JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Beatitudes and Spiritual Fruit

Q1. (Matthew 5:3-11) Each Beatitude consists of two parts. What are these parts?

Each of the Beatitude starts with a character trait, and finishes with the results and rewards that will be given to each person who has these characteristics on Judgment Day.

Why do you think Jesus made each Beatitude a paradox?

I believe Jesus wanted us to understand what it will be like when He comes back. All of these character traits will be laid before the Lord Jesus, and He will reward His faithful with His promises right here!

What is the relationship of the Beatitudes to the Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23)?

This could very well be a cause and effect kind of circumstance. Perhaps the more we endure and persevere through "they revile you and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you for my sake.".. the more that we shall grow into a person who i has more "love, joy, peace, patience", etc, around us that all the suffering that we had once gone through makes us appreciate everything that God has given us every day, no matter how much or little we may have!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The two parts apear to be opposites, with the first being undesireable and the second desireable. I believe Jesus made each Beatitude a paradox because it is an "attention grabber". It is a completely different way of teaching which draws each person in to truely consider the words and their meaning.

The realtionship to the Fruit of the Spirit is that none of the rewards can be redeemed by self works, but must come from the Spirit of God.

The two parts are a blessing for those who following Jesus and a reward. The admonition is not to live as the religious leaders, but, to live manifesting the Fruits of the Spirit. The relationship between the Beatiudes and Fruit of the Spirit can be likened to a marriage: a marriage that has been made in Heaven. God will comfort, wipe away our tears, and enlarge our territories, when we seek His face.

Q1. (Matthew 5:3-11) Each Beatitude consists of two parts. What are these parts? Why do you think Jesus made each Beatitude a paradox? What is the relationship of the Beatitudes to the Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23)?

The sermon, which Christ gave, is only paridoxical if we neglet what he says in Matt. 6:19, "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal."

The two parts of each beatitude is simply the way God desires us to treat each other followed by how he promises to treat us. Paul says there is no law against loving one another, sharing our joy whith another, treating each other with gentlenes, goodness, kindness. and living in peace whith one another. Theses things God looks on with favor and will store up treasures in heaven.

Darrell

Jesus was telling them the difference between the religion of the Pharisees, compared to the new covenant relationship we could now have with him. Happy or blessed is he-- then the result. Paradoxical as Christianity always is. Give our life to receive life. I think he was stressing, how the inside must change, not external. Fruits of the Spirit, are the same, changing the inner person. We cannot possibly live these qualities without the Holy Spirit. If we truly belong to the Father, we will develop these.

Q1. (Matthew 5:3-11) Each Beatitude consists of two parts. What are these parts? Why do you think Jesus made each Beatitude a paradox? What is the relationship of the Beatitudes to the Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23)?

Each Beatitude consists of two parts, Heavenly Kingdom values and worldly values. They describe what it means to be a follower of Christ and showing what Christ

The two parts of each of the Beatitudes are: 1) the qualification to receive the blessing and; 2) the promised blessing.

Jesus used a paradox in this and other teachings to keep those who truly wanted a relationship with Him to seek. He would later reward them for their diligence.

There is no record that anyone truly understood the spitirual matters that Jesus was teaching, that is until after they received the power of the Holy Ghost. Once the Holy Spirit entered in all things that they were taught by the Master became clear to them and, in Galatians 5:22-23, the fruits of the Spirit became manifest to Paul and, he recorded them for all to gather from the Holy Spirit, now residing in all born again believers. Not coincidently, they are what we need to walk in to receive the promises of the Beatitudes.

The be attitudes are exactly that. They describe what a Christian should be. The presence of the Spirit becomes evident when one discovers the Fruits of the Spirit present in their lives. When the world says these attitudes are not attainable they lack faith. In Christ, all things are possible. The Christian will never be perfect in this world but because the Spirit dwells within the Christian he may experience the Fruits of the Spirit and draw closer to the attitudes they should have. e.g. When one is in crisis (needing to develop one of the be attitudes) and they experience one or more of the Fruits of the Spirit they are truly blessed as God is working in their lives and drawing that person closer to him. The important thing for us to realize is we can do nothing without God. The world can never attain the perfection the beatitudes describe but through the Holy Spirit the Christian will experience the hope joy peace etc. of the Fruits of the Spirit while being drawn closer to God as he teaches them these be attitudes.

