JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Work Out Your Salvation

Q1. (2:12-13). In this passage, what does it mean to "work out your own salvation"?

I had missed the "church" context of this verse in all the times I've read it. I always thought it was just for me as an individual, and since I was saved, am being saved and will be saved "At that day", that I was to remember a healthy balance between God's goodness and His severity, as stated in Romans 11:13-22, and continue to live in His Grace, surrendered, allowing Him to complete His work in me. Dr. Wilson points out that it's to the Philippian church Paul is speaking, and the verse means for the church to work out their disunity and infighting and maintain harmonious relationships within the church.

Is this referring to salvation from sin?

No, that was taken care of when we received Christ as our Savior. We live in a state of grace, in which we are continually forgiven when sins are confessed and repented of.

If not, what kind of salvation is it referring to?

The walking out of all that we as Christians have been called to live out, individually and as a Church, corporately.

I think Paul is reminding the readers that while God is love and grace and mercy, He also doesn't "play around" with our lives, and neither should we. We are to live in union with Christ as our first priority, and to walk humbly before our God, and to be as serious about our faith, as He is in growing us up into His image.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (2:12-13).

In this passage, what does it mean to "work out your own salvation"?

Paul has always mentioned that salvation is not by works but by faith in our Lord Jesus Christ; also we cannot earn our salvation and it is a free gift. So therefore, I think Paul is referring to the squabbles and strife at Philippi, and they are to work out their own salvation, that is the solution to these disputes. They are to have the mind of Christ. So the salvation spoken of here is not that of the soul, but rather the deliverance from the snares which would hinder a Christian from doing the will of God.

• 4 months later...

Q1. (2:12-13). In this passage, what does it mean to "work out your own salvation"?

Pastor Ralph points out that salvation is complex. Working out our salvation does not refer to works on our own or achievement of salvation by our efforts. We have been redeemed or bought by the blood of Christ at Calvary. We are saved by grace through faith.........grace is an unmerited, unearned gift of God. Jesus Christ gave himself up for us.... to save us all.

Pastor Ralph uses the words reconciliation (meaning restoration of our estranged relationship with god where we surrender ourselves to God and our sins are forgiven) and sanctification (which is the process by which God works that salvation through and through us so that our character becomes more and more like Christ and the fruit of the Spirit springs up in us. While reconciliation (being saved) may be more of an event, clearly sanctification is a process.

Both are parts of our overall salvation.

Perhaps the most logical idea is surrender to God and to give our best efforts to become like Christ (sanctification).

Pastor Ralph points out the letter Paul is writing is to the Philippian church, so he is encouraging the entire church and church community to "work out your salvation with fear and trembling"

• 3 months later...

Working out our salvation is to continue in the process of sanctification - putting off the old man (nature) with its deeds and putting on the new man - that process of transforming oiur lives by renewing our minds - basically doing all that is necessary to become more and more like Christ. . .

No, this is not referring to salvation from sin - once we are saved we are delivered from sin, its power and consequence. . . This refers to producing or developing the fruit of the spirit in our lives. . . Galatians 5:22-25 (KJV)

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

B)

• 3 weeks later...

Q1. (2:12-13). In this passage, what does it mean to "work out your own salvation"? Is this referring to salvation from sin? If not, what kind of salvation is it referring to?

This is about the unity of the church.

In this context, it is not referring to salvation from sin.

In this context, it is salvation from things that cause schisms.

My country has a rich tradition of schims - even about the slightest difference of opinion, there's a new schism.

This kills the unity and therefore the salvation.

The lack of unity was also the reason why Constantinopel was taken so easily by the muslims.

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Salvation here means, one who has been physically and morally rescued, saved from the bondage of sin, safe in the arms of God, and "work out your own salvation" to me means, what the Father has done for us, by sending His son, and what the Son did for us on the cross, calls for us to "work out" - "to accomplish" what the Cross has begun in us, for

• 1 month later...

1a) Here as individuals & as a church we are to accomplish and strive for the implications and life style of salvation in our church community,looking out for each others needs and build each up, the fruit of salvation being in peace, love and harmony in the Spirit,using the tools we have been given Eph 6.

b)No

c) It is sanctification, us allowing God through the Holy Spirit to change our character,so we can gradually become more like Christ.The fruit of the Spirit wellling up in us.They have had their arguments, but now need to obey and humbly work & grow together united in Christ.Santification. :D

• 7 months later...

To work out one’s own salvation means to produce or create, bring about the characteristics of God, which are peace, love, and harmony in the Spirit. It means to humble oneself before God and rely on His strength to help us remain focused on doing what is right, and not getting side tracked. I think in this sense salvation is referring to doing what is right according to God’s commands.

