JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Promises of the New Covenant

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHy did the Old Convenant fail?What are the primary promises of the New Convenant as prophesied in Jeremiah 31:31-34?

The Old Convenant had failed cause the people let their own desires and their weaknesses got the best of them.The sinful nature had caught up to the people of Israel in the Wilderness but know the promises of the New Convenant is that God's laws are now in the heart of each believer.The second promise is that God will be with them and they can be with Him as well,and the other promise is that we can know the Lord personally through the power of His Holy Spirit and the Word of God.The last promise is that we will be forgiven for our sins when we are truly repentant of it

Q2. (Hebrews 8:7-13) Why did the Old Covenant fail?

Heb 7:28 Moses' Teachings designated mortals as chief priests even though they had weaknesses. But God's promise, which came after Moses' Teachings, designated the Son who forever accomplished everything that God required.

There is not one passage in either the New or Old Testament that indicated God's gift of eternal life was ever by keeping the law perfectly. The law of God is the total substance and description of the complete righteousness of God. By the law is the knowledge of sin, salvation has always been by God's grace.

What are the primary promises of the New Covenant as prophesied in Jeremiah 31:31-34?

Because mankind transgressed God's Holy Law, it was for this reason the Almighty sent forth His Son, condemned sin and paid the debt.

Rom 8:1-3 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in union with Christ Jesus.

For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set me free from the law of sin and death.

For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to deal with sin. He condemned sin in the flesh.

Christ Jesus didn't come to give us freedom from God's law, but through Him we have freedom from the evil nature and its power over us. God's law will be written on the hearts and mind of the house of Israel and to the Gentile believers brought into the covenant of Abraham, an everlasting covenant.

Rom 8:4 so that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

Rom 8:7 That is why the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile toward God. For it refuses to submit to the authority of God's law because it is powerless to do so.

• 3 months later...
Q2. (Hebrews 8:7-13) Why did the Old Covenant fail? What are the primary promises of the New Covenant as prophesied in Jeremiah 31:31-34?

They did not remaim faithful to God and His covenant when He brought them out of Egypt, that's why it failed.

The primay promises of the New Covenant as prophised in Jeremiah 31:31-31 is that God declares He will put His law in their minds and write it on their heaets. He will be our God, and we will be His people. We will know Him, from the least of us to the greatest.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Why did the old covenant fail? What are the primary promises of the New Covenant as prophesied in Jeremiah 31:31-34.

The old covenant failed because the covenant of God or laws were not instilled into their heart and mind. The old covenant was applied upon stone tablets and made into laws.

The Holy Ghost helps believers today to live out the new covenant. The old covenant couldn't wash all of the sins that mankind encounter however, by the blood of Jesus that washes all sins is the only way that a true believer can be cleansed and this is why the new covenant have been fulfilled by the blood of the Lamb who is Jesus our Lord and Saviour.

The primary promises the the New Covenant is that God will place his new covenant into the minds and hearts of every believer.

• 4 weeks later...

The old covenant failed because the blood of bulls and goats was only a temporary and outward covering of sins which had to be repeated often and therefore not sufficient. It was made for past sins and did nothing to address present and future sins of the person the sacrifice was being made for. Also it was an external act, a ritual that had no abiding effect on the inward man to overcome his dominating sin nature.

What are the primary promises of the New Covenant as prophesied in Jeremiah 31:31-34?

Beautiful and blessed promise; the scriptures themselves say it so much better than I ever could. The beauty of the King James language here is breathtaking.

Jeremiah 31:33-34 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

• 4 weeks later...

It was defective. They did not abide in His agreement with them, so He withdrew His favor, and nullified the covenant. They broke it, though He was their husband.

It will be new, not a re-worked one, one that we can't break or walk away from because it's sealed with His own blood.

His law will be internal, written on our hearts

He will be our God and we will be His people

Rather than teaching each other about Him, each one will know Him personally...from the least to the greatest. Each will recognize, understand and be acquainted with Him.

He will forgive our sins and remember them no more.

• 1 month later...

:P The Old Covenant failed because the people did not remain faithful to God. Even though he safely brought them out of Egypt, they did not keep the Covenant.

The New Covenant is one where God tells them He will put His law in their minds and write it on their hearts. His children will know Him personally and He will forgive their sins so that they can live with Him forever. :rolleyes:

• 6 months later...

The Old Covenant failed because God's people did not remain faithful to the agreement that they made to God. Promises: God's law will become internalized in the hearts of believers by the Holy Spirit; Togetherness with God; Personal relationship with God; and forgiveness of sins.

• 3 months later...

Q2. (Hebrews 8:7-13)

Why did the Old Covenant fail?

The first Covenant was not perfect as it did not achieve an ideal relationship between man and God. As we see in Exodus 24:7, the Old Covenant was based on man

• 2 months later...
Q2. (Hebrews 8:7-13) Why did the Old Covenant fail? What are the primary promises of the New Covenant as prophesied in Jeremiah 31:31-34?

The first covenant failed because its base was on flawed humanity who could never be perfect and 'please' God. The law could never take away sin only cover it for a time. There was always a need for a new covenant - but nobody on earth was able to do anything to bring it in... that's why Christ came - the perfect sacrifice for all time introducing the new covenant that worked!! Hallelujah.

The primary promises are ALL THINGS NEW .. new covenant - new heart - new beginning - new hope.

Blessings on you all -- Kiwidenis

• 2 weeks later...

