JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. High and Lofty One

Pastor Ralph

How high is high. To some it may be the top of the tree. To others it may be as far as the star that they see- BUT HE is above all ------anything or anyone----above all we can see, above what we can imagine, or think. HE is everlasting to everlasting. There is nothing that HE does not see, Nothing that HE does not know.

HE is HOLY means He is pure and undefiled - HE only wants the best for us and sometimes that means we have to 'take the lickin' - but that's the pruning process. In conducting ourselves we are to not only remember GOD in all we do - in our speech, in our actions,in our homes, in the community but we are to remember it is HE who made us and not ourselves. My outlook on life is it's not mine it belongs to GOD.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. Meditate on the phrase "High and Lofty One who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy...." (Isaiah 57:15, RSV). What do you learn about God from this phrase? How should this affect your outlook on life, your way of conducting yourself?

GOD is MOST HIGH and is the creator of all, above all, and none is greater than HE. We are privilege to know HIM as out personal savior, We, as humans need to try to show the same love and understanding that GOD gives us.

• 4 weeks later...

My first reaction would probably be like Isaiah's own reaction upon seeing the Lord in the temple and crying out, "Woe is me for I am a man of unclean lips!" Or Peter's reaction to Jesus in Luke 5 when he says, "Depart from me for I am a sinful man." It is so hard to describe how utterly holy God is especially when compared to how we are. It humbles me in a way that is different from any other thought, that no matter how I try to be holy, I can never achieve the holiness of God Himself. My only hope of becoming more like Him is to allow Him to work in me, for the only One who can make me holy is the Holy One Himself.

• 3 weeks later...

"High and lofty one who inhabits eternity, whose name is holy. . ."

How can I comprehend this concept? What is eternity to one whose physically-centered being is so time-oriented? I'm not sure it is possible for me to grasp the entire meaning of what it is to inhabit (or live in) eternity. How is it possible to know past, present, future, and all of the possibilities in between at once? (Even the last word of that question is time-oriented.) Yet, this is who God is--the one who inhabits eternity--in fact, the One in whom eternity resides. This is too great and wonderful a concept for my finite mind to grasp. It is difficult sometimes to accept, but I believe!!!!

How will my life reflect my belief--my understanding--that God inhabits eternity? I think my life must begin to take on a perspective that realizes this is not all there is. There is more--much more--that only my spiritual being is able to abide in. Therefore, I must honor and nurture that spiritual being--I must continually dwell in the presence of God as I go about the passage through time on this earth.

Most Holy and eternal God, keep me always in your presence. Draw me closer to you with each passing day of this sojourn in time.

Q3. Meditate on the phrase "High and Lofty One who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy...." (Isaiah 57:15, RSV). What do you learn about God from this phrase? How should this affect your outlook on life, your way of conducting yourself?

:P God is the highest, And we should always rememeber that, at all times, upon are wake up in the morning, during the day, at night. all the time

[b]Q3. Meditate on the phrase "High and Lofty One who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy...." (Isaiah 57:15)

What do you learn about god from this phrase?

God is higher than anything! There is not enough praise we can give, not enough words to describe the One and only, perfect and holy, Almighty God. He is eternal, having no beginning and no end, He is from everlasting to everlasting. He dwells in heaven and He also is with those who are crushed and humble. He wants to renew the spirit of those who are humble.

How should this affect your outlook on life, your way of conducting yourself?

Understanding who God is has given to me a new outlook on life. Because He is high and lifted up, above all things, and because He is holy, it is important I take His Word seriously, hide it in my heart and meditate on it, for it is there I can understand what pleases Him, who is holy.

When I do this, I am able to see how far I have fallen, my heart becomes crushed as I see how far away I have gone from not pleasing Him: And yet, He is there wanting to bring me up, and change this heart of mine. He who is holy wants to have fellowship with me.

God, change those areas that do not please you and fill me with your holiness, so my praise for you, will be seen in my life.

My love for Your Son is true, and I am thankful to You for giving Him to me as my Bridegroom, I want my life to show you holy One, how thankful I am for all you have done for me. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

To me the phrase says that there is no one or anything that is higher and mightier than our God. He is everything. There is no creature to be compared to Him. There is none like Him. When we call Him Father, we are to show reverence to Him, He is our Creator. This affect's my life in a way that I know He help's me to be humble and He gives us courage to keep going, to keep following Him, He is our life, our eternal life. Without Him we are nothing. He teaches me to walk in His love and understanding. To let His light shine through me.

