JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Potter and Clay

Pastor Ralph

Considering the initial state of the pot, that it was dirt, dust; it was walked on having little value to anyone. The pot has worth due to the work of the Potter. The pot needs to see that the Potter has done a tremendous thing to make the pot something useful and not try and tell the potter he/she needs to do things differently.

Christians react the same way when we complain that we are not the way we wish we were; we should have been taller, thinner, prettier, or born into a different family; basically complaining about anything God has done or not done for us because we think we would be more effective. It is the same thing that Moses did when he saw the burning bush. He thought God picked the wrong type of guy for the job.

The better attitude and behavior is to realize where God brought us from and understand where He is bringing us to, is so much farther then where we truly deserve to be. We need to praise Him for working in our lives rather than complain that He

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first thing I get from this passage is that it's a real rebuke to me. Purpose and motivation have been of concern to me a lot lately, and I think I've asked why much more than I should be. The metaphor of God as The Potter is such an beautiful picture, and so complete--from what we're made of, to the process, to the variation in shapes/uses. The confusion comes with the fact that we are living pots. Often we think we would better as a different shape, or be better off in a different place. Sometimes we don't even know what shape we are. Still, we need to find peace in the fact that our omnipotent, all-knowing maker is shaping us to perfection, and knows the perfect place to put us in life. We also need to remember that we are here to serve the purposes of The Potter, and He is not here to serve our purposes. Also, The Potter is always testing the quality of His creation, to see which are best to use for certain things. He will use those whom He has tested and found worthy.

In the King James Version, Isaiah 45:9a reads: Woe unto him that striveth with his Maker! Let the potsherd strive with the potsherds of the earth.

I found it interesting that this version does not simply state that man is just a potsherd among countless others, but it says that man should strive with other men, rather than with God. I seems that this striving would not be in the sense of fighting, so much as in the sense of debating or persuading others who still are striving with thier Maker, and then only to show them their purpose, which is to serve their Maker.

Jer 18:4-6 And the vessel he was making of clay was spoiled in the potter's hand, and he reworked it into another vessel, as it seemed good to the potter to do. Then the word of the LORD came to me: "O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter has done? declares the LORD. Behold, like the clay in the potter's hand, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel.

Q1. (Isaiah 45:9-12) Why is it ridiculous for a pot to second-guess the Potter? How do we Christians do this? What is a better attitude and behavior before our Creator?

Literally, a pot does not even have a mouth, so how can it talk back at the potter, :-). The potter is in full control and he makes whatever he wants to make. The pot has no influence whatsoever on the making. The potter is almighty, in total control, even to the point where he throws away or breaks or pounds the pot again, because he does not like what he has made.

As Christians, we are pots in the hands of the potter, God our Creator. He has created the universe according to his will. We have had no influence in the making of ourselves. God made us the way He wanted to make us. God could even throw us away because He does not like what He has made. But we know that God when He made man said, "It is very good!" He really liked what He had made, :-).

Sometimes we Christians are not very happy with how we have been made and we start grumbling and complaining to God, "Why have You made me like this?" We even come up with suggestions to God on how to reshape us. But God's answer is, "What I have made, I have made!"

God creating us and the way He has done this makes predestination in this sense true. We did not have a vote or a choice in the creation process. However, God DID create us with a free will. A free will with which we are able to choose him or not to choose him. Adam and Eve chose. Joshua chose. In all dispensations of time, past, presence and future, mankind has free will. Mankind can choose to serve God or to serve whatever other god or gods.

But as far as creation is concerned, how God created us, fashioned us in the womb, there is no choice for us.

We just know that God has created us the way HE wanted to create us. But we also know that God said, after creating/forming/fashioning us, "It is very good!"

The better attitude is to trust and obey God.He know why He has made us the way we have been made by him. And again, He said: "It is very good!"

If God says it is very good, who is going to argue with him? Trust and obedience are the way to go. And being content:

Philippians 4:11-13

Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.

I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need.

I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.

P.S.

