JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Psalm 139

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Psalm 139). In what way does the wonder of creation in the psalm seem to affect the psalmist? In his concluding prayer in verses 23-24, what does he ask God to do?

Those last two verses need to be the cry of my heart as well. I am continually asking God to point out any area of my life that is not in line with Him and replace it. His goal is to make me like Himself, and I can hardly wait!

Q3. (Psalm 139). In what way does the wonder of creation in the psalm seem to affect the psalmist? In his concluding prayer in verses 23-24, what does he ask God to do?

David is so awed by the power of God, the wonders of His creation, that he relates to all of this knowledge in a personal way - realizing God's power and love was totally involved in his life, even as far back as being an embryo -- and that God wove to-gether in his mother's womb, every cell that exists in his body, and he is adoring and grateful. In his concluding prayer, he seems very aware that his own human nature, being sinful, would definitely mar the perfection of God's creation in him, and he asks God to search him for any defects/sins (that he knows are there), and then asks God to cleanse his heart and put David back on the path of knowledge that he is already the owner of eternal life through the loving grace of God - as we all are that believe.

Q3. (Psalm 139). In what way does the wonder of creation in the psalm seem to affect the psalmist? In his concluding prayer in verses 23-24, what does he ask God to do?

The wonder of the creation humbled the psalmist so much that he realised that God is Ominipresent and ominiscience and ominipotent. He realised that he cannot hide away from God, with this he surrendered totally to the Almighty God. God knows each and every one us intimately so we cannot run away from HIM.

In his concluding prayer in vs 23 - 24 the psalmist asked God to guide him against sin and if there is any sin in him, God should cleanse him, give him a pure heart and lead him back to the path of righteousness to have eternal life. We should all ask God for the same.

• 3 weeks later...

That he knows God sees everything that he does, where everhe is and with wonder and awe that he created him so perfect in such a hidden place and he knows what he will do before he has even been born.

He asks God to search him and if there is anything wrong going on to lead him back the right way on an everlasting path.

This is my favourite Psalm it is very close to my heart especially v13-18 it is just a wonder and awe that he knows what we will look like and what we will do before we are even born. GOD YOU ARE SO AWESOME AND I LOVE YOU.

The wonder of creation led him to praise, surrender to God for mercy, love and guidance. Thus in verses 23-24, he prayed that God would examine him and to lead him in the path that is right. He wanted to continue be right in the eyes a God whom nothing is hidden.

Q3. (Psalm 139)

In what way does the wonder of creation in the psalm seem to affect the psalmist? It seems to indicate a direct "connection" and communication with God...an attachment and worldly reminder of God presence and power in our lives. It is from that sense of "awe" that we may truly understand the vastness and power of God, as well as the insignificance of our own lives in the scheme of things.

In his concluding prayer in verses 23-24, what does he ask God to do? He asks God to look inside of him and understand his deepest thoughts and to provide the wisdom and direction to "lead" him to a better way of thinking and living...toward the "way, everlasting". It is the yearning of all men, to truly understand our thoughts, motivations, attachments, fears, angers etc and redirect those energies toward living a more Christ-like life in the way and word of God. In knowing him, and fully connecting with our holy spirit, we can gain that knowledge and learn "the way" which we do not know, think or feel.

-Malkiya

Hear, O Israel: The HaShem our god, the HaShem is one.

And thou shalt love HaShem thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul,

and with all thy might.

And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be upon thy heart;

and thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children,

and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thy house, and when thou walkest by the way,

and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.

And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thy hand, and they shall be for frontlets between thine eyes.

And thou shalt write them upon the door-posts of thy house, and upon thy gates.

- Devarim 6: 4-9

Everything is as it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Being created by God is a humbling thought. Again, God is so all-knowing and powerful, and the fact that he wants to give attention to me before I even breathe is difficult to relate to.

The closing verse askes for both the sins known to me and those not known to me be cleasned and purified. Let me be, think, do, and feel only what is pleasing to you God.

The Psalmist is in awe at the majesty of God's creation. He witnesses the awesomeness of God and His magnificent power. God is everywhere and at all times, there is no place that one can escape from Him(not that I would want to), it is beautiful, we will never be far from God's comforting presence. Verse 4, you know what I am going to say even before I say it, LORD. Verse 16, You saw me before I was born, every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed!!! Praise the LORD!

In verses 23-24, the psalmist wants assurance that he gives God pleasure and does not offend God.

Search me and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thougths, my intentions, my motives, point them out and lead me along the path of everlasting life. In other words, Lord, search me for sin, point it out than quickly will I repent and quickly I will be forgiven.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (Psalm 139). In what way does the wonder of creation in the psalm seem to affect the psalmist?

The Psalmist knows that God created his innermost being, and knew him even before his birth. He knew that he could do nothing without God.

In his concluding prayer in verses 23-24, what does he ask God to do?

He is asking God to search his heart for anything offensive to Him and to help him stay on the path. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

The wonder of creation leaves the psalmist with a sense of unattainability. "Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain." It, to him, seems to be beyond wonder. For me it's like that tool In Eccl. 3:11 we're told that God has placed eternity in our hearts, but we just can't fathom it. Too overwhelming.

In his concluding prayer, he asks God to search him and know his heart, to test him and know his anxious thoughts, check if there was any offensive way in him, and to lead him in the way everlasting. Ouch. At least it can be sometimes in my life. I am far from perfect, He's always working on me. I'm sure that David felt this way too. The offensive ways in me - I pray that when God does his search on me that He, by His grace, would remove them. Make me aware, then strip me bare. So that I can serve Him better.

Q3.

(Psalm 139). In what way does the wonder of creation in the psalm seem to affect the psalmist? In his concluding prayer in verses 23-24, what does he ask God to do?