The first part describes the atttitude one must have, the second the glory to come.I am not sure why Jesus made each Beatitude a paradox, maybe to make people stop and think about the true nature of what being a disciple is. The relationship of the Beatuitudes to the Fruit of the Spirit is that if one follows the Beatitudes they will achieve the qualities or virtues of the Fruit of the Spirit which are produced by the action of the Holy Spirit in us. They grow in a person who, by faith, obeys God's Word through the guidance and power of God's Spirit.

The two parts of the Beatitude are the blessing and the extent of the blessing or the reward that follows the blessing.

The Beatitudes were made into a paradox for understanding or an explanation.

The relationship with the Beatitudes and the Fruit of the Spirit is that the Beatitudes are the instructions on making the works of the Fruit of the Spirit existent in ones being. They coincide with each other which means one without the other can not work.

The two parts are the blessing/conditions under which they'll be blessed.

Paradoxes/Riddles were used by Jesus to help with understanding and to boggle the minds of those who did not believe on Him.

The Beatitudes have long been called the be-attitudes or attitudes of being--attitudes that would come as a result/fruit of the Spirit which they would not understand until later.

The first part is comprised of a group of people,the poor in spirit,those who morn,the meek, those who hunger and thirst,the merciful,the pure in heart and the peacemakers. The second is what God will bless each one with as the follow His instruction.

He was speaking in the way that the people were use to hearing things put to them, He also was keeping understanding from the ones that the Father chose not to send His message to.

The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. These are the things that Jesus says you will be rewarded if you pocess.

The two parts consist of an awareness of condition [or need] and the blessing that follows. I believe He made each Beatitude a paradox to show us our need and the resultant promises of the Kingdom for those who have ears to hear and eyes to see...the true believers who believe in Spirit and Truth. The Beatitudes are an "attitude" of the fruit of the Spirit...a blessing of attitude resulting from the working of the Holy Spirit in our lives. As we yield to Him, He works in us to produce His fruit.

The two parts of each Beattitude are: The conditions of the Blessing and the outcome of the Blessing.

I think Jesus wanted people to 'go deeper' than just to hear nice words. I think he wanted people to think and identify with what He was saying. The relationship of the Beattitude to the Fruit of the Spirit is the behavioural response of the blessed one of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self control.

HI, thanks for the tip on responding before reading other's replies as it gives my authentic response rather than parroting someone else.

I think that Jesus (and the Holy Spirit) wants us to feel empowered in this world to do God's work. If I have a sense of being 'poor in the spirit', then I would not be likely to step out and offer what I do have to the world. However, if I have God's reassurance, then I am more likely to be bold in my walk even though I haven't 'arrived'.

For instance, so often, church members where I worship are scared to teach because they don't believe they know enough of the Bible. But if they take God's reasurance, then they will step out and teach. And in their insecurities, probably spend more time listening to God. and thus, will be better teachers.

Also, if I feel 'poor in the Spirit' and spend more time with God in scripture, then I shall reflect the Fruits of the Spirit. As I spend more time in Scripture, the Holy Spirit has more opportunity to shape me.

Each Beatitude consists of a blessing and a reward for that blessing. Jesus wants people to understand that being rich in earthly terms is not rich in spiritual terms. He wants our love and our faith. He wants us to come to Him with our problems, our wishes, and our desires.

The Fruit of the Spirit in Galatians 5:22-23 are those qualities that are not measured in terms of earthly wealth. They are the qualities that Christians should show on earth towards themselves and others.

The 2 parts of each of the Beatitudes are those who are blessed by God for their seeking and knowing God, and the reasons why they are blessed (or the results of them being blessed by God). Jesus probably made each one a paradox, or riddle, so that only those in the Kingdom of God (or those who are of the elect) would understand and apply the answers to these riddles to their lives (via the Holy Spirit); and the rest would not know exactly what He meant by them and they would go on their merry way living for the world and it

By definition, a paradox is a contradiction of terms. The contradiction apparent throughout the beattitudes is the difference in the way man sees situations and a person's heart and they way God sees it. I have heard people called "weak" or "crippled, " using a "crutch" in reference to religious people. Such comments are the reflections of man and attitudes of this world, not our Heavenly Father. What great comfort we can lay hold of, to know our Father is a just God and will reward fairly in His Kingdom, though we may never be honored on earth. Jesus is comforting all who lack any prestige within the religous rule of the day and warning those that think they have God, that they have nothing. In essecnce, in things are not as though they appear on the earth. God is a rewarder of those that seek him.