• 1 year later...

Q) In this passage, what does it mean to "work out your own salvation"?
A) Paul was talking about the whole church becoming more like Christ
#
Q) Is this referring to salvation from sin?
A) No
#
Q) If not, what kind of salvation is it referring to?
A) As individuals and a church, they are to work out the implications and lifestyle of salvation in their church community.

• 6 months later...

In this passage, what does it mean to "work out your own salvation"? Is this referring to salvation from sin? If not, what kind of salvation is it referring to?

To "continue to work out your own salvation in fear and trembling". This phrase comes within a paragraph where Paul is praising the Philippians and this passage must be interpreted in light of this praise. The fear and trembling here is seen in a positive direction. John Chrys0stom writes " For without fear no one can accomplish anything noble or remarkable." (John Chrysostom, [Epistle to the Philippians] in Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture,257]. It is as Karl Barth suggests a matter of a continuation upon the theme of humility. As we work out our salvation we must do so with humility with the thought of other in ones mind. we cannot not be getting in one another's way with vain ideas of our own knowledge, of our own point of view. We must work on our salvation with full reliance upon God. God offers it freely but we must work diligently and humbly to accept that salvation and we must do it with fear and trembling. {Karl Barth [Epistle to the Philippians, 73]}

It does not mean exclusively salvation from sin. Salvation can mean adoption, faith, perseverance, prevenient grace, reconciliation , redemption, new birth, repentance and sanctification. I suspect that here Paul is talking about a firm relationship with God through Jesus Christ.

• 6 months later...

Q1. (2:12-13). In this passage, what does it mean to "work out your own salvation"? Is this referring to salvation from sin? If not, what kind of salvation is it referring to?

1. While Christ is our Savior, and the author of our salvation, we must accept him and work together with him. Hence the Holy Spirit says, “Save yourselves” (Acts 2:40), and “work out your own salvation.” Unless we do our part Christ cannot save us.  We should always fear God, and tremble from just knowing that he is omnipresent, omnipotent, and omniscient.  2.  Yes! 

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In this passage, to "work out your salvation" does not refer to our initial coming to Christ and being saved (or born again.) It refers to the process of sanctification -  letting Christ be Lord of our lives in every area.  In other words, we need to be diligent in cooperating with God by reflecting Christ in our everyday lives both individually and corporately as a church.  This is not optional for believers but an issue of obedience in God's sight.

• 1 year later...

(2:12-13). In this passage, what does it mean to "work out your own salvation"? Is this referring to salvation from sin? If not, what kind of salvation is it referring to?   

In this passage, working out you own salvation focus on the church and how they are to conduct themselves together without complaining or arguing. The church as a body are to work out their problems and come to unity. They are to produce the fruit of their salvation, that is, peace, love, and harmony in the Spirit.  No, it is not referring to salvation from sin but sanctification, becoming more like Christ for the whole church.

Shalom Saints by FAITH in Messiah;

Greetings,

Yes the Word "Salvation," is deep, for the believer and the body of the assembly. Each part of our life in character, attitude, actions and words we must be accountable for. I must yield my will to Yah and that is daily every second of my day because of Satan's attack on my life in mind, will and emotions. We must be on guard for the process to take place so we can be reconciled and sanctified through the Messiah.

Sanctification reminds me of being called a Saint. Being a Saint means I have dedicated my life to Yah in that I am reconciled to Him in surrendering and not resisting His will and conviction of the Holy Spirit in my life. Then Yah consecrated me through and through the Messiah in putting on His character. Awesome.

We are to be in unity with Yah but also other believers in the assembly.

We are to work out our differences in peace love and harmony.

I also think of family or even friends when there are differences of doctrine. I think of Paul when he says we are to live peaceably with all men. Or I am all things to all people. I get the same understanding with Yahshua when healing the people they came to Him. He didn't ask them what assembly they belonged to or what doctrine they believed in order to be healed. He healed them because they had the faith or he said, "Go and sin no more." He didn't put conditions on healing them in what they believed.

He was in one state of mind, unity they both believed He could heal them.

We all have differences in doctrine, however He is asking us to work it out in unity, with fear and trembling because Yahshua said, "To love your enemies, do right to those who hate you, pray for those who despitefully use you, and persecute you."

Why? Because Yah was patient, peaceful and loving toward us when we didn't understand. So why am I so hard on those who don't understand because Yah may have not opened their eyes to see and ears to hear. I must be just as patient, peaceful towards them and loving as He was toward me.

