JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. The Living God

Q4. (1 Samuel 17:26, 36; Hebrews 10:31) How do you think David's understanding of the Living God enabled him to challenge Goliath? Read Hebrews 10:31 in context. Why should the Living God inspire fear and dread?

David understood that you cannot defy God or God's chosen people and get away with it. He knew God had helped him fighting lions and bears for the protections of his sheep as shepherd. So he believed that God would deal with the Philistines defying God and his people.

1 Samuel 17:26b:

"Who is this pagan Philistine anyway, that he is allowed to defy the armies of the living God?"

David emphasized LIVING God here as opposed to the dead pagan gods. In this he was expressing that the pagan gods do not stand a chance against the Living God of Israel.

Hebrews 10:31

The Living God inspires fear and dread because:

- He is the living God, not a man made idol.

- He says, "I will take revenge. I will pay them back." He also said, "The LORD will judge His own people."

- He is all powerful. Nothing and no one equals him.

- For the unbeliever/sinner it is terrible to fall in the hands of God.We can read why in the Book of Revelation. Read about all the punishments/suffering/plagues coming their way. And after that there is the "Lake of Fire" for eternity.

I have heard this said:

Everyone lives forever. Every single one is resurrected at some point. It is just a matter of location. We can be either with God (those resurrected with Jesus, who visited Jerusalem for a time; those resurrected at the rapture...). Or we are away from the presence of God for eternity (those resurrected after the 1,000 year kingdom of Jesus on earth who have to appear before the Great White Throne).

At the moment the choice is still ours. But if we put it off for too long, then the choice will be made for us. And "It is a terrible thing to fall into the hands of the living God." :( .

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (1 Samuel 17:26, 36; Hebrews 10:31) How do you think David's understanding of the Living God enabled him to challenge Goliath? Read Hebrews 10:31 in context. Why should the Living God inspire fear and dread?

David fought the lion and the bear. He realized it was through the power of God; Yahweh. Now if God worked through David to kill a lion and a bear, and God is

• 2 weeks later...

David understood that the God he served was no dead idol but a living, caring, God who defends His children. Even though it appeared that David was no match physically for Goliath, he knew that his strength came from God and not from his own might.

It is dreadful for those who oppose God. The Amplified translation says, "It is a fearful (formidable and terrible) thing to incur the divine penalties and be cast into the hands of the living God!" Those who follow God and His commands have nothing to fear. Because God is everlasting, His is the final judgment. He knows right from wrong even when we may pretend not to. We cannot hide our iniquities from God, as He sees all.

David new that Goliath was not one of the people of God. So he knew that God was on his side and He drew his strength From Him(God Almghty.). For if you choose not to follows what His Word says you will be judged and face the second death. For those that Believe the Jesus was the Mesiah crucified and punished for our sins have been delivered from the second death. So if you do not fear or reverence the Living God now you will face the judgement of the second death and be put in the lake of fire.

• 6 months later...

David believed in the overwhelming power of the Living God -- the Most God, Creator of heaven and earth.

It is a very bad thing to do in mocking God. God will punish His people to discipline them and truly to fall into the hands of the Living God -- the God that Has all power in hands -- is a fearful thing.

• 2 weeks later...

David already had relationship with the living God. David gave God all the glory, he knew who his protector was. He knew the Almighty God and knew that the same God would deliver the philistine who blasphemed God. He knew it was God's battle and that the Lord would prevail.

1 Samuel 17:37 Moreover David said,

• 3 weeks later...

David had personally experienced the saving power of God before his confrontation with Goliath. As a shepherd he had fought off lions and wolves with God

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

David knew God even during his tendering of the sheep of his father in the veld. His conquests in detroying the lion and the bear that came to eat his father's sheep made him realise that he did not just do that in his own strength but by the power of the Holy God. Thus this inspired him to challenge Goliath, who in this case was a mere human being whom David despised also for his abusing the name of his God.

As the Almighty God Who is everything, the First and the Last, then it really is a fearful thing to fall into His hands because His is a consuming Fire.

• 4 weeks later...

I think David's faith allowed him to face the giant, knowing that a) the Living God would protect him, or B) if he died, the Living God would protect his soul. I may be stretching a bit when I suggest this, since there is no evidence that David believed in an afterlife. At the least, he knew that Yahweh had the ability to do anything he wanted and David could rest knowing, as long as he stayed in his will, he would be covered one way or another.

As far as Hebrews is concerned, I defer to the Jameson commentary:

31. fearful . to fall into the hands-It is good like David to fall into the hands of God, rather than man, when one does so with filial faith in his father's love, though God chastises him. "It is fearful" to fall into His hands as a reprobate and presumptuous sinner doomed to His just vengeance as Judge (Heb 10:27).[/i][/i][/b]

• 1 month later...