I realize how unworthy I am for his love and offer of His son's life. I realize that He has not end, yet I am mortal, and one day I will reach the end of my time on this earth. That I am not holy, with sin, weaknesses of the flesh do as Paul stated the things that I ought not, and find it hard to do the things I should do. That I am to seek Him, and follow his word, that I am to be holy, so I need to call upon the Holy One to assist me in my walk on this earth to be changed into the likeness of His Son.

God is above all others. Eternity is difficult for me to wrap my mind around, but God inhabits eternity. He has no beginning and no end. Wow! He is Holy and His name is Holy. He is worthy of our complete devotion. He is perfect in goodness and righteousness.

Reva

This whole passage and just the first line along High and Lofty one who lives in eternity. This fills me with a humble spirit as He is so powerful yet wants to save me and wants to have a relationship with me. That he wants to live with me and save me makes me sad that I have in the past thought that I was the better and yet he has shown me that he is the one in control of my life and that he is my shelter and my rock to stand on and my shepherd and savior.

High and Lofty shows that he is above all of us we should above all things exalt him and praise him and bring glory to his great name.

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. Meditate on the phrase "High and Lofty One who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy...." (Isaiah 57:15, RSV). What do you learn about God from this phrase?

I learn that He had no beginning and will have no end. He is eternal...has always been. (I love that I've been grafted into that never ending "circle" by the blood of Jesus...and will have no end) In v. 14 it says "Cast up, Cast up, prepare the way!" That reminded me that He not only LIVES in eternity, He inhabits the praises of His people, which draws Him into my presence as my praise and worship goes up to His throne. He's a relational God....not One Who remains aloof from His creation, but Who came in human form to redeem His lost creation...including me, Thank you Lord, I will praise You into eternity for saving me!

High and Lofty One....He is the One true God, above all man made gods, above all of His created works, and beings, human and otherwise. He is Supreme, Exalted...ALL honor and glory and wealth and power and majesty are His....He is Sovereign, Perfect..not enough words to describe Him, which is as it should be...if I could adequately describe or define Him, He wouldn't be God! The dictionary says of lofty: "Towering, imposing height, elevated in character, rank, spirit, language".

How should this affect your outlook on life, your way of conducting yourself?

My outlook should be positive, even when I fail, because He lives in me, and has promised victory in the end. I'm cocooned in His love, He is always present, so I have nothing to fear..(Lord, help me to remember that in the face of threatening circumstances, before the knee jerk reaction to be afraid!) His power is there to live the life He's called me to live, and that's the way I should and want to live and conduct myself....to bring Him honor and glory. Short of that, when I fall, to repent quickly and to live in forgiveness, extending the same to those who offend or wound me.....and with the joy of knowing I have eternity to look forward to with Him! :lol:

GOD is great and mighty to be praised and even beyond just praise into exaltation.

As I come to GOD with complete adoration for who He is and not what He does for me I can learn to truly enter

into His Holy presence and not just stand at the outer courts watching the priests enter in my behalf.

I can go myselg giving GOD complete honor and know that He is as high as high goes.

GOD is for all time and beyond as eternity never ends like a circle that has no begining or ending just keeps going aroun and around. GOD also is like that.

This effects my life outlook by teaching me that the holiness and perfection of GOD doesn't keep Him form being part of every day life and keeping in mind all of forever.

I should conduct myself in an manner that is glorifying to GOD Himself and not to take away from who He is and what He stands for.

• 1 month later...

LORD reigns for ever,He is eternal,and time factors can't measure HIM.

• 2 weeks later...

1st we see that He is alway was and always will be, that He is above us, and His Name is Holy, and we should remember that there is a difference between man and Our El'Elyon, and we should remember that we should exalt Him in our daily life by the way we lead our lives, living Holy unto Him, and being Holy as He is holy. That we should think on everything we say and do, for He sees all, knows all.

• 2 months later...

The phrase "who inhabits eternity" makes me think God does not just live in eternity but rather He possesses it, He fills it.

"Whose name is Holy" could be understood several ways. Holy means set apart, also sacred and consecrated. Meaning His name is set apart; His name is sacred, His name is consecrated. How blessed we are to be able to just say it. My hope is that I will not take His name for granted, but rather have a deep reverential respect for it.

