JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Slaves and Saints

A slave is dedicated to another person and committed to that master for life. A saint is one that is dedicated to and consecrated to the service of God. By being a slave to God you are doing as He requires and a saint does the same by obeying the requirements of God for the will of our lives that He has for us. We all belong to someone or something, so we are slaves either to ourselves or to God.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The slave idea really hit me like a ton of bricks, we are to be slaves to Christ. He actually paid for us when Jesus hung on the cross. We cost a terrific price for Jesus to purchase us. And the saint issue to me felt sort of aquward because I really do not feel like a saint, but because Christ purchased and saved us that is what made me holy and saintly it truely was nothing we did. So that helps me except that a little better.

Q1. (1:1) What is the basic idea of "slave"?

A slave is subject to the will of his/her master.

What is the root idea of "saint"?

A saint is holy and dedicated to the service of God.

In what way are these words saying the same thing about a Christian's relationship to God?

In a way, we are slaves to God because we are subject to His Will, and we serve only one Master, God.

I believe that while the text may say "servant", the explanation given from the Greek denotes a much more than just a "hired hand". I believe that just as slaves were bought, so too, we were bought at a price-Jesus redemptive work at the cross. Having been bought, we are then, in turn given a special designation as saints-to be a slave to our Master-our God first and foremost.

I confess I cringe at times when a person is chosen for "sainthood". As believers, while not perfect, we are all saints

Therefore, the two together say to me that I am "the property of Jesus, bought by Him, for God's sole(soul :rolleyes: ) use. Set apart to serve Him first.

Q1. (1:1) What is the basic idea of "slave"? What is the root idea of "saint"? In what way are these words saying the same thing about a Christian's relationship to God? (Note: to answer this question correctly you'll need to refer to the notes on the precise word meanings.)

The basic idea of slave is one that no longer belongs to ones self. You have given you life up so that Christ Jesus can live in you and you are his slave or bond servant. A willing slave paid for by the blood of Jesus on the cross.

The root of the word saint is one that we are forgiven and our sins are covered by the blood of Jesus. We are not perfect we are forgiven thank you Jesus.

We are no loner our own we belong to God he is our master our healer all we need he has and will supply. He is the ruler of those that choose to serve him. We are bond servants or slaves both mean we give up our will to live for him. We put off the old man and take on the new creature in Christ Jesus. We do this willing and his has already paid the price for our salvation. Thank you Jesus.

:rolleyes: Hello, every body, sorry I am so late in posting this.

Slaves are committed to the Master. We are slaves of Christ Jesus because we are committed to him and comitted to doing His will.

The Saints are those that live the way Christ wants us to, to do His wil, living in righteousness.

To be a Slave is to be a Saint, to be a Saint is to be a slave. Both require you to serve by living the way He wants. In both words,"You Belong to God. Period."

Q1. (1:1) What is the basic idea of "slave"? What is the root idea of "saint"? In what way are these words saying the same thing about a Christian's relationship to God? (Note: to answer this question correctly you'll need to refer to the notes on the precise word meanings.)

To be a slave means that we have given up our lives to serve those we work for and our families.

The saints give up their lives to serve God.

Both we have to be willing to give up our lives to serve. We are willing to clean up our lives that we might be able to serve God with our whole hearts and lives. :rolleyes:

A slave is a person who is physically owned or property of another who has either inherited or bought that person. He has no rights of his own and must obey and preform the work which his owner demands.

A saint is a person who has received the blessing of salvation through Christ Jesus who paid the full price of his salvation with His precious life's blood. This salvation places one in an exceptional position, an exalted position, a holy position.

Both the slave and the saint owe their obedience to their master, the one who purchased them. The slave if unwilling to be a slave, will be miserable, as force is used to make him comply to his master's demands. The saint on the other hand realizes that he has been bought and saved from a horrible pit and been lifted to an amazing position. The saint has a different mind-set because of the grace of God, his Master, which has been revealed to him by God's Spirit.

Mankind, who has been bought with such a costly ransom, can choose to be miserable denying the grace of God or choose to be thankful rejoicing in the Gift and Mercy of God.

The Christian's relationship with the Lord can be viewed as both a slave, one bought and owned, and as a saint, one who has been lifted up to a position in Christ. Also the Christian's relationship is affected by his attitude to both of these ideas of who he really is in Christ Jesus. He humbles himself as a slave and is obedient, even as Christ was, yet as he is obedient he rejoices as a saint because of the his New Life in Christ Jesus. As a slave the Christian is obedient and as a saint he is obedient.

