JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q25. Dwelling Place for God

Q4. (Ephesians 2:22) What is the significance that your congregation was made to be "a dwelling place for God in the Spirit"? What hinders that from being fully experienced? What can you do to help that become more fully experienced and appreciated?

What is the significance that your congregation was made to be "a dwelling place for God in the Spirit"?

That we all come together in unity and worship the Lord as one in spirit and in truth.

What hinders that from being fully experienced?

When we come we need to come with a clear mind to worship him. But most times we go in with our minds cluttered, or maybe we are mad at someone. Both keep us from true worship.

What can you do to help that become more fully experienced and appreciated?

We can pray for the Holy Spirit to change our hearts and to remove anything that would keep us from worshiping like we should. :rolleyes:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Ephesians 2:22) What is the significance that your congregation was made to be "a dwelling place for God in the Spirit"? What hinders that from being fully experienced? What can you do to help that become more fully experienced and appreciated?

Being a Christian requires collective worship and a church which acts together as a congregation in its community. For God's Word to abound in the community, the church must be an envigorating energetic organisation. Lack of enthusiasm, failure to use of God-given talents and the gifts of the Holy Spirit and petty dissensions hinder the church from being fully the expression of God's dwellingplace. It will be experienced if everyone gave their energy, efforts and gifts towarsd it, putting pride and pettiness aside and, instead, really actively loved their neighbours and members of their congregation. The enemy is half-heartedness which saps our enjoyment and undermines our efforts. The greater our effort, purpose and enthusiasm, the more the power of God will work in our congregation. In short put self aside and really start to use the gifts God gave me for the community in which I live: not a token effort...the full nine yards!

• 2 weeks later...

The dwelling place for God in the Spirit is created by Christians gathering together in God's name.

Human beings and the gossip, pride, and selfish acts prevent it from being fully experienced. I can help by being a good example and participating in the body of Christ.

• 3 weeks later...

As we join our spirits together corporately, we provide an environment in which the presence and Spirit of God can minister. However, in our humanity, many times we allow petty differences to build stumbling blocks between us. This hampers the work of the kingdom. As we always walk in love and forgiveness (being as ready to forgive and love others in their weaknesses as we want them to love and forgive us) we thwart the interference of the enemy, Satan and maintain an atmosphere that is pleasing to God. In this atmosphere the ministry of the kingdom can flourish and we can accomplish all for which the Father has created us.

• 2 weeks later...

Our congregation as the dwelling place of God means that whenever we pray god is surely present to listen to us. But more than this, the presence of God in our congregation is an assurance that we do not publicly worship in vain. The heart of worship is to experience the presence of God. among the factors that hinder the experiencing of God's presence are the unwillingness of a member to open his heart to God during worship, and the failure to focus on the purpose of worship which is to feel God's presence in the tabernacle. What can I we do about this difficulties? I think the church member should spend more time contemplating Christ through prayers and Bible study. He should learn to respond to Christ's invitation.

• 1 month later...
Q4. (Ephesians 2:22) What is the significance that your congregation was made to be "a dwelling place for God in the Spirit"? What hinders that from being fully experienced? What can you do to help that become more fully experienced and appreciated?

When we come together as christians we create a dwelling place for God.

When we do not come to church, and do not fellowship with other christians.

Come together with my church family and show love to one another.

• 3 weeks later...
(Ephesians 2:22) What is the significance that your congregation was made to be "a dwelling place for God in the Spirit"? What hinders that from being fully experienced? What can you do to help that become more fully experienced and appreciated?

Being a Christian requires collective worship and a church which acts together as a congregation in its community. For God's Word to abound in the community, the church must be an envigorating energetic organisation. Lack of enthusiasm, failure to use of God-given talents and the gifts of the Holy Spirit and petty dissensions hinder the church from being fully the expression of God's dwellingplace. It will be experienced if everyone gave their energy, efforts and gifts towarsd it, putting pride and pettiness aside and, instead, really actively loved their neighbours and members of their congregation. The enemy is half-heartedness which saps our enjoyment and undermines our efforts. The greater our effort, purpose and enthusiasm, the more the power of God will work in our congregation. In short put self aside and really start to use the gifts God gave me for the community in which I live: not a token effort...the full nine yards!

