JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Psalm 139

The way in which the wonder of creation in the psalm seems to affect the psalmist is he meditates on the value of human life and how God weaved it together to the smallest detail,an embryo in its mother's womb. He praises God for being fearfully and wonderfully made. God ordained all his days and wrote them in his book.

I n his concluding prayer in verses 23 and 24,he asks God to search his heart and test his committment to Him.For God to know the worries that fill his mind,find any sin and deal with it so he will go in the path that lasts forever.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The psalmist begins by commenting on the presence of God everywhere, and at first it seems to bother Him a bit that he can never hide from God, however, he goes on to experience the awesomeness of his creation by God and that now begins to fill him with an awe and wonder, and he begins to lighten up, and even to enjoy this fact, and he now sees the gain of being created by God, the uniqueness of his being, having being carved out specially, and never being out of sight of God.

When he realizes the awesomeness of his being and the supremeness of God, it makes him realize that he is so little compared to God, and it brings him to the realization that he must be saved, to be able to draw close to God, so he asks again for God to change his heart. :)

The Psalmist is awe struck at how God has constructed each one of us as his children. I think of this now, as my niece is only a month pregnant and how tiny that embryo is inside of her right now, and what will happen 8 months from now when the baby is born. Wow what an awesome thought that is!!! Knowing that we are made right down to our inner most being, is more then I can phantom, and I believe that it is more then the psalmist could phantom also. The Psalmist asks God to search him and know what is in the psalmist heart. Test his thoughts, and lead the psalmist and us in the everlasting way.

He is totally in awe to know how he was formed & that God knew him before a detail of him was even begun. He knows us so totally--our real heart--the words not yet on our tongues and there is No Where anyone can run from God. He realizes that his knowledge is nothing compared to God's knowledge and that He loves us to the very tiniest detail in our lives.

David asks God to test his heart & thoughts & to make known to him any offensive way in him that needs to be changed. He asks for God's leading through it all--knowing he has everlasting life too.

Q3. (Psalm 139). In what way does the wonder of creation in the psalm seem to affect the psalmist? In his concluding prayer in verses 23-24, what does he ask God to do?

The wonder of creation in the psalm seem to affect the psalmist in the way that it makes him know fully that God knows all about his life, outmost and inmost, from its very beginning to its very end, nothing hidden from him, God created him very wonderfully and deliberately, so that he praises him and obeys him.

He asks God to search him, know his heart, test him, check out his worried, cleanse his heart if God find anything in him that offends God, and lead him back to the way everlasting.

3. (Psalm 139).

In what way does the wonder of creation in the Psalm seem to

affect the psalmist?

• The psalmist surrender to the Great Creator and the Searcher. He asks God to search him and cleanse his heart. He also asks that he be led back to the path that he might experience God's everlasting life.

In his concluding prayer in verses 23-24, what does he ask God to do?

• In the psalmist concluding prayer, he asks God to investigate his life and find out everything about him. He also asks God to guide him on the road to eternal life.

I want to thank Steph95 for your comment. It has helped me to understand so many things, I always wondered why God did such things when he already knew the out come, it didn't make sense, but now I see. I have prayed to God to show me my heart and I always thought that he wasn't listening to me, I felt like God in this great big universe that I was to small to be seen or heard, even though the bible tells us differently, anyway things that are happening, now make sense. I didn't know how to reply just to you, I'm knew at this.

I just wanted to say thank you for letting God work through you.

Sophia

Indiana

The psalmist is fully aware of the fact that God is omnipresent. "The whole earth is full of His glory." It brings a full awareness that no matter where he is or what he is doing, God is there. There is nowhere that he can go to get away from God and the fact that God knows his every thought and every word even before it proceeds from his mouth.

David already knows that God knows his every thought and every word. David is talking about slaying the wicked and hating those who detest God in vs. 19 through 22. Those thoughts and feelings of hatred and killing are not Godly so David is asking God to change his heart and direct him in the way of love.