This part has nothing to do with the actual question, but I just had to put it here. I am sorry if this offends anyone reading this.

I took the liberty to change something in the text of this Bible Study. Ralph Wilson speaks of Palestine. That was the name the Romans gave to Israel to wipe the memory of it and of the Jews (the people of God!!!) off the face of the earth.

God called the land "Israel", not "Palestine"!

The Romans did not succeed in wiping the memory of the land Israel and the Jews off the face of the earth. They tried hard, but the Jews have lived on and still exist, as they have survived many sufferings, the holocaust being the worst of them.

In 1948, as a fulfillment of many Old Testament prophecies, the Jews came back to Israel (and still more are coming back, e.g. from Russia) and the state of Israel was proclaimed. The land again got the name God had given to it.

In the 50 or so years after this declaration, God has fought for Israel, on Israel's side in several wars, preserving the land Israel from being wiped off the earth again.

In the 1,000 year Kingdom, when Jesus will rule on the throne of David in Jerusalem (the present day, physical city of Jerusalem) all believers will be living with Jesus, as his bride.....yes indeed, in Jerusalem, in Israel. That is what I believe.

Let us call Israel by its God-given proper name, ISRAEL!!!! Not by its Romans-given name Palestine.

God bless you all and keep you

:-)

• 2 weeks later...
Q1. (Isaiah 45:9-12) Why is it ridiculous for a pot to second-guess the Potter? How do we Christians do this? What is a better attitude and behavior before our Creator?

Not only is it ridiculous for us to question our Creator, it is sinful. Who are we to dare question our Father about how He made us? He is perfect, all-knowing, and all-seeing. We can barely make it through the day sometimes without major catastrophies, and we dare to whine and complain to God that He didn't do a better job when He created us. No wonder we feel sometimes that God isn't listening to us and that our prayers are going unanswered. When my child whines and complains I turn a deaf ear to the complaint. Whining is ungratefulness, disobedience, and a lack of faith in God.

Instead, we should bring praise to God whatever our circumstances. It's OK to ask God about our situation as long as we maintain an attitude of thankfulness. But when we start thinking we know better than God how to fix a situation, we have crossed the line and need the forgiveness that can only come from our Creator.

it is ridiculous because the potter is designing the pot for perfection. The potter designs and makes sure that the pot is well shaped and complete. We tend to blame God for our short comings and things that go wrong in our lives when it really is the choices we make not what He has made for us. It will make me better by being thankful that my Creator has made me complete and each day that I walk in His Obedience He is making me more in His image more Perfect,

• 1 month later...

The Creator God is the First Cause of all creation. The proper noun, Potter, indicates an inventive and creative position--a position of action that brings the non-existent into being according to His will. Therefore, every created item is different and unique, formed by the Yasar. How, then, can I, a pot, a physical creation have the audacity to question the Yasar, the Eternal First Cause?

I, a Christian, a daughter of the Most High, can second-guess the Yasar, in a number of ways by:

1. Traveling a path that I believe is right, without submitting the path in prayer and asking for guidance.

2. Questioning my existence on this earth in a negative manner. To paraphrase a colloquial statement, "God doesn't make trash."

3. Being disobedient and, thus, grieving the Holy Spirit.

Submissiveness and a child-like trust in our Creator/Saviour is the better attititude and behaviour. Such traits are not week, but powerful, helping to shore up our defensive walls against fiery darts, doubts, and corrosive poisons seeping through cracks, eventually rendering us exhausted, damaged, and defenseless.When I ask myself what can I learn from a set of circumstances, I'm putting myself within the filtering and caring hand of the Lord, who never leaves nor forsakes me.

• 4 months later...

The pot has no control over the potter and doesn't see the big picture.

True Christians permit God, our potter, to mold, shape, and form us into the image of Son, Jesus Christ. We need to have a positive, open, and willing attitude toward God while He is shaping us into the image of Son. This is a good thing! We need to submit our wills to Him and abandon ourselves to Him.

• 1 month later...