May we continue to have the same love, compassion and patience as the Savior had toward us in our differences. Wait upon Yahweh to change people's lives and not feel as though we are their god to change for us. For then it is head knowledge with no change in their life rather than heart knowledge with truly a heart conversion in becoming Messiah like. HalleluYah.

Much love in Messiah

FAITH

When Apostle Paul calls on the Philippians "to work out your own salvation;" He is calling the church to work on its witness, as the bride of Christ, to the world for the glory of God the Father and to do so with an awe of God in their conscience.

Paul in this letter, is addressing to the Philippian church; he is not talking about any individual, hence he means the salvation of the entire church, which means the preservation of the grace of God for the sanctification of the life of the church as one body.

This body is form by all individuals that are united in Christ Jesus, and with God’s grace they should be bond together for the wellbeing and good functioning of the church, and so to produce good fruits that everyone can benefit.

This is the reason for Paul telling them:

Php 2:3  Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.

Php 2:4  Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.

Php 2:14  Do all things without grumbling or disputing,

Php 2:21  For they all seek their own interests, not those of Jesus Christ.

Q1 (Phil 2:12-13) In this passage, what does it mean to "work out your own salvation?" Is this referring to salvation from sin? If not what kind of salvation is it referring to?

Our only "work" is to allow the Holy Spirit to "work in us"....since we have been called to REST and TRUST. We did not "work to earn" salvation from sin, only said "Yes" to His invitation and allowed Him to rescue us and save us from sin.  This passage refers to allowing the Holy Spirit to have permission and access to accomplish whatever is before us in life, be it spiritual obstacles, relational obstacles, financial obstacles, physical obstacles. It's His work which achieves the goal whenever we say "Yes" to His Lordship in our lives.

Q. In this passage, what does it mean to "work out your own salvation"?

A. Taliking to Philippians Church, Paul commanded them to endeavour to live by the power of the Holy Spirit to produce the fruit of love, peace and harmony/ unity as children of god.

Q. Is this referring to salvation from sin?

A. Not really but it is a process of growth to the likeness of Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit. It occurs after the encounter with Christ saving act.

Q. If not, what kind of salvation is it referring to?

B. This to my mind is the salvation process of sanctification, a process of becoming more and more like Christ in our conduct and character.

It is letting God work in you in growing the fruit of the Spirit in our lives.

Salvation was the first step.

Spending time in the Word and in prayer and obeying God is how we can add to our growth.

Q1 (Phil 2:12-13) In this passage, what does it mean to "work out your own salvation?" Is this referring to salvation from sin? If not what kind of salvation is it referring to?

Work out means to achieve to bring about the fruit of the Holy Spirit.  The Philippians as a body are to work out their problems and come to unity. They are to produce the fruit of their salvation, that is, peace, love, and harmony in the Spirit.  Fear and trembling implies humility and complete reliance on God for his strength in carrying it out.

In this passage, what does it mean to "work out your own salvation"? 

In this passage, we are to work out our own salvation, refers to our sanctification – our becoming more and more like our Saviour Lord Jesus. 

We are to grow into maturity and “work out” our disunity, envy, rivalry, pride, and selfishness, so that we can honour Him by living in obedience to His commands.

Redemption, salvation from sin, is wholly the work of God; we cannot earn our salvation, it is a free gift from God (Eph 2:8).

To achieve a goal which God requires from us, we have to surrender to God, stop uor resistance to God; so that God will work our salvation. We have to workout our salvation with fear and trembling for it is God who works in us. We have to work out the implications and life style of salvation.

No.

It is sanctification, becoming like Christians leaving sins behind, is not about individuals becoming like Christ, but the whole church. As is is written to the church as the body of Christ; about the life of the church, the life of the community.

We are saved by grace. Salvation is ours but we need to work at it so that we "change", accomplish the fruit of our actions.

This means, we need to work on love, 2-fold- accept the love of Christ and develop love for our environment. When we look at the cross, there are 2 beams. The vertical beam, is the love of God to us. The horizontal beam is the love we have to show to the people around us. If one beam is missing then we do  not have the cross. 

We need to sow peace by accepting people for who they . Again, when we look at the 2 beams of the cross, God accepted "whosoever believes in me" (John 3 :16). He accepts everyone. But we also need to accept people horizontally.

Harmony in the Spirit is also reaching the spiritual realm and encourage people to understand this spiritual realm. When this happens, harmony is a sure consequence.

We were all born sinners, but because of our salvation, sin is no longer held against us.

Jesus died on the cross for our sins and daily we are forgiven for our sins through our prayers.

Because of our salvation, we strife to live a perfect life, as Jesus was perfect.