18), how has Abraham been blessed that he sent him away? If Ishmael had remained, it would likely have given rise to huge family conflicts. We have already seen the conflicts which have arisen between Abraham and Sarah over Hagar and Ishmael. If they had stayed, this would have got worse

How has Isaac been blessed? What might have happened if Ishmael hadn't been sent away? They would likely have ended up in conflict, and given the characters of each, Ishmael could have been expected to prevail in any such conflict. Of course, God knew this and had all of this planned out. If this problem hadn't been resolved in this way, it would have been resolved by God in some other way.

Have you ever been rejected or sent away? Not really. I have rejected God, and thought that I had sent Him away. When I returned to Him, I found that it was me that had gone away and He was right there where He had always been.

Were is God in all of this? God is everywhere in everything. He was caring for Abraham, Sarah, Hagar, Isaac and Ishmael and ensuring that His promise to each of them would be fulfilled. So it is the same with us. He cares for us constantly and in everything which we do. He never rejects us or sends us away - Oh that the reverse were true and I would not have wasted over 30 years of my life wandering in the wilderness. The great thing is though that He was always there and now I am back walking with Him and He is all around me.

• 2 weeks later...

God blessed Abraham with the promised son Isaac and the promise that He would make a nation from Ishmael, so he knew that Ishmael will not be forgotten.

Isaac and Ishmael probably would not been compatable. Isaac might have taken on some of Ishmael's manerisms and actions. Isaac would have received all the spiritual promises. He was the heir God promised Abraham and Sarah.

Yes I have been rejected and it hurts. Although I don't know why I went through this terrible time. It was a time in my life I felt so alone but looking back I know God was there even though it didn't feel like it. He's still working on me. I know He will never give up on me.

Abraham decided to send his son away, could not have been easy for him, he watched this boy from an infant, enjoyed the chances that time brings, as a young man he turned out to be a bit of trouble, but still his son.

Abraham had to be a man of decision, he had to prove in many ways even to himself that he could make the had decisions.

Issac has been greatly blessed by God because of his father and because his father had placed his full faith in God, God had promised, Abraham had faith in that promised.

I have suffered rejection in my life and never looked for Gods hand in that rejection, I always looked for someone to blame.

But oh! how my gracious Father has changed me, I look at rejection and trails as a builder in Christ.

What a wonderful God we have.

• 2 months later...

God gave Abraham and heir in Issac. God blessed Abraham by keeping covenant and blessing Ismael, He said he would be a great nation. If Ismael had stayed he would have caused trouble in the family, with Sarah as well as dominated Issac. God spared Abraham from having to deal with all the distress caused by him staying. Issac was blessed because he could be himself and not been impacted by Ismael's ways. Yes I have been rejected many times, God is always with me but I am afraid when I am in distress I have not always recognized that he was by my side.

• 1 month later...

Q3.

In what ways has God blessed Abraham in this difficult chapter 21?

Given what we know about Ishmael's character (16:12; 25:18), how has Abraham been blessed that he sent him away?

How has Isaac been blessed?

What might have happened if Ishmael hadn't been sent away?

Have you ever been rejected or sent away?

Where is God in all of this?

God blessed Abraham in that He promised that both his sons would be looked after. Our Lord made it clear that the covenant would be carried out through Isaac, the promised son. God was gracious enough to comfort Abraham with the promise that Ishmael would become the father of a great nation. God

• 1 month later...

God told Abraham that Ishmael would be the head of a nation, a people.

Given what we know about Ishmael's character (16:12; 25:18), how has Abraham been blessed that he sent him away?

God has still blessed Abraham because God has kept His promise that the blessing to Abraham would be through Isaac. He knows that Abraham feels bad, but He still must remind him that He is God.

How has Isaac been blessed? What might have happened if Ishmael hadn't been sent away?

Because of his wild nature, it is not known if Isaac could stand up to him. We must remember that Ishmael is almost a grown man and Isaac is still a little one.

Have you ever been rejected or sent away? Were is God in all of this?

Yes...I think all of us have. Perhaps the ways of my rejection would not seem bad to the world, but my heart was broken.....it has only had healing through the love of Christ.

• 1 month later...

God has blessed Abraham with a son who is his rightful heir. He also made Sarah and Abraham laugh in their old age. God also assured Abrahm that He would bless Ishmael. Abraham knew that God keeps His promises.

Abraham has been blessed by sending Ishmael away because Sarah is at peace because Ishmael is not around to cause Conflict and share the inheritance with their son Issac. Issac was blessed in that he did not have to be around to be in constant conflict with Ishamel because Ishmael would constantly keep something going on between them.

