JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Psalm 139

Q3. (Psalm 139). In what way does the wonder of creation in the psalm seem to affect the psalmist? In his concluding prayer in verses 23-24, what does he ask God to do?

This psalms let you know that wherever you go God is there that you cannot hide from him.He is in the dark and also in light. That where we go God is there with us. He was there when we were in our mother womb. if we go to heaven or hell he is there.He want God to search his heart to let him know if any wrong way is in his heart.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Psalm 139). In what way does the wonder of creation in the psalm seem to affect the psalmist? In his concluding prayer in verses 23-24, what does he ask God to do?

He realizes that God knows every part of him, He knows my beginning and end. He knows all I have endured or done in this life, and He still loves me. We as humans sometimes don't know our own errors/sins. He asks his Father to search him and cleanse him and put him on the right path again.

• 2 weeks later...

Here, the psalmist expresses and sings praises to the omnipotence, omnipresence and omniscence of God. God was involved in every detail of our creation He offers us a view of God personally weaving (stitching) every inch of us in a way that reflects care about the outcome of us as his creation. The imagery he uses is intended to show the great amount of thought and attention to every minute detail that God has put into our creation. God left nothing to chance. Because he has discerned how much God loves us he asks for retribution against those evil ones who refuse to acknowledge the glory and majesty of God.

But, in the end, the psalmist pointedly asks God to search him, the very being that he knows God already knows intimately. He then goes further by seeking God's correction if he finds any unseemly thing in him.

• 3 weeks later...

We can't go anywhere - that God can't see, we can't do anything - that God doesn't see, we can't speak something - that escapes the ears of God. He is omnipresent. He is present even when we are being formed and life is taking shape in the womb - every part of our being is intricately woven by Him. The exact distance eye to ear and head to nose etc.

The psalmist is asking God to search his heart, remove anything that is imperfect, remove anything that is hindering him in having an intimate fellowship / relationship with Him. When I am in that place of intimacy with my God... I would shun from evil desires.. when my focus is on Him... I can do it in His strength

1. The Psalmist truly seems awed by the Creator. There is nothing God doesn't know about him, there is nothing he can do that God doesn't already know about. It's scary and fascinating at the same time to think about what that really means.

2. I believe he is asking God to truly look at his life, his thoughts, his actions and to see if there is anything he needs to change or get better at. This is true humility and surrender to God. If I am going to be known that well I have to be humble and vulnerable to God.

• 4 weeks later...

PSALM 139

In what ways does the wonder of creation in the psalm seem to affect the psalmist?

It leaves him speechless, in a way. He is so amazed at the involvement of his Creator in his life, that he admits such knowledge is too wonderful for him. God's thoughts are not our thoughts; they never originate in our minds, and sometimes we cannot even attain to grasping them. God's creativity is beyond human capability and comprehension. This revelation also makes David overwhelmed, seemingly in a good way. The realization that God's presence is everywhere, it invades his own security and makes him a bit restless. To know that we are always being watched, always surrounded can be surprising, especially when the One watching is altogether holy, pure, and knows everything about everyone, the whole world, the whole universe. He is our judge, and nothing is hidden from Him! What a wake up call to admit that the holy God of the Universe knows EVERYTHING about us! From verse 14, it also causes David to praise God. The One who made the heavens, is the One who carefully knit him together in his mother's womb. The awe that stirs in David's heart cannot be held back; it must be released in praise. All of this wonder also brings David to God's side - righteousness. When he sees the goodness of God in creating anyone, He takes up an offense to any who would turn their backs to the Father who put His heart and treasure into forming their inward parts. Knowing the character and works of God leads us to stand for His character and works.

In his concluding prayer, what does he ask God to do?

After realizing the love and care that his Creator had in making him, David is filled with both zeal for God's heart and a trust in His care. He wants to be pure and fully known by his Maker, and trusts that the God who began the work will surely complete it, with the same care with which he formed him in his mother's womb. So he asks Him to search Him, know him, try his anxieties, find out wickedness in him, and lead him in the way everlasting. He desires to continue to be in God's hand all the days of his life, to be known fully by his loving Father, to be refined and pure as He is pure, and to be led into His eternal kingdom.

• 1 month later...

A3. (Psalm 139). The psalmist is thinking about being formed and how god thoroughly knows everything before it takes place. He then describes himself as fearfully and wonderfully made. He is asking the Lord to search his heart for something offensive to God, and also to lead him in the way everlasting.

• 2 weeks later...

The psalmist praises God and treasures the thoughts of him as he thinks on the wonders of creation. In the concluding prayer, he asks God to search him, reveal his anxiety and any offensive way so that he may walk in the ways of the Lord forever. This is my prayer today especially in these very hectic times when it can be easy to doubt that God will make me a success as I serve Him.

