JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Firstborn from the Dead

Q4. What assurance do you have that you will be physically resurrected rather than experience disembodied immortality?

God's Word tells us that just as Jesus was resurrected so we will be resurrected. Christ resurrection was a precursor of our own resurrection at the Last Day.

What does it mean that Jesus is the "firstfruits" (1 Corinthians 15:20) and "firstborn" (Revelation 1:5) from the dead?

Jesus is the "firstfruit" (1 Corinthians 15:20) and "firstborn" (Revelation 1:5) from the dead means that he was the prototype for all those who believes in Him and will also be raised from the dead unto eternal life.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. What assurance do you have that you will be physically resurrected rather than experience disembodied immortality?

Jesus was physically resurrected and so will those who put their trust in Him also will be resurrected.

What does it mean that Jesus is the "firstfruits" (1 Corinthians 15:20) and "firstborn" (Revelation 1:5) from the dead?

The day after Passover was the Feast of Firstfruits. The Jews waved wheat from their crops toward heaven, showing their gratitude to the Lord for His provision and the promise of more to come. Jesus was the first One resurrected never to die again, but we who believe in Him will also be resurrected.

There are two resurrections, (Rev. 20) talks about a second resurrection that takes place at the end of the Millennium when all of the unbelievers will stand before the Great White Throne. The first resurrection is the resurrection unto life because it is made up of those who are saved. The second resurrection is the resurrection unto death because it is made up only of unbelievers.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

From many verses in God’s Word is His promise of our physical resurrection from the dead just as Jesus was resurrected this Easter morning; and if God said it in His Word, then I believe it!!!!! Jesus is the “firstfruits” and “firstborn” of all creation because He was the first One to be resurrected from the dead and to stay alive forever more, and we who trust and believe in Him will follow in being resurrected from the dead and to stay in our new, resurrected bodies forever and ever to be with Him in His presence in glory!!!!! As my pastor mentioned, others were resurrected from the dead in both the Old and New Testaments of the Holy Bible, but they lived and died again; but our Lord Jesus was the first One to be resurrected from the dead and stay that way—forever living in His resurrection power in heavenly glory and reigning as the Lord of lords and King of kings! Thank You, Lord/King Jesus, for doing all of this and finishing Your work forever for us who believe and trust in You! Amen.

• 1 year later...

Q4. What assurance do you have that you will be physically resurrected rather than experience disembodied immortality? What does it mean that Jesus is the "firstfruits" (1 Corinthians 15:20) and "firstborn" (Revelation 1:5) from the dead?

He did it too!

But He was only dead for three days.

When people are dead for hundreds of years, their bodies has completely rotten so all the molecules are back in the cycle.

Besides this, Jesus said that in heaven we will be like the angels.

firstborn - in afterlife.

• 3 months later...

Q4. What assurance do you have that you will be physically resurrected rather than experience disembodied immortality? What does it mean that Jesus is the "firstfruits" (1 Corinthians 15:20) and "firstborn" (Revelation 1:5) from the dead?

Because the Word says that we will be like Jesus and since we were buried in baptizm, we will be raised like Him in newness of life.

It means that Jesus is the example-the "first one"-to be resurrected from the dead, and we all will be raised just like He was!

Q4.

What assurance do you have that you will be physically resurrected rather than experience disembodied immortality?

The fact that Jesus is God and He was physically resurrected is our guarantee as believers of our own resurrection. We are told in Scriptures many times that Jesus

We have the assurance from Christ Himself that He would bodily return to them from death. Since our resurrection will be like that of Christ's all the gospels tell of a physical resurrection with a body that eats, talks, walks and is seem by hundreds. Jesus' bodily resurrection is the guarantee of our own future resurrection. He rose literally, physically, historically, and in a body that was no less visible and tangible than those of his very earthy disciples, though remarkably transformed nonetheless. All of this gives us reason to hope that "when he appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is"

1Jn 3:2 Dear friends, we are now God's children, but what we will be like has not been revealed yet. We know that when Christ is revealed we will be like him, because we will see him as he is.

1Co 15:20 But now hath Christ been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of them that are asleep.

Rev 1:5 and from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loveth us, and loosed us from our sins by his blood;

Jesus is referred to as the firstfruits or firstborn from the dead as He was the one that conquered death so that we also could live an eternal life where we were forgiven of our sins.

(1) That which is

• 1 year later...

The assurance we have that we will be physically resurrected rather than experience disembodied immortality is that Christ's resurrection is the focus of our own hope for eternal life.

What it means that Jesus is the "firstfruits" (1 Corinthians 15:20) and "firstborn" (Revelation 1:5) from the dead is that his resurrection is the first, the prototype resurrection, and not to be the last.

Jesus' resurrection opens up the way for the rest of us.

Based on the Word and promises of God I can be assured that I will be physically resurrected rather than experience disembodied immortality.

Jesus' resurrection is the prototype resurrection. He is the first to rise from the dead and his resurrection opens the way for all believers.

Christ did not come back as a disembodied spirit. He has open the way for us who trust in Him.