I have been rejected a lot and it hurt because it was mostly by my sisters and brothers in Christ. I must say that it turned out to be a blessing because of course I am not perfect myself and probably brought some of this rejection on. It really has made me a stronger person and when others reject me whether it's in the church, or outside of the church, the sting of rejection is gone. I know that people really don't realize what they are doing, so I have forgiven them. I have done things out of ignorance myself. I rejected a lot of people earlier in life because of fear of closeness and lack of trust, but the Word has broken me free of that ignorance. Thank God for repentance and being set free.

• 5 months later...

Not only is Abraham blessed to know that he has an actual son of promise from his real wife but also to know that his other son Ishmael will also be a great nation. Ishmael being sent away probably spared Abraham a lot of heartache and conflict. There was definitely too much of an age difference between the two boys and Ishmael already in his mid-teens and understanding fully what is happening and the blessing would fall on Isaac rather than him, well the jealousy of Ishmael could have killed Isaac. After all, later on in the family there were a lot of step sons in Jacobs family and Jacob chose Joseph because it was the son of the one he really loved. Even thou he was the youngest (up until then) he was favorite and the step brothers wanted to kill him so I am quite sure that it would have eventually crossed Ishmael's mind to do away with Isaac.

• 3 months later...

God has blessed Abraham with another heir from his own wife this time. He has also been blessed with wealth. God has comforted Abraham in revealing His plans for the boys future... In all likely-hood the foreign wife of Ishmael would have caused even more discord in the family and even led to confusion in worship of the Lord. Isaac is blessed because there is peace in the family. Sent away? It has several ways that can happen; Fired from a job you enjoyed, Disappointed in the results of an election, passed over for promotion. Losing ones hearing, or life savings. Where is God in all of that? For the follower of Jesus we know God is right there in the disappointment, in the agony, and pain. But we sometimes just want to suffer I think and so we don

• 2 months later...

God had blessed Abraham by giving him Ishmael with whom he shared 16 (apparently) wonderful years watching him grow into a fine young man. Despite the sadness following the eviction of Hagar and Ishmael we find Abraham once more blessed with his one and true heir Isaac with whom he would spend the remainder of his life.

Had Ishmael remained in the family unit and continued to taunt Isaac I would say that it is in the realm of all possibility that there could have been eventual blood-shed as Hagar fought for what she thought Ishmael should receive and Sarah fighting against the non-heir. The step-brothers could have easily ended in a domesticated violence instigated by their mothers.

• 7 months later...

3a)God blessed Abraham by giving him guidance i)stating he must grant Sarah her request to send Ishmael away, ii)reminding him that Isaac is to be the rue heir, iii)that Ishmael will bless Ishmael also (as he is A’s son also) as the head of a nation A still aches from the pain of loss of Ishmael but God consoles him &gives guidance.

B)Ishmael was a “wild one”. If A had not sent him away,A may not have been able to cope with him.

C)Isaac had the blessing of both parents in his family &being the true heir of God’s spiritual promises.

D)It avoided potential conflict for the family. Enabled A braham to focus on teaching Isaac. If I &H had not been sent away,Isaac would have been dominated more and not able to mature as much.

E)Yes

f)God is always with me,my comforter,provider &sustainer.

• 9 months later...

Q3. In what ways has God blessed Abraham in this difficult chapter 21? Given what we know about Ishmael's character (16:12; 25:18), how has Abraham been blessed that he sent him away? How has Isaac been blessed? What might have happened if Ishmael hadn't been sent away?

Have you ever been rejected or sent away? Where is God in all of this?

I relate to the present, my only brother has rejected me and said that I am guilt ridden by previous divorce and that there is no God. My father has tried to reconcile but since he is very old, 89, and dependent on my brother, he is not strong enough to heal this wound between his sons.

I can see better my own short comings and why I have been rejected. It has been a good maturing process. I pray that our hearts with not become hardened, but it has not been easy. Still, now I can pray for my brother to know Jesus and have no malice, like he was a distant 'friend' It is a little sad that other family members in my home town have all gradually stopped communicating with me, but this is all God's plan. I have become humbled and needed it. Praise God to keep humbling me so I can better submit to Him, be used by Him in His Kingdom and love Him for beter running my life for me than I could alone.

• 5 months later...

God has blessed Abraham by informing him that it is Isaac that is going to inherit his blessing. There could have been a great struggle between Ishmael and Isaac if Ishmael would have stayed in the camp.

Ishmael was not a friendly person. He was away going to be against anything that any man was going to do. He would have been very difficult to be with.

Isaac was blessed when Abraham sent Ishmael away because he didn’t have to be defending what was rightfully his. God is always in all that is happening. It may not be the way that God wanted it to work but He is always doing things to work out His will.

• 8 months later...

Abraham is blessed my Sarah bearing a son that God had promised.  Despite family difficulties between Sarah and Hagar and her son, God assures Abraham that Ishmael would be blessed and God delivers Hagar from her distress.

