JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Faith and Justification

Q1. (Romans 5:1-2) According to verses 1-2, faith is a key to salvation. For Abraham (4:3), what was the relationship between faith and justification? For us (5:1-2), what is the relationship between faith and justification? In your own words, just what does it mean to be justified?

Abraham believed God (took Him at His word/trusted Him), and he was accounted righteous in the eyes of God because of His trust. God approved and delighted in Abraham because Abraham knew God to be trustworthy.We are justified through our faith in Jesus Christ. God imputes our sins and shortcomings to His Son when we trust in and on Jesus Christ. Justified to me means that we are approved of by God through His Son Jesus. We are counted righteous just as Abraham was.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Romans 5:1-2) According to verses 1-2, faith is a key to salvation. For Abraham (4:3), what was the relationship between faith and justification? For us (5:1-2), what is the relationship between faith and justification? In your own words, just what does it mean to be justified?

Abraham believed in the and He accounted it to him for righteousness.He was justified by faith. Justification is the result that is assured by Christ's resurrection. Faith is believed in God. I believe that we are justified through Jesus.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Abraham was accounted righteous (justified) simply by believing and never doubting that what God said was true. We should be judged as we deserved to be, as guilty and therefore face the consequences. But if we believe that Jesus has faced the consequences of our sinful thoughts, words and deeds for us, humbly we can claim righteousness and can never be condemned as long as we continue to place our faith in God.

Question 1.

We have accepted that Jesus Christ died for our sins and shed His blood as the Atoning (Atonement Christianity The reconciliation of God and humans brought about by the redemptive life and death of Jesus.) Sacrifice which allows us access to God. Not through our own works but by faith. We don

For Abraham, the relationship between his faith, and the basis of his justification was upon the promised seed, who was Jesus Christ (Gal. 3:16). Abraham is the father of many nations in the sense that through his offspring (Jesus), all the nations have been blessed as Christ