JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Bring to Completion

Paul expects God's involvement in the completion of the Philippians faith through Jesus Christ, as truly redeemed God's people. Because there is simply no way the Philippians could do it themselves. Paul's confidence came from the fact that Christ has already paid the penalty for sin. So God no longer sees our own righteosness but Christ's righteousness in us.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GOD WILL HELP US GROW IN GRACE UNTIL HE HAS COMPLETED HIS WORK IN OUR LIFE AS GOD DID FOR THE PHILIPPIANS.

PAULS CONFIDENCE IS GODS PROMISE, AND HIS PROVISION IS GODS PROMISES TO FINISH THE WORK HE HAS BEGUN.GOD WILL NOT GIVE UP ON ANY OF US(NIV)..

Paul was confident, that God would complete that which He had began. The work that God was and is doing in every believer! Why was he so confident?

Because He had already worked in Paul!! So he could speak from experience. Not only did he know himself, what God had done in him, he also witnessed the work being done in others! We can have this same confidence, because God always finishes what He starts!

• 2 weeks later...
Q3. (1:6) What does Paul expect God to do for the Philippian believers? Why does he expect God to do this? What is the basis of Paul's confidence? On what basis can we expect God to do this for us?

Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:(kjv)

Paul is "Confident", of what very thing / (v5) FELLOWSHIP IN THE GOSPEL, from at first they heard It, until now...you will find precisely what he means by Fellowship In The Gospel in the epistle to the Thessalonians; 1 Thessalonians 1:3 Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labour of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God and our Father; This question seems out of line. how can you ask "what does Paul expect God to do anything", we don't expect God like He has to answer to us. Paul is confident that God will finnish what He started.

The basis of Paul's confidence/where do we start...on the road to Damascus/ummThe Revelation of The Mystery revealed to him after Christ assended - about our Salvation! I would say his basis Are In Christ! And again I do not expect God to do anything for me; that is other than He's already done. He is in me and I in Him. I am seated in the heavenlies with all Spiritual Blessings already. My rewards aren't here, and that's fine with me for there is no good thing in the flesh. I am Saved by The Faith of Jesus! Now, He will Open Your Eyes to Understanding! In all your getting, get understanding! You get that by: 2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Amen

"Paul is "Confident", of what very thing / (v5) FELLOWSHIP IN THE GOSPEL"

Quoted from "More than Conquerors" - Posted June 21/05

I think "More than" is on to something here for indeed I've been struggling to get my head wrapped around these verses and the questions that are before us...

Taken in context, with verse 5, I believe Paul is confident that God will complete their role as partners in the Gospel. It is a beautiful promise that God will continue to make us useful for His purposes.

I did some searching at www.biblegateway.com and found the CEV helpful with their translation...

Phil. 1:5-6

"This is because you have taken part with me in spreading the good news from the first day you heard about it. God is the one who began this good work in you, and I am certain that he won't stop before it is complete on the day that Christ Jesus returns."

Why does Paul expect God to do this? Because God is always doing whatever glorifies Himself. He didn't save us so that we can become narcissistic, navel-gazers (I struggle with this so often!) but so we can reflect His glory. Romans 8:28-29(NIV)...

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.

These promises are incredible, they mean that we can be confident that God will use us for His glory based on the promises of His word.

Praise His name!!!! :rolleyes:

Paul expects God to "carry ... to completion" the "good work" He began in the Philippians. Paul expects God to do this because it is only through Christ's sacrifice (God's involvement and grace) that we can be saved. Paul bases his confidence on God's faithfulness towards believers. We know God will do this for us because He promised us that if we call on His name and believe, we will be saved. (Acts 2:21 -- "And it shall come to pass, [that] whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.")

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Q3. (1:6) What does Paul expect God to do for the Philippian believers? Why does he expect God to do this? What is the basis of Paul's confidence? On what basis can we expect God to do this for us?

Q3. (1:6) What does Paul expect God to do for the Philippian believers?