If the scriptures hold true and Ishmael would be a contentious individual then it was probably a blessing and a necessity that Hagar and Ishmael were send away.  This probably avoided dangerous confrontations between the older Ishmael and the much younger Isaac.  In this way Isaac could become the person God had purposed him to be and Ishmael would also become the father of a great nation. 

I have been rejected a myriad of times for whatever and for a myriad of reasons for whatever.  However, I have put my faith, hope, and trust in God and have continued along the road of my pilgrimage  on this planet.  With joy and delight I travel on.  Praise God Almighty.

• 2 years later...

In what ways has God blessed Abraham in this difficult chapter 21?  Sarah bore Abraham a son (21:2); God was with him in all that he did (21:22);  the covenant at Beersheba (21:32)?; the tamarisk tree--called on the name of the Lord, the Everlasting God (21:33).

Given what we know about Ishmael's character (16:12; 25:18), how has Abraham been blessed that he sent him away?  " . . . for through Isaac shall your offspring be named" (21:12).  "Abraham is assured that Ishmael will also be blessed."  "God consoles him with clear direction as well as insight into what God is doing."

How has Isaac been blessed?  "I will establish my covenant with him as an everlasting covenant for his offspring after him" (17:19).  " . . . For through Isaac shall your offspring be named" (21:12).

What might have happened if Ishmael hadn't been sent away?  Would he not have been the first-born-heir?

Have you ever been rejected or sent away?  Yes.

Where is God in all of this?  God is staying faithful of His promises to Abraham and Sarah.

• 3 months later...

God has blessed Abraham in this chapter of Gen. 21 because by sending away Hagar and Ishmael, God promised Ishmael would be the father of many nations. God reminds Abraham that his promises to him was that Isaac would be blessed by God and be the father of many nations.

Knowing Ishmael's character, Abraham has been blessed by sending him away because God tells Abraham that though Ishmael will be the father of many nations he will be a wild man, against every person and every person against him.

Isaac has been blessed because by sending away Ishmael, Isaac is no longer in danger of Ishmael's jealous attitude constant taunting.

Isaac was the one promised and to receive God's blessing by being the father of many nations and through him all nations would be blessed.

No I never was rejected or turned away.

God in all this works through the family squabbles to achieve his will.      

• 3 years later...

God tells Abraham that His promise to Abraham is through Isaac and that Ishmael has nothing to do with that promise. God knew that this separation would be difficult for Abraham, so God comforts Abraham with the news that God will bless Ishmael to become a nation and he will father all the Arab nations. Later on God will use Abraham’s mistake to chastise the nation of Israel.

It’s told that Ishmael will be a wild donkey of a man. Donkeys are particularly unruly, independent and nomadic and that’s a formula for real mess. Had Ishmael stayed with Abraham, it would have caused strife in the household and thus resulted in more grief to Abraham. Isaac was a docile person and had Ishmael stayed, Isaac would have not been able to hold up to him. Ishmael would have subjugated him and taken his inheritance away.

God is the master of all creation and in control of all situations. He is weaving all instances and situations in our life together to create a masterpiece which has an expected end. We may not understand all rejections or the adversities that come to our life, but the understanding that God is in control and is on the throne gives great comfort, knowing He is working all things together for our good.  

• 3 months later...

Q3. In what ways has God blessed Abraham in this difficult chapter 21? Given what we know about Ishmael's character (16:12; 25:18), how has Abraham been blessed that he sent him away? How has Isaac been blessed? What might have happened if Ishmael hadn't been sent away? Have you ever been rejected or sent away? Where is God in all of this?

Abraham is blessed in the fact because Hagar scorned and ridiculed Sarah when she was pregnant with Ishmael thereby proving by what belief or disbelief in God. Blessed him because he was causing division and he was just like his mother. Isaac no longer would have to share his inheritance or be ridiculed by Ishmael. There would have been a division in the family. Ishmael would have caused issues for Abraham and Isaac continually. No. He is always present. 

• 1 year later...

The son of promise was born to Sarah. Inspite of her age, just as had been confirmed by God, Isaac was born. 

Given what we know about Ishmael's character (16:12;  25:18), how has Abraham been blessed that he sent him away?

Ishmael was not easy to get along with. He seems to have had a very strong will and been wild. In the latter verse it sounds like he dwelt on the outskirts of settlements. Much strife inside the encampment was prevented. 

How has Isaac been blessed?

There was no doubt that he was the leader of his people once Abraham died. He was the one by whom the promise would continue. 

What might have happened if Ishmael hadn't been sent away? 

The influence of Ishmael could have  been potent on Isaac. Being so strong-willed, he could have easily overridden Isaac's more docile character. 

Have you ever been rejected or sent away?

Yes. But not by my parents. They were the BEST a child could have wished for. 

Where is God in all of this?
God sees the fuller, complete picture. He has given man the right to choose. This is what brings about the mess and the heartache. Yet, in it all He has promised to never leave us, nor forsake us.