JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Psalms 42-43

Q2. (Psalms 42-43). What is the psalmist feeling during this spiritual struggle? How does he combat his spiritual depression? Have you ever felt this way? How did you reach out to God at this time?

The psalmist was feeling hopeless and despair.

The psalmist combat his spiritual depression by singing song and words of hope.

Yes I have felt this way before when I go throught some of my dry season when your friends and chruch friends are not around when the only person that hear your cry is God.

I reach out to God by looking up to the shy to see the star that he places in the sky. I know then that he is there carrying me through the stroms. I sing song that God put in my heart and every time it lift me up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Psalms 42-43). What is the psalmist feeling during this spiritual struggle? How does he combat his spiritual depression? Have you ever felt this way? How did you reach out to God at this time?

Overwhelmed,depressed,alone and defeated. He combats his feeling by going by what he knows about God, by reminding himself of all the Lord has brought him through up to this point in his life. Yes I am sure we have all been there. We can worship God for who He is and with praise and thanksgiving we can thank Him for being faithful to all His promises to us. And suddenly my perspective of situations and circumstance has changed because of His presences in my life.

• 2 weeks later...

The psalmist is desiring a deeper connection with God. He fights his downcast mood by encouraging himself ... by talking to himself. He recalls how he used to praise God and leads others in praise so he says to himself "to put your trust in God".

Yes, I have felt that way and then I recall how God has given me strength through every trial, even if it did not turn out they way I anticipated. But I still loved and praised him for all that he has done and will do. I call out to God in a similar but perhaps more subtle way. I won't turn back.

The psalmist is desiring a deeper connection with God. He fights his downcast mood by encouraging himself ... by talking to himself. He recalls how he used to praise God and lead others in praise so he says to himself "to put your trust in God".

Yes, I have felt that way and then I recall how God has given me strength through every trial, even if it did not turn out they way I anticipated. But I still loved and praised him for all that he has done and will do. I call out to God in a similar but perhaps more subtle way. I won't turn back.

The psalmist was feeling that his spirit was in a dry and barren place and that he longed to experience a previous time. To combat this state of depression he acknowledged who God was and determined that he would return to what he knew and that was praising God.

I also have to remember praise God in the midst of a sometimes downcast spirit. I have to exercise my faith and recall who has brought me this far. I have to push through the issue and be almost desparate to reconnect with the heart of God.

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (Psalms 42-43). What is the psalmist feeling during this spiritual struggle?

The Psalmist is really downcast and mourns and sheds tears of sorrow.

How does he combat his spiritual depression?

He learns to praise God even in his worst situation. Praising god and looking up to Him. Keeping his focus on God and believing that God would really let this situation pass..

Have you ever felt this way? How did you reach out to God at this time?

Yes, I had felt like the psalmist many a time. I sing worship songs which lift and encourage my soul and send praises and supplications up to God. Renew my thinking remove the negative thinking and fill it with positive thinking cause our God is great than any other. He is powerful

• 2 months later...

Q2. (Psalms 42-43).

What is the psalmist feeling during this spiritual struggle?

He is feeling downcast and depressed.

By talking to himself words of hope and praise. By remembering his past positive experiences with God, and by singing and praying day and night to God.

Have you ever felt this way?

No.

How did you reach out to God at this time?

I

A2. Lesson 2. (Psalms 42-43)

The Psalmist is feeling a deep need for the presence of the Lord in his life. Then he spreads out his hands to God. He remembers the better days with festive throngs of the faithful. I have felt the need for help with myself, and have also asked God for help.

He feels "downcast" and "disturbed." He combats this by choosing to hope in God and continue to praise Him. I felt this very keenly the last few days but I thank God that I clung to my faith and allowed others to encourage me and help me continue to praise my God and King. These verses are so valuable to me today as I commit myself more fully to God.

• 2 months later...

David is feeling a need for God's intervention on his behalf. He longs for the presence of God. He has a sin cere thirst for God. In time of trouble, I too desire the peace and security of God. I am alive , I need more of God in my life. I pray to Him daily not always on my knees. However, I want more of Him. I am truly dependending on Him. I thank and Praise Him for who he is.

• 4 months later...

Q2. (Psalms 42-43). What is the psalmist feeling during this spiritual struggle?

He seems to be feeling oppressed, depressed, afflicted by God, judged by others and needing vindication from God, as his enemies taunt him. At the same time, he's crying out to God, who seems distant to him, yet he speaks about God's past deliverances, and better times in his life as he felt close to God and His blessings. He's standing on and recalling what he knows to be true about God's character.