What are the two parts of each Beatitude? To borrow from Anthony J. Marinelli, the two parts are a present attitude and a future fulfillment.

Why do you think Jesus made each Beatitude a paradox? Because each statement goes against everything the world around us believes and propogates. (Pastor David Legge)

What is the relationship of the Beatitudes to the Fruit of the Spirit? I personally believe each fruit is an attitude of one of the Beatitudes. We can only produce this fruit once we are filled with the Holy Spirit. Thus, we cannot have the Be-attitudes unless we are filled with the Holy Spirit.

Q1. (Matthew 5:3-11) Each Beatitude consists of two parts. What are these parts?

Happiness is the first part --- The path that leads to Happiness in the Lord, is the second part.

Why do you think Jesus made each Beatitude a paradox?

A paradox is given to make man think, for they express opinions contrary to popular opinion.

What is the relationship of the Beatitudes to the Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23)? Those who practise the works of the flesh will not find happiness, will not inherit the kingdom of God. --- Those who are in Christ are those who's lives exhibit the "fruits of the Spirit" whose lives have found true "happiness."

Each Beatitude consists of a statement and a fact.

Maybe Jesus made each Beatitude a paradox so as to draw attention, to make the people stop and think about it.

The relationship of the Beatitudes to the Fruit of the Spirit is attitude, their both about a spiritual attitude of living life.

The first part of each blessing listed in the Beatitudes is the quality of character that Jesus says is blessed and the second part is the reward that comes from the expression of that quality and it always seems surprisingly more fulfilling than that quality should merit.

In answer to the second question about paradoxes, I think that part of a teachers ability to communicate to his students lies in the ability to grab their attention. Paradoxes do that, as well as reminding us that many of life's most valuable lessons are learned from situations or experiences from which we least expected.

The relationship between the Beatitudes and the Fruit of the Spirit is this. The behavior expressed in the Beatitudes will produce the qualities listed in the Fruit of the Spirit.

Part 1 describes the characteristics of a Christian and Part 2 the kingdom outcomes. I believe Jesus made each Beatitude a paradox: First - to speak to the masses who were seeking to be taught by Jesus and Second - to gain the attention of anyone who felt spiritual superiority and no need of a Savior. Especially for this second group, the blessing to the spiritually poor and down troden had to cause them to take notice. The Fruit of the Spirit described in Paul's letter to the Galations also describe the kingdom outcomes, or fruits, of Life by the Spirit.

The first part is the blessing itself and the second part is the result of that blessing.

The attributes that we are blessed for are attributes that match up with the fruits of the spirit, so people must have the spirit residing in them (be born again) in order to be blessed for these attributes. We can't be blessed if we try to do things through the flesh. Only God can give blessings.

One part of the beatitude's is the naming of the understood afflictions that befall those who truly seek God, and the second is the reward or blessing that will be received while enduring the situation and not letting go of God. I believe Jesus made each beatitude a paradox to get the attention of all who suffer, and then to give them the hope and promise immediately, of all that His love will give them. Blessings that will turn their downward spirits upward, instantly, with happiness and assurance. The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace (the promises of the beatitudes) -- long suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance (the attributes of all who love Christ and seek to be closer to Him -- in other words - those who the beatitudes speak to).

Jesus came to care for the "sick" and not the "doctors", but I'm sure some "doctors" were curious about what he was teaching...so Jesus spoke in riddles. Those with the Spirit (and maybe even the appropriate attitude) would understand the meaning behind the paradox. Those who didn't would scoff and walk away.

The relationship between the Fruit of The Spirit and the Beatitudes is the Holy Spirit, it seems like its more of a visual result of having the Holy Spirit. Others would be able to look at you and see if you if you are poor in spirit - or full of yourself. Meek (humbly patient or docile) or not. etc...AS WELL AS being able to see in others (and in oneself) the visual result of having the Holy Spirit by an increase in love for others...joy no matter what circumstances one is facing, etc...

Galatians 5:22-23 (New International Version)

New International Version (NIV) Copyright