JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. High and Lofty One

Pastor Ralph

Q3. Meditate on the phrase "High and Lofty One who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy...." (Isaiah 57:15, RSV). What do you learn about God from this phrase?

From the phrase "High and Lofty One who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy...," I learn that even before there was earth there was the High and Lofty One, He was and is and will always be. His very name is the quintessence of "Holiness."

How should this affect your outlook on life, your way of conducting yourself?

As a child of the one Most Holy, my outlook on life and the way that I conduct myself must reflect the position that I have as joint heir with my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ; who is the Holy One.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Q3. Meditate on the phrase "High and Lofty One who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy...." (Isaiah 57:15, RSV). What do you learn about God from this phrase? How should this affect your outlook on life, your way of conducting yourself?

He sit high. He reigns forever. I serve a God thats infinite, He was with me yesterday, and He's with me now and in my tomorrow. I will be confidant about my life today and forever, because with my God all things are possible! Through my success and my failures. I don't plain to have failures, but if I do I have an advocate.

• 1 month later...

HE'S THE HIGH AND LOFTY ONE WHO INHABITS ETERNITY, WHO'S NAME IS HOLY.THIS TELLS ME HE IS ABOVE ALL AND OVER ALL AND EXISTS OUTSIDE OF TIME.HE'S THE MASTER OF THE UNIVERSE,SET APART FROM ALL EVIL BECAUSE HE IS HOLY AND WITHOUT SIN.THE WORD SAYS BE YE HOLY AS I AM HOLY, SO I SHOULD CONDUCT MYSELF IN A MANNER THAT'S PLEASING UNTO GOD.BECAUSE HE SEES AND KNOWS EVERYTHING ABOUT ME YET STILL LOVES ME AND FORGIVES ME EACH TIME I REPENT, I TRY TO KEEP MY HEART RIGHT BEFORE GOD.I LOVE HIM AND DESIRE THAT OTHERS WOULD SEE HIM IN ME AS I GROW AND MATURE IN THE WORD..

Q3. Meditate on the phrase "High and Lofty One who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy...." (Isaiah 57:15, RSV). What do you learn about God from this phrase? How should this affect your outlook on life, your way of conducting yourself?

I'm afraid I got ahead of myself in answering yesterday's question, by using the quote from Isaiah 57:15. The only thing that I can add - is an illustration that left an impression on me - concerning God's eternal nature. The illustration was a white sheet of paper, with a line drawn in the middle of the paper. The minister explained that the line was like our life span and the rest of the paper represented eternity. The Lord loved and desired us so much, that He gave us the our life span and then offered eternity with Him. As our Creator, He could have just created us for a time and then disposed of us. To allow us to have a relationship with Him and be in His presence forever - is an awesome thought. It gives us precious value and encourages us to use our limited time here sharing Christ with others. Earth is the only place we have that opportunity. Heaven will be a place of worship and abiding in Him.

<_< God is supreme. He is above all things--everything in the universe!!! He alone is to be worshipped. He is forever--no beginnning, no ending. I however am like the one spoken of in the second portion of this scripture (Is. 57:15) I am lowly, contrite and I need Him to revive my heart. I need to treat God with more awe and reverrence.

God is the one and only God, above all else! He was, He is, and He will always be!

I believe knowing that He is all, sees all, and knows all, that I can do nothing that He doesn't already know about so I really need to be reverant, obedient and loving to His people. Try to always be more like Him.

• 1 month later...

He is the high and lofty One that inhabits eternity.

this inspire me with very high and honourable thoughts of the God with whom i have to do,

1. That his being and perfections are exalted infinitely above every creature, not only above what they have themselves, but above what they can conceive concerning him, far above all their blessing and praise (Neh. 9:5) He is the high and lofty One, and there is no creature like him, nor any to be compared with him. The language likewise intimates his sovereign dominion over all and the incontestable right he has to give both law and judgment to all. He is higher than the highest (Eccl. 5:8), than the highest heavens (Ps. 113:4)

2. That with him there is neither beginning of days nor end of life, nor change of time; he is both immortal and immutable. He only has immortality (1 Tim. 6:16) He has it of himself, and he has it constantly; he inhabits it, and cannot be dispossessed of it. We must shortly remove into eternity, but God always inhabits it.

3. That there is an infinite rectitude in his nature, and an exact conformity with himself and a steady design of his own glory in all that he does; and this appears in every thing by which he has made himself known, for his name is holy, and all that desire to be acquainted with him must know him as a holy God.

4. That the peculiar residence and manifestation of his glory are in the mansions of light and bliss above: "I dwell in the high and holy place, and will have all the world to know it.