Basic idea of "slave" is servant. Paul and Timothy were servants of Jesus Christ. Root idea of "saint" is Holy One or Loyal One. Paul and Timothy were not only servants of Jesus Christ but also loyal to Jesus Christ.

To show love and true worship to God you must become his "loyal servant."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Basic idea of "slaves" is servant. Paul and Timothy were servants of Jesus Christ. Root idea of "saint" is Holy One or Loyal One. Paul and Timothy were not only servants of Jesus Christ but also loayl to Jesus Christ. To show love and true worship to God you must become his "loyal servant."

Slaves are committed to their Master for life. We should look at our role as a servant as a place of honor. Americans find this almost impossible to fathom. We think in terms of entitlement. We assume that we deserve certain things: a particular standard of living, a certain level of education, happiness, and so on. A servant, on the other hand, thinks in terms of his duties. A servant is a debtor, so to speak, to his master; we Americans (and many others) think of ourselves as masters. No wonder Paul

Hi. Both idea of a saint and slave are essentially the same except for a slight variance. The root idea of a slave is a servant without any personal rights. His life and purposes belongs to his Master. A saint is a servant set apart, dedicated and consecrated for his Master. The only rights he has is to fulfil what the purposes that the Master has set apart for him to do.

However its the latter that serves with the saving knowledge and grace of our Lord Jesus Christ. Both are obligated to serve and submit to the Master. Yet the latter can do so with joy because of the redemptive power of God through Jesus Christ.

• 2 weeks later...

A slave is one who is committed for life. Bought and paid for. A saint is one who has been called, and set apart, consecrated to God. They are saying the same thing in the sense that we as christians have turned over lives over to God to be used as He should choose. Holy, set apart, consecrated to His service

A SLAVE MEANS BEING COMMITTED,AND OBEY WITH SINCERITY OF HEART.SERVE WHOLEHEARTEDLY.THE ROAT IDEA OF SAINT IS WHO OWNS YOU,WHICH IS GOD.WE ARE NOT OUR OWN.SLAVE AND SAINT ARE RELATED TO THE SAME,BECAUSE GOD OWNS US.

tO ALL MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS,i JUST BOUGHT A NEW COMPUTER A FEW MONTS BACK.I AM GOING TO TRY AND FINISH THIS AWESOME LESSON EVEN THOUGH I AM BEHIND.KEEP ME IN YOUR PRAYERS.BLESSINGS LINDA

• 2 weeks later...

A slave is purchased.

A saint is purchased.

In relationship to God we (believers) of the gosple of Paul; as revealed by Jesus after His assention, are purchased by The finnished cross work at calvery (His Blood). Being Baptized and Sealed By The Holy Spirit the moment ye first believed. Slaves don't have a choice in there service to their master. Saints decide their rewards.

A slave is a slave not because he/she wants or chooses to be one, but because the Master chooses him/her to be His slave. I've struggled over the years with a nagging desire to please God with all kinds of crazy, churchy busyness. I now realize that He is pleased with me not because of what I do, but because of what Christ Jesus did. (read Galatians)

I am delighted by Paul's later words that He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it. God will be faithful to use me, send me, etc. I need not worry about whether or not I am doing enough. As I remain faithful to the day to day tasks he gives... that's enough.

If a saint is one who is called apart to God's service by God Himself, that is a done deal!! God knows why He created me and saved me. Only as I sit at His feet and learn from Him can I be made aware of the tasks of the day. (Not that I always do this, mind you)

I like the way Dr. Wilson puts it in this study:

"Salvation and sanctification are both God's work in us. So settle in your heart, you are a 'saint', no matter how rough-hewn your spiritual life seems to be right now. You belong to God. Period."

Both terms speak to the issue of us having purpose, whether or not we are part of organized ministry. Paul was a servant, my pastor is a servant, the youth leaders are servants and I (although not called to any stereo-typical type of ministry within the church) am a servant too.

I see Paul pointing that out. Although the congregation at large was not out on the mission field with him, they were still "saints", called apart to serve. As we read on in this study, Paul commends them because they did serve by sharing resources.

P.S.

I have been so blessed by this study already. It's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Doc. Wilson. ;)

To me the idea of a slave is to be totally committed to serve his Master. While the saint is similar but there is an image of one being set-apart for service to the Lord.

Both slave(servant) and saint are terms that show how we have been brought with the precious blood fo Jesus. We have cried out for the forgiveness of our sins and been cleansed by His shed blood. This should bring us to a place of yieldedness, of yielding our life, and desires to Him. We have given up our "rights" when we come to Him. Our life should be a reflection of our Master.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...