JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. High and Lofty One

Pastor Ralph

High and Lofty One who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy...

There is none higher nor more holy. He is perfect and eternal. I can never reach Him but through His Son and then only with a humble and contrite heart. How can I ever be afraid or insecure knowing that the High and Lofty One who is above all things and in all things holds my heart and life in the palm of His hand? An eternal God sees the end from the beginning and the beginning from the end so He knows exactly how He should lead me to get me where I need to be so I will strive after Him in attitude, behavior and worship.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. Meditate on the phrase "High and Lofty One who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy...." (Isaiah 57:15, RSV). What do you learn about God from this phrase? How should this affect your outlook on life, your way of conducting yourself?

Holy means that God is seperated from us.

He's greater and higher than we are.

We should behave worthy.

Paul writes that christians can become holy/ with God too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Q3. Meditate on the phrase "High and Lofty One who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy...." (Isaiah 57:15, RSV). What do you learn about God from this phrase? How should this affect your outlook on life, your way of conducting yourself?

3. a. He is above all gods, high and lifted up, exalted, there is none higher, He lives forever, He is Holy.

b. I am to be totally committed to Him, in fellowship, prayer, worship, adoration and walking in the Spirit.

Trusting in Him for He is my hope my joy and my salvation. Looking forward to spending eternity with Him.

• 3 weeks later...

The phrase teaches me that although God is Holy, highly exalted and inhabits eternity. He is lofty and He dwells in and with His people to give His people hope and confidence. This truth affects my day to day living knowing that the Most High dwells in me. I can love others though Him.

• 2 months later...

God- El Elyon lives on High, Holy, lives forever- eternal and is exalted and lifted up high and above others, living on high, I am the work of His hand all I need do is lift Him above all things and always humble myself

• 1 month later...

High and Lofty One - He sits on the throne of Glory and of heaven, watching over each and everyone of His children.

Whose name is Holy - He is pure...His love is pure and His judgments are pure. There is no shadow of turning in Him.

The outlook should be that everything is in His hands. I should let go and allow Him to be God. The conduct should be as one called out and separated and called as His. Nothing I do should betray or bring an insult to My God.

• 2 weeks later...

Meditate on the phrase "High and Lofty One who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy...." (Isaiah 57:15, RSV). What do you learn about God from this phrase? How should this affect your outlook on life, your way of conducting yourself?

what i learn from this is that he is high than everything. how this affects my outlook on life is that he can see everything. a song that reminds me of this is el Elyon.

Isa 57:15 Our holy God lives forever in the highest heavens, and this is what he says: Though I live high above in the holy place, I am here to help those who are humble and depend only on me.

I lean that nobody or anything is higher than god. We should never worry or anything similar to worrying and we can use the name high and lofty one while praying :lol:

Isaiah 57:15 "For thus says the One who is high and lifted up, who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy: 'I dwell in the high and holy place, and also with him who is of a contrite and lowly spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly, and to revive the heart of the contrite."

What I learn about God from Isaiah 57:15, is that he's the Most Higher God than everybody. This affects my outlook life was that we shouldn't worry about everything. We keep praise him on high while we keep praying to God.

• 5 weeks later...

It means He (God) is above all things and He is everywhere, and He is there forever. We should glorify His name. Knowing that God is everywhere at all times makes me feel safe because I know He is with me on every step I take. I will continue to love Him and give Him thanks and praises. I will continue to read and study His word so that I can live a life that is pleasing to Him.

• 2 weeks later...

Isaiah 57:15

Indicates the positional supremacy of God (high and lofty) and eternal nature of God (consistent with His title

lofty a : elevated in character and spirit : noble

I never realized the meaning of lofty, so I looked it up. I guess I had always associated it with "crafty" or "sneaky" so now I know. Thank you! Although God sits on the most high throne in the universe, He humbled himself by sending Jesus to save us. Even in his position as holy and worthy creator, He chooses to know me as his child...a princess of the MOST high God..that is just cool! I need to live in a manner worthy of my calling as his daughter...as a daughter of the most noble King. I am royalty! I must conduct myself as such...set apart for a greater purpose of one who is greater than all.

• 2 months later...

That God is highly honored and eternally set apart from all others and everything. He is Holy and lives in a very high place and will come down to man’s level and live with him if he humbles himself and repents from sin. God will give anyone who does this a new life. By me living a holy lifestyle according the Bible (not conforming to the worldly life I lived before God took over in my life), I am no longer a slave to sin, I am free in Christ Jesus. If I am obedient and faithful, Jesus said (John 14:20-21); “On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him.”

• 2 weeks later...

I learnt from this passage that God is Almighty, there is none greater than HIM, no one besides HIM, no throne and no power greater than HIS.

I am HIS creature and every other creatures can in no way be compared to HIM.

I am just a creature made from mere sand but it is HIS breath that made me a living soul.

I am a sinner and an unholy person but HIS death on the cross of calvary change me from a sinner to someone saved by HIS grace. HE gave me his righteousness and nailed my unrighteousness on the cross.

HE gave up the ghost on the cross and the veil covering the temple of Holies splitted from top to bottom and this gave me access to HIM.

''For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind''

Christ in me is the hope of my glory.

Life without Christ is life of crisis.

I learn that only God is highest in this world and beyond. Lofty seems like he is far away, yet he is closer than my breath and loves me more than life itself. In fact he loves me so much he sent his son to live, die, and live again forever just to show me how much he loves me. I will forever conduct myself as if he was present with me in honor and praise.

• 4 months later...

