JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:P In these days of corporate mergers and take overs, we can apply our being in Christ as complete, willing yeilding by us to take over by Christ Jesus, to incorate us into His body and nature. All rules and regulations by which we played earlier are completly erased by the power of Holy Spirit and we are made new in Christ. This takeover is by His mere grace and mercy, not because of any effort by us. :D

For me "to be in Christ" is to imitate Jesus Christ of his fine qualities. To incorporate is to walk and be like Jesus.

In my life, the implications are abundant. I am humble, lowliness in mind, have a Christ like spirit, love my neighbors and enemies. I do not judge anyone because I am not to judge because the Scriptures say only God is the judge.

Q1. (Ephesians 1:3) What does it mean to you to be "in Christ" -- incorporated into Christ? What are the implications of this for your life?

Being in Christ - you can't get a closer relationship than that. I particularly agree with the definition of being "in close association with Him". I was in full-time vocational ministry for many years, and unfortunately I have seen concepts such as "under the control of" badly misused and misunderstood. Often people associate it with "control" in the abusive, authoritarian sense, which is completely contradictory to the scriptural teachings about being "set free by the Son of Man". God's love is often downgraded to something more like greedy conquest, which in turn downgrades responsive love and service to performance and forced labor. This controlling theology, though somewhat disguised, is very widespread and in some places even enshrined as doctrine.

Because this is so harmful to people's actual relationship with Christ, I tend to shy away from the language of control and lean toward the language of "influence". This is much more in line with the whole counsel of scripture, that is: to see Jesus as both God, and as your great friend who set you free from a deadly trap. Because he is God, I can trust that everything he counsels me with is good and right, and because he is the best of all possible friends, I have no doubt that he has my best interests at heart.

There is also the metaphysical, supernatural sense of being "in Him". I believe Paul was addressing both the "positional" truth of our being in Christ, as well as the incredibly comforting, intimate, personal spiritual experience of that position. As we all know, while the position never changes, our experience of it may vary widely. It seems to me that Paul ws clearly experiencing the rapturous joy of his position in Christ as he wrote these words.

When I think of incorporation in the business sense, i think about people coming together to form one company or unit. When you talk about being incorporated with Christ, i think about the protection and benefits that belong to me being under this incorporation. If I was out there on my own as a sole proprietor, I wouldn't have the protection of a corporation. Through Christ Jesus, I am under His covering which means I have the blessings of peace, love, etc. in my life.

We are in Christ because He has brought us a price beyond belief: He gave His life to save us and give us eternal salvation. We are the recipients of His grace and mercy. The only thing we are asked to do is to live our lifes as a testimony to Him who died for us. We can't buy, beg, sneak, or ride the coattails of anyone else to enter into the Kingdom. We must establish and maintain our, personal relationship with Him through the word and prayer/supplication.

Q1. (Ephesians 1:3) What does it mean to you to be "in Christ" -- incorporated into Christ? What are the implications of this for your life?

To be in Christ and what it means in my life is that it's who we are in Christ and not ourself. Who we are in Christ is NOT who we are in ourself.

I have stepped in Him...so I am clothed by Him, covered in Him, protected by Him and what I look like on the outside...is like Him. What people see is Him.

It is important to remain in Him, because if I step outside of Him, and sin, then I misrespresent Him. Then what people see will not be Him and I have grieved God more than in just the sin.

Kathy,

I really like what you wrote here. Never thought of being covered in Him, and when I sin stepping outside. I am going to keep that image with me.

Thanks,

Karen A.

What does it mean to me to be in Christ?What are the implications of it on my life?

It means to have that oneness with God and to live in obedience to Him.I know that He was the one who gave his life for me on Calvary and i know that i belong to Him.The implications are that i want to live for Him and not try to disappoint Him cause of that great sacrifice that He made for me.I owe him so much and i want to be chosen and stay on His path always

I believe it means that I am in Christ. I see through His eyes. I feel with His Heart. I touch others with His hands. I must put on Christ every day; like the full armor of God. It is no longer me that people see, but Him. Will I allow myself to be hidden? Yes! The implications are many. I have surrendered my heart, my soul, my mind, my strength to Him. I no longer do my will, but His will for me. All day, every day, these choices are before me. Will I be in Christ, or step out and do it on my own? What will I choose?

