JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Slaves and Saints

Q1. (1:1) what is the basic idea of "slave"?

Paul is addressing that they, Paul and Timothy are servants of the Messiah, the basic idea is, they are bondservants, voluntarily they submit their allegiance to Him, allegiance that calls for obedience, obedience calls for holiness, God

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1a)A person who submit to be under the control of the master &obey’s/serve their master for life.Paul servant of messiah,allegiance to Him,call to holiness,God’s teaching not in form of legalism,but freely because heart is changed.

B)A believer,commited to serve God,saved by Christ’s blood,become holy through Christ’s Spirit in us, chosen,purchased belonging to God at great cost.

C)Slaves serve their master for life,&purchased by them. Saints believers have been made holy by God through Christ’s blood not by own actions,& give lifelong commitment to serve God. Common ideas of serving master for life A ”Slave of Jesus Christ” and a “saint of God” different aspects of belonging to God. :D

• 7 months later...

The basic idea of “slave” is to say that one is committed to do the will and fulfill God’s purposes for life. The idea of “saint” is to identify believers as holy and consecrated to God, dedicated for service to and for God. Both words are saying that Christians are set apart holy and separated, and dedicated to serving God for life.

• 9 months later...

What is the basic idea of "slave"? A slave is compelled to do his master's bidding, to partake in his suffering, to die in his defense. He must go where he is told to go, do what he is told to do, say what he is told to say. If his master gives him food, he eats, if not, he starves. If his master gives him wealth, he is rich, if not he is poor and he has no right to expect riches or food, only to be grateful when it comes. We must ask who we are a slave to? Our flesh will enslave us too, and all of these things may come to pass if we are slaves to the flesh, except the riches of the flesh are temporary, unlike the riches of our Lord Jesus. Finally, if you are a slave and your master says you need to work on something, you must work on it. If Jesus tells us to kill the flesh so that we can better serve him, then as slaves, we, like Paul, need to learn to serve him and be content no matter what our circumstances. But then Jesus, having compassion on us, looks at us and tells us, you are not only slaves. Look at My Father. See how well He takes care of the lillies... You are also saints. Partakers with me of all the riches, which are in Christ Jesus.

What is the root idea of "saint"? We are also saints, beloved by our Father. Cared for by Him with tenderness. Shown the way to go and the way in which to walk. He has made promises to us. He will never leave us or forsake us. He has gone to prepare a place for us and while it may be hard to walk through a world which honors the flesh and tempts you daily, if you cast all of your cares on Him, He will meet all of your needs, because you are a saint, beautiful and completed in the eyes of God. No matter what you look like now - you are beautiful to God, because he sees that you love his son and have become conformed to his image.

In what way are these words saying the same thing about a Christian's relationship to God? When I am a slave, I am compelled to do what I have been called to do, even though the flesh would like nothing better than to run away. When I am a saint, I want to do what I have been called to do and struggle to kill the flesh which stands in my way. I think we must have both, because when I am tempted or close to failing, I need the mind-set of a slave, telling me I have no where else to go and I'd better just do it. This gives me strength, but when the battle is being waged against the flesh or satan, I need the mindset of the saint telling me that no matter what happens here on earth, no matter how difficult the walk gets, I am already seated with Jesus. I have to just put my head down and walk, because nothing in this life can compare to the glory we have in Christ Jesus.

• 4 months later...

Philippians 1:1-11
Q). What is the basic idea of "slave"?
A). The Greek noun doulos is used of "a male slave as an entity in a socioeconomic context," or "one who is solely committed to another, "slave, subject,"2 denoting "compulsory service."3 Hired "servants" come and go, but "slaves" are committed to their Master for life. I recall Paul's sense of responsibility about preaching. When he writes to the Corinthian church he says, "Yet when I preach the gospel, I cannot boast, for I am compelled to preach. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel!" (1 Corinthians 9:16)
#
Q). What is the root idea of "saint"?
A). "Saints" is the Greek adjective hagios. As an adjective it pertains to "being dedicated or consecrated to the service of God." Here it refers to believers as "the holy ones, saints," as consecrated to God.4 When we are "saved," when Christ's Spirit comes into our lives, we become holy. No, not perfect or perfected, but dedicated, set apart to the service of God. We are now his sacred property and off limits to profane use. Paul reminds the Corinthians: "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body." (1 Corinthians 6:19-20)
#
Q). In what way are these words saying the same thing about a Christian's relationship to God?
A). being a "slave of Christ Jesus" and being a "saint" of God are pretty much the same thing, just looking at different aspects of belonging "lock, stock, and barrel" to God!

