JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Discerning the Best

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (1:9-11) Why does Paul ask God to give the Philippian Christians discernment? What will be the result of discernment in their lives? How does selfishness cloud discernment? How is the good the enemy of the best in our lives?

What will be the result of discernment in their lives?

"... So that they may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ...." (1:10)

How does selfishness cloud discernment?

Selfishness is of the flesh and gives you only a small view of what is important (you). It blinds you in the fact that our God is a big God who loves all and has created all.

How is the good the enemy of the best in our lives?

Good is a temporary feel fix

• 1 month later...

I THINK PAUL ASKS FOR DISCERNMENT FOR THE PHILLIPIANS SO THAT THEY WOULD NOT BE EASILY TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF BY OTHERS WHEN IT COMES TO GIVING FINANCIALLY, ETC. PAUL DID NOT WANT THEM TO BE FOOLISH BUT TO DISCERN WHAT TEACHINGS ARE FROM GOD, WHAT IS OF THE ENEMY, WHAT IS OF THEIR OWN FLESH.

DISCERNMENT BRINGS CLARITY TO A SITUATION THUS HELPING YOU TO MAKE WISE, SOUND JUDGEMENT .GOD GIVES US DISCERNMENT SO THAT WE CAN PRAY ABOUT THE SITUATION ; WHATEVER IT MAY BE AND THE RESULT IS WISDOM AND UNDERSTANDING FROM GOD.

SELFISHNESS CLOUDS DISCERNMENT BECAUSE IF I'M TOO PRE-OCCUPIED WITH MY OWN AGENDA IT HINDERS ME FROM DISCERNING THE TIMES WE'RE IN AND I'M ONLY ABLE TO SEE WHAT I DESIRE. MY FOCUS IS ON SELF SO MY VISION IS CLOUDED SO I MIGHT BE DECEIVED INTO THINKING SOMETHING IS GOOD WHEN IT ISNT.

I GUESS THE GO0D CAN BE THE ENEMY OF THE BEST WHEN WE SETTLE FOR JUST GOOD INSTEAD OF GOING AFTER GOD'S BEST FOR US. I THINK IF WE WOULD WAIT UPON THE LORD WE CAN HAVE GOD'S BEST FOR US....GOD BLESS.....

• 9 months later...

For us to be able to determine what is God's will for us we need to be able to discern between His voice and our own little voice in our heads. We need to be able to choose between what is spirit and that which is flesh. Paul's prayer to the Phillipians would have been to help them accordingly.

When we are selfish we are thinking of our own best interests, seeking to please the flesh. We are blind to what God needs us to see.

Good in the context here indicates that we are seeking that which we consider good for ourself. That is what the Israelies thought when they wanted more meat and choked with quail in their gluttonous mouths. So do we when we seek that which we think is good.

• 1 month later...

Why does Paul ask God to give the philippians christians discernment? How does selfishness cloud

discernment?

1. Paul, I believe, was very pleased with the spiritual climate of the Phillipian christians and I think

that his work among them was not in vain, and that this body of believers were in the will of God. I

believe he was zealous for them that they continue on the path that he has set out for them, and not

to be distracted by the world's standards or any other distract;ions .

2 Selfishness will cloud discernment, becsause there is always that opportunity to turn back to the old

fleshly ways and try to satisfy the desires of the flesh and place them above the word of God.

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (1:9-11) Why does Paul ask God to give the Philippian Christians discernment? What will be the result of discernment in their lives? How does selfishness cloud discernment? How is the good the enemy of the best in our lives?

Paul asks for discernment, because he is aware of false teachers around. In many of his other letters Paul is constantly telling his readers to beware of false gospels and teachings. Paul tells his readers that he hopes that their love "...may abound still more and more in knowledge and all discernment". Paul knows that it is God's desire for us to know His true character. Jesus prayed in John 17:3 "and this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. Discernment will lead us to know God in a more intimate manner, not just to know about Him, but to KNOW HIM!

It is our own selfishness that misleads us from knowing God. There are selfish doctrines out there that paint a broad path to salvation. Paul said, " I die daily...", so must we. The cross we take up is not a light one, neither was the one Christ took up. Yet, many Christians would like to "lighten the load of the Cross", allowing for a "permissive Christianity".

The "good" is so often what is popular...the greater good is more often than not in contradiction to God's word. In Isaiah 5:20 we are warned when "good is evil and evil is good...". We have teachers and preachers today telling the flocks what they want to hear, not the truth.

God wants what is best for us and the only way we can achieve that is by truly knowing Him. For us to know ourselves better we must know God better. The more we truly know God, through His word, we are more able to discern His truth>

• 5 months later...

Discernment for the Christians at Philippian would be learning how to serve God better through better choices. This discernment would if continuing to follow God would result in drawing closer and making good decisions and loving their Lord. Selfishness clouds discernment by haulting the connection with God.

