JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Psalm 139

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes you just want to hide from God. I'm sure David did. You're ashamed of your imperfections, and you just want to dig a hole somewhere, crawl in, curl up, and die.

But David saw how fruitless those efforts would be. You can't hide from God! He made the universe, so where are you going to hide? God loves us so much, He will ALWAYS be with us.

The end of Psalm 139 reminds me of the end of Psalm 19. In both of them, the psalmist is asking for God's help to live a God-pleasing life.

• 2 weeks later...
Q3. (Psalm 139). In what way does the wonder of creation in the psalm seem to affect the psalmist? In his concluding prayer in verses 23-24, what does he ask God to do?

1.) He knows that God knows everything about him and that God is with him through every situation. God knows our every thought. David uses creation to show how we cannot hide from God because God is ominipresent. He's there in the night and morning. when you stand and when you sit, he precedes and follows. God formed our very being, he knew us before we were born. God will protect us, strengthen us, guide us. God loves us so much, he will never leave us. Through this the psalmist gains a hatred for his enemies, because they hated God, he asked God to search his heart and mind and point out any wrong motives that he had

2.) Daivd asked God to search for sin in him and purge him so that he can enter into everlasting life

• 3 weeks later...

:rolleyes:

Q3. (Psalm 139). In what way does the wonder of creation in the psalm seem to affect the psalmist? In his concluding prayer in verses 23-24, what does he ask God to do?

you are familiar with all my ways for you created my inmost being you knit me together in my mothers womb i praise you because i am fearfully and wonderfullly made your works are wonderful search me o lord and know my heart test and know my anxious thoughts see if there are any offensive way in me and lead me in the way everlasting

• 3 weeks later...

To realize that God knew him even while being knitted together in his mother's womb. Praising the Creator because he was fearfully and wonderfully made. How that even while in the most secret place he was not hidden from God the Creator. That the Creator's eyes saw his unformed body. How awesome is that!

In verses 23 and 24, he is asking God to search his heart, and to know him and his thoughts. I believe he is asking God to search him for wickedness, and to know his anxieties. For the Creator to lead him along the path of everlasting life.

• 2 weeks later...

When we deal with life it is important to keep perspective and David was a master of that. He spent his time in the fields as a shepherd, saw creation, life - death -struggle. I think here that He realized the wonderful intricacy of creation, how all was knit together by God - all works together. Because God created all, and said that it was good, David could relax knowing that God made him fearfully and wonderfully. God was in charge even before David was born, and knows that God is in charge of his life for all of his days. David wants to be transparent to God, and wants God to direct his path so that He is in line with God's will. I love this Psalm.

Heather

• 2 months later...

In this psalm we learn about the extent of GOD's knowledge of us, not only our thoughts, but also our bodies. GOD is and always has been completely aware of the smallest detail of our lives. It is an uncomfortable feeling. In the end we ask GOD with his intimate knowledge of us to find in us sins of which we are not aware, that we may be more perfect in his sight.

• 3 months later...

Q3. (Psalm 139).

In what way does the wonder of creation in the psalm seem to affect the psalmist? He realizes that God knows everything about him, his thoughts, his words, his dreams, etc. He is so amazed that god will do anything to help him and to be within him. He is also amazed to realize that God knew him even before he was born and loved him even then. He also realizes that it is basically second nature to have God within him and he wouldn't want it to be any other way. He is also amazed at God's ability to see his worth.

In his concluding prayer in verses 23-24, what does he ask God to do?

He is asking God to basically evaluate his heart and his thoughts. He also wants God to guide him to ensure that he follows the way of the Lord.

Thank you,

Love Jesus

• 1 month later...

How wonderful to have a God who is interested in our ever aspect. He knows all needs, dreams, fears and even our silly quircks. Still loving & caring as an gentel soft spoken grand parent. The writer here does ask God the obvious. Did God really need to be informed of the wicked that oppose Him. Here it does say to "hate" those who stand against God & all His goodness. I still have trouble with that because I can't get past the pity I feel. The sorrow for their foolishness. They have no excuses (Romans 1:18-25) and still they continue on in they blind obstanance. Oh how sad, that is one of the things that keeps me no my knees, just like the apostle James. His nick name was 'Old camel Knees" because he spent so much time on them praying.

• 3 weeks later...

The psalmist realizes that God knows his every thought, and the intense of his heart. He knows that there is nothing about him hidden from God. God knew him even in his mother's womb, and was with him. He doesn't want to be seperated from God. He wants God to search his heart, his very thoughts, and to cleanse him from any unrighteousness.

• 2 weeks later...

He begins to meditate on the love and intimacy that God had shared with him in his life. David realizes that God knew him from the beginning to the end. David is asking God to search his heart, test him, and remove anything that will keep him from God. To cleanse his heart.

• 3 weeks later...

David understand that it is no hinding place with God. He is amazed that God know it all before we do anthing. He know our today, tomorrow and end. My life was written before I was conceived. I was wonderfully and perfect made according to God purpose for my life here on earth. David is asking God to search his heart to make sure that he is doing all that he is to do. And to remove anything that is not pleasing to him out of his life, lead him in the way in which he should go. Order his step, and let him be the true man of God that he was made to be.

