JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Psalm 61

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Psalm 61:1-4) What images does the psalmist evoke to communicate his trust in God's protection? How do the first four verses of this psalm make you feel?

The psalmist uses the image of being lead to the rock that is higher than he, God the Rock. Additionally he uses the image of taking refuge in the shelter of God's wings.

The first four verses of this psalm teaches me to ask God for help and protection. David's example gives me hope and confidence that I too, who trusts in the Lord, can approach God in the same way.

Q1. (Psalm 61:1-4) What images does the psalmist evoke to communicate his trust in God's protection? How do the first four verses of this psalm make you feel?

The images the psalmist evoke -

1- The image is a man seek refuse from his enemy by hiding in a rock that is higher than him.

2- The images are military in nature: that of refuge and strong tower against the foe.

3- The image of God as a place of refuse, in the shelter of his wings.

4- The final image a longing to dwell in God's tent.

The first four verses of the psalm make me feel protected, in knowing that when trouble is all around me that there is a Rock that is higher than I, and that he will hear my cry and be a strong tower against my foe.

God is not limited to Geographic location. Even when we are among strange people and surroundings. God never abandons us. His all-surpassing strength is always with us.

The first four verses of this Psalm make me feel that when I pray to God I am secure and assured that whenever I am, I can trust that God will be there to answer my cry for help.

The images that the psalmist evokes to communicate his trust in God's protection are: He is a strong tower; He is a sheild; a Rock that is higher than anyone or anything; a strong tower that can not be demolished; He is a hiding place; a tabernacle, a covert. Regardless of what is going on, we are assured that "Christ is the solid rock and all else is sinking sand, and we will be protected as long as we stay and dwell in His presence.

It makes me feel protected, quiet, humbled, confident in my Lord and Saviour that He is in control and no matter what may come my way, He is working all things out according to his purpose. "If God be for us, who can be against us?" What a priviledge and honor to serve such a mighty God and to know that He is God and beside Him there is none other!

The images the psalmist evokes to communicate his trust in God's protection are God as a strong tower he can take refuge in against his enemies, and as someone with wings he can get beneath for protection.

The first 4 verses of psalm 61 makes me feel secure in knowing I am under God's protection as long as I abide in Him.

1. The psalmist evokes the following images to communicate his trust in God's protection:

*Very high rock:God as very high Rock where the psalmist reaches out to Him in order to be safe & hidden from his enemies.

*A strong tower:The next image is of God as a place of refuge; source of protection where the psalmist can run from his foe when he is in trouble.

*Dwelling in God's tent & in the shelter of His wings:In the final image God is portrayed as a mother bird sheltering and protecting her young with her wings.

2.I am able to identify with the psalmist's cry in the first 4 verses of this psalm. When I've been through very tough situations, literally it seemed that from the ends of the earth I cried out to the Lord for help! My heart grew weary & faint but I clung on to the promises of the Lord & He heard my cry! I'm overwhelmed by His love , protection & help!How the Lord never grows weary & how He protects & sends help from His sanctuary.

What images does the psalmist evoke to communicate his trust in God's protection? How do the first four verses of this psalm make you feel?

He was overwhelmed and in deep despair so He is crying out so he wants to be under God's protection always.He uses the verses like the Rock is higher than i,for you have been a shelter for me,a strong tower,and wings these are all images that David is using to show how he is cryin out to the Lord in the moments of his prayer of his mercy.David had felt that he is far from the Lord in the time of his despair.He and us as Christians can be able to find that God is our strong tower,our source of protection and deliverance from the enemy that is all around us.I will abide in your tabernacle means that we can be determined strongly to always be in the presence of the Lord

A rock that is higher than I - a place of refuge and safety.

A strong tower - also refuge and safety.

In His tent - a place of peace

In the shelter of His wings - a place of protection.

It makes me feel like there is always a place to go for safety, refuge, peace and protection.

The Psalm shows God as a Rock that is higher than our troubles, a refuge, and a strong tower in which we can hide from the enemy. The Psalmist also shows how loving and intimate God's protection is by refering to the image of a mother bird which protects her children under her wings.

I love the idea of hiding under Gods wings. This image is so delicate and full of love.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That David would take refuge under Gods wings.It makes you feel that no matter where you are if you call on the Lord he will hear.

He uses the rock which is very high, and the strong tower. both being a place of refuge & safety.