Q4. 1Sa 17:25 And the men of Israel said, Have ye seen this man that is come up? surely to defy Israel is he come up: and it shall be, that the man who killeth him, the king will enrich him with great riches, and will give him his daughter, and make his father's house free in Israel.

1Sa 17:26 And David spake to the men that stood by him, saying, What shall be done to the man that killeth this Philistine, and taketh away the reproach from Israel? for who is this uncircumcised Philistine, that he should defy the armies of the living God? and Heb 10:31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

How do you think David's understanding of the Living God enabled him to challenge Goliath?

David knew his God was a living God, not like the other gods of wood or stone. Those gods did not

put fear in David's heart, for they have no power; But David's God is powerful!

He is a God that lives forever, no man should ever want to fall into His

hands for the purpose of punishment, as the word fearful means here.

David had "faith" in his God and looked forward to His saving them.

Read Hebrews 10:31 in context Why should the Living God inspire fear and dread?

Because God is all powerful, He lives forever and punishment is in His hand.

Because He is a righteous God, He will inflict just punishment when He pleases!

Without God's wrath there would be no need for His mercy.

He showed us His mercy when He sent His Son to save us from His wrath, that will one day

come to mankind.

Yes, fear God, except His plan of salvation. I did and my heart is full of thankfulness

for His love and mercy, and I am looking forward to the day my Bridegroom

will bring me, before Him, at the wedding feast!

The question is, does mankind fear God, are they ready to be brought before the living God to be judged?

Or has mankind rejected God's mercy? Do they understand they will stand before Him, naked, without righteousness

to clothe them with?

All I can say is, "what a horrible time that will be for many people, those who do not fear God." :ph34r:

• 1 month later...

David knew his Lord, he had the faith in God that would lead him through any battle. He knew that the Lord was with him, and he trusted the Lord completely. His faith relied on the Lord's word and promises. We should have the fear of God because He is a just God. His judgement will be true and harsh for those that do not know Him. For the Christian, we have to realize that we will be judged for the wrong doing that we do, we need to plead the blood of Jesus and keep our sins under His blood.

• 2 weeks later...

David's understanding of the Living God enabled him to challenge Goliath because he knew that God was most certainly alive and with him that very moment, and that, because He is all powerful, He would enable David to emerge victorious, in God's name, of course. The Living God should inspire fear and dread because He is always there, as He is alive, and we cannot escape whatever He would do to us.

Oh, for the faith of a child! David was not much more than a child when he challenged Goliath.

1. David did not believe in his own ability to face the giant.

2. David did not believe in Saul's armour to defeat the giant.

3. David believed in the ability of God to win the battle.

David already had a history with God. God had helped his fight off wild animals while David was tending sheep. Each time we witness the power of God our faith increases. David believed in a living, personal God.

Reva

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (1 Samuel 17:26, 36; Hebrews 10:31) How do you think David's understanding of the Living God enabled him to challenge Goliath?

David had experienced God's Presence and help in the sheepfold, when he killed the lion and the bear. How much more would God intervene when His people were being humiliated by the taunts of an enemy. He recognized that the Living God, lives AMONG us and was Present to assist him in his battle with Goliath and a victorious outcome.

I love that he spurned the armor of Saul, and relied only on God and the slingshot he used to kill the lion and the bear!

Read Hebrews 10:31 in context. Why should the Living God inspire fear and dread?

Those who spurn and reject the living God will have to face judgement without the covering and cleansing of the blood of His Son Jesus, whom they've trampled underfoot. The lake of fire for eternity is indeed a frightening and dreadful end (though God doesn't send anyone there....they choose it through their rejection of His Way of escaping the second death). It is the divine penalty for their choice.

Thank God, for the believer, "Perfect love casts out fear".

I believe that David had determined in his heart to follow God and trust Him in all things. This had become "second nature" to David....so much so that when he saw the Phillistines and their "token fighter", Goliath, his first thought was what is recorded that he said. I think that he may have only momentarily been frightened...but then his mind responded to what his heart knew.....the Living God was with the armies of the Israelites. So, David's comment was based on his true faith in the Living God. His faith rose up and he said something that many would think was foolishness in view of the circumstances....but that David spoke out of his heart of faith. Then he acted on his faith!!!

Hebrews 10:31----- Our sin(s) are taken care of by Jesus Christ..... but God will discipline those who intentionally sin against Him and refuse to repent. So...God will take vengence. The following is the first scripture that I ever memorized: Heb 10:35-36 Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward. For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise. So......keep your life clean and clear before your loving and merciful God..and keep your faith in Him strong.