What assurance do you have that you will be physically resurrected rather than experience disembodied immortality? What does it mean that Jesus is the "firstfruits" (1 Corinthians 15:20) and "firstborn" (Revelation 1:5) from the dead?

what assurance that i will be physically resurrected is a line from Job that says

"...after my skin has been destroyed,

yet in my flesh I will see God..."

what it means that Jesus is the firstfruits and the firstborn from the dead is that was the first to die and come back

The assurance that I'll be physically resurrected is that when my skin is faded/destroyed, I will see God in the flesh. What it means that Jesus IS the firstfruits and firstborn from the dead is that Jesus die for our sins and Jesus raise from the dead to came to earth.

1Co 15:20 But in fact Christ has been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep.

Rev 1:5 and from Jesus Christ the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of kings on earth. To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood

In the bible Jesus was raised from the dead with a body and so will we when the time comes. Jesus was the first to EVER die and come back and live for ever.

• 1 year later...

Ans. The assurance in knowing “By his power God raised the Lord from the dead, and he will raise us also.” The Word of God says so.

The firstfruit is considered the first ripened part of the harvest and “for if the firstfruit is holy, the lump is also holy and if the root is holy then the branches,” just as He resurrected so are we to resurrect also. He is our hope, the beginning and the end.

• 2 weeks later...

The assurance I have that i will be raised from the dead is because Jesus christ was raised and the Bible says that believers in Christ will also be raised. I believe.

Jesus Christ is call the first fruit because he was the first rise from the dead bodily and remained with dying again again. Lazarus and others were raised from the dead but they all died again.

• 5 months later...

Christ resurrection is our hope for eternal life through our physical resurrection, not disembodied immortality. Christ was the first of those who have fallen asleep (died) and was resurrected. Christ is the first to be raised from the dead. Because of His death and resurrection, He open up the doors for us to also be resurrected.

• 5 months later...

I am assured from the Bible that I will be physically resurrected rather than experience disembodied immortality. Jesus was the  "firstborn from the dead" we will come after.  He himself holds the keys of death and Hades.  We will be physically resurrected.  Jesus is the "firstfruits" and the "firstborn".  The 'firstfruit" means the first of the harvest.  We will follow.  "Firstborn" from the dead mean he was raised but never died again as Lazarus did.

• 1 year later...

I find great reassurance in the teachings in the Bible. Christ has promises that we will rise from the dead when He comes back to earth. I feel that we will be raised in our full body when He says this. Jesus is the first person to come back to life under His own power. He brought people back from the dead while He lived on this planet. And I feel that He will be opening the graves when He comes back for the final judgement.

• 1 month later...

What assurance do you have that you will be physically resurrected rather than experience disembodied immortality ?  Paul tells us that we will be changed — metamorphosized (1 Cor. 15:51). The body will then be imperishable, immortal, glorious, powerful and spiritual (vs. 42-44, 53). But yet it will be a body, and it will have some continuity with the old body.

What does it mean that Jesus is the "firstfruits" (1 Corinthians 15:20) and "firstborn" (Revelation 1:5) from the dead? When Jesus Christ was resurrected, He became the “first fruits” of all who would be raised Colossians 1:18). The Israelites could not fully harvest their crops until they brought a representative sampling (first fruits) to the priests as an offering to the Lord (Leviticus 23:10). This is what Paul is saying in verses 20-22; Christ’s own resurrection was the “first fruits” of the resurrection “harvest” of the believing dead. The “first fruits” language Paul uses indicates something to follow, and that something would be His followers – the rest of the “crops.” This is how Christ’s resurrection guarantees ours.

• 11 months later...

What assurance do you have that you will be physically resurrected rather than experience disembodied immortality? What does it mean that Jesus is the "firstfruits" (1 Corinthians 15:20) and "firstborn" (Revelation 1:5) from the dead?

The assurances in the Bible, God's word. Jesus went first, to prepare the way. He was the firstfruits as He was first.

• 1 month later...

I think the assurance I have that I will be physically resurrected rather than experience disembodied immortality is that when Jesus returned after being in the grave for three days He had a body. One that everyone that knew and recognized Him. Then there was the transfiguration when John and Peter recognized those people. Since Jesus is the “first fruits” and “firstborn” from the dead that means there will be more and I will be one of those.

• 11 months later...

I believe that that every word in the bible is true,and the fact that Jesus was raised as the bible says i have no doubt that we also will be raised.

Jesus was the first to be raised from the dead.

• 2 years later...

A. My assurance that I will resurrect physically is due to the fact that Jesus Christ rose physically and the power that raised Him is available for me who believe in Him; thus I will also rise from the dead. To Him be the glory..

Jesus being the first fruit means that He is the first to die and and rise physically to die no more. All others who believe in Him will also die and rise at His second coming and will live for ever.

• 2 years later...

Because Jesus has been resurrected to a forever life and he holds the keys of death. It is definitely a precursor to our own resurrection that is coming that is how I know that I too will be physically resurrected. The first fruits and the firstborn means that he is the first to experience those things as The Son of God. He is the prototype that we will follow after with our bodies being resurrected. But also I want to add we follow after him also with our character becoming more like him. He is the first and perfect model of right character.