JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q53. Christ Our Husband

Q4. (Ephesians 5:32) In what sense is Christ our Husband as individuals?

He is our Lord, our Master and Head, our Savior, our soon coming King...He invites us into an intimate loving relationship with Him, as we are His Bride as individuals, whether male or female.

As a church?

As the church, He calls us corporately, His Bride. He is our Head and should be allowed to lead the church. As individual believers we are living stones which make up the church, and His care and concern for the Body of Christ is the same as for us individuals...to love, nurture, correct when necessary, and to discipline, grow, develop, etc.

What are the implications of this for our lives?

I am no longer my own, but His, and look to Him as my Lord, Savior, Master, soon coming King, and bow in submission and love to His will in my life, rather than demanding my own way. Because He is responsible for my safety, my care, my provision, my perfection, as I yield to Him, I can "rest in Him" and enjoy Him. His peace is promised in my heart, and His deliverance from the evil one. He is my healer, so I can come to Him when my body, soul or spirit are "sick".

What does this say about Christ's responsibilities towards us?

He has promised to bring me safely to Heaven and knows the number of my days. He has promised to care for me, to love and protect me, to provide for me, to comfort, encourage, and keep me, and on "That day", I will be like Him when I meet Him face to face. In Psalms 45 He describes us as in wedding clothes of fine needlework, inwrought with gold, radiant and with gladness and rejoicing! I can't wait for that glorious day!

• 1 month later...

Q4. (Ephesians 5:32)

In what sense is Christ our Husband as individuals?

As a church?

What are the implications of this for our lives?

What does this say about Christ's responsibilities towards us?

In the same way that wives are told to submit to their husbands, we are told to submit to Christ. The church also submits to Jesus as He is the head of the church. As we grow in Christ our marriages will become more perfect. As husbands we are told to love our wife as ourselves. Not merely as I might love myself, but in recognition of the fact that she is one with me. To the wives the word is: see that you continually respect and obey your husband. Can we imagine what would happen if these divine instructions were widely followed by Christian people today? The answer is obvious. There would be no strife, no separation, and no divorce. Our homes would be more like foretastes of heaven than they often are.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Q4. (Ephesians 5:32) In what sense is Christ our Husband as individuals? As a church? What are the implications of this for our lives? What does this say about Christ's responsibilities towards us?

He laid down His life for us and is comitted to us as Christians. There is one body and one church but many members and as christians making the comittment to Christ we ar unified as one. How we live and our faith. That He is totally comitted to us and He has laid down His life for our sakes so that we can be free and have eternal life through Him.

• 4 months later...

Q4. (Ephesians 5:32) In what sense is Christ our Husband as individuals? As a church? What are the implications of this for our lives? What does this say about Christ's responsibilities towards us?

1. In what sense is Christ our Husband as individuals?

In the same way we are to submit to our husbands even when we don't like it is the same way we are to submit to Christ. More so he is our creator.

2. As a church?

Christ died for us and we are to always reverence his sacrifice for us.

3. What does this say about Christ's responsibilities towards us?

That he loves us so much that when we choose to follow him he will take full responsibility for our care.

1. In what sense is Christ our Husband as individuals? As a church? What are the implications of this for our livs? What does this say about Christ's responsibilities towards us?

In the sense of presenting the spiritual fact, a Beliver becomes one with Christ as a memeber of His Body, symbolized by the husband-wife relationship. When you are a Beliver, this union is meant to symbolize Christ and the Church.

This means that Christ loves us so much that he gave his life and take responsibilities for our actions.

• 7 months later...

As individuals Christ is our husband who supply our needs.

As A Church he is the head. He shed his blood for the Church so that we might have everlasting life.

The implications for this for our lives is that we align our lives into his protectiob making sure that we are in complete unity with him.

Christ's responsibilies toward us is that he is our care-taker and he provides our needs.

As individuals Christ is our husband who supplyu our needs.

As a Church he is the head. He shed his blood for the Church so that we might have eternal life.

The implications of this for our lives is that we align our lives into his protection making sure that we are in complete unity with him.

Christ's responsibilities towards us is that he is our care-taker and he provides our needs.

• 3 weeks later...