David knew his GOD was alive and greater than all things?obsticles, like getting beat up when you are little and going to get your big brother to help you knowing he would be able to win the battle, David had extreme confidence in the living GOD as opposed to the empty hoe that was in the idols.

this implies to me/us as obsticles/giants tend to enter into our lives, as long as we stay focused on GOD alive and well working all things to our good and not on the problem presented before us we too can be victorous.

As i/we stand in awe of our living GOD and in His unconditional, neverending, undying, love, mercy, and grace we must also recognize that we can't take these charicheristics of GOD for granted. Just doing whatever we want to. We are accountable for our actions/reactions, deeds and words, to others.

I/we have to be reminded that GOD does get angry and we sould remember that His wrath destroyed whole towns and cities (Sodom & Gomora) because of sin. I for one don't want GOD to deal with me in His anger or wrath. however just knowing that GOD also has that side of Him helps me to stay focused on things I should be doing to glorify Him not to disgrace Him.

Not that GOD always punishes me/us for our faults or even bad choices and sin but to know that if we continue to do something after GOD has instructed us to change might bring about some of His anger and or wrath.

• 4 months later...

How do you think David's understanding of the Living God enabled him to challenge Goliath?

David knew his God was not dead like the idols, but was indeed "living". He knew that he knew that he knew this to be true. He had absolute trust.

Read Hebrews 10:31 in context. Why should the Living God inspire fear and dread?

Because this "God thing" is no joke. He is real. Heaven is real. hell is real. And we will be held accountable in our decision to follow the Son of God or not.

• 3 weeks later...

When David said Asked "Who is this uncircumcised Philistine that he should defy the armies of the living God?" he was doing a number of things First he was bringing into the awareness of the Israel army that unlike the Philistines they serve a real God one who is able to rescue them from their troubles. Second He was letting them know that this man Goliath,had disgraces the army of Israel, and the Name of God and he was under a curse and subjected the the wrath of God

Hebrew 10:30 says "Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord." the Amplified bible says "It is a fearful (formidable and terrible) thing to incur the divine penalties and be cast into the hands of the living God!" and young David knew that the wrath of the living God, the hand of Him whom belongs vengeance, would be recompensed through him concerning Goliath.

David knew that if he did not fear God, it would be a terrible thing if he fell into the hands of an angry God. David had a deep reverence and respect for God. He knew that God desired clean hearts so he walked in the way of righteousness when He sought God's help, kn owing that God would hear when he called out to Him. God inspires fear and dread in a sense of awe and reverence we give Him because He is a holy God and also because we were created to revere Him.

• 3 months later...

David understood that Gos is a living God who dwells among His people and who interacts with them. He also understood that He is almighty and omnipotent and no one can defeat Him.

The living God inspires fear because sooner or later He will judge all people. Being a just and fair God He will punish the sins of the sinners; so if the sinner has not been redeemed by the blood of the Lamb then he will have to take the punishment of his sins which is eternal death.

• 4 months later...

How do you think David's understanding of the Living God enabled him to challenge Goliath? Read Hebrews 10:31 in context. Why should the Living God inspire fear and dread?

I think David's understanding of God was one of complete and total acceptance of God's all mighty power. David knew that he knew that he knew the Philistines could not defeat the armies brought there God, no matter what earthly superiority they possessed. David had grabbed that peace that passes all understanding and stepped out to where he knew God would be. So the responsibility lays with us as Christians to know God, know about Him, know what He wants from us. God has drawn a definite line in the sand. If we are not for Him, we are against Him...there is no inbetween...and after that, the judgement.

• 1 month later...

The Israelitess were thinking: o, those Philistines are stronger than we are, they have better weapons, Goliath is so strong.

David was thinking: o, God is stronger then those Philistines, He has better weapons, God is so strong.

It's in verse 47: the battle is the Lords.

If God wants us to live, we live and if God wants us to die, we die.

Hebrews also tells us that if He is with us, we don't fear what men can do to us.

• 4 months later...

Names of God: Lesson 3

Q4. (1 Samuel 17:26 - 36; Hebrews 10:31) How do you think David's understanding of the Living God enabled him to challenge Goliath? Read Hebrews 10:31 in context. Why should the Living God inspire fear and dread?

(1 Samuel 17:26 - 36); 26

• 2 months later...

Q4. (1 Samuel 17:26, 36; Hebrews 10:31)

How do you think David's understanding of the Living God enabled him to challenge Goliath? Read Hebrews 10:31 in context.

Why should the Living God inspire fear and dread?

David had previous first-hand personal experiences of the power of God. He experienced this when God working through him allowed him to defend his flock against a lion and a bear. So he could, with full confidence, face Goliath armed only with five smooth stones, a sling, a staff, and the power of the Living God!

We know God will judge His people, and no one will escape judgment. However, those of us who put our trust in Jesus will find a God of grace and mercy. Because of His Son