This teaches me of Gods greatness and holiness how far removed from my life His life is but yet He cares for me and this is how I should be caring for my brothers and sisters. I need to be humble realising who God is and worship Him all the more which is my daily sacrifice of life.

As I meditate on the "High and Lofty One who inhabits eternity" I see the supremacy of the status of El Elyon when meditated on Most High I contemplated the thoughts of the things of this world which we put before God.

But High and Lofty One who inhabits eternity brings to mind not just that God is above my material things, but a God that is beyond all things that I can even imagine. Even at my greatest I could never fairly contemplate eternity because unlike God I am restricted by the limits of space and time. I can not perceive the future even though I may try to predict, I can not change the past even though I can know all there is to know about it. Only this moment can I have any thought of and in a second it gone. It is as if I am always living perpetually in the very recent past.

But El Elyon is not divisible by past present of future he inhabits eternity.

This When I think of high and lofty my mind project the image of a place where one is up high( physically) looking down on those that are below. If use to work for a lawyer that live on the 5th and 6th floor of this hotel the 6th floor was like a loft with room only around the perimeter. I remember how powerful I felt when I would walk from his computer room on the 6th floor onto the balcony that over look the 5th floor living area. Even though I was the only non-millionaire in the room, everyone that wished to speak with me had to look up tilting their head all the way back to see from that lofty position. I remember how belittling it felt when I had to look up to speak to someone stand high in the rafters.

To inhabit eternity to me is as if there is no point in time where an individual can be at any moment found. I would imagine that for God everything that will happen has already,while at the same time everything that is happening has already happened or will happen in the future. God is eternal having no beginning or end yet he know the all things that is that was and what come.

As i think of the High and Lofty God who inhabits eternity. i think of the position in that hotel house where I had to tilt my head back to speak to the people. and I contrast this with my position in prayer that even though i bend my knees to pray I still must still tilt my head all the way back to speak with our Most Holy God whose names is the most of holy

• 3 weeks later...

God is at the top. We aren't. But he still spends his thoughts on us. It's something I can't comprehend. When I have 3 hours of free time in any given day it's likely I'll spend it on sleeping, or playing. But God spends eternity on revealing Himself, talking to us, delighting in us... Since time has no meaning for him, he loves us indefinitely and for all.

The Lord is Holy. Holiness not something that exists apart from God. It's something from God. All "abstract" goods such as love, peace, joy... holiness... these cannot be defined without invoking God, because He is the source of all these things.

If I'd never seen this bible passage before, could I come up with God's name? Could I even conjure up a vague impression of what it is to be High, Lofty, Eternal, and Holy? This one name contains mysteries that man cannot solve in a lifetime.

What is it to be eternal and holy? To be the most high and lofty? Can we understand?

• 2 weeks later...

God is exalted above all the earth - there is no one higher than He. Therefore I must only worship Him, no one nor anything else. I need to be humble before Him, be cleansed of sin when I praise anmd worship Him and have the utmost reverance for Him.

• 4 weeks later...

What do you learn about God from this phrase? How should this affect your outlook on life, your way of conducting yourself?

This title reminds me once again about His dominion over all. I am reminded that He is everywhere at all times; that He is not bound by time or space like we are. I am reminded of an old church hymn that says..."Yahweh, I know you are near; standing always at my side. You guard me from the foe and you lead me in ways everlasting.....Lord, you have searched my heart and you know when I sit and when I stand..."

Also, this title gives me a sense of peace knowing that I have nothing to fear since He is ruler of all.

The message for me is that I need to submit myself to Him daily and bring glory to His name.

• 5 weeks later...

"High and Lofty One who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy..." means that God is High above all things in heaven and in earth. The High and Lofty One is called Holy, because He is the Supreme Power. He is greater than all things because He is our Creator, therefore he has to know more and be greater than we are. We must live our lives in a way the magnifies and glorifies God not ourselves. :huh:

• 4 weeks later...

God is very high, He is far above all, He is exalted and He is Holy and eternal. Yet He delights in His children who are imperfect, lowly, mortal and limited. I always remind myself that I am created to His image, which means that His will for me is to be like His son, therefore I meed to ask the Holy Spirit to help me live the life He called me to, and to reflect His image to all people around me, so they can be attracted to Him and glorify Him.