• 2 months later...

Q4. (1:9-11) Why does Paul ask God to give the Philippians Christians discernment? What will be the result of discernment in their lives? How does selfishness cloud discernment? How is the good the enemy of the best in our l

Paul served the Lord with his whole being, he expects the same of the Philippians. His prayer is beautiful. He Prays that the Philippians may be able to discern what really pleases the Lord. Thru their new found knowledge their love and commitment to the Lord will grow. We need to try and discern what is best for our spiritual growth and pursue it, no matter how hard it may be. Settling for something that is "good enough" will not lead to spiritual enlightenment. According to Paul we must focus our lives on what is of the graetest value to the lord. If we can do that we will be able to lead a life that is pure and blamless before the Lord.

• 2 weeks later...

:rolleyes: discernment makes one discover what is best and in this knowledge,one can act in a way that is pleasing to god which is being able to do what is blameless and pure.in so doing,it gives back glory,honor and praise to our god.

:ph34r: selfishness causes one to please only oneself rather than the object-the person of such love.this makes it difficult to understand the other person's needs which prevents love from developing or progressing into a more meaningful and deeper relationship which i call "committment"to the person involved.

:ph34r: when everything works,there is a tendency not to look for more ,thus it is not surprising to be content in such a given situation.this then may fail someone from more aspirations to something that could have been what is the best.

Paul asks God to give the Phillipians discernment so that the can see and decide what is best and that being able to do that will enable them to stay pure and blameless until Christ comes.

If I am more concerned with myself and what I do and want, I am not able to see what God wants me to see. I am not able to see thing as He sees them and that should be our objective.

Good is settling for second best. We should always be searching for what God and for what He wants to teach us. If we keep an open heart and mind , He will show us what is best for our lives. We Could just live a good Christian life and do all the right things but maybe that isn't the best that God wants for us.

• 2 months later...

faithfulness is tough in this world, there are so many distractions for us all. we all need our eyes to be opened cause that devil won't rest at all. you know he tries to get us to ponder" are you really satisfied" and then its off to the races again.

Q4. (1:9-11) Why does Paul ask God to give the Philippian Christians discernment?

Paul is asking God to give the Philippian Christians discernment so that they will be able to discern what is best and not be overtaken by satan in his schemes.

The result will be that they may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ and that they may be filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ so that they bring glory and praise to God.

Selfishness cloud discernment as one could be so preoccupied that the opportunity to do what is best escapes them.

Good is the enemy of best in our lives because it rob us of seeking that which is best.

• 5 weeks later...

Paul asked God to give the Philippian Christians discernment out of a love and desire for their spiritual maturity and their realization of the joy and peace that goes with spiritual maturity.

The result of discernment in their and our lives is spiritual growth. Selfishness clouds discernment because it displaces the will of God in our lives. It blinds us to what is best for us. Settling for good as we see it often displaces the best that God has for us.

Paul asked God to give the Philippian Christians discernment out of a love and desire for their spiritual maturity and their realization of the joy and peace that goes with spiritual maturity.

The result of discernment in their and our lives is spiritual growth. Selfishness clouds discernment because it displaces the will of God in our lives. It blinds us to what is best for us. Settling for good as we see it often displaces the best that God has for us.

Paul asks God to give the Philippian Christians discernment because he loves them. Discernment leads to spiritual maturity and a richer life in Jesus Christ. Ultimately, a life well spent for the Lord.

Selfishness seeks only individual gratification or desire and doesn't always, if rarely, looks for what is best or right in any given situation.

People are often preoccupied with good things and don't have time for the best, most important or most significant things in their lives. We often settle for the transitory things that ultimately have little worth. They might be good, but have no ultimate importance.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Paul asks God for discernment for the Philippians so that they would be able to distinguish what is best.

By doing what is best they are making the most of their time for God and his glory.

When we strive to please ourselves we are not thinking of what is pleasing to God.

The good is a distraction from what is the best and therefore not allowing a person to live up to their full potential.

• 4 months later...

Paul is asking God discernment for the Christians Philippians because he loved them he could feel their love for him it was a constancy love so Paul wanted God to give them more knowledge about the requirements of God to the Philippians Christians, Paul wanted them to have the knowledge about what was best, pure and blameless and filled with the fruit of The Spirit , Christ righteousness until the second coming of Christ Jesus.

• 6 months later...

Q4. (1:9-11) Why does Paul ask God to give the Philippian Christians discernment?

Paul wanted them to learn and sense what is vital and of the hightest priority, over those "good" things which can consume a life, and have little eternal value.

He longed for them to recognize the highest and best, and to distinguish the moral differences, that they might remain untainted and pure and unerring and blameless, not stumbling nor causing others to stumble in their faith. He longed for them to be completed in Christ, as stated in v.6, and they they abound in and be filled with the fruits of righteousness and right standing which comes through Jesus, and to His honor and praise...that His glory be both manifested and recognized.