For the created work to question its Creator is ridiculous because it was created for His purpose and would not exist except for Him. I think that as Christians we do this by questioning why God sends certain people or circumstances into our lives. God is using them to form us the way He wants and for the purpose He wants. A better attitude would not be asking Why? But How do you want to change me through this experience?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The clay or pot must and cannot second-guess the potter because its like the potter has made a mistake. It is telling God you forgot to create something on me which would have made me look better. It is highly unlikely that a real clay potter can talk to its maker, but we people do question God's decisions. Sometimes Christians grumble when they see calamity in their lives, when we see problems piling up, when our plans are not successfully carried out the way we plan, we start saying that God is not fair. We need to learn to ask ourselves: What would happen if one day the whole earth pots wake up one day and stand infront of people and argue their case? Won't we say this is really the end of the world? Of course because it is something that we do not think that it can happen. The same with us to God, He does not expect us to question His decisions and let's learn to accept everything that comes to our lives and await God's proper plan to take centre stage.

• 4 weeks later...

The Potter knows exactly what He had in mind when He created us. I want certain talents, gifts, abilities, etc., but I know that the ones I have came directl from God Himself.

People often think that they have no gifts or abilities and therefore think they have nothing to offer other people. Others are jealous of other people's gifs and abilities and think to themselves, Why couldn't I be more like so-and-so?" These are ways we show contempt for our Maker. We should be grateful and recognize our makeup and allow God to use us in the capacities He created us to be in.

• 5 weeks later...

Q1. (Isaiah 45:9-12 ) Why is it ridiculous for a pot to second-guess the Potter?

God is all powerful, the all sovereign God. We are subject to God. He created us. He demands

from us, that we live righteous lives, how dare we ever question His sovereignty!

Who do we think we are to ever question the God that sits upon the throne, who has everything

under His rule? Ridiculous for sure!

How do we Christians do this?

When we decide to do what ever we want to do. When we do not bring honor to God in the

way we live our lives, when we murmur against God and blame Him for all our problems instead

of living in "faith" putting our trust in Him.

What is a better attitude and behavior before our Creator?

Because we who put our trust in the all sovereign God, who loves us so much He sent His Son, we who

are in Christ, we are now God's workmanship, and our attitude should be one of great gratitude, and

that gratitude should be seen in living a life that would bring glory to the name of the Lord, an attitude

of love seen in striving to live a life of good works, which God ordained us to do.

Isa 60:21 Thy people also shall be all righteous: they shall inherit the land for ever, the branch

of my planting, the work of my hands, that I may be glorified.

Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before

ordained that we should walk in them. :unsure:

Literally, a pot does not even have a mouth, so how can it talk back at the potter, :-). The potter is in full control and he makes whatever he wants to make. The pot has no influence whatsoever on the making. The potter is almighty, in total control, even to the point where he throws away or breaks or pounds the pot again, because he does not like what he has made.

As Christians, we are pots in the hands of the potter, God our Creator. He has created the universe according to his will. We have had no influence in the making of ourselves. God made us the way He wanted to make us. God could even throw us away because He does not like what He has made. But we know that God when He made man said, "It is very good!" He really liked what He had made, :-).

Sometimes we Christians are not very happy with how we have been made and we start grumbling and complaining to God, "Why have You made me like this?" We even come up with suggestions to God on how to reshape us. But God's answer is, "What I have made, I have made!"

God creating us and the way He has done this makes predestination in this sense true. We did not have a vote or a choice in the creation process. However, God DID create us with a free will. A free will with which we are able to choose him or not to choose him. Adam and Eve chose. Joshua chose. In all dispensations of time, past, presence and future, mankind has free will. Mankind can choose to serve God or to serve whatever other god or gods.

But as far as creation is concerned, how God created us, fashioned us in the womb, there is no choice for us.

We just know that God has created us the way HE wanted to create us. But we also know that God said, after creating/forming/fashioning us, "It is very good!"

The better attitude is to trust and obey God.He know why He has made us the way we have been made by him. And again, He said: "It is very good!"

