JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

I don't find predestination scary because I believe that the plan of redemption was determined before creation and in that sense, God, in His wisdom had a plan for sinners, should they through their free will and nudging of the Holy Spirit, choose to receive. Praise God for His great love of creatures such as we. It is comforting to know that we have a God who truly loves us and wants the best for us.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can’t think of anything that scary about predestination unless it is that I don’t have to control of my life as I thought I had. The thing that is comforting about predestination is that I know that thing is going to work out in God’s way. Therefore I will have the best that there is to offer. I think that he is praising God for it in the “hearing” of the Ephesians because God has accepted them into the kingdom if they will follow Jesus.

• 3 months later...

Q2. (Ephesians 1:4-5) What is scary about predestination? What is comforting? Why does Paul bring up predestination? Why do you think he praising God for it in the "hearing" of the Ephesians?

2.a. Scary - Knowing some people won't be saved.

b. Comforting - God so loved us - not willing that anyone would be lost, but he knew beforehand who would accept and recieve His love.

c. & d. Paul wanted them to kinow they were part of God's plan chosen in Him before the foundations of the earth and that God was building his church Jews and Gentiles in Christ.

• 4 weeks later...

1.)What is scary about predestination?

Predestination can lead one to believe that God has predetermined who will be saved and who will be eternally lost; and that he or she may not be among those destined to spend eternity with the Father and the Son.

2.)What is comforting?

God had me in mind before I was even born. Nothing I did to be chosen; it was merely by God's love.

3.) Why does Paul bring up predestination?

To assure them of their eternal security in Christ

2.) Why do you think he is praising God for it in the "hearing" of the Ephesians?

• 1 year later...

Q2. (Ephesians 1:4-5) What is scary about predestination? What is comforting? Why does Paul bring up predestination? Why do you think he praising God for it in the "hearing" of the Ephesians?

If predestination is to be believed, then not everyone can be saved. Christ died for all men. Those who come to the revelation of Christ and His work are predestined for His blessings and promises. Comforting in the fact we have the opportunity to believe in Him, we are destined to live with God our Father and Christ forever in His kingdom. My only thought of praising God in the hearing of the Ephesians, could possibly be that the Ephesians had many false gods. Paul was declaring the One and only True God.  

• 2 months later...

What is scary about Predestination?--That people will mis interpret it,and will ignore the Grace of God..Jesus Christ complete work in the cross,just because of the argument if I am already predestined to be saved who needs Jesus?

What is comforting?-That God is not respecter of person(Acts 10:34- Then Peter began to speak: “I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism)..That all are equal in the sight of God,that all have sinned and fall short of the Glory of God,that even the viest sinner,has a chance to be saved..Because God was with Jesus reconciling the whole WORLD,and not only Christian(2 Cor 5:19-that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people’s sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation).

Why does Paul bring up predestination?--To teach the Gentile covert that IT IS ALL ABOUT tHE WORK OF GOD..nothing in themselves but all according to God's good pleasure(2 Tim 1:9-He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time,)

Why do you think he praising God for it in the "hearing" of the Ephesians?-Apostle Paul,wants to impart Faith to the believers..knowing that  we need Faith to be saved(Eph 2:8-For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God)..so He keep on Praising God,in the hearing(That His letter will be read in Church),because Faith comes by Hearing and Hearing the Word of God,and in this case by hearing the Praise of God.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

The concept of predestination can be scary to some people because they feel that their life is already calculated and that they  have no say in how things re to happen. They fell that they lose any and all free will.

The comforting thoughts of this is that God already has a really good idea on how I can and will probably mess up. He has already forgiven me for these mistakes. And even if I take a step or go a mile off the path that God has put before me, He will add steps to get me back to Him along the way.

The Ephesians had a strong scientific background and were scholars in many ways. This concept would be embraced by them. They would be able to see how this new religion could fit into their every day existance better.

• 1 month later...

I really can't think of anything scary about predestination. It's comforting to know that he already has everything planned out and He knows what's going to happen before it does. I think Paul brings it up for the same reason he praises God for it : since everything is already planned out, all we have to do is follow Him and trust in Him. We still must seek Him for the steps we are to take, but the reults are already apparent to our Lord.

• 2 weeks later...

I have always struggled with the concept of predestination because to me it meant being a puppet with God pulling the strings (not a bad idea because it freed me from being at fault when I did things not Godlike). As I began digging into it deeper I am beginning to understand it differently. I am beginning to see it no longer as a preset blow-by-blow detailed plan for my life but more as a predetermined destination to arrive at because of my relationship with Jesus and the ministry of the Holy Spirit.

• 2 months later...

There is nothing scary about predestination, but it's very comforting to know that I've had a place in God's family since before the world began. I'm comforted because He called, and I know that He will never leave me. I think Paul brought up predestination to let the Gentiles know God had a plan for them, and not only the Jews. Paul was praising God because they heard and believed. He was praising God for their faith.

• 8 months later...

Predestination gives us a hope and an expected end, it is not scary but comforting to know we don't have to settled for less and die with no hope no matter how messed up we are if we accept the gift of God we have been assured of a home with Christ for God's word says I go to prepare a place for you that where I am there you will be also hallelujah we have a hope and because Christ Jesus chose us from the beginning of the world no matter how bad the world gets God's plan will prevail as long as we allow the Holy Spirit to lead us.