• 4 weeks later...

The psalmist is overwhelmed knowing that God is everywhere keeping everything he has created in order and knows everything about him. He knows his getting up and lying down and all in between that. Because God has unlimited resorces the psalmist realizes God knows everything including our thoughts. At this knowledge the psalmist is asking God to help him to have the right words when speaking that will glorify him from his heart and not sin against him.

• 2 months later...

He is SOO blown away by the fact that God made even his inmost being, He knows everything about him, and is always there. When David lets that sink in, he is completely caught up in God's love. Then when he realizes these truths, he asks the Lord to search him: search his thoughts, search his mind, search his actions, and to lead him down the right path.

• 3 months later...

Q3. (Psalm 139). In what way does the wonder of creation in the psalm seem to affect the psalmist?

I love David's heart...no wonder God loved him so! He is so vulnerable and open before the Lord....an open book laid bare before his maker, aware that God knows every minute detail of his life....his thoughts, his dreams, any dark or "hidden" places. As he talks to God about how every intricate detail is known, he zero's in on how God knitted him together in his mother's womb. (a friend commented one time that when He knits us, he doesn't drop a stitch!) He seems to shrink to embryo size and marvels over how precious he is to God......then focuses on how huge and mighty God is.....and yet how David is never out of His thoughts. (How precious and weighty are Your thoughts to me, O God!). He basks in God's majesty and holiness, and the intimacy in which he is known. Suddenly he is so at one with God that he gets angry at the wicked people around him, and agrees that he hates them as they rise up against God, and as they are enemies against God, they are David's enemies as well.

In his concluding prayer in verses 23-24, what does he ask God to do?

As David ponders the evil around him and God's infinite knowledge of each individual and of himself, he asks God to search his own heart and inmost thoughts, and if He finds any wicked or hurtful way in him to lead him in the way everlasting! (It's as though he's saying, "In Your presence I feel clean and pure, BUT You know every inch of me....so shine YOUR light in any dark corner and expose it, in case I'm in denial, so it will be cleansed, because I want nothing to hinder this oneness I have with you!")

• 1 month later...

In what way does the wonder of creation in the psalm seem to affect the psalmist? It encourages the psalmist to value every aspect of our lives.

In his concluding prayer in verses 23-24, what does he ask God to do? He asks God to clear his human mind of impure thoughts, his heart of impure feelings and to keep him on the path of the New Kingdom.

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (Psalm 139). In what way does the wonder of creation in the psalm seem to affect the psalmist?

God wonderfully created him, but this creation has a purpose and future that God only knows and planned for good works. (Eph. 2:10)

In his concluding prayer in verses 23-24, what does he ask God to do

David is asking God to change him because God isn't going to just come into our lives and start changing things about us...I mean He can, He's God, but it pleases God when we ask him to come and change us. It's true, He knows all about us and our lives, but David is just showing God that he truly wants to be changed by inviting him to search his life for problems and to change them.

• 3 weeks later...

David says that the LORD is everywhere, knows everything ... always. He formed me: how precious is that thought! Knit and woven: sounds like a piece of art .... creative, deliberate, beautiful. Every one of the days that were formed for me are written in the LORD's book: so God has a plan and a purpose for my life. None of the twists and turns in it were a surprise to Him. And because of His omniscience, omnipresence, deliberate purpose for me, it is important (critical) that I know His thoughts.

David wants God (trinity) to keep him pure in his thoughts and therefore in his actions. He is asking God to fulfill His purposes in his life. Ditto!

• 3 weeks later...

I think he is struck with just how intimately God is acquianted with him. He mentions the smallest details-God didn't skip a thing. He is marveling at the intricacies of his own being- things he doesn't quite understand himself.

He ends by asking God to reveal to him areas where he is not pleasing to Him.

• 4 weeks later...

The wonder of creation puts the psalmist in a right relationship under God. Recognizing all of God's omniscience and omnipotence in creation helps him to understand how GREAT God is and how He is in control of all the many details which surround our lives, including the very building of our bodies.

This continual reminder of all that God is helps me to rest in his power and understanding as well.

When he asks to be searched and cleansed, i believe it is out of a sincere desire to draw near and obey God. This continual cleansing ( and acceptance of Jesus's payment for the many sins which we commit all the time), is imperative for a close abiding relationship with a perfect God.

David marvel's at God's omniscience.... this leads him to humility. God knows all of our thoughts, too.

When you tell a child that God knows what you are doing, the child feels a bit afraid, a little worried that they are going to get in trouble. The child might even try to hide, then the mother says, God can see you even when you are hiding.

When David marveled at how God knows even our thoughts, he doesn't try to hide form God. Instead he says, Lord, make my thoughts pure. If you find anything wrong, please let me know and help me to walk (and think) in your ways. Beautiful! What a humble response!