If God says it is very good, who is going to argue with him? Trust and obedience are the way to go. And being content:

Philippians 4:11-13

Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.

I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need.

I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.

P.S.

This part has nothing to do with the actual question, but I just had to put it here. I am sorry if this offends anyone reading this.

I took the liberty to change something in the text of this Bible Study. Ralph Wilson speaks of Palestine. That was the name the Romans gave to Israel to wipe the memory of it and of the Jews (the people of God!!!) off the face of the earth.

God called the land "Israel", not "Palestine"!

The Romans did not succeed in wiping the memory of the land Israel and the Jews off the face of the earth. They tried hard, but the Jews have lived on and still exist, as they have survived many sufferings, the holocaust being the worst of them.

In 1948, as a fulfillment of many Old Testament prophecies, the Jews came back to Israel (and still more are coming back, e.g. from Russia) and the state of Israel was proclaimed. The land again got the name God had given to it.

In the 50 or so years after this declaration, God has fought for Israel, on Israel's side in several wars, preserving the land Israel from being wiped off the earth again.

In the 1,000 year Kingdom, when Jesus will rule on the throne of David in Jerusalem (the present day, physical city of Jerusalem) all believers will be living with Jesus, as his bride.....yes indeed, in Jerusalem, in Israel. That is what I believe.

Let us call Israel by its God-given proper name, ISRAEL!!!! Not by its Romans-given name Palestine.

God bless you all and keep you

:-)

I love what you wrote, and was blessed by it. Thank you for bringing to our attention some very important facts about Israel, God's chosen people.

• 1 month later...

We, the pot, cannot mold or shape ourselves into what our Creator wants us to be. We have to have the Potter, our Creator, in order to become what we should. We are helpless without the Potter. As Christians, when we grumble and complain about what we have or who we are we are complaining against God. He made us in His image, He wants us to have and to be the best that we can. A better attitude is accept what God is doing in your life, face your trials with praise and worship and thanksgiving to God Almighty. He is shaping you into the vessel that He can use for His kingdom. When you come out of the fire, you will be reshaped and stronger than before.

The clay is without useful form. It is something to be trampled underfoot. The clay requires the potter to make it an object of value. The potter alone molds and shapes the clay into a vessel of value. Then it is displayed as a tribute to the potter (not a tribute to the clay).

As sinners with are without eternal value. The Holy Potter gives us our value. We are on display in the world as a tribute to our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Reva

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (Isaiah 45:9-12) Why is it ridiculous for a pot to second-guess the Potter?

The clay is a product of the Creator/Potter and has no ability to be anything but a lump of clay on its own. It's inconceivable for the clay to try to assume the role of the potter!

In our pride and arrogance we can forget that we are a lump of clay and try to assume the position of God....as Lucifer did and got thrown out of Heaven. We second guess God's will and wisdom at times when it doesn't suit us, as though we have more wisdom than He.

That of being a "pliable" lump of clay, willing to be shaped, molded, pounded, if needed to get rid of "bubbles" that will spoil the finished product when fired. That of humble submission to our Creator.

It's kind of funny now, but as a new believer in Christ I knew I was deeply flawed, so I sat down one day and told Him how to fix me...I took portions of different people's personalities that I admired and said I'd like to be like that. As I sat there He showed me in a vision, a little child on the floor with paste, scissors and paper, trying to form just the right paper doll from scraps. It was a precious and gentle correction for His new child...and one I've never forgotten....He's the "Architect and Builder"...not me. His plan is for me to be unique In Him, not a composite of other's qualities.

A pot would be stupid to criticize the Potter since a pot cannot make itself...it is made and should accept that the Potter did a great work (as all potters do)in creatively making the pot to serve a purpose and to have characteristics that fit the life of the pot.

Christians do this by being critical of themselves...comparing themselves with others......not right! God made the others to be as they are...and you to be as you are...for a purpose....so live for the purpose...look forward to serving the purpose.....be aware of service God opens for you to do and serve Him with gladness....He made you for that purpose. And, of course, NEVER forget the Great Commission....it is a purpose set out for all Christians. Once you start serving the Lord with abandon, you will be so blessed that you will wonder why you waited soooooo long!