• 6 months later...

A slave is one who an entity in a socioeconomic context. The slave is owned by another and is the  property of another  and can be bought and sold at will.  The slave has to be totally committed to his master for life.

A saint is one who is dedicated and consecrated to the service of God. When the Holy Spirit enters our lives and we become holy, set apart, dedicated and set apart for the service of God.

Both a slave of God  and the saint of God are both totally dedicated to the service for the Lord.

winstony

• 6 months later...

The basic idea of a slave is to be obedient to his or her master. A saint is one who is chosen by God. Once Christ is accepted as your personal Saviour you are a "Saint". As a child of God we are committed to being both a servant and a saint just like Saint Paul and Saint Peter.

• 2 months later...

A slave is someone who is bound to another -- his or her master.  The master chooses the slave and usually purchases the slave with a price.  The slave does not choose his master -- he is not free to choose another master.  The slave must do whatever his master requires of him -- he is not free to do as he wishes, unless so granted by his master.

A saint is someone consecrated to God, to serve Him.  When we confess our sins and acknowledge Christ's death on a cross to pay the penalty for our sin and invite Him into our lives, we become consecrated to His service.  We no longer live for ourselves but we live for Christ.

Both are much the same as neither is living for self but living to serve Christ.  I think there is a difference of degree, however, in that Paul was specifically chosen by God for a special service and he feels he is compelled to perform this service every waking moment.  In his case he feels he literally has no freedom whatsoever.  We as saints, however, have a great deal of free will -- we serve Christ, but not by the same degree of dedication.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A slave is owned by someone like property.  A saint belongs to God. For Christians, both words are similar descriptions of our relationship with Christ, except that the word "slave" implies our total devotion and commitment to Jesus. The word "saint" implies our dedication and consecrated service to God. In any case, we belong to Him.

• 5 months later...

A slave would be a person that is under the authority of another person. That person would always be given instruction on actions like where to go and what to do or what to say.

A saint is someone who is set apart for a specific purpose. It also means that a person would have a life that is different than the normal lives around him.

The both ideas in the life of a beliver would be that we live our lives under the authority of Christ. He is the person that is totally in tune with Christ as how we are to live our life. Since we have been born again we now are living our lives on a "spiritual" plane and not just a "earthy" one..

The combination of both ideas also tells us that we have a intimate relationship with Christ which is unique in comparison than those around us. Our lives are now going to be comtrolled by Christ for His intention of what He has called us to do. Which is different than those who are not slaves 

or saints of Christ.

• 4 weeks later...

Being a "slave" in this sense is total committement of one's own doing.  The root idea of saint being the same as I understand it.  One's relationship to God is the the same.  It is voluntary.  We have set ourselves apart for service to god.  we are not perfect but we do our best and we are totally committed. We become slaves of our own free will. A saint is pretty much the same thing.  We belong to God.

• 8 months later...

Slave has to deal with a matter of who you belong to.  Your master is your master there are no if ands or buts about it.  Being a slave of Christ goes hand in hand with being his servant. Saint pertains to the righteousness that has been declared on all believers in Christ.  It's a term that followers of Christ are referred to.  How are they connected.  Christ said that if you love me you'll obey me.  The saints are slaves of Christ.  We are his workmanship and it's a privilege and a honor. 

Q1 (Phi 1:1) What is the basic idea of "slave"?

One who is solely committed to their master for life.

What is the root idea of "saint"?