To finish the sanctification work He started in them

Why does he expect God to do this?

It

• 1 month later...

I BELIEVE PAUL WAS ENCOURAGING THE PHILLIPIANS THAT THE SAME GOD WHO WORKED A MIRACLE IN HIS LIFE WOULD POUR OUT HIS GRACE UPON THEM AND CONTINUE TO PROVIDE FOR THEIR EVERY NEED JUST AS HE HAD DONE FOR PAUL.

PAUL WAS CONFIDENT OF THIS BECAUSE OF HIS OWN PERSONAL TESTIMONY .

THE BASIS OF PAUL'S CONFIDENCE WAS THAT HE HAD A PERSONAL ENCOUNTER WITH THE LIVING CHRIST AND BY GOD'S GRACE WENT FROM BEING A MURDERER TO A MIGHTY APOSTLE OF GOD.

GOD IS NO RESPECTOR OF PERSONS. WHAT HE DOES FOR ONE HE WILL DO FOR OTHERS WHO ARE TRUSTING HIM.GOD'S SPIRIT IS WORKING DAILY IN US, CHANGING US FROM GLORY TO GLORY SO THAT WE CAN CONFORM TO THE IMAGE OF CHRIST....GOD BLESS......

• 5 months later...

Would like to add a little different insight to this...From the perspective of a parent, and to apply the previous lessons learned in this study. We were purchased at the highest price possible...the sacrafice of the life of the Son of God. Washed clean with His Blood.

God sacraficed His ONLY son so that we might live. Wow. How many of us parents could do that? Yet God, the Ultimate parent, did that for us. That's quite the price to pay for a slave. Paul knew this. He saw it. He lived it. He experienced it first hand.

And he also knew that that Love was available to every future generation that would recieve it. Would God just give up on His "purchase" and therefore sacrafice His Son for NOTHING? We aren't NOTHING in the eyes of God. Each and every one of the Phillipians, and all of us since then ARE LOVED THAT MUCH by God Himself. Paul not only knew this, he UNDERSTOOD it. He could guarantee it with CONFIDENCE.

• 3 months later...

Paul expects God to complete the work He's started in the Philippian church; expects this because God has promised it, and Paul lived his whole life after conversion standing on God's promises to be faithful and true in all seasons. We can stand on the same promises.

• 2 weeks later...

Paul full expects that God will continually be with us and guide to our destination, nurturing us and urging us to reach our full potential in Him. The basis for Paul's belief in this is that he knew that God is faithful and He will never leave us nor foresake us. For the same reason I have the same expectation of God and pray that I will always be strong enough in the faith to do mine.

• 1 month later...

First and foremost, God will always finish what He started, He will never leave us out in the wilderness to suffer. We don't serve a God of half-measures. Paul expects this, because He has done it in his own life. Paul has been beatened,stoned and imprisoned, the only way Paul could have continued with the mission God gave him is only through a constant spiritual growth. God never stops working in us, we are just impatient when it comes to His timetable. Paul tells us in Philippians 4:6, " not to be anxious for nothing", we must be patient and know that He is God.

There is only on basis that we can expect God to do this for us, FAITH! God told Paul, that "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strenghth is made perfect in weakness." (2 Cor. 12:9) We must believe and live God's promises. He already brought us this far!

• 3 months later...

PAUL EXPECTS GOD TO UPHOLD THE WORKS THAT THE PHILLIPIANS DO FOR THE GOSPELS' SAKE WITHOUT WAVERING OR FALTERING.

BECAUSE GOD IS ALL POWERFUL, AND GOD HONOURS THE CHRISTIAN FOR THEIR FAITHFULNESS IN CARRYING OUT THE TRUTH OF THE GOSPEL.