This says is so well. I'll just add my "ditto" on this one. Thanks Steve!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

you know, i'm sure glad that jesus rose from the dead. not just his head, but his body as well. i'm sure that would of freaked the first disciples out who went to the burial site and just found his body with no head. only the head was able to ascend to the father. now thats pretty silly right? but sometimes we act as though it really happened that way. look, the body can't function without the head. we really must take a look as to reason we go to church. ihe wasn't so shallow to give his life for us, so we ought naught to be so shallow in giving all, everything back to him in praise, honor, thankfulness, time talents and tithes.whatever it takes, i will be one, who lives in the fresh newness of life,of those who are alive from the dead, whatever the cost

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

A congregation of believers is meant to be a dwelling place for God. If we don't attend Church we are missing out on so many blessings that God desires us to attain.Sometimes past hurts and putting people on high pedastals can put us in rocky situations where we don't trust anymore and therefore lose the love of God's church. In order to continue to attend church and be a part of God's community it's important to realize that everyone is struggling with who they are just as much as we are and to accept them and move on.

• 11 months later...

The church is made up of the people of God, whatever the background, nationality, culture, we are as one family in God. It is amazing when you meet brothers and sisters for the first time, for you know immediately that you are one in Spirit. Hinderance of this is because of unbelief, unrepentance and living a christian life without Christ in the centre. We must individually look to our Saviour, love Him more, trust Him and obey Him as we grow in knowledge of Him, then so the love of Jesus radiates from our lives.

• 3 months later...

The main thing for these questions is the main thing. That means total surrender to Christ and be listening and available to hear and do what God's commands. The biggest problem we have as humas is that we are human beings with a fallen nature. Even though we accept Christ and his subsititutionary work on the cross we have a great tendancy to not allow God to have his way. We hinder our own blessings because of this. We have a tendancy to desire to be in charge of our lives. All aspects of our lives. We need to "Die to ones self, pick up our crosses daily and follow Chirst." The Only way for us to expierence and become fully appreciated it to step out of our "comfort zones" and step out in faith and dare to do something that you would not think of your self of doing. I'm born and raised in NYC, been a rebel, drunkard, womanizing sinner. I've joined my church, joined the men's ministry, work in my church any chance I get. Recently I started teaching an adult Sunday School Bible Class. This is definately out of what in my wildest imagination that I would be teaching a Bible Class. We serve an awesome God! Move out of your comfort zones, get involved. We will not only be judged on what we do with and for Chirst. We will also be judged on what we know and what we did with our time, talents and tithes.

• 1 month later...

foundation on which to build jesus christ is is the true foundation. the apostles and prophets have also been made pert of the foundation of christianity.

this was the purpose of doing away with the law that brought enmity and made the middle well of partition between jeas and gentiles God planned

to make of both classes one new man the church so making peace between all men.

the word for reconcile means to bring together again.

Jesus sacrificial work on the cross produced two things peace and accecc. peace is the inner assurance that all is right between humanity and God.

• 5 weeks later...

The signifcance that my congregation was made to be "a dwelling place for God in the Spirit" is that He is there, I need to be there too. Animosity towards individuals hinders that from being fully experienced. To help that become more fully experienced and appreciated, I can work on putting aside my differences with people and focus on God.

• 1 month later...

Q4. (Ephesians 2:22) What is the significance that your congregation was made to be "a dwelling place for God in the Spirit"?

It just happens, praise God, that our congregation is a dwelling place of God in the Spirit! It has changed my life and my worship. It's a multi cultural church made up of many races who love each other and get along because we love the Lord. After attending all white churches for years, I see that this church is what Heaven will look like...every nation and tongue and kindred, living in unity and love for the Lord and each other. When worship begins, the Lord's presence can be physically felt...and the tears of joy begin!. It is so awesome to be a member of this church!!!!