• 1 year later...
On 24/08/2006 at 9:48 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

The word "scary", not sure  ... The fact that God has predestinated " reassure me" in a way that I depend on Him Totally.  when I look back it is pure evidence for me now! *Still thinking about it.   I prefer the terms " Chose" before I was born.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/24/2006 at 9:48 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

The thought that people I know and love may not be with me in heaven.

To know my home is with Jesus.

To show us God is the God of us all.

That God is in CONTROL.

• 4 years later...

I don't feel fear in these words at all. My interpretation is that God made the path for a relationship for all of His creations. Some of us will choose that path, some will not. Will we walk in trust or keep taking over the wheel? Other's won't even acknowledge God at all and live as though the world is about them.  

Predestination means God determined everything about us before we existed. What is scary is what will happen to me if I do not iive  my life as God planned.

What is comforting is that God knew everything that will happen to me long before  I was born. So, even when I encounter some problems lm comforted by the knowledge that God is not surprised by them and He already have solutions.

Paul wants us to understand that God is all powerful and all knowing . Nothing is impossible with Him. He is always in control because He planned everything in advance.

Just the word predestination brings to mind things like "I can't control it', 'I can't change it', It's fate, Its in the cards, the hand has been dealt, if everything is predestined, why even try??  But just add the word LOVE.  In LOVE God chose us.  He has a plan and we are in it.  Rather than fear predestination, we can rest in it, secure in the knowledge that the God of love is in control.

My answer:

Nothing is really scary about predestination with me. It's the way God created things to be. It's best to just follow God and allow him to lead you. It is very comforting that God had already predestined to send Jesus and already had a way for me to spend eternity with him. He predestined also my destiny and what I am called to do. It has not always been the easiest road trying to figure things out but it's worth it to please God.  Out of his great love before I even love him he wanted me to spend eternity with him. He loved us all so much that he paid the price with Jesus. Amazing. I will spend Forever thanking him.

(Ephesians 1:4-5) What is scary about predestination? What is comforting? Why does Paul bring up predestination? Why do you think he praising God for it in the "hearing" of the Ephesians?

The idea behind predestination that's "scary" is the notion that God has decided our fate prior to our birth or consciousness of it, and there's nothing we can do to alter his decision. God's foreknowledge is, in itself, not scary, but what He makes of that foreknowledge can be terrifying.

Universalists are soft-hearted people who can't handle the idea that God "damns" some people and saves others, so they pretend hell doesn't exist in the Bible. I admit, damnation is harsh in reality and in sound; it's difficult for me to wrap my mind around the idea that God could have saved everyone, but chose not to.

Wasn't it Calvin who wrote of double predestination, the idea that some are destined for hell and others for salvation? That's the scary aspect of predestination, the idea that you or someone you love could be destined for hell, not because of anything done, but because God chose this in advance. It's hard not to think of salvation in such fatalistic terms.

It's comforting if you are on the path with the happy ending, as I believe I am. Paul looked at the church in Ephesus and marveled that they had been chosen, out of all the people in the world, to be a part of God's kingdom, here and forever. It is a true miracle to be saved, isn't it?

Q2. (Ephesians 1:4-5) What is scary about predestination? What is comforting? Why does Paul bring up predestination? Why do you think he is praising God for it in the "hearing" of the Ephesians?

I am not very sure of what is scary about predestination given that it is to my good that God thought about me right from beginning of time and chose me to his child.

So, it is comforting to me that I mean a lot for God to choose to have me in his plan for salvation even before I came to this world!!! I praise his holy name.

Paul praised God to the hearing of the Ephesians to draw their interest to God’s goodness in loving them and including them in his plan for salvation even before beginning of time.

On 8/24/2006 at 8:48 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Predestined to me seems so defined. definate. It makes me wonder if I have met my true purpose. If so I do not feel that I have been called to much. 

My pastor told a story of a young man that repeated that he wanted to reach more people, do more for God, he was afraid no one noticed. He was killed in a car accident and my pastor was doing the funeral. It was packed and many comments or testimonies rang out about that young man. The pastor said at one time he laughed out loud and caught himself. He knew the young man had been so busy doing that he was not recognizing. 

I tried to take comfort in that. I know I love the Lord greatly. I only hope I have done what I have been called to do.

The comfort in predestined is that he cares enough to have a plan, a purpose for each of us. Just like in the beginning all things were made and man made last.  He made sure everything they would ever need was provided even before they existed.

On 8/24/2006 at 9:48 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

What is scary about predestination is that when I first become a Christian, some teaching I heard was that salvation was for just certain people.  Which now I know is not true.  What is comforting is that He chose me because I called out to Him and He answered my prayer. Whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved. He chose me in love, and not because I was perfect.  That is a good word that he predestined the church to finish His work - that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. 2 Cor. 5:19  We are now the body of Christ and we should be telling others about Christ and the Gospel and let them make the choice.

The scary thing is that we cannot fully wrap our mind around it, it determine our destiny even before we came to existence,

The comforting thing is that we are sure of our place in Christ, individually and coperately we aren't a mistake.

Paul brought it up so as to assure the gentile church of their position in Christ.

The scary thing is that we cannot fully wrap our mind around it, it determine our destiny even before we came to existence,

The comforting thing is that we are sure of our place in Christ, individually and coperately we aren't a mistake.

Paul brought it up so as to assure the gentile church of their position in Christ.