PAUL CONFIDENCE COMES FROM THE WORKS THAT CHRIST HAD DONE IN HIS LIFE. PAUL REMINDS THEM IN ONE OF HIS LETTERS THAT HE WAS THE CHIEF OF SINNERS, ONE WHO PERSECUTED THE CHURCH. BUT AFTER CHRIST HAD CHANGED HIM LOOK AT THE WORK THAT HE HAS ACCOMPLISHED FOR CHRIST SAKE.

THERE ARE NUMEROUS VERSES IN THE BIBLE WHERE GOD HAS PROMISED TO REWARD THEM THAT DILIGENTLY SEEK HIM. WE HAVE TO REMEMBER THAT HALF WORSHIP IS NOT ACCEPTABLE TO GOD, FOR HE SAID THAT YOU CAN ONLY BE HOT OR COLD NOT LUKE WARM.

THEREFORE OUR WORKS HAVE TO COME FROM A SINCERE HEART, A HEART THAT IS RIGHTEOUS NOT LOOKING FOR PRAISE FROM OUR FRIENDS OR COLLEAGUES BUT UNDERSTANDING THAT OUR TRUE REWARD WILL COME FROM GOD HIMSELF.

• 2 months later...

Paul loves the Philippian's believers and feels secure in saying that God will pour out his blessing on them if they continue to endure until the Lord come's back. If we continue to love God until the 2nd coming and serve him well he will do the same for us

• 2 months later...

Q3. (1:6) What does Paul expect God to do for the Philippians believers? Why does he expect God to do this? What is the basis of Paul's confidence? On what basis can we expect God to do this for us?

Paul loved the Philippians. To shamelessly plagiarize Pasture Ralph Paul expected the that the Philippians would share in Gods grace to himself because of their support of Paul and his ministry. They supported him while he was in prison, and when he first began to preach the word of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is with me every day. It is through my faith in Jesus Christ that I find Gods grace. I am his vessel. I serve him.

• 2 weeks later...

he expects god to fulfill his plan of salvation until the end.it is only god who makes this possible because we can never rely on ourselves to become righteous.we can only depend on god who has declared us to be his own.the basis of paul's confidence is dependent on god's faithfulness,,,that he will surely bring to completion the gift of eternal salvation

Paul expected God to continue to be close to the Phillipians and to send things in their lives to help them rely on Him. The more they relized that they could do nothing on their own but that all was dependant on God for His strength and help. This would then help them grow and become closer to God.

It is something that God had said He would do and Paul had seen it in his own life as well. So from experiance as well as having faith in Gods's promises.

God is the same yesterday,today and tomorrow. So what He did for the Philippian believers He will also do for us.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

to complete them in christ jesus. god wants to grow us up in christian character. you know this is not easy. we are like seeds,that must be shoved in the ground and covered. and though it might be cold and dark, our shell must break and life must shoot up through the dirt.this new life still needs alot of attention, being fed and watered right, and trimmed as well. this is what god does as we hand over our self centeredness and self interests. christianity is advanced citizenship so we must guard it continually.

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (1:6) What does Paul expect God to do for the Philippian believers?

Paul expects that God would, faithfully, carry the Philippians through every temptation and the difficuliities of life until the day of Christ Jesus.

Why does he expect God to do this?

Paul expects God to do this because when we come to Him and are "saved," He doesn't just leave us to continue serving Him without His help. No, He is right there with us every step of the way.

What is the basis of Paul's confidence?

Paul bases this confidence on the fact that God is faithful.

On what basis can we expect God to do this for us?

We can expect no less from God because He's no respector of man, if He does it for one person He will do the same for us.

• 5 weeks later...

Paul expects God to complete the work of santification in the Philippians. Paul expects this because it is God who initiates salvation, who continues it and who will one day bring it to its consummation. This is Paul's basis and our basis for what God is doing for us now and will do for us in the future.

• 6 months later...

I love Phil: 1-6. It's a promise that what God has started in us will be carried on to completion until Jesus comes back.

We all share in God's grace.

We are to be filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ--to the glory and praise of God. We always have the Holy Spirit to lead us in truth.

• 2 months later...