I feel peace & comfort in knowing that God will protect me both physically, mentally, & spiritually. It is HIM & HIM alone that I can run to in time of trouble & know that HE is in control! praise GOD!

The Psalmist referred to God as the Rock that was higher than him. This showed that he could be adequately protected from the enemy by the towering Mighty God.

He also referred to God as his Refuge, a Strong Tower. This further buttress his security as the enemy could not easily reach him as he was protected by such formidable protection.

Another image used for God's protection for him was the "wings" of God. This imagery is derived from the protective tendency of a bird that shields its chicks from attack by coverying with the chicks with its wings.

Yet another another image used is a tent. Being in God's tent implies being close to God as contrasted to when the Psalmist initially felt overwhelmed by problems felt as being at the "ends of the earth" ie feeling far away from God.

• 3 weeks later...

The images that communicate trust in God's protection include 'calling from the ends of the earth' (with faith that he will be heard), 'as my heart grows faint' (when he is feeling like there is not much hope), 'lead me to a higher rock' (you can keep me safer). 'tower against the foe' (secure), and shelter of your wings (protected and loved).

These verses make me feel more secure in God's compassion, abilitiy and love to take care of me, especially when I feel I need it most.

In verses 1-4 David paints of picture of God as a mother hen where he can find safety and comfort in time of trouble. These verse encourage me by letting me know that God is compassionate and that He cares for me dearly.

• 2 months later...

What images does the psalmist evoke to communicate his trust in God's protection?

He evokes the image of an unmovable rock, a strong tower built to withstand all manner of storms that may constantly buffet him. Even as he grows weary of the constant storms, he realizes who has sheltered him and longs to dwell in and take refuge in God's Holy presence forever and to remain sheltered in His loving arms.

How do the first four verses of this psalm make you feel?

These verses give me confidence. Like the psalmist, I feel that no matter how dire my circumstances and no matter how far away God seems, I can always look to the past to know that He has been my rock and my refuge against all enemies and circumstances. This has created in me a longing to always be in His presence and take refuge under the covering of grace and mercy granted me by my redeemer, Jesus Christ.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (Psalm 61:1-4) What images does the psalmist evoke to communicate his trust in God's protection?

The images he evokes are:

1. His Rock

2. His Refuge

3. His Strong Tower

How do the first four verses of this psalm make you feel?

It reminds me that God always hears my cry

• 1 month later...

DAVID'S HEART HAD GROWN FAINT, HE FELT WEAK AND WEARY BUT HE SAW GOD AS HIS ROCK, HIS SHELTER, HIS STRONG TOWER AGAINST THE ENEMY'S ATTACKS.HE IS SEEKING REFUGE BY HIDING IN THE HIGH PLACES-- THE TOWERING ROCKS-- CHRIST HIMSELF BEING THE ROCK.HE WAS HIDING BENEATH THE WINGS OF ALMIGHTY GOD, NOT LITERAL WINGS, BUT BENEATH THE ARMS OF HIS HEAVENLY FATHER HE FELT SECURE AND PROTECTED.

I FEEL SAFE AND SECURE, CONTENTED AND PEACEFUL WHEN I REALISE HOW PROTECTED I AM BY GOD.SOMETIMES I HAVE BEEN SO PHYSICALLY EXHAUSTED, OR SO FAINT HEARTED THAT I COULD HARDLY PRAY BUT EVEN IN THOSE TIMES HE HEARD MY FAINT CRIES AND HELPED ME AND DELIVERED ME. WHAT AN AWESOME GOD WE SERVE, NONE LIKE HIM...GLORY.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
David talks about two images as he refer to God one being being a rock that cant be broken or overtaken and wings which has the ability to surround and cover us in any situation. And as I think about these verse it gives me great peace to know when I call on God He is there to fulfill His will in me. Thank You Lord

• 1 month later...

I see the images of the Rocks(protection high above), the image of a hen, covering her chick with her wing (another form of protection) there is the image of the tent where God dwells

The first four verses make me feel well protected by God and I know that from wherever I call to him, He hears me and protects me. Kind of wa :rolleyes: rm and fuzzy isn't it?

To communicate his trust in God's protection, the psalmist uses the images of rock, tower, covering wings, and tabernacle. These images suggest strength, endurance, shelter, teaching, and worship.

The first four verses make me feel gratitude that I have the monolithic solidity of God on which I can depend, "daily," as David explains, as well as "when my heart is overwhelmed."

• 1 month later...