It seems that he has been trying to run away, only to be found out by the creator, no matter where he goes. but after he calms down and realizes that God still loves him no matter what, he decides he wants to be like him,like a child who looks up and says daddy I want to grow up to be just like you. And if you watch a child, they want the approval of dad, like, did I do a good job, are you proud of me? In 23 and 24, show me and train me in the way that I should go

Q3. (Psalm 139). In what way does the wonder of creation in the psalm seem to affect the psalmist? In his concluding prayer in verses 23-24, what does he ask God to do?

AS I READ PSALM 139 I GET THE FEELING THAT DAVID IS MORE IN AWE WITH THE FACT THAT THERE IS NOWHERE THAT GOD IS NOT. GOD IS EVERYWHERE AND HE KNOWS EVERYTHING.

IN HIS CONCLUDING PRAYER IN VERSES 23-24, DAVID IS ASKING GOD TO DO A THOROUGH 'INVENTORY' ON HIM TO MAKE SURE THAT THERE IS NO EVIL WITHIN HIM(DAVID). LASTLY, HE'S ASKING THAT GOD LEAD HIM ALONG THE ROAD TO ETERNAL LIFE.

Q3. (Psalm 139). In what way does the wonder of creation in the psalm seem to affect the psalmist?

That God knew him even from the beginning to the end. Every inch of him he knew him even from conception.

The psalmist ask God to search him to test him to cleanse his heart and make it pure so he can worship and serve God and be on the righteous path of everlasting life. He surrendered his life over to God and wants God to be a very important part of his life.

The wonder of creation in the psalm affected the psalmist in a very personal way. He saw and acknowledge God for who He truly is. God is almighty and all knowing. He realized God knew him even before he was formed in his mother"s womb. God knew all about him. Guess what? He knows all about us. The psalmist submitted, surrender and truthfully open up to God. He asked God to search him, if there was a need to help him and cleanse him. He wanted to be restored to a right relationship with God. He was thinking eternal. I ask myself, does the wonder of creation affect us the way if affected the psalmist. I truly hope and pray that it does.

For me it doesn't seem frustrating at all that God searches me out and knows my every move. It's the most comforting thought I can think of. It's intimidating when I think of my sinfulness. But so comforting to realize that he knows my sin and weakness, yet he still watches over me and doesn't give up on me.

David realized he was created unique and special, as are you and I. As he considered how God had so tenderly designed his being, David also realized that God's creation in him was not finished yet. He was overcome with a prayer that God would continue to search and test him, removing that which displeased his Creator, and forming him into the completion of that which he was created to be.

1) In what way does the wonder of creation in the psalm seem to affect the psalmist?

* David is sure that God perfectly knows him in all his ways.

Ps 33:14-15

14 From the place of His dwelling He looks

On all the inhabitants of the earth;

15 He fashions their hearts individually;

He considers all their works.

At this time in David's life, he is so in awe of all God's glory in his life and that he has made David

king over the nation of people that have become the apple of God's eyes, he knows and has learned

that God searches the inner most deep parts of a man's soul and that nothing can hide from the Creator

of that man.

Prov 25:3

3 As the heavens for height and the earth for depth,

So the heart of kings is unsearchable.

David understands the omnipresence of his God, Creator of heaven and earth, He understands that

God has saved for Himself places that no man nor demons can keep Him out of and that in these

places God sees all and knows all and that He keeps a faithful and loving watch over those He loves.

David learns that His God is so divine that even if he goes to heaven He is there, but what is more

meaningful is that if he goes to hell, still His God is there. This proves to David the authority and the

power that His God holds in all creation. That He rules and reins not only over the universe but over

the soul of mankind. Man may have control over the way he lives his life, but God has control over

the soul and where it will spend eternity.

Ps 73:25-26

25 Whom have I in heaven but You?

And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You.

26 My flesh and my heart fail;

But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

Rev 14:10-11

10 he himself shall also drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out full strength into the cup of His indignation. He shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb.

2) In his concluding prayer in verses 23-24, what does he ask God to do?

* To search him and know his ways. David understands that God is omniscience which means

God's superior knowledge and wisdom, His power to know all things. God is the Lord who

knows our thoughts from afar. He is acquainted with all our ways, knowing our words even

before they are on our tongues.

