JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Being "in Christ" means to me to be completely covered with Christ so that when God looks at me, He sees His own Son and nothing of my sinful self! And that is why He has "blessed us with every spiritual blessing". The wonder of this to me is that these blessings have all aready been earned by Christ, so they become ours once we are in Him. What a wonderful thought! So the implication of this in my life is firstly that I have the wonderful assurance that I am completely accepted by the Father as surely as Christ was accepted by Him. Secondly, that I will never ever need to earn God's approval, because I am in Christ and Christ has earned it for me. I feel like a truly loved child of a truly loving Father! So much more reason to give my loving Father one big hug every day and tell Him how thankful I am for what He has done for me!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be "in Christ" means to be part of His body, the Church. We all, as believers, are part of the body of Christ, and are called to perform as parts of the body. It is my job to help the body, to discover my function, and to perform that function to the best of my ability.

The eyes have a specific function, as do the hands and legs. They are useless on their own, but as part of a body, they have a purpose. We are just as integral to the body of Christ as our body parts are to us. If our hand does not function, it will not serve us well. In fact, if it does not work, it will wither and die! God forbid that we should live our lives as useless appendages, grafted onto the body, but lying limp, weak, and wasted. God had a purpose in calling us, and it is our responsibility to realize and act out that purpose.

• 3 weeks later...

Q1. (Ephesians 1:3)

What does it mean to you to be "in Christ" -- incorporated into Christ?

What are the implications of this for your life?

At the time of our salvation we enter into a spiritual union with Jesus Christ. We are in Christ, Christ is in us, we are like Christ, and we are with Christ. These are the different relationships between us as believers and Christ, through which we receive every benefit of salvation. This union with Christ makes available to us as believers a great number of spiritual benefits; benefits which can be used and enjoyed continuously during our remaining lifetime and also into eternity.

• 2 weeks later...
Q1. (Ephesians 1:3) What does it mean to you to be "in Christ" -- incorporated into Christ? What are the implications of this for your life?

To be "in Christ" - to me this statement lays my life before me, and truly lets me understand who I am as a Christian. It lays a strong foundation as it relates to my true identity, and puts things in perspective whether situations are going well or not. It confirms to me that God has ordained my future.

As it relates to its implications for my life, the word "in" also indicates to me that this is an active walk. In the same way I can be "in Christ", I can also be "out of Christ"; therefore, relationship with Christ is the essential key to successfully walk with, as well as understand who Christ is, so that the "in Christ" becomes fully operational in my life.

"In Christ" also denotes to me, that I need to understand and always be aware, that I have been equipped with everything I will ever need to fulfill the purpose and calling of God on my life.

• 2 weeks later...
Let's say I'm like a box of cake mix. A bunch of raw ingredients assembled by someone in a neat little box. But I will forever sit as an unfulfilled promise of delicious cake unless the key components that will make me "come alive" are incorporated into me. When the fresh egg, water, and oil are integrated into who I am, then I have the full complement of ingredients necessary to reach my full potential and become a cake. They cannot just be dumped in on top; they must be mixed in thoroughly.

Who I was became fully enveloped in who Christ is. With every choice I make to allow my "batter" to be stirred and beaten, more and more of His nature is integrated throughout. Christ in me, and I in Him. As I submit to His refining heat, more and more of me is being transformed into His creation of perfected "cake", the full character of The One who is Life. Without His presence and work in me, incorporated as part of who I am, no changes would be possible.

This is a wonderful visual to explain this... I couldn't do any better. I :wub: it!

Q1. (Ephesians 1:3) What does it mean to you to be "in Christ" -- incorporated into Christ? What are the implications of this for your life?

Christ is in me and I am in him. Christ is a part of my whole life. I am a son of God and Christ is my brother. Your brother will always protect and love you. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
Let's say I'm like a box of cake mix. A bunch of raw ingredients assembled by someone in a neat little box. But I will forever sit as an unfulfilled promise of delicious cake unless the key components that will make me "come alive" are incorporated into me. When the fresh egg, water, and oil are integrated into who I am, then I have the full complement of ingredients necessary to reach my full potential and become a cake. They cannot just be dumped in on top; they must be mixed in thoroughly.