I am thinking of at least two other Scriptures. One is Is. 6: 5 And I said: “Woe is me! For I am lost; for I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts!”

And the other one is in Rev. 4. 11 “Worthy are you, our Lord and God,

to receive glory and honor and power,

for you created all things,

and by your will they existed and were created.”

To Him I owe my life, my breath, all that i am and all that I have. He is the eternal God of the Universe. The one and only God. Every breath I take, I owe to Him. I need to glorify Him all the time with my thoughts, my words and my deeds. Let everything that has breath praise the Lord.

All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God... But God. Praise His Name.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

High and Lofty One is similar to Most High, in that God is above, beyond, greater, more powerful, absolutely holy when compared to man. Man tends to self-exalt, but God is the exalted one.

That God inhabits eternity tells me that He is outside of our space-time continuum. He created it, after all, so then He would not live within it as the creation does. It is difficult for us to conceive of eternity because we only have the experience of beginnings and endings, of past, present, and future.

Whose name is Holy. I don't know why, but when I think of God's holiness, it affects me very deeply. Maybe it is because I know that I'm not holy, but do so want to be truly holy. By His Holy Spirit dwelling in us we have been made holy, sanctified and set apart for Him, but we still are not holy as He is Holy. How I long to enter into the Presence of the Holy Lord God! In the Resurrection, when this corruptible has put on incorruption, I know we will see Him.

1 Jn 3:1-3

Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. 2 Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. 3 And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.

NKJV

• 2 months later...

HE is GOD above all, HE is so big He runs into HIMSELF! Only eternity is big enough to hold HIM, yet HE is Holy. In all that HE is HE is Holy. His word says be ye holy for I AM HOLY. This tells me I must strive to live a life pleasing in HIS sight, I am to study HIM and JESUS (our template), I am to Praise and Bless HIS Holy Name knowing when I praise HIM HE inhabits my Praises and Worship begins! I should not look at my circumstances and situations, I am to Look Up for my redemption is nigh.

• 10 months later...

He is High above all,  yet, He is with the humble and revives the heart of the thoroughly penitent (bruised with sorrow for sin). This effects my outlook in knowing that He alone is in charge and if I always live with this in mind, I will not have a problem, because He that is within me is greater that he that is in the world.

• 4 weeks later...

"High and Lofty One" is a description of God's wondrous love.  He is far greater than any thing here on Earth.  He rules in Heaven and yet He has such love and compassion for us. His name is Holy.  He is perfect. Yet, He loves me; the definition of imperfection. He sees me as His daughter. Wow! Such an unconditional love! 

It is also humbling. And it should continue to humble me everyday. He is more powerful than any other "king" or "god" that we have here on Earth.  There should be nothing put before God because God put nothing before me. Jesus Christ, the High and Lofty One chose to die for me! Wow, it is just overwhelming and humbling. 

• 4 weeks later...

Q3. Meditate on the phrase "High and Lofty One who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy...." (Isaiah 57:15, RSV). What do you learn about God from this phrase?

God is higher in "rank," if you want to use that term, than anyone or anything else. The mention of the word "Lofty" suggests that He is much higher by a huge margin.

The phrase "who inhabits eternity" indicates that God is not merely bound to the physical world. He has always been and always will be. God exists in our three-dimensional world as well as in Heaven which is not bound by the universe's physical laws. There is a lot to think about when we truly look into God inhabiting eternity. He created the heavens and the earth from nothing and before He did that He was everything. God filled His own universe, the universe of eternity. Then He made our physical universe. We're talking extra-dimensional stuff here.

"Whose name is Holy" . . . That phrase is just as complex. Many people overlook the holiness aspect of God. To be truly Holy is to be absolutely perfect in every way and to be an absolute perfectionist in every way. I'm not one of those idiots who believes the world and the universe are only 5,500 years old, but I don't believe in evolution. I believe that God, the Holy perfectionist, created everything but that He did that billions of years ago. There is such overwhelming evidence supporting what scientists call "intillegent design" to ever believe that things just happened to turn out they way they did. The old saying; "The devil is in the detail" couldn't be further from the truth. GOD is in the detail!! If God were anything but completely holy, imagine what a chaotic world we'd be living in! If God didn't care enough to make things perfect, life wouldn't be worth the living. The only reason things are not perfect is because of sin's entry into the world. But even that is a temporary condition. God is working towards the final solution. Jesus summed that up with the words: "It is finished!" His death brought about the defeat of evil. Now for whatever reason, God has a timetable. He is desirous of worship and devotion and He has allotted a time for people to turn from sin and to become His adopted children. Satan has already been defeated in the realm of eternity but in our physical universe that defeat is still happening in what we consider real time. "Today you will be with me in Paradise." Jesus told the repentant thief on the cross next to Him. Jesus was nearly physically dead and was already thinking in eternal time, when all things had already been accomplished. This is real complex stuff.

How should this affect your outlook on life, your way of conducting yourself?

I serve the One who is so great that nothing can adequately describe Him. I should give God my absolute and total respect and devotion. To my sorrow I fail at that all the time.

• 6 months later...

But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. 1 Cor.2:9-10

For me this question brought to my thoughts this song, What do I Know of HOLY

Oh how I long to soak in the Secret Place of the MOST HIGH where I can taste just a taste of Holy, I know when I'm there.

• 2 weeks later...

High & lofty One. Inhabiting eternity. Oh so far beyond my comprehension. I am reminded just how small I am, how insignificant. Yet, because of His great love, I am lifted up. My God's a big God, yet small enough to fit within my heart. All praise & glory belong to Him!