• 1 month later...

This is such a tremendous Psalm! Read it from "The Message" Bible. The Psalmists reaction is seen, for example in v.11, "This is too much, too wonderful - I can't take it all in", vs 14 - I thank you, High God - you're breathtaking......I worship adoration"; v17 - "Your thoughts - how rare, how beautiful, I'll never comprehend them". His heart is filled with awe and praise.

What does he ask God to do - from The Message - "Investigate my life, O God, find out everything about me; cross examine and test me; see if I've done anything wrong, and guide me on the road to everlasting life."

That this would be my prayer daily, Lord!

• 1 month later...

He realizes that God created him in the womb and is responsible for who he is and knows everything about him.

He asks God to search his inner being and to correct any flaws he finds in him.

• 2 weeks later...

For the poet, the creation is the prove that Hashem is allmighty.

He asks Him to know him and to take care for him.

• 4 weeks later...

the Psalmist has just realized that God will always be there by his side no matter what he does or where he is. Then he turns his emotions into an actual awe of God. Saying that even before birth God knew him and was creating him from the inside out. The Psalmist turned from annoyance to amazement. And again because the psalmist was so caught up in Gods knowledge and power that he even thought of hating those who did not like God or even know God. PS. 139:19

But in conclusion of 139 the psalmist asks God to check every part of him and his intentions. To look in his heart and convict him of the wrongs. to check his thoughts and the words he says and to allow room for progress. He is basically giving God the green card in accountability of his actions, words and thoughts.

I guess going to the master himself to be his accountable partner is the way to go.

God bless David and his boldness...

• 1 month later...

Here is a good goal in life:

" 3 Search me, O God, and know my heart;test me and know my anxious thoughts. 24 See if there is any offensive way in me,and lead me in the way everlasting."

There are many reasons to ask God ot purify us. When we look at all the laws of physics that are involved in the universe, all the details of human life, DNA, etc., all these things in science confirm the glory of God.

What better reason to seek to be "perfect" than to emulate the order and rules of nature He created. To follow what he commanded us to do; to obey Him and love others as ourselves.

Here is a good goal in life:

" 3 Search me, O God, and know my heart;test me and know my anxious thoughts. 24 See if there is any offensive way in me,and lead me in the way everlasting."

There are many reasons to ask God ot purify us. When we look at all the laws of physics that are involved in the universe, all the details of human life, DNA, etc., all these things in science confirm the glory of God.

What better reason to seek to be "perfect" than to emulate the order and rules of nature He created. To follow what he commanded us to do; to obey Him and love others as ourselves.

I'd like to surrenders deeper to God and ask God to

Responding specifically to vs. 13-16 and 23-24.

Beholding the vastness of God's creation and also God's involvement in the minuscule details of even David's life (and mine, too), David takes comfort rather than feeling stalked or controlled. Controlled by God is not a loss of freedom, in a way that it seems both David and I have a difficult time expressing. God's ordaining of ALL MY DAYS is THE source of a great comfort and empowerment.

Vs. 23-24 struck me as similar to David's prayer in Psalm 19:14 (just studied) because David again is pleading with God to align his will with His will.

On a personal note - In all my prior readings of this Psalm, I never realized that I was conceived having already existing with reverential fear (awe) of God. Isn't that marvelous - We are created with an overwhelming adoration for God even before we are a single cell!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not quite sure what the first half of the Psalm was and how it relates to the second half, other than to say that David says "You know my rising up, and my thoughts before I speak the words (paraphrased). However, in the second half of the Psalm, David makes a request that I have done many, many times and on a pretty near daily basis: to ask the Lord to search his/my heart, to see if there is any wicked way about him/me."... adding: "create in me Lord a PURE heart.." I have done this many times, and oftentimes it is painful when the Lord DOES honor that request (to show me my faults so I can repent of them). But through it all I know it is a "cleansing process" by which I am to grow when I respond correctly. I pray always that I will respond correctly, knowing that the helmet of salvation will protect my thinking, and the breastplate of righteousness is my protection against acting out of what I "feel," as opposed to what I know from God's Holy Word.

God is good to us... ALWAYS! Even in some of the most upsetting situations, I can see His goodness!!

• 1 month later...

David marvels at how present the Lord is in our lives. God is always with us and knows every secret thought, hope and desire.We are so precious to God that he has recorded every day of our life in His book. David also marvels at how perfectly God created our bodies, heart and soul. In verses 23 and 24 David asks God to cleanse his heart and mind from any evil or distracting thoughts. When I get anxious or fearful it is because I forgotten that God is always there, loving and protecting me from anything that will hurt me.

• 1 month later...

The wonder of creation appears to break down the psalmist's exterior to see the beauty and majesty that God has. He sees how in everything, God is there; "If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there." As the psalmist reflects on the wonder of creation and digs deeper into his thought, we see how he develops to understand his creator more and how his love grows for God while dwelling on these thoughts.

The Psalmist invites God to know every part of him and test his intentions to see if he is of pure heart. He desires to stay in God's plan forever and so asks him to "lead [him] in the way everlasting"

• 1 month later...

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=653