JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Job's Vision of Resurrection

Q1. How does Job's vision of resurrection (Job 19:25-27) differ from the Jews' former understanding of death as Sheol? The Jew's saw Sheol as a place of gloom and despair, a place where life can no longer be enjoyed, and where the presence of Yahweh himself is withdrawn. But Job saw beyond the grave to the eternal life that awaits him in the presence of God.

What is progressive revelation?

It is revealing of more truth as time goes on.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. How does Job's vision of resurrection (Job 19:25-27) differ from the Jews' former understanding of death as Sheol? What is progressive revelation?

It was Israel's firm belief in the goodness of God that led the Jewish people to believe that the righteous dead would yet see God. God made an everlasting covenant with Abraham based only on what God would do. Abram's response was found in his "Faith" believing in the Lord, and God accounted it to him for righteousness. Abraham's Bosom, a synonym for the life hereafter. When a person died he went to "be with his fathers" (Gen. 15:15)

The patriarch Abraham was regarded as the "father" of the Jews. At death, the Jew went to his forefathers or more specifically, to join "father Abraham". We see Abraham's bosom in the parable of the rich man and Lazarus, (Luke 16:19-31) there is a chasm separating Abraham's bosom from the flames of Hades, (Sheol).

They believed that in death God's people remain under His care. (Psa 16:7) I will bless Jehovah, who hath given me counsel; Yea, my heart instructeth me in the night seasons.

Psa 16:8 I have set Jehovah always before me: Because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.

Psa 16:9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth; My flesh also shall dwell in safety.

Psa 16:10 For thou wilt not leave my soul to Sheol; Neither wilt thou suffer thy holy one to see corruption. Psa 16:11 Thou wilt show me the path of life: In thy presence is fulness of joy; In thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

Job was a man of great "faith" in the God of Abraham, he feared God and shunned evil. It is through our trust and faith in the God of Abraham, through the Lamb of God, that we too can have God's word revealed to us, reaching not to our intellect, not to a heart of stone, but to a heart that truly loves God, believing in (Psa 16) Jesus fulfilled this promise.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

job's vision is that there is life after death, we will see our redeemer wholy and completely. The Jews feel once dead there is nothing but darkness, gloom and we are gone forever.

progressive revelation is that upon death knowing I might live again brings me hope and an eagerness to live right on earth to see what is waiting for me

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Jobs vision of the resurrection differs from that of jews former understnding in that job knew the father and knew by faith of what had been revealed to him that those who believed in God would be perscuted as Jesus was yet he knew tat he would be raised up to eternal life while to the jews of the time did not believe that there was eternal life as Sheol was the grave and you stayed in the ground

• 3 weeks later...

Job's vision of resurrection (Job 19:25-27) differs from the Jews' former understanding of death as Sheol because he knows he will physically stand before God and not be withdrawn from his presence, even after his death. Job foresees redemption, as he calls God his "Redeemer" who will stand on earth and save his physical and spiritual body from Sheol. As for progressive revelation, it is the concept that verses in the New Testament (Jesus' death and resurrection) will be used to better understand the verses that came before it (prophecies in the Old Testament). If we didn't have the Old Testament, we wouldn't understand anything before Jesus' death and resurrection. God let people know that he had a plan, a promise for our redemption.

On a side note, I really enjoy reading everyone's observations. This is a great message board. :)

• 1 year later...
Q1. How does Job's vision of resurrection (Job 19:25-27) differ from the Jews' former understanding of death as Sheol? What is progressive revelation?

Job was pretty much saying i don't know about you ,but as for as im concern ,i will see my lord and savior Job says yes i may be passed away ,still yet the word yet sticks w/ me hes there still hes also determined to see God for his self. The Jews well they were ignorant to the fact tht he was "I AM" that there was life after death once passed on phisically.

• 6 months later...

Jews thought that dead people went to Sheol and stayed there forever without the presence of God.

Job also thinks that there is no life after death.

Even thought he is meditating about the thought there might be something.

This is progressive.

Progressive revelation means that God reveals His truth little by little.

• 4 weeks later...

I realize that this does not specifically answer the question. However, two thoughts:

Our idea of "progessive revelation" assumes that new information is always more reliable than older information. I'm not sure about that. I imagine I might have sympathized with the Sadducces in wondering "where did that notion come from"

Second, supposing that there is such thing as heaven (which I surely hope), can you imagine how awful it would have been for those who lived before the revelation-- to lose loved ones and eventually, your own life, all while believing that they were headed for a dreary place?

• 2 months later...

Job was truly a servant of God although he had not known of Jesus he knew that God had a plan that would bring himinto the presence of God when he died. He unlike the Jews who believed that once they died they remained in the grave he knew his redeemer lived.