While he's expressing his despair and desperation, he's "talking to himself" about what he knows to be truth! God is faithful, and his stronghold and deliverer! In faith that deliverance will come, he's looking forward to rejoicing and praising God anticipating the rescue and comfort for which he is crying out.

Have you ever felt this way?

Oh my, yes! Many times! (In the margin of my Bible by these verses I wrote during one of those times years ago: "In a pit of despair over a lifetime of terror, hopelessness, abandonment, abuse, and feeling helpless and without help, wanting to die because the pain is too much to bear." Then a few hours later I wrote: "......(a friend) called at that moment and prayed with me....said the Lord led her to call and to read Psalm 42 and 43 to me. He sent help and deliverance..."Light" in the dark pit. My circumstances have not changed but I can go on, knowing that the Lord is aware of my desperate need and sent comfort and hope."

How did you reach out to God at this time?

Like the Psalmist, I cried out my pain and distress to God...honesty with God has preceded many breakthroughs. I clung to Him and even though I didn't believe I could go on, I wanted to be with Him...knew He is my stronghold and fortress. (He led me to go through deliverance a short time later, and that kind of oppression has not returned. I was delivered from severe panic attacks, many fears, a death spirit (my parents threatened to kill me and my siblings, and my oldest brother committed suicide which seemed like a good solution to his pain), forgiveness for my abusers. My life changed drastically after that time! I now have joy, and peace and freedom in Christ! How I praise my Lord for sending help and deliverance...and that He hears every cry and sees every tear (saves them in a bottle!) I think there must be a large vat for where mine are stored. :)

• 3 weeks later...

:):)

I believe that the psalmist is lonely and feeling despair. He combats this by singing songs of worship and praise to remind himself that God does love him and has not abandoned him. I think that we all feel a little disconnected from God time to time, but we have to remember to pray and give thanks to God everyday. The more time we spend with Him the better we will feel.

• 2 months later...

He is feeling a 'dryness, an oppression, a separation from God'.

He seems to go through a progression from a passive reaction (pants, thirst, drinking his tears) to an active reaction (remember, pour out, will praise, song, prayer). He also begins by focusing on himself and ends with focusing on God (Your light, Your truth, Guide, Holy mountain, the place where You dwell, altar of God Joy, Delight, Savior, my God).

Of course I have felt this way. Focus on God and His attributes will (eventually) pull me out of depression but I have to 'steal' my mind to the task because felling sorry for myself is easy and I think that I enjoy it way too much.

• 1 month later...

The psalmist is feeling empty,needy,discouraged,sad and abandoned.

He combats depression by crying out to God to lead him towards light and truth and hope. He repents from staying stuck in the muck and becomes willing to feel the pain.

There have been a number of times when I have struggled with anxiety and depression about circumstances in my life. I reached out to God by totally surrendering ALL of my will. (This usually involves a lot of crying, complaining and writing in my case) I read His word for direction. I stay close to fellow Christians as God speaks to me through others and provides support.I also use self talk....repeating favorite scriptures, slogans such as "this too shall pass...." and "take it one day at a time". I also need to remind myself that I need to be patient and wait for God's timing for solutions to be revealed. All too often, I try to control situations instead of waiting upon the Lord. I get angry that He doesn't save me right away....I am learning to wait upon the Lord.

The Sons of Korah are disappointed that God has not saved them from their enemies and done virtually an Elijah kind of thing like setting a wet altar on fire to show their enemies that the LORD is God...and everything the sons of Korah have been testifying to.

They have been waiting for God to save them and return them to Jerusalem.

Have I ever experienced this kind of spiritual depression? I don't get depressed much. It's not so much that I feel God is abandoning me, rather, I sometimes feel overwhelmed by the task. A boy who is being stubborn and violent and getting several girls pregnant, Girls who choose to associate with the boy no matter what i say. Boys who 3 years ago were young and innocent and now at only 18 have experienced everything from various drugs to sex with whores to drunkeness. So my cry (lament) is "God how? What can I possibly do or say?" followed by a sense of futility. Can these wayward boys be open to your guiding? Maybe they are "lost boys". Come Lord Jesus come....set your spirit fire in the hearts of the boys I work with.

How do I reach out to God at this time? Pray, self-talk, scream, momentarily "give up", call someone to help me, ask a spiritual elder what to do, pray, read God's word. Eventually I see the Grace that God has extended to me and try to reflect that lovingly to the difficult boys and girls in our group...through God's power and guidance.