This simplistic word picture came to mind in considering this concept of being incorporated "in Christ". Just like a dry and lifeless cake mix becomes an entirely different substance when specific elements are blended in, I became a newly enlivened and fluid creation when the Holy Spirit of the Living God came to dwell in me and brought with Him an entirely new nature and set of properties. The addition of this new, living ingredient recreated me into something that can never again be what it was before.

Who I was became fully enveloped in who Christ is. With every choice I make to allow my "batter" to be stirred and beaten, more and more of His nature is integrated throughout. Christ in me, and I in Him. As I submit to His refining heat, more and more of me is being transformed into His creation of perfected "cake", the full character of The One who is Life. Without His presence and work in me, incorporated as part of who I am, no changes would be possible.

One implication for me is that there is no real life apart from Him. My existence would be dry, unfulfilled, meaningless, and eventually unusable. But with the Spirit of Christ fully blended into every thought, word, and deed, my life is changed to flow with the divine energies of grace and forgiveness and mercy and love. It will rise to unimagined heights of holiness and blessing and power and victory. And it will become a yummy nourishment that is meant to be shared with others (not sit on a lovely cake plate looking quite beautiful, but ultimately wasted to staleness).

Christ has poured His own pure life-filled character into me and He is now part of who I am. Or more accurately, as I consistently choose Him over myself, He is all I am to be! I am no longer who I was before. Another implication for me is if there are no changes in how I used to think and what I desire and what I love and what I do, then I need to examine the reality of my resistence to integration with Christ, whether in my salvation (truly transformed in receiving Christ as Savior, or just went through some rituals) or in my sanctification (becoming more and more like Christ). The ultimate goal in this earthly life is for people to see more and more of Christ when they observe my life, and less and less of me as I live in His nature instead of my old one. My part is to straighten out my concept of who I now am and live like it!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

To be in Christ means knowing I am saved and forgiven. It means I don't have to look back to a life of trying to always please myself and always coming up short. Now I try to live as Christ would have me live. Thinking of others before thinking of myself. Being in Christ means to try to be blameless meaning that you do not do something that might hinder another person from coming to Christ. It does not mean you are better than anyone else. Don't be a hypocrite. You are to humble yourself and serve others. It also means that what ever you are doing you are to do it as you are doing for God not for your own gain. When we try to work towards our own goals we focus on the short term. We try to build up things in our mortal world that will some day end and most of what we do for ourselves and man will be forgotten. If we live for God and do what he wants it builds up treasures for eternity. The time we spend on earth is a short time in comparison to what happens after our physical bodies die. Put in the work now to reap the benefits in eternity.

• 1 month later...

what it means for me to be "in christ" for me is that I live in Jesus and he lives in me. It means that he helps me in all that I do and that I think, He is with me for all times. He is my guide, my comforter, my life that brings peace and love and harmony. To be in him means that I am never alone and that I have a hope and a reason to go on. He is all I need.

i have and will always have Christ with me. I need never be alone again or be afraid of what is happening.

to be "in Christ" means i have security. this security gives me peace and joy.

i realize that being "in Christ" means that i posses the mind and character of Christ.

the things that are important to him are important to me. as Christ is so am i.

as a result of being "in Christ" i strive to make the decision on a daily basis

to rely on Christ and not automaticly respond in my flesh. i recognize that being

"in Christ" i have been given blessings and benefits . . .

however i have responsibilities which i am compelled to carry out in the name of Jesus.

i desire to fulfill these responsibilities because of my frail human love for Him.

i know i can never repay God or Jesus for thier loving kindness . . .

for choosing me in the Beloved, but i receive such joy when i am encouraging and

serving huring people in an effort to demonstrate the Love of God bring glory to God.