In Christ is I was dead to sin, a sinner. Christ died in my place, to cleanse me of all my sins. I have died and my life is now in Christ and Christ in me. (Colossians 3:3) In Christ I am a vessel HE dwelled in.

What are the implications of this for your life?

Christ's nature, character is now in me. In my human form, I am incapable to overcome the worldly nature / temptation. Being conscious, that I am now in Christ, in HIS strength, by HIS blood, Power I am strengthen & just yield, submit to HIM, to HIS nature & progressively learn to become more like HIM.

I have thought about this several times today. The answer that comes to my mind every time is something that I once told a friend shortly after I became a believer. "I want to be inside Christ." By that I meant I want to be hidden in Him so that nothing of me is seen by the world or the Enemy. If I am in Christ, then His presence is all that those around me can detect. If I am in Christ, satan cannot get to me because he would have to cross over that blood that was shed for me. I am free from his grasp FOREVER. What are the implications for my life? Now that Christ has given Himself for my salvation and protection, I am obligated to live my life in such a way as to bring honor and glory to His name. Whatever I do, whatever I say, wherever I go, all is for Jesus Christ alone. I have surrendered my life into His hands.

For me, to be "in Christ" means to be in the state of mind of Christ. To work towards becoming Christ-like.

Like the Todd Agnew song says: to live like Him, to love like Him, because He died for me. Sacrificial living

is the least I can do for Him, considering what He did for me.

Lisa

If Christ means Messiah, which means Redeemer or Saviour in English(?), then when I say I am in Christ, that means I am oneof those saved by Christ. I believe in Him and clings to Him always for all my needs and concerns in this world. He is the pivoting point of my life, without which I would be nothing. As they say, without CHRISTIAN in our lives means, "Without "Christ, I Am Nothing"".

To be "in Christ" means to be holy and blameless, chosen of God, adopted into God's family, forgiven.

The implications are, we have a purpose to live for God's praise, we are given the Holy Spirit as a foretaste of future glory. Blessings of knowledge, blessings of love, blessings of mercy, blessings of salvation-the list is endless.

To me, being In Christ is having a close personal relationship with Him. He guides me in everything I do or say. Because I am In Christ, He is in me. I try to follow His teachings in every aspect of my life. This is His incorporation in me. I try to be aware of my actions and words so that I don't inflict pain on my brothers and sisters, because that would also cause pain in Him.

[/quote

To be in Christ means that I am a part of his body- the body of believers.

He is the Father and I am one of his children. He guides, protects, and loves me.

In my opinion, i became in Christ when I started to have a personal relationship

with God.

Chosen by the Father...chosen because a Soverign God loved us so much He gave His Son to once again bring us back into fellowship with Him through Jesus...I am in Christ because it is His blood that covers me..if I am clothed in anything..it is the blood of Jesus that was shed for me that I can have redemption...It has changed my life...I am not what I once was...an orpan..but now a child of God...Through His word...it changes what is so important..my heart and mind...and the heart motivates the mind...I am not saying I am perfect..far from it...but I have been given hope that in his word it says..."He who began a good work in you is faithful to complete it...

Chosen by the Father...chosen because a Soverign God loved us so much He gave His Son to once again bring us back into fellowship with Him through Jesus...I am in Christ because it is His blood that covers me..if I am clothed in anything..it is the blood of Jesus that was shed for me that I can have redemption...It has changed my life...I am not what I once was...an orpan..but now a child of God...Through His word...it changes what is so important..my heart and mind...and the heart motivates the mind...I am not saying I am perfect..far from it...but I have been given hope that in his word it says..."He who began a good work in you is faithful to complete it...

:) Very well spoken from a heart touched by God. I say, "Amen"

To be in Christ means to be a member is His body. ( Flesh of His flesh and bone of His bones).All believers are parts of JC body joint to gether as one unit.The Father accepts us because we are part of Christ.

The implication os this to my life is:

1:I have to be useful member and to work in harmony with the other members for the sake of the whole body

2:I cannot use Christ's flesh and bones for sin.