The old covenant failed due to our sinful nature. The pimary promises of the new covenant are: 1) laws will be in our minds and written on our hearts, 2)we will all know Him from the least to the greatest. :rolleyes:

• 7 months later...

The Old Covenant required the people to be in total obedience to the Law - but due to the weakness of their human nature they were unable to comply with its requirement. . .

The primary promises of the New Covenmant are; (1) God's Law would be written in their hearts/spirit through the dwelling of His Spirit as opposed to it being an outward law; (2) our sins would be forgiven thereby establishing a personal relationship and fellowship God the Father and His Son Jesus. . .

B)

• 5 months later...

Answer:The Old Covenant Fail because no one can keep it.No one can really accomplished the standard set by God.The Old Covenant is centered on the Mosaic Law,and all its regulations,ceremonial laws,etc,

And no one can follow all this Laws,one by one..And if you break one of this law,you are guilty of all(James 2:10- For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one [point], he is guilty of all).

The New covenant,in Jeremiah 31:and in verse 33- But this [shall be] the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. 34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more

I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people -It means that we were enabled to fulfill all the requirements of the Law,THROUGH OUR UNION WITH JESUS CHRIST,and being represented by the HOLY SPIRIT which lives in the inside(inward part)of us.By accepting Jesus us our Lord and Saviour we become co heirs with Christ,including Eternal Life,and by this position,we become Child of God(Romans 8:15-For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.),strengthening even our inheritance in the Kingdom of God.

And as a Child we shall know the Father,and distinguish his voice(John 10:27- My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:)

And as we know Him,no other false teaching,or doctrines will lead us astray,for the Spirit itself will guide us,the Spirit which we received(Spirit of Adoption) in Romans 8:15,and He will testify and bear witness that indeed we belong to the Family of God,(Romans 8:16-The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God).

The New Covenant is the Covenant of Grace,through our Lord Jesus Christ,to wit;that if we received Him as our Lord and Personal Saviour,his Righteousness instantly cover our unrighteousness,His Prefection covers our perfection,His Holiness covers our unholiness,that when God sees us,He see His Son in us,and said:I REMEMBER YOUR SINS NO MORE.

• 1 month later...

The Old Covenant failed because of human weakness. Because they were unable to keep the terms of the old covenant. They did not remain faithful. Under the old covenant, the people were commanded to take the words of the law to heart. The promises of the New Covenant is that it would be writtn on their hearts, it would be possible for people everywhere to fulfill God's covenant plan because of Holy Spirit. All believers in Jesus Christ will know him directly by the activity of the Holy Spirit. They will know him personally and experience him powerfully, as only a few did in Old Testament. Jesus' death brought the new covenant into existence and made him the mediator of the covenant for whoever believes in him.

• 3 weeks later...

Because humanity is weak and sinnful, the old covenant could not be kept. God had to find a way to keep us from falling back into sin, with no way back to Him.

God settled the problem by writing His comandments on humanity's heart-that way, we would always know when we are messing up, and be able to confess and repent.

• 2 months later...

1) The Old Covenant failed because man did not remain faithful to the covenant.

2) The primary promsies of the New Covenant are:

a. God's law will no longer be external, but will become internalized "in their hearts... on their hearts" by the Holy Spirit.

b. They will be together as God and His people.

c. They will all know the Lord personally.

d. They will be forgiven from their sins.

• 9 months later...

The old covenant failed because the people couldn’t keep it and God found fault with them. In addition, the blood of animals only cleansed externally not internally. The promises of the new covenant are 1) God will write His laws in our hearts through His Holy Spirit, 2) His people will be together with Him, 3) His people will know Him personally, and 4) He will forgive our sins.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

The Old Covenant failed because it had no way to cleans man from the sins they committed. It showed the commandments by which people were to live. It provided animal sacrifices for the people and the high priest and was performed annually at the temple. This was for sins that were unintentional sins committed. But, for sins with malice there was no sacrificial offering, the person was cut off from Israel and God.

The primary promises of the New Testament are, the Lord will put his laws in our minds and write them on our hearts. He will be our God, all people will know the Lord, He will forgive our sins and remember them no more.      

• 2 years later...

The old covenant failed because Israel or the people were not faithful to God and sinned.  They did not keep the commandments that were given to them by God.  they broke the covenant they had with God. So God turned away from them. ( God don't like ugly)  God hates sin and will not abide in anyone who practices it.  The promises of the new covenant is that it will be a better one and that it will be for all mankind, not just one people. It will be based on a better sacrifice, one of flesh and not of animal blood.  One that will be made by a high priest not of earth and will able to redeem man from sin.  This covenant will be written on the hearts of those who choose to follow and who will do the will of the Father.  No one will have to be told by another what to do because it will be revealed through the Holy Spirit within the heart of the people. Once we accept Christ , he will forgive our sins and will remember them no more. 

• 1 year later...
Because the people of Israel did not remain faithful to God's covenant, He  turned away from them,

There are THREE essential articles of the covenant are;
   1.HE  will put HIS y laws in their minds and write them on their hearts.

HE  will be their God,and they will be HIS  people.

2.No longer will a man teach his neighbor,or a man his brother, saying, "Know the Lord,"
   because they will all know HIM from the least of them to the greatest.

3.For HE  will forgive their wickedness,and will remember their sins no more.'"

• 4 months later...

The Old Covenant failed because they did not remain faithful and ended up sinning and in doing so they always were asking God to rescue them from their enemies. To put the word on their hearts so they understand it. To write it on their hearts so they obey it. The Lord will be their God and they will be His People. He will forgive their sins.