JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Abraham and Melchizedek

Pastor Ralph

Q1. (Genesis 14:19, 20, 22) What did Abraham and Melchizedek seem to believe in common about God Most High?

That God most high was the creator of the earth, the one and only God and that he had helped Abraham against their enemies. B)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Melchizadek and Abraham both believe that the one God is the creator of heaven and earth. Both of them

gave their allegience to the Most High God. Both of them blessed God with their tithe, which gave God the

Most High God, their gratefulness and thanksgiving.

Isn't it humbling to know we are blessed by the Most High God. The creator of all things.

Abraham and Melchizedek both seemed to believe that they were developing a relationship with the God of the Universe. God Most High is the creator of heaven and earth, the one who delivers us from our enemies by putting them in our hands. What that means to me is that the trials I go through set me at God's feet, and there He overcomes the trials for me. All I have to do is persevere, even though that is tough at times. I love the name "El Elyon" because it truly describes God as above all else, the power that we survive on, and the power by which we are saved for better things to come. How exciting to be in these times, and to know that MY GOD reigns! It makes all we go through worth it (at least I think so).

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Genesis 14:19, 20, 22) What did Abraham and Melchizedek seem to believe in common about God Most High?

They both felt that "God Most High" was the Creator of Heaven and the Earth and delivered their enemies into their hands.

• 4 weeks later...

In a society where there were many gods, Abraham and Melchizedek both worshiped the only true God, who is above all other, the God Most High.Everything is under Him. Abraham believed God to be the Creator, who can control nature and who is highly exalted. God was his help and gave him victory over his enemies. Melchizedek was both king and priest. As a king he gave an audience to Abraham and as a priest he blessed Abraham in the name of El Elyon, God Most High. Jesus is our King and priest and like Abraham, we can stand before Him and talk to Him and receive His blessings, because He is the God most High, Creator and sustained or everything. What a privilege to be called the child of God Most High!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1. That El Elyon "God Most High" was the one and only true God, Creator of the heavens and the earth. That he was deliverer and provider. The Supreme God and whom they both worshiped and served.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Both Melchizedek and Abraham saw God as 'El 'Elyon. Totally supreme over everything in earth and heaven. God is the Lord God of Israel, The Lord God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. He is God of the universe, He is the supreme judge of all mankind, He is the controller of nature and ALL living things. Our calling is to worship Him, love Him with all our hearts, souls and mind. There's is none like our God.

Though there are other gods in the land that others worship, they both believe God is High above these other gods and that Him alone can deliver from enemies and only Him can give victory. They both know God alone is the creator and to whom all our appreciation for whatever our victory or achievements are is due and they both knew it is good to bless

• 1 month later...

Gen 14:19 And he blessed him and said, "Blessed be Abram by God Most High, Possessor of heaven and earth;

Gen 14:20 and blessed be God Most High, who has delivered your enemies into your hand!" And Abram gave him a tenth of everything.

Gen 14:22 But Abram said to the king of Sodom, "I have lifted my hand to the LORD, God Most High, Possessor of heaven and earth,

Abraham and Melchizedek both agree that God was the creator and Lord over both Heaven and Earth. They agree that He was the God above all others.

Genesis 14:19, 20, 22; "And he blessed him and said, "Blessed be Abram by God Most High, Possessor of heaven and earth;

and blessed be God Most High, who has delivered your enemies into your hand!" And Abram gave him a tenth of everything.

But Abram said to the king of Sodom, "I have lifted my hand to the LORD, God Most High, Possessor of heaven and earth."

Abraham and Melchizedek seem to believe in common about God Most High was that they've were agreed that God is the Most High kings, creator of heaven and earth, they also agreed about God is above all the other Gods.

Q1. (Genesis 14:19) What did Abraham and Melchizedek seem to believe in common about God Most High?

Gen 14:19 And he blessed him and said, "Blessed be Abram by God Most High, Possessor of heaven and earth;

Gen 14:20 and blessed be God Most High, who has delivered your enemies into your hand!" And Abram gave him a tenth of everything.

Gen 14:22 But Abram said to the king of Sodom, "I have lifted my hand to the LORD, God Most High, Possessor of heaven and earth,

They both believed he is our creator and he is above every other thing.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Both Abraham and Melchizedek recognized God's supremacy over all creation. Both recognized God as the creator. However, there may have been a difference in their terms of reference. Abraham recognized God as the one and only God (monotheistic). From my readings, it is possible Melchizedek may have recognized God as the supreme God in a polytheistic sense - i.e. the Supreme Being among a number of other "Gods".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Both men saw God as the “Creator of Heaven and Earth”; supreme over everything on earth and in heaven. Abraham came to see God as the “Most High” and sovereign after leaving his old lifestyle of worshiping idols. The true God made Himself known to Abraham by doing something that the false ones couldn’t. God spoke to him, telling him to leave his present place and go to a place where He would show him. This name also made me think about times in the Old Testament when the people worshiped false gods in the “high places” that Hezekiah and Josiah (2 Kings) destroyed along with everything that they represented. “Most High” took on a meaning for Abraham and Melchizedek that GOD is Higher than the false gods some worshiped in the “high places” back then.

Abraham and Melchizedek believe that God is:

1. The creator of heaven and earth.

2. The owner of everything that dwell on heaven and earth.

3. The deliverer that gives victory.

4. The one that enables us to win a battle regardless of our weakness.

5. The Almighty God.