This verse tells much about the God I serve. God is holy. There is none of the games and deceit that we so often see in people. He lacks nothing. He is control of eternity. This means that when the doctors, lawyers, or judges tell you it over it is finished there is no way out of a situation. You just need to sit back and watch God perform. There is nothing that is over until God says it is over. He can and will change whatever man has deemed impossible to change. This brings to mind Ezekiel 37 dealing with the valley of dry bones. God asked Ezekiel can these bones live. Ezekiel answer was,

God is Holy and Righteousness. He is eternal and will always be Holy. I am humbled by His Holiness and His great Love for me. I praise Him that He has chosen me to be His Child and to take me one day to Live with Him. He is Awesome and Mighty and there is no other.

• 4 weeks later...

- God is by far highest in the universe. Far above anyone and anything. The

This brings to mind the last word of Blindside's song - Silver Speak:

"I'm an ant trying to protect my dinosaur friend."

God is indeed the High and Lofty One, and as Christians, it's our job to represent Christ (who is likewise the High and Lofty One) to the best of our ability. To do this justice is indeed comparable to the protection of an ant, yet God's grace and strength can make us dinosaurs ourselves, if we will just allow Him to work in and through us.

It is comforting to realize that even though God lives in a "high and holy place", the rest of v. 15 assures us that God lives in us as well: "...but also with him who is contrite and lowly in spirit."

I especially like how the Amplified translation expresses it: "...with him also who is of a thoroughly penitent and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the thoroughly penitent."

This tells me that one of the most important steps to experiencing the Most High God is to make sure my spirit is in the proper condition to receive Him. Being humble and penitent when I come to Him and when I go about my everyday life should be my first priority.

This is just confirmation of Who God really is. He is almighty, powerful, graceful, merciful, He lives in Heaven and has no blemishes. And through the sacrifice of His son that he sent for my sins so that I may have redemption and only through the acceptence that He is the ultimate supreme being that I find grace in His sight to be inherited to His eternity is just so aspiring and unfathomable for no human would have as much grace and mercy as the Most High and Holy one. My outlook in life will be effected by the fact that I am forgiven and my slate is wiped clean because of The Great Sacrifice on Calvary that day over 2000 years ago. I must conduct myself as a reflection of the omnious one and Holy one that is the Lord Almighty.

• 1 month later...

Researching the words, "High," "Lofty One," and "eternity" deepened my understanding, admiration, and worship of the Almighty. Based on what I discovered, I pour my thoughts out here: The Lord is eternal. everlasting, and forever. Inhabiting eternity, He is beyond time and space, and over all of existence, seen and unseen. His sovereignity is undisputed.

As the High, Holy, and Lofty One, we must "climb up" to him, approaching Him in total reverence, obedience, offering ourselves and all we have as sacrifices. Simultaneously--and this is powerful!--He reaches down to us to embrace us, pick us up, forgive us, and take on and carry our sins! In this process, we become holy as He is Holy, whose name is Holy! Hallelujah! :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

God is High and above space and time. He is eternal and Holy. High and above human behavior, thought, and motivation.

I should emulate my God and seek to abide with Him and all my ways and words should reflect where He is at.

• 3 weeks later...

God Most High is to be exalted above all, He inhabits eternity and He is Holy. We are to lift His name high in worship and praise. Our words and actions should show that He is Lord of our life above all else.

He inhabits eternity. He is everywhere. We can not escape His being.

He is Holy and we should live Holy before Him. He gives us the power to live Holy with the help of the Holy Spirit and by His grace.

I pray that everyday I will become more Christ like. That I will choose life and not death. By His Mercy and Grace, He will continually call me Higher and to live worthy of His name. In Jesus Name I Pray.

Thank you, Lord that you have called my name and that you have and are redeeming my life daily.

Ephesians 4:1 . . .then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems to me that just the title High and Lofty One who inhabits eternity is impossible for humans to comprehend. We cannot fathom infinity, eternity, it is incomprehensible. He is before all the other gods created by men and will outlast them. He always is, was and will be and I cannot wrap my finite mind around that. But I don

"High and Lofty One who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy" is at once precious and humbling. How can I conduct myself any other way than to try and bring glory to such a God--one of complete power and holiness.

• 3 weeks later...

that he can and will take care of me and all my needs. that he can and will save my love ones . he can and will heal all sickness . there is only one thing he cant do and that is fail. he will never leave or forsake us .we may draw away from him but he will never leave us. it makes me want a closer walk a deeper prayer life. a prase on my lips at all times. oh what a mighty GOD we serve.

• 3 weeks later...

If we praise the High and Lofty One we should not have a aproblem with conducting ourselves in a Christ like manner.