I think the Psalmist is feeling lonely, he wants to tangibly feel God's presence. He is feeling abandoned (vs 3"where is your God?"). He is depressed.

He pulls up his bootstraps and tells himself to hope in God and praise God. He reminds himself of all God has done. He thinks on whatever is right, true and praiseworthy.He commits to praising God in this darkness.

Philippians 4:8

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

Sure! Everyone has I assume. When I feel depressed it is usually because I am focusing on my own selfish, wants or circumstances instead of God. My soul is NOT panting or thirsting For God but rather worshipping my own desires. Eventually, when I wake-up to the fact that I am spiralling away from God, I call out to Him and cling to Him until he rescues me. Putting on a Phil 4:8 mindset really helps stop the pity, pain and powerlessness. Reveiwing His faithfulness gives me a stronghold on which to stand. I long for the day where my heart will harbor this mindset naturally!

• 2 weeks later...

In psalms 42 to 43 we see David going thorugh a battle a spiritual struggle. He is out in a far away place as an exile. He is certainly drained out being alone without any fellowship. Beautifully he expresses his agony comparing it to the thirsty deer who wants water and only water. David is going through heat in his soul and outside. Now he just longs for the living waters for his soul which the good God can offer him.Yet in the midst of his spiritual dryness he refuses to give up. He continues to meditate on the past goodness of the Lord and sing praises to His God however tough it might seem.

He remembers how he joined a great multitude of singers singing songs of joy. He remembers the festivity . He strehgthens his heart by remembering the good days and remembers the songs he sang in those days. So in the night of his life he says there is a song in his heart which he makes a prayer to his god.

David is taunted by his friends when they see him in such a state and asking him now What about your God?? The god whom you praised sang??? Where is he now?? Listening to this he is hurt and feels very sad and depressed.

But David is a fighter. In the darkest hours of his life he says I refuse to be disturbed.. I will get up and praise my God. I will not spend time in mourning but goes to the Lord with songs of praise and asks the Lord to send hin his light to guide him on his way.

David combats his depression by meditating on the past goodness and asking the Lords help now to guide him in his way.

I must say whatever David felt I have felt it many a times. I am also facing some of the darkest times now. Yet ... now I chose not to sit in the pit of depression. Like David i feel very low sad and tired. But I somehow rise up and meditate on all the past troubles and how the Lord has given us the victory. I spend time in worship sing powerful songs of praise. Through these periods of my life.God has sent forth his light in my life

I have my two sisters who love the Lord.. I pray with them . sing with them share my thoughts with them. I pray with tow of my friends. I pray for others needs too. The fact that I am doin this study is the way I chose to rise up and learn the word of God rather than keeping my mind disturbed.

Oh I feel everything that David feels. Like David i say.. why are you downcast my soul?? why are you so disturbed..I put my hope in my God,I will yet praise Him and give Him thanks for I know and know He will see me through and do mighty things for me

Alleluia !!

David is overwhelmed by the situations he is facing. He seems to be fighting a battle all by himself the way out seems to be too far. The only source of his strength is the Lord Almighty. David has seen in the past that God has been with him and given his victory. David is sad and worried and this makes his soul depressed.

Even in this depressed state he can feel the love of God for Him and deep in his heart he understands that God is able and will bring him out of all his trials. He encourages himself in the Lord and begins to praise God. Praising God in all circumstances gives us immense strength and courage. David now gets up from his troubled state and begins to praise God his Savior. From sadness his heart is now turned with joy as he puts his hope in the Lord.

i have found victory over the troubles i have faced by declaring God's word and singing praises to Him continually.

During his spiritual struggle the psalmist is thirsting for God's presence. He is really very thirsty like one who is completely drained out thirsting for a drop of water. Just as one who is so very thirsty in search of water - i.e. where can he find water to quench his thirst and drink. the psalmist is saying where will he meet his God and be filled with his presence. he is longing and thirsting for His God.

He combats his depression by making a delibrate effort - actually speaking aloud to himself to his soul - telling himself to praise His God. He reminds himself by recalling the good times he has enjoyed praising the Lord. In ps 43 he takes out his harp and worships the Lord with joy and delight.

Praise God we have our loving Jesus who has paid the price for us - He was despised and rejected for us. Is 53:3-7 is like a medicine in times of hurt and rejection.

During such times - i have learnt to simply praise the Lord loudly, shout praises to our Lord - offer him a sacrifice of praise & worship HIM.

• 2 weeks later...