We believe that we will be in the presence of God when we die-the Jews believed that they would reside in the grave. How sad!

Progressive revelation-I'm not sure, but I think it means that new infornation is more reliable than old? I don't know, but referring to the Bible and the info contained therein, the new info is just confirmed by the old. I think.

Q1.

How does Job's vision of resurrection (Job 19:25-27) differ from the Jews' former understanding of death as Sheol?

What is progressive revelation?

At the time physical resurrection was not a doctrine widely taught in the OT, it was only widely accepted as standard in the time of our Lord by OT - believing Jews. With the passage of time God revealed this truth to us; allowing us to understand His plans for us. To know that our Redeemer lives, is a tremendous comfort in life, knowing we will see God

WHEN THE BOOK OF JOB WAS WRITTEN ISREAL DID NOT HAVE A WELL DEVELOPED DOCTRINE OF THE RESURRECTION. JOB THOUGHT THAT GOD WAS PRESENTLT AGAINST HIM HE FIRMLY BELIEVED

THAT IN THE END GOD WOULD WOULD BE THERE FOR HIM. THE BELIVE WAS SO STRONG THAT JOB

WAS THE FIRST TO TALK ABOUT RESURRECTION OF THR BODY.

PROGRESSIVE REVELATION IS WHERE JOB BELIVE THAT HE WOULD FACE GOD IN THE FLESH.

I believe Job's vision of resurrection was Divinely imparted to him by God...revelation knowledge. The Jews had not been given this revelation yet and so believed that when they died they went to Sheol (the grave) a deep, dark place without the Presence of God.

Progressive Revelation is, in essence, God's perogotive, to enlighten His people at any given time, to new understanding and depth of His Person and His Word.

The Jews saw Sheol as a shadowland...a place of despair and gloom. Job realized that no matter what happened in his lifetime, he would see God with his own eyes. He would see Him and live, rather than be cast down. His beilef in the resurrection was filled with hope.

Progressive revelation is truth that is revealed as we grow in faith. As time went by, the Jews learned more and more about the Lord.

Job sees himself bodily resurrecting at some point in space and time. A reunion between body, soul and spirit. That differs from the Jewish concept of being eternally separated from the body. Progressive revelation is the increased knowledge or insight God gives humanity of spiritual things (or whatever) from generation to generation as he deems appropriate.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Job's vision of resurrection is different from the Jewish understanding of death is that the Jewish people believed in Sheol a place that god was not there like psalm 88:11-12 says " are your wonders known in the place of darkness" but jobs says that are body will and come back and see god in Job 19:26 " And after my skin has been thus destroyed, yet in my flesh I shall see God,".

the meaning i see in progressive revelation is that god is slowly showing himself

Job 19:25 I know that my Savior lives, and at the end he will stand on this earth.

Job 19:26 My flesh may be destroyed, yet from this body I will see God.

Job 19:27 Yes, I will see him for myself, and I long for that moment.

I think that we will see Jesus with our very own eyes. and that we will spend all eternity with him.

Job 19:25 For I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last he will stand upon the earth.

Job 19:26 And after my skin has been thus destroyed, yet in my flesh I shall see God,

Job 19:27 whom I shall see for myself, and my eyes shall behold, and not another. My heart faints within me!

The jews believed in a place of darkness and sadness and without the joy of the Lord...sheol. There would gather all the dead the good and the bad. Job has revealed to him that the Lord Himself will return to earth and like the days of Adam and Eve we will see Him and be with Him. With our very own eyes He will be in front of us. We will not be condemned to a place with no bodies but will be given bodies and stand on the earth once more in the presence of the Lord Himself.

Progressive revelation is the slow revealing that the Lord gives to His chosen people. Gradually He reveals to us what we need to know at time and place and again when He returns even more will be revealed and I for one can not wait for that time.

Job 19:25-27 "For I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last he will stand upon the earth.And after my skin has been thus destroyed, yet in my flesh I shall see God, whom I shall see for myself, and my eyes shall behold, and not another. My heart faints within me!"

This shows that God will come to the Earth as a person and not a lost or living soul, but we can see him with our own eyes so he can revealed to him to us. Progressive revelation means God slowly shows us his creations so that we can understand what he's showing us.

Resurrection of the body was a mystery to the Jews and their thinking about the resurrection was affected by this thought. To them the grave is the end of life. They do not see life after death beyond the grave. Some of the Old Testament writers like David in the psalms and Job's writings reflect the end of life in the grave. Gradually and slowly Job was beginning to have an epiphany, a revelation to see that death is not the end of man. He saw that there is life beyond the grave as it was reflected in his writings.

According to theologians "progressive revelation" means there is something more than darkness beyond death. In other words there is life after death, beyond the grave.