One who is dedicated or consecrated (set apart for His use) to the work of God, because of God's ownership.

In what way are these words saying the same thing about a Christian's relationship to God?  

​A Christian has been purchased by the blood of God's only Son, and is therefor a Saint due to His ownership....not based on anything else. The saint is therefor in service to his Master for life. The believer serves due to passion for the Lord, and by willingly choosing to surrender to His Lordship and Leadership.

The main difference is that  sainthood required a "yes" on the part of the believer, whereas the indentured slave had no choice in the matter and was bound to obedience through threat of punishment or death.

The major relationship is simply that the Slaves that had been re-purchased, transformed and consecrated and becoming the Saints that will be committed to the service of God without any excuse or rejection.

The basic idea of a slave is you are owned by your master for life. Saint is being dedicated or consecrated to the service of God. They are basically saying you are a slave to Jesus Christ for life, and saint means you are set aside just for God. Both means you live your life for God and Jesus Christ.

The basic idea of a slave is someone who gives up their rights to serve their master. In a similar way, a saint will give their lives over to Jesus Christ in order to bring glory to His name.

We as Christians live to serve the Lord as soon as we make the prayer of salvation. 

Q1. (1:1) What is the basic idea of "slave"? What is the root idea of "saint"? In what way are these words saying the same thing about a Christian's relationship to God?

The basic idea of a "slave" is one who is subject to another in compulsory service. A "saint" is one who is dedicated or consecrated to the service of God. A Christian is both a "slave" and a "saint" in the service of God as we service Him with complete devotion and obedience to every line upon line as He has called us to serve.  Our service is not on our term but solely His.  This gives Him honor as we do so with a loving and a cheerful heart.

Q1. (1:1) 

What is the basic idea of "slave"? 

What is the root idea of "saint"? 

In what way are these words saying the same thing about a Christian's relationship to God? 

(Note: to answer this question correctly you'll need to refer to the notes on the precise word meanings.)

As a slave we belong to our Lord and Saviour. 

We were bought at a price, our Saviour’s blood, and we are therefore owned by our Master.

We have been set free from our own sins and also from the bondage of Satan, but now we are His, His slave, bound hand and foot to the Saviour.

As a slave, we are completely dependent on Him. 

Slave might bring up ideas of forced subjection and even perhaps harsh treatment. 

However, I would gladly be Jesus’ slave – what an honour, what a blessing!

Since we have been purchased, we are in Christ, and the Holy Spirit has entered our lives, making us holy, not sinless. 

Being in Christ we are now new creations; old things have passed away; all things become new. 

Here, Paul is defining what a Christian is – he describes what we are by grace, saints, and not what we are by nature and in this world.

We are saints set apart to glorify Him. 

I have simply answered directly from the notes, which i read and meditated on mosy of yesterday.  Isn't it wonderful how God gets your attention!

Slave: "one who is solely committed to another, "slave, subject," denoting "compulsory service." ie "slaves" are committed to their Master for life.

Saint: "the holy ones, saints," as consecrated to God. ie believers are dedicated, set apart to the service of God.

Being a "slave of Christ Jesus" and being a "saint" of God are pretty much the same thing, just looking at different aspects of belonging "lock, stock, and barrel" to God!

Shalom and Blessing to those that hunger and thirst after righteousness for they will filled. May your cup be filled and running over.

When I was born, I was a slave to the world by way of the birth certificate I became chattel property of the state.

When I came to Messiah and put away the old man, died to self, I became a slave unto His righteousness.

I am a saint in Messiah, dedicated and consecrated to Him. I dedicated my life by taking every thought captive to the obedience of Messiah to avenge (punish all disobedience). I became a slave to my betterment. 2Nd Cor.10:3-6. I do that every second of my life.each moment Yah_(God) gives me the opportunity of the gift of salvation in choosing right or wrong. When I want to walk in the Spirit I have to walk opposite to the flesh. Every thought that enters my mind is not mine, Satan attacks the mind will and emotions. When we take the thought captive, we punish disobedience

And don't sin. HalleluYah.