In this psalm , David feels the urgent need to get into the presence of the Lord, but the situations around him are oppressing him and he has to make a desperate effort to do so. He is unable to get into the presence and has to make a deliberate effort to break through the situation he is facing and seek God's face, i.e. his presence. Because he is unable to feel the presence of God he can feel the heat like that of the desert and thirst that the dryness of the desert gives. He compares himself like a deer which runs from far and comes panting for water. There are many times when i too face such situations which try to dominate my mind and i have to make a deliberate effort to praise & worship God, and seek him in his sanctuary. It is at these times when are soul try its level best to push back all things that hold us and seek God's presence. Seeking God's presence and experiencing it means when you feel the closeness and some sort of assurance from God that he is around with you, he is with you.

• 4 months later...

What is the psalmist feeling during this spiritual struggle? How does he combat his spiritual depression? Have you ever felt this way? How did you reach out to God at this time?

The psalmist is in a depression. He feels weak physically and cast-off spiritually. He hungers, thirsts, and aches for God but can’t seem to find him anywhere. His oppressors are taunting him, trying to get him to question the presence/existence of God. “Where is your God?” they ask. This reinforces the way the psalmist already feels—that God is distant from him.

He combats his depression by positive self-talk, seen in verse 5. Here, the psalmist is reflecting on what God has already done, which forces him to hope in God, regardless of circumstances. When trouble refuses to cease, he reinforces this self-talk in verse 11. Here, he remembers that he will be able to rejoice in God once again, likely after all of this is over. In verses 6-7, the psalmist forces himself to remember God. In verse 6, he writes “Therefore, I will remember You from the land of Jordan, and from the heights of Hermon, from the Hill Mizar.” He is reminiscing on where God has been with him so that he can convince himself that God is still with him now. He also combats his depression by singing and praying to God constantly. This keeps his mind and heart in check, gives him the right perspective. It takes the focus off of his circumstances and puts it back on the one who has the power to change those circumstances.

About 2 years ago, I was diagnosed with bipolar, so I have definitely felt what the psalmist feels throughout this pair of psalms. I can remember being on my knees before God (at work) telling Him that, even though He seemed distant and like He had left me alone, I would never give up on Him. I was in a psychotic state at the time, but the concept holds true. When it seems like God is out of reach, the best way to connect with Him is to seek Him. The best way to seek Him in times like this is to praise and pray to Him. This is not easy to do. Sometimes I might only be able to mutter a sentence or two, but God hears the heart behind the muttering and draws ever closer.

• 4 weeks later...

The psalmist is feeling depression, and longing for God and better times. At the same time, he is feeling jabbed, as his 'friends' ask "Where is your God now?". He combats depression with self talk, deliberately remembering God, and singing and praying to God day and night.

Yes, I have struggled with depression various times. When I was depressed I would reach out to God by pouring my heart out to Him, ask Him for a solution, thank Him for all the blessings of my life, and wait in expectation for my Father to aid me.

• 1 month later...

Q2(PSALM 42-43)What is the psalmist feeling during this spiritual struggle?-----The psalmist was loosing hope, so he has to struggle for spiritual strength as psalm 42,, says. B,How does he combat his spiritual depression?----His depression is that he knows that God can deliver him from anything, so he praises God all the time. -- C,How you ever felt this way?-----I felt like i was in darkness and couldn't get out,so i spend time with God in praises and prayers, D,How did you reach out to God at this time?----I reach out to God by praising , prayer and fasting, with all this am near to God.

• 1 year later...

The psalmist had feelings of longing to be in the presence of Yahweh. He had feelings of lonliness and perhaps some abandonment as if he was fighting this situation without the help of His Heavenly Father. Sadness created a momentary darkness within him,however it did not stay as he remembered how he led the procession to the temple and reminded himself to hope (which is an expectation of good from Yahweh) in Yahweh, praise Him and meditate upon His kindness.He chose to think on the good things that Yahweh

had done for him in the past. The best way to get out of depression!

Yes, I have felt this way.  I chose to praise Him for His goodness and magnify His name. Also to sing to Him,

The enemy could not get a foothold on my emotions that way.  It is written: Submit to Yahweh, resist the devil, and he Will flee from you! Praise Him.

• 4 months later...

The psalmist is feeling downcast during this spiritual struggle. He is combatting his spiritual depression by talking to himself. He is trying to booster his spirit. I have felt that way at times. And I seem to do the same that the psalmist is doing by talking to myself.

The way that I reached out to God at times like this is just to go into a prayer and ask Him for His help. I try to let Him guide me through the circumstance.