Because the Lord's presence is welcome, there are healings, deliverance, baptism in the Holy spirit, repentance, correction when needed, the entire Word of God is preached and taught...not just "feel good" sermons. I've been set free from bondages, demonic oppression, have had numerous physical healings....I can't say enough about how grateful I am to have been led to this amazing church! (Lee Grady, editor of Charisma magazine said in an article after becoming acquainted with our church, that it is a miracle! I agree!)

In other churches we attended, this was not the case. There was competition, and a fake unity, but also "exclusivity", and factions based on social status....I'm sure the Lord didn't feel welcome in any of those churches, and His presence could never be "felt", consequently, the gifts didn't operate...no healings, no deliverance, no fellowship.

My part is to see myself as a living stone.. a part of the larger "building"...and to make sure I'm not a "hangnail" on the body of Christ. To be there regularly, to worship with all my heart, to stay "cleansed" from sin, to practice acceptance of the different cultural backgrounds, to embrace all who come to worship. To pray for my brothers and sisters, and especially the Pastors and ministry team....(I feel convicted to pray more! thank you Pastor Wilson for this question especially)

• 1 month later...

Q4. (Ephesians 2:22)

What is the significance that your congregation was made to be "a dwelling place for God in the Spirit"?

Since the dwelling place of our Lord Jesus, is the congregation itself, we have to be united in our love for each other and in our worship of our Heavenly Father. The quickest way to suppress Christ's love is to be friendly with only those people that we like. We have to be united, one body, in spite of differences in race, colour, nationality, culture, language, and temperament. All our man-made divisions will be swept away when our Saviour returns. Eventually Jesus will knock down all these barriers and we will be all unified in one family.

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (Ephesians 2:22)

The church is the dwelling place for God in the spirit. The foundation are the apostles and the prophets, the chief cornerstone is Christ and the members or believers are "living stones".

We are not hermits or lone rangers; we should be with and love our brothers and sisters in the church.

Study God's word, pray, and fulfill God's purpose for my life.

• 9 months later...

4a)As we Christians we are family members of God

When we are gathered together in fellowship with our church family we are worshiping God in spirit and truth. While we are at Church we are there to feel Gods presence and for me I get a great feeling from my church family because we treat one another with love and frienliness is shown. That is what God wants to be in the midst of. He is love and that is what church is to be like. What hinders that is disputations and non fellowship in the church. Fellowship and getting to know the other believers in your church is very important. We are all sinners and reconciled by the grace of our Lord and savior so why not share with each other what He has done in our life and develope fienships with others.

• 4 months later...

My congregation brings the word of God to the people. We stay in his word and he will direct our path. There are people who come to church by habit and these are the ones who really need the word of God and how to live today by his word. It hinders when there is a click that wants to bring everything in the church house that they think is the way it is suppose to be instead of going to the Word and checking it out for themselves. We must continue to teach the word of God, live what we preach and sing about and God will do the rest.

• 6 months later...

The significance that your congregation was made to be "a dwelling place for God in the Spirit" is that we as Christians are meant to live in unity with other believers and fellowship with them.

What hinders that from being fully experienced is that when some people act as if they were "Lone Rangers" and isolate themselves from other believers, do not attend church or support the ministry, and parrot the unscriptural excuse they learned from the world, "You don't have to go to church to be a Christian."

What we can do to help that become more fully experienced is appreciated is to fellowship with the other believers in their locality.

The significance that your congregation was made to be "a dwelling place for God in the Spirit" is that we as Christians are meant to live in unity with other believers and fellowship with them.

What hinders that from being fully experienced is that when some people act as if they were "Lone Rangers" and isolate themselves from the other believers, do not attend church or support the ministry, and parrot the unscriptural excuse they learned from the world, You don't have to go to church to be a Christian."

What we can do to help that become more fully experienced and appreciated is to fellowship with the other believers in their locality.

• 3 weeks later...

We are meant to be in union with a church body so that we can grow spiritually & become mature Christians. We should be able to see the spirit of God working & moving in our churches.

People that are immature that are in leadership. To be a leader in a Church you should be a mature or taking steps to be a mature Christian. You should have a personal relationship with God.

Keep growing in faith & in the personal relationship with God. God will show you what needs to be done.