• 2 weeks later...

nothing that is made has the intellegence of the maker, creator. designer. we are just vessles to be used by GOD for His purposes.

As a christian and nonchristians alike. seek paths that we feel will provide us with the most prosperity looking for material posessions and not kingdom principles. We ask why am i in this family why couldn't i have been born elsewhere. How come i don't have?, Why do they get?, continually crying for fairness and not appreciating the justness of our almighty GOD.

An attitude of thanksgivng and appreciation towards GOD is by far greater then grumbling and /or complaining all the time. GOD rains on the just and the unjust alike! We just have to remember that GOD doesn't allow us to take on any more than we can bear or tolerate. When things get difficult we should call upon and look towards GOD for help and or deliverance. Also remember GOD doesn't always remove the situations or circumstances alot of the time GOD brings us through them which makes us stronger and wiser. Remain humble esteeming others above yourselves. PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE!!!!!!!!!! at ALL times. in every circumstance.

• 4 months later...

Why is it ridiculous for a pot to second-guess the Potter?

Because the Potter is superior in all ways to the pot. And your right, it is ridiculous.

By berating ourselves, or wishing we were more like someone else. By not liking ourselves.

Acceptance of who God has made us to be and contentment in what He has gioven us to do. Also, faith to believe that what He has made truly is fearfully and wonderfully made.

• 3 weeks later...

God is the Creator, therefore we are subject to Him. When we second guess Him we are challenging Him and our pride causes our downfall in all of life's circumstances. We sometimes wish that God had given us a better life, with better opportunities and better circumstances. We may feel short-changed. We are not happy with who we are and criticise the way God made us. Our attitude should be one of complete submission to God, just as the clay in a potter's hands, because He continues to shape us into more beautiful characters if we allow Him to do this. Psalm 139 says that we are fearfully and wonderfully made. We should accept this.

• 7 months later...

(Isaiah 45:9-12) Why is it ridiculous for a pot to second-guess the Potter? How do we Christians do this? What is a better attitude and behavior before our Creator?

When a Potter begins his work, he has a specific design in mind. Maybe he needs a particular-type bowl or he sees in his cupboard that the number of cups is too low and needs more. In either case, the Potter has a plan to execute that the pot doesn't know about, from the very beginning. The pot would not even have been brought into existence if it hadn't been for the Potter's desire.

Ridiculous is for one who can only see the dishes on the table to say the kitchen holds too many cups. We don't have the whole picture...and we won't, not on this earth. As Christians, we have our own ideas on where we would most like to be used. Maybe, we don't want to be on a table where people will slober all over us and get us dirty but on the counter, where we can be better admired without all the mess. Or, perhaps we are fashioned as a bowl, but believe the cups are prettier and more useful. God chose, on purpose, to make us just as He did...warts and all. Questioning Him on why only wastes energy & time and keeps our focus off our true purpose: seeing every experience as a means to know Him better.

• 1 month later...

Because a pot can't talk, I should say.

But the meant answer is: a potter is superior to the pot so the pot doens't have anything to say.

The same is true for us and God.

We should be grateful for who we are.

If He gives us a disease or handicap, we should believe this fits into His plan.

We don't complain we would have preferred to be born in another country, in another era, in another famliy,...

• 1 month later...

Second-guessing, resisting the potter would make it harder for the potter to form the clay into the desired vessel. Clay that is malleable is ideal. I know I do and have done this often- I've gone through times where I've doubted or tried to hide the dreams, desires, thoughts and feelings God placed inside of me- seeing them as inferior to others' thoughts/feelings/dreams, sometimes figuring that mine must be wrong if they were different or didn't fit the usual "mold":). A better attitude is that of knowledge of the way we have been made- strengths and weaknesses. When we know them and see them used we can better appreciate the way God has made us and the way He has made others. Trusting God in confidence.