He makes the important weightier things so clear when i am willing to really

seek the Kingdom of God and all righteousness above anything else as Matt. 6 instructs.

to be "in Christ" = blessings and benefits as we seek the Kingdom of God and all righteousness!!!!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

I think when we say to be in Christ it speaks about our relationship to Jesus Christ. That in all things work together for good to those who love Him and perform according to His purpose. With this I realize the importance of our relationship to God. Christianity is not based on our religion but with our relation to God. As what I had experienced, despite of the persecution of my Aunt, I still hold on to the Words of God. I trusted Him despite of the trials i had experienced because I believe with these ten words "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

When thinking about the phrase "in Christ", the image that Christ potrays in the Bible of the vine and the branch come immediately to mind. He is the vine and I am the branch. I abide in Him and He abides in me. As long as I am attached to the "Vine", I receive substanance. In Christ, all things are possible. If I try to respond to something in my flesh, it never works. However, as I seek Him, His Spirit directs, counsels, warns, encourages, teaches, ministers.... about all things because He resides in my heart.

My earthly father is now deceased but when he was alive there was one day at work when his skin was accidently burned with acid. He had to have the affected skin grafted. The doctors took skin from another part of his body and grafted it - somehow molded it to the wound and made it look brand new.

Likewise I am having my affected area (sin) grafted as I am "incorporated" into Christ. I am being transformed in to His image. My old man has passed away and my new man is being transformed. It does not mean I am perfect because I am so far from that. Only God is perfect.

It does mean I am changing much like a caterpillar in a cocoon (in Chrysalis form) and when I get to Heaven I will emerge as the beautiful butterfly that He created me to be.

To be "in Christ" is to be in fellowship with HIM. When I am "in love" then the person I am in love with is on my mind constantly. With the relationship I have with Christ, I am to let HIM be the head, for all things are under His feet.

The implication: I trust Him completely; all things work together for good in my life. I thought I believed that, was sure that I believed until 5 years ago I lost my 26 year old daughter. She seemed to be very healthy, she was an active Christian, Jesus was the center of her life, and she was the center of mine. She was sick for one week, and then she was gone. It was then I truly learned to "abide in the vine." One step at a time I learned to lean on Jesus for my desire to even live. As I came through the mourning process, I learned that to live outside of the vine was torment. Today I am so in love with Jesus; HE is the reason I get am able to "do all things" through Christ.

Right now I am picturing myself as a small nesting doll (you know, the wooden Russian dolls) inside of Christ. But then sometimes I think of him as a nesting doll inside of me. I live in Christ, and he lives in me. This idea helps me when I'm feeling alone or at my wit's end. . .or when I'm experiencing joy and want to experience it with him.

• 4 weeks later...

to be in Christ is to live for Him and by His strength. We are to be "like-minded" with Him and with each other.

To live for Christ is to be His light in this world. We are all to use His example and live by His standards.

kelley

• 2 weeks later...

We are now the hands, feet and mouths of Jesus. We are united under the headship of Christ just as a body is united under the head. This being the case, I have an obligation to continue Christ's ministry here on Earth just as He would if He were still incarnate. It also means that I need to care for other members of the body or the body will sicken and possibly die. We are so interconnected that all are affected by the actions of others.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say that my view on a reading of the first half of this chapter, albeit in the English NRSV and not having any knowledge of Greek, is that almost all of the references to "in Christ" with the exception of verse 10 make more sense if they are read as instrumental rather than local. It seems to be talking about things being achieved through Christ rather than talking about an incorporation into Christ. Now that it is not to say that we are not being incorporated into Christ, and He into us as we become more like Christ. However, my take on these verses in the first chapter of Ephesians is that Paul is talking about what God has done and is doing through Christ.

I believe it means to have Christ as an active part of me. Allowing Him to manifest the fruits of his Spirit through me for the benefit of others. When I am told that people know I am a Christian because of my actions I feel it is Christ indeed in me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

before I was saved i was in darkness and held captive by the devil doing his will 2 timothy 2:26 but now tnat Christ is a part of my life He has brought me into the glorious light and i am His son in His family i am in Christ. More less Christ is in me and has changed my life thoughts, ideas, activities, ect. All glory to Him THANK YOU JESUS!