In what way are these two words the same? A slave means you will sacrifice the flesh die to self, for your Master. In reality the Master did the same for me on the stake.Yahshua (Jesus) became a slave for me by dying on the stake for my sins. Is it not fitting I become His slave and die to sin on this earth. He loved us yet when we were sinners.

Being a Saint is a process a journey on this earth.

maturing unto His righteousness. When we put on His righteousness we put into action dedicating our life to Him and the blessing is He consecrates us in being His Saint.

Shalom, May Yah bless you and keep you in the palm of His hand and in the cleft of His wings well protected.

Faith

Shalom and Blessing to those that hunger and thirst after righteousness for they will filled. May your cup be filled and running over.

When I was born, I was a slave to the world by way of the birth certificate I became chattel property of the state.

When I came to Messiah and put away the old man, died to self, I became a slave unto His righteousness.

I am a saint in Messiah, dedicated and consecrated to Him. I dedicated my life by taking every thought captive to the obedience of Messiah to avenge (punish all disobedience). I became a slave to my betterment. 2Nd Cor.10:3-6. I do that every second of my life.each moment Yah_(God) gives me the opportunity of the gift of salvation in choosing right or wrong. When I want to walk in the Spirit I have to walk opposite to the flesh. Every thought that enters my mind is not mine, Satan attacks the mind will and emotions. When we take the thought captive, we punish disobedience

And don't sin. HalleluYah.

In what way are these two words the same? A slave means you will sacrifice the flesh die to self, for your Master. In reality the Master did the same for me on the stake.Yahshua (Jesus) became a slave for me by dying on the stake for my sins. Is it not fitting I become His slave and die to sin on this earth. He loved us yet when we were sinners.

Being a Saint is a process a journey on this earth.

maturing unto His righteousness. When we put on His righteousness we put into action dedicating our life to Him and the blessing is He consecrates us in being His Saint.

Shalom, May Yah bless you and keep you in the palm of His hand and in the cleft of His wings well protected.

Faith

(1:1) What is the basic idea of "slave"? What is the root idea of "saint"? In what way are these words saying the same thing about a Christian's relationship to God? (Note: to answer this question correctly you'll need to refer to the notes on the precise word meanings.)     

Basic idea of "slave" is one who is committed to their Master and do not complain in serving him.  The root idea of "saint" is being dedicated or consecrated to the service of God.  These words are saying the same thing about a Christian's relationship to God because we are made holy by being purchased by God at the cost of Christ's shed blood.  Because of that we are become a slave to God's will and a dedicated servant.

Thanks to all of you for your answers, so far. I believe I understand the meanings of these two words in my intellect, but TRULY grasping their meaning and incorporating those "ideas" into practice in my life are two different things. I understand that a slave is one who is bought to be under the absolute authority of a master; that being a slave to Jesus the Christ is recognizing that I do not live for myself but for service only to Him. How do I really do that when I spend much of my time each day doing things that sustain my existence in this world such as earning a living and taking care of the property that has been entrusted to me (including my own body, mind, and spirit)? It seems that those things are really focused on ME, and not on HIM. The only way I can reconcile these thoughts is by keeping my focus, even when I am doing things that appear to be for my benefit only, on my REAL purpose for being in this world--to bring praise to God for his glory (Ephesians 1:12-13). My father said often that our lives are to be lived in "absolute surrender" to our Lord Jesus. This is difficult to do when we are inundated with pleas for self-indulgent excesses on every side. May God grant us the daily grace to live the life He calls us to live.

And this latter thought brings me to the idea of sainthood. Since I am "set apart"/ called/made holy by the blood of Christ, how can I NOT live according to HIS desires for my life? HE has granted me the great blessing of being pure and holy in his eyes. Because He cannot be in the presence of sin, HE has covered my sin with His own blood, so that I can now come joyfully into His presence and do what He calls me to do. I praise Him for his great love for me and for the power He has placed in me to do His bidding. May the glory be His forever and ever!