4a) Christ voluntarily submitted himself to the cross.He pours out his love for us as indiv’s answering our prayers comforting us. He is father of the fatherless, meeting our needs as we stay united &close to him. B) Even though we have our differences we are commended to honour our uniqueness, and at the same celebrate the unity we have in Christ as a body of believers, his church. C)We are to aim for lovingly submit as Christ did, to our husbands, our brothers & sisters in the church, to build them up,even though it is hard to when hurt by them. If bride steps away from marriage unity,husband cannot protect her. D)Christ’ love for us on the cross cleanses us, restores our relationship with him,even though we didn’t deserve it. Unity with Jesus is crucial Jesus always listens,is humble & cares for us,-our model for our whole life..

• 1 year later...

The sense that Christ is our Husband as individual is that we have submitted to Him. We are to do the things that He asks of us. As a church we have submitted to Christ always. We are praising him and trying to do the things that He wants the church to do.

The implication of this for our life is that we can live in harmony with each other. We will be able to tolerate each other quarks and still be able to get along.

This says that Christ’s responsibilities toward us that one of unity.

• 1 year later...

In the sense that Christ is our Husband as individuals, is because we are imperfect individuals, He cares for us and through the Holy Spirit strengthens us in our weaknesses, He does this because He loves us and we trust Him in all our situations.

Christ is the Husband of the Church, she is His body. We are to be united and trust he will guide us by His Holy Spirit. Just as a husband loves his wife, he forgives her in her weakness, strengthens her and guides her truth and understanding, so she will be a shining jewel for her husband. She will trust her husband, honor him and please him.

The implications for this is our lives is that we are to live a life Holy to the Lord. We are to be His witnesses on earth, preaching and sharing His Gospel through love and understanding of the word of God.

Christ responsibility towards us as believers is that He will guide us by His Holy Spirit, to strengthen and sanctify us for His Kingdom. He will never leave us or forget us. He will heal us, protect us from evil, help us through trails, He will bring us to the full acquaintance of God our father and Himself, our Lord Jesus Christ.      

• 1 year later...

As individuals, Jesus looks after us and loves us unconditionally. he has told us on a number of occasions that we just have to ask for something through him with love and faith and it will come to us. he is willing to intercede for us to the Father. We need to collectively, pray and show our love as a church. He is there to bless us and shower us with grace. He will love us even with our faults and he will help to guide us and to make us one with him.

• 2 years later...
On 9/4/2006 at 9:09 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Christ is the head and we are the body.

Submit everything to the Lord,

Christ strengthens us, leads us.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q53. Christ Our Husband
  • 2 months later...

Q53. (Ephesians 5:32) In what sense is Christ our Husband as individuals? As a church? What are the implications of this for our lives? What does this say about Christ's responsibilities towards us? 
Paul states that “I am talking about Christ and the church”; meaning the marriage of Christ and the church, where the husband is symbolic of Christ and the wife as symbolic of the church. Wives are told to submit to their husbands, symbolic Christ, as they, symbolic church, submit to Christ. So, the church submits to Jesus as the head of the church. To the wives the word is: see that you continually respect and obey your husband. Husbands, symbolic Christ, are told to love their wives, symbolic church, as ourselves. Not merely as I might love myself, but in recognition of the fact that she is one with me. As we grow in Christ our marriages will become more perfect. Can we imagine what would happen if these divine instructions were widely followed by Christian people today? The answer is obvious. There would be no strife, no separation, and no divorce. Our homes would be more like foretastes of heaven than they often are. 

Q53. (Ephesians 5:32) In what sense is Christ our Husband as individuals? As a church? What are the implications of this for our lives? What does this say about Christ's responsibilities towards us?

Christ is our husband as individuals in the sense that he loved us so much as individuals to die for us on the cross to make us collectively forming a church. We are the body of Christ and should be happy that one of His responsibilities is to take care of us.

Christ is our husband because we are joined to him. He is our Provider, our Leader, our Savior. Each one of us is unique and important to us as individuals. And Jesus cares for us as individuals. Jesus also loves us as individuals. Just like a husband provides and cares for his wife and loves his wife as an individual. The church as a whole is joined and united to Jesus. Just like a husband is united to his wife. As individuals and the church we must submit to Christ. Because Jesus is Lord and God he takes on the responsibility of loving and taking care of his people. He leads us, Jesus is the perfect example of Love and how the perfect son is suppose to act. He was totally submitted to the Father. He Always honor the Father. We are to follow his example. He was responsible for being all those things and he did it perfectly. This is suppose to be our greatest union which is being connected with Jesus as individuals and the church as a whole.