In this Psalm, the intimate genuine love of God is seen as He so carefully created us in our mother's womb. The Psalmist speaks of the cautiously woven embryo in our mother's womb portraying a love so genuine that He maketh us and knows each of us although so tiny and unknown to the world.

I see the Love of God so great for us and know how little we are to deserve His genuine love. But this same God has a plan to save us for eternity through His Son, Jesus Christ. He knew this tiny creatures He made is helpless without His intervention to save us by Grace. It reminds me of who I am and how He saved me.

In the concluding prayer in Verse 23-24, we notice that the psalmist requests for God to search us, to see where our weaknesses are, to correct us by asking, and seeking God's humble guidance in where we may go wrong in our lives. A very good repentance and prayer of forgiveness and guidance to our God that we can follow in our daily lives to this Loving God we have.

Shantha David

He has created the psalmist's inner being and there is nowhere he can go away from God. He is omnipresent.He asks Godto search his heartand test himto see if there is any offensive wayand cleanse him and bring him out to eternal life.

The psalmist is giving recognition and praise to the awesome power and might of the Father. He is marveling at the omniscience of God. " Lo I am with you always." The psalmist is stating that God knows our every thought, that all our actions and deeds were preordained, mapped out from the beginning of time. That there is no place we can go that God will not preceed us. "How precious are your thoughts about me O God! They are innumerable! I can't even count them; they outnumber the grains of sand." I like the psalmist give reverence to God for His promises and His love. Just reading this Psalm has given new meaning to "Lo I am with you always" to me personally. It has made my commitment to the Father even stronger and I like the psalmist ask God to look at my heart, search every aspect of my life, test me to know that I am fully committed to doing His will, and if He finds anything in me that is not in keeping with His commandments, rebuke me, redirect my path to righteousness so that I may have everlasting life by being obedient to His purpose for my life.

The psalmist here in this psalm brings out the omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent nature of God.

David in this psalm also shows us that he was very sure that God loved him and cared for him. This brought out a devine confidence that God was on his side.

We can carry this confidence one step forward because we believe in a God who loves us so much that He sent his only begotten son, who died for each one of us on the cross.

Praise be to God, for in Him is our strength and confidence.

David in verse 23-24 gives God the permission out of his free will to screen his heart, as we screen our computers for viruses. He goes on to ask God to lead him along the right way.

The psalmist knows God made him and he is amazed that there is no place he can hide from God. Because God knows what he will say and do before he actually does them.

The psalmist asks God to search him and test him. to make him aware of anything offensive so that he can correct that offense. He wants God to know his heart, and thoughts and for God to lead him in the way that would be most pleasing to God.

• 1 month later...

The fact that God made the Psalmist was a very humbling. God knew every part of Him physically, emotionally and mentally. There was no hiding from God. This made him examine his life through God and hate evil and become intolerant of those with wicked ways.

Knowing that God knew every part of him, in his closing prayer he asks God to search him for any wicked ways in himself so that they might be changed. He then asked God to lead him so that he would not sin against God.

• 3 weeks later...

THE PSALMIST IS IN AWE OF GOD'S CREATION OF LIFE AND PRAISES HIM FOR KNITTING HIM TOGETHER IN HIS MOTHER'S WOMB.GOD KNEW HIM INTIMATELY AND HE KNEW THAT NOTHING WAS HIDDEN FROM GOD.HE WAS WONDERFULLY MADE BECAUSE IT WAS THE LORD WHO KNIT HIM TOGETHER WITH LOVE AND CARE.HE ASKS GOD TO SEARCH HIM ; SEARCH HIS HEART. IN OTHER WORDS, HE'S SAYING TO GOD, SHOW ME WHAT'S IN ME. HE WANTS TO LIVE HOLY AND GODLY BEFORE HIS CREATOR.DAVID IS DEPENDING ON THE LORD TO SEARCH HIM, CHECK HIM OUT AND TO LEAD HIM BACK TO THE PATH THAT LEADS TO EVERLASTING LIFE.

I GREW UP IN A CULTURE WHERE NOT MUCH VALUE WAS PLACED ON HUMAN LIFE. CHILDREN WERE TOLD THEY WERE THERE TO TAKE CARE OF THEIR PARENTS.IT WAS ALL ABOUT THEM AND THEIR NEEDS BEING MET. I CANT BEGIN TO TELL YOU HOW MUCH THIS PSALMS MEAN TO ME AS I MEDITATE ON HOW VALUABLE AND SIGNIFICANT I AM TO GOD. THAT THERE IS LIFE BEYOND MY PARENTS AND THAT I WASNT CREATED TO MEET THEIR NEEDS BUT TO SERVE THE LIVING GOD AND HONOR MY PARENTS TOO, OF COURSE...GLORY.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We see that when ponders the thought of what God has done and fact that no matter what man think God already knows your thought, so no matter what we do God has his hand on his children to guide His children, and David finally close his psalm by asking God to test his heart to show God that he really believes what he is declaring

• 1 month later...

The psalmist knows that the Lord knows him inside and out, for he created us, so he knows everything about us. He ask God to search his heart and renew his mind daily so that he can repent and change his ways that way he can have a chance at everlasting life

I love this Psalm (I love all of them, truth be told) so much. In it David marvels at God's knowledge of his soul, days and ways. everything about him. He is able to see himself as important and therefore beloved of God. He asks God in verses 23-24 to search his thoughts and if there be any that are against God, to lead the psalmist back to rightousness.

I see this as a psalm of surrender. THe psalmist knows he cannot avoid God's scrutiny and knowledge He knows that such scrutiny and knowledge are proof of God absolute love. He surrenders himself to God's care and safekeeping.

• 4 weeks later...