* David has asked God in the psalms below:

Ps 17:3

You have tested my heart;

You have visited me in the night;

You have tried me and have found nothing;

I have purposed that my mouth shall not transgress.

In this Ps 139, David is confronting himself again to gain control of his whole man which is his three part self (the spirit, the soul and the body) and he is turning his soul over to the Lord and he is getting

into the place of worship again as he has so many times before as we can read in the psalms of his life and as King of Israel he is bringing his body and soul under subjection and trusting His Savior enough to keep watch over it and to help him always to remember that place of refugee.

I feel that David may of been in a trial or had let sin slip in, but he has learned that to hid sin or to work a trial out on his own is pride and he had learned within his past mistakes that pride comes before a fall.

Prov 29:23

23 A man's pride will bring him low,

But the humble in spirit will retain honor.

We must maintain and retain humility and honor before God. We must never forget as David understood

that our Creator, our Heavenly Father, Our Savior and Advocate is:

OMNIPRESENCE

[om nih PRES ence] -- a theological term that refers to the unlimited nature of God or His ability to be everywhere at all times.

OMNISCIENCE

[om NISH unce] -- a theological term that refers to God's superior knowledge and wisdom, His power to know all things. God is the Lord who knows our thoughts from afar.

OMNIPOTENCE

[om NIP oh tunce] -- a theological term that refers to the all-encompassing power of God. The almighty God expects human beings to obey Him, and He holds them responsible for their thoughts and actions. Nevertheless, He is the all-powerful Lord who has created all things and sustains them by the Word of His power

Scripture to reflect upon after David lived out his life in the presence of our Lord and his words sharing with us the meditations of his heart that have brought us farther in our walks of life just has it had this prophet in his day;

Jer 23:24

Can anyone hide himself in secret places,

So I shall not see him?" says the LORD;

"Do I not fill heaven and earth?" says the LORD.

Jer 29:11-12

11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

How great would it be for our psalms in our lives and the meditations of our hearts to be written in the word of God like the Holy Spirit has caused it to be for David!

The wonder of creation in the psalm leads the psalmist to surrender to his Creator!What an amazing response! What a contrite & broken spirit! What a beautiful way to crave to be cleansed & be connected to the holy,loving,omnipotent & omniscient Creator! What a heart-searching prayer!

Q3. (Psalm 139). In what way does the wonder of creation in the psalm seem to affect the psalmist?

There is no where in all of God's creation that David would find himself seperated from the presence of God and His protection, for God has a hedge behind and before him.

This seems much like his prayer in 19:14, David asking God to search his heart, he doesn't want sin to be there; David is longing for a perfect world where there is no more evil, longing to enter into life everlasting, in a world that God created in the beginning, walking daily in fellowship with the Almighty God with a clean heart

When David becomes aware that God created him with great love and care he wants to surrounder to Him. David understands that God knows everything about him even when David doesn't speak about his problems and "anxious thoughts" with Him. However, he wants all his thoughts, everything that is inside him to be revealed before God so that God can clean it. David wants to open himself because he knows God loves him. He wants to follow Gods way so he asks God to lead him the way to eternal life.

In what way does the wonder of creation in the psalm seem to affect the psalmist?

He is overwhelmed with the knowledge of God. verse 6

He asks God to do what God already wants to do. Cleanse us and purify us and fill us with His Holy Spirit

God Bless

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

First, the psalmist realizes that God knows him completely, that He knew him before his birth, and realizing this makes him revere God and know he can never fully absorb the knowlege and wonder of God.

Then the psalmist (David) recognizes the omnipresence og God (that He is EVERYWHERE!)

Then he reemphsizes how well God knows him and has known him.

The final beseeching prayer asks God (who knows him so well) to root out all offensive thoughts and actions, cleanse him and lead him in the Way.

THe psalmist ask God to search him,to know my heart try me and to know my thoughts

If any unclean in me ,clean me up and lead me in the right way.

It humbles him, making him realize he is an important part of God's creation. He wasn't just thrown together without thought, but planned out and knitted together with love and care.

He ask's God to search him in and out, finding all faults and making them visible to him so that he might make a mends.