Selfishness in always inward looking, always about "me". This closes the eyes and mind to what is good for others, since selfishness isn't concerned with others and their needs.

I think it was Dwight Eisenhower who said, "Your crisis does not make it my emergency", or something like that. The "good" can be like that....absorbing all of our time and energy and resources, much like a crisis does, and the "best" goes neglected, seen as a lower priority...always on the back burner, uncompleted.

• 1 month later...

Paul wants the Philippians to have discernment so they will be able to discern the good from the best. The result will be that they may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ and ultimately bring glory and praise to God. Selfishness clouds discernment because when you are being selfish, you are walking in the flesh and not in the Spirit, so you cannot "hear" anything from God or discern anything at that moment.

The good is the enemy of the best because the good is not necessarily what God wants for us, He wants the best. We have to remember that we are not "of this world." We are really walking and living in the Kingdom of God, and as such we should always be looking at the eternal vision for everything. The "good" can get you sidetracked off what God wants for your lives.

A) Paul asks God to givee the Christians discernment SO THAT they may "approve the things that are excellent" (NASB); so that they may be "sincere and blameless until the day of Christ; having been filled with the fruit of righteousness which comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God" (NASB).

In other words, "That your love may abound ... - Love to God; love to one another; love to absent Christians; love to the world... We cannot wish and pray for a better thing for our Christian friends, than that they may abound in love" (Barnes).

In knowledge - in an intelligent apprehension of the things of God.

And in all judgment - discernment and discrimination; based on knowledge.

When believers have discernment, they can better know the love and guidance of God; they can love more because they understand both God's ways and the human condition. They have an intelligent understanding of the things of God and the effects of the sin nature upon man. They can be more effectively used of God for God's purposes among men.

Selfishness is like putting the "I" in "sIn" - in other words, selfishness implies that I come first, not God, nor other believers. How can I discern anything of God if I am standing in both His way and in my own way, blocking my ability to see and understand. I must first put myself out of the way and then I will see clearly the things of God.

There are many good things in our lives but they can become "the tyranny of the urgent" also. We must make an effort to prioritize the best things so that we continue to put God first. Othewise we become more like Martha and less and less like Mary. We get so busy with good things that we forget about things like prayer and Bible study, fellowship with other believers and communing with God in quiet. These things are very important to our spiritual health and to our Christian walk and effectiveness.

• 4 weeks later...

Q4. (1:9-11)

Why does Paul ask God to give the Philippian Christians discernment?

It was Paul

• 4 months later...

Why does Paul ask God to give the Philippian Christians discernment?

Discernment asks us to put things to the test or give critical examination of our lives, learning and behavior.

Discernment shows the good is the enemy of the best.

How does selfishness cloud discernment? How is the good the enemy of the best in our lives?

As humans, we can become so preoccupied with success, advancement, wealth and status that discernment can be clouded. The quest for self or self fulfillment is the enemey of the most important and significant of things. At the end of verses 9-11 comes our purpose which is for us to reflect the glory of God and praise Him.

• 3 months later...

Discernment always puts us in a position to both be our best and do our best while yet growing and maturing in our walk with God.

Discernment results or causes us to mature in the ways of God - increase in faith as we are more apt to act upon the Word of God as we hear it - and as a result become more faithful or diligent in our service to God.

Selfishness not only clouds deiscernment it hinders and impedes our growth in God as believers. It results in complancy and causes a person to settle for whatever comes their way as opposed to striving for their best. (Philippians 3:7-15 NASB)

7 But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ.

8 More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ,

9 and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith,

10 that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death;

11 in order that I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.

12 Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus.

13 Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead,

14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

15 Let us therefore, as many as are perfect, have this attitude; and if in anything you have a different attitude, God will reveal that also to you;

Good is the enemy of best in our lives because when we settle for good it robs us of the desire or determination to continue on to achieve the best. as was stated by the apostle Paul above - we must develop an attitude that demands our best because we are serving the best in serving Christ Jesus. Whatever we do we are to do it "Heartily - with our whole heart - unto God and not unto man.

B)

• 3 weeks later...

Discernment is difficult.

The world gives us other priorities than the Lord.

Jesus taught us that our priority must be treasures in heaven.

The world tells us that you have to own things.

Many times it is very confusing.

The result of discernment will be eternal life in Christ.

Many times, our selfishness choses for earthly things.

If I have money, I can buy chocolate but I can also give it to the sisters of charity to buy water for Haiti.

Yesterday, my TV wasn't working and only because of that I read the book of Micha completely in one breath.

Therefore, I learned a verse about the need of continu to pray (Micha 7:7) - also an important lesson of our Lord Jesus.

Now I have a better understanding why the prophets are still in the Bible nowadays.

Not only because they tell the future but also because of valuable lessons.