Lord, you know my heart, you know my motivations and thoughts, please show me how to me more like you. Help me to see how I can even "think" like you...so there is nothing in my mind or body that your created that is offensive to you.

Dear Sisters, I have a comment off the topic:

Dawn Waltman is a friend and sign language interpreter and co-missionary with Virginia Missions. She wrote a beautiful book called, A Rose in Heaven. (it's available from christianbooks.com).

I always think about her story when I read this psalm. After having a still born baby, she greived. It was hard. God guided her to write the book, based on psalm 139, as a way of healing. She offered it to other mothers who might be dealing with the same type of grief. If you know of someone who is experiencing this kind of loss, check out the link.

The blurp from the book says: Each year thousands of women lose a child to miscarriage, stillbirth, or early infant death. How can family, friends, and church leaders help in the face of such tragedy? Written by a mother who's experienced the pain, this sympathetic guide provides support for grieving parents, reassurance of God's love, and the hope of heaven.

When the psalmist ponders creation and the knowledge that God is present everywhere no matter what, he is able to derive strength and support without limits. When we are able to see ourselves the way that God sees us and how wonderfully we are made, it is then that we are ready to deal with our pain and dependency and commit our life and will to the care of God. God helps us to be safe when we stay close to Him.

• 2 weeks later...

In this Psalm we learn that David is greatly surprised and filled with wonder about his creation and the presence of God.

David has come to knowledge as to how great care was taken by God to create Him. He praises and thanks God for the great care he took to create Him in his mother's womb.Nothing about his life is hidden form the eyes of God. The God his Creator who took care to form him wonderfully knows everyhting about him and he has ordained his life in the Book of Life. Ohhh David loves God so much that he hates people who do hate God. He worships his Creator acknowledging his love for him.

David realises the great truth that he is important for God. The majestic God who created him and knows him too welllwill always love him and take care of his life

As he realises that God is the centre of His life.. he prays a prayer of surrender to his God.

He asks his God to search his mind and heart and clean him of all his wrong ways. He asks God to lead him in the right ways..as He alone can show him the right paths to go on.

I am greatly moved by this Psalm. It has made me realise that God has fearfully and wonderfully made me. Everything in my life is ordained by him..He knows all about me.. I dont have to worry.Such a big God who has created me has a purpose for me and He shalll love me and manage all the affairs of my life.I will pray the same prayer to my God today

Father God search me, my heart my mind. Take away the offenses in me and Father lead me in the ways which are eternal and everlastin.

Father thank you... How majestic is your name!!!!

Our God is such a mighty and great God. He has created the whole universe and yet He is so concerned about each one of us. David realised and felt so important and special that His creator - our Heavenly Father had carefully knitted and formed him in his mother's womb. David understood that God valued him so much and he loved him so much. He also knew that God knew him in and out hid thoughts his ways his attitude because He was his, very own creation. more than a mother child relationship. and this is what David experienced - the intimate love of the Heavenly Father and he reciprocated the same in return.

Thus David makes a very honest prayer to the Father - asking Yahewh to search his heart and check if there was anything that was displeasing Him and then simply surrenders himself into the hands of Yahweh asking him to remove it all and to add unto him His own likeness.

God Our Creator is the source of all things. God our Father knows us so well as David clearly describes in Psalm 139. David recognizes that everything he does is known to his Maker the Lord Almighty. David is once again filled with wonder to know that God has searched him and he is known by God. His thoughts, his ways, the words he speaks are all known to God.

This makes us realize that God's presence is with us and God knows all about us. He cares for us and He has good plans for us.

David further realizes that wherever he goes God is present. David praises God for he is fearfully and wonderfully created. He considers God's plans and thoughts too wonderful and precious and commits his life in the hands of God who formed him in his mother's womb.

Recognizing this awesome wonder of God---- that God Almighty knows him and is with him David makes a prayer to God to search his inmost being . He asks God to cleanse him from everything that is not pleasing Him and in true surrender allows God to lead him in the right paths.

Psalm 139 shows the confidence and trust David had in God, he trusted him so much that he knew where ever he goes what ever be the situation God is with him, this hows the relation he developed with God to place all his trust completely. He humble himself before God because he knows God is his creator and he is his handmade, and so God knows him in and out so there is nothing that he can hide from God, even the darkness is nothing because even darkness was God's creation and when he commands it will obey. He knows God is in complete control of his life being his creator.

David's love for God is so much that he gets very emotional he talks about things that are not pleasing to God which makes a person Gods enemy, he hates those feelings and things which take him away from God's presence.

He makes a prayer to Yahweh God to search him inside and outside if he has anything that is not pleasing to God and to him and to work on him more , to prune him that he bears good fruit to his creator.