• 2 weeks later...

In what sense is Christ our Husband as individuals? As a church? What are the implications of this for our lives? What does this say about Christ's responsibilities towards us?

1. As an individual, I conceive of myself as submitting to God as I understand Him and His revelation.

2. Corporately, as a church, we each worship God individually and conceive of ourselves as submitting to God

3. I'm not certain about the implications. If I were to never attend church again and never speak to another Christian for the rest of my life, I'm not sure my faith would be substantially different. In fact, I'm pretty sure I'd be quietly chugging along, praying and worshiping Him as I do today. Church is more of a pleasant interruption than a necessity. So, the "us" is far less important than my own relationship with Christ.

4. Again, I'm not sure what this says about Christ's responsibility toward "us." He is responsible for each of us individually -- that I understand. We will never understand how He works with us corporately, how he weaves the parts together, that is. 

Many years ago I learned about one-celled organisms capable of doing all life-processes within one cell body. Even reproduction was possible without contacting other cells. If I scooped up a cup of pond water, there would be thousands of these little intact cells in it. These cells didn't work together though they were in the same water. Each did it's own thing. Each was complete. Independent. These cells had no one orchestrating their respective placement in the pond. They just swam around aimlessly.

The body of Christ is many "cells" each doing their own thing, except in this case, God orchestrates each of our positions in the pond vis-a-vis other cells. God sees all of us in the pond. At once. We see only the water around us. We don't understand how we "work with" the other cells in the pond. Only God sees the big picture and is capable of placing us where we should be in the pond. Our role is to exist independently of the environment and other cells, by remaining dependent on Him.

I know this isn't as comforting as the image of cells dependent on one another to make the body work. I was taught that we all have a "function" in the body as a whole -- we're not all legs, hearts, livers, toes, etc. This is true from HIS perspective, not ours. The fact that we're not  the same does not make us dependent on each other FROM OUR PERSPECTIVE. In reality -- in our daily spiritual lives as we really live them -- we only know our dependence on God. We "feel like" solitary, intact cells, in other words.

So, Christ's responsibility toward us CORPORATELY is that of a grand director who places us where we need to be to make the whole work together. He's a choreographer. The marriage analogy works best on an individual level, but at the level of the church/pond, remains incomprehensible to us. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/4/2006 at 9:09 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

He is our head who loves, protects, provides, cares for us and brings spiritual growth in us.

He is the Head of the church, we are His body whom He loves and cares for.

We are to submit to Him and obey His Word.

He loves, provides, protects us and helps us to grow in Him.

• 1 month later...

Christ is my husband because I have predestinatinated to be part of the elect Church of God.   More convinced today of this !   Prophet Ezekiel was impressed by the mercy of God as well.  Deep study of his prophecies underscore the idea that God is truly omnipotent and omniscient; God's promises are sure.   Prophet Ezekiel aggressively fought the doubters and the false prophets with 'What saith the Lord".

The church is akin to Eve.  What a divine miracle indeed!  The Body of Christ ! This church of Jews, Gentiles made one.    Christ loved the church not due to its innate holiness, but because Christ the Great Physician and Husband, He tenderly sanctifies its members.  The Church isn't merely a man made denomination or a worldly entity.

A holy awe fills my soul.  I remember hearing and learning about the name of Yahweh as a child.   The deep implications of the name of Yahweh were not fully made known to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.  Christ Jesus the eternal Word of God died and rose from the dead just for me.  I have soteria NOW.   What terrific incentive to live for the Lord and be evangelizing.

Christ being head of the Church has given us gifts and graces to grow in sanctification.    Like Gideon, we are not alone!   Gideon had 32,000 men in his army.  Narrowed down to 300 men.   A faithfull friend went with him to spy on the Midianites.   We have the Holy Spirit to assist and accompany us each day.   There are no limitations of time and distance with God.  The Prophet Ezekiel had such a deep understanding of the certitude of God's promises,,; prophecies and promises listed as already occurred!   There was no doubting nor hesitation in Ezekiel's heart.

• 3 weeks later...

The sense that Christ is our Husband as individuals is that we are trying to obey Him. We know that He will take care of us. Same with the church, He is always watching out for the Church. We can live a happy lives knowing that Jesus has our back. Christ is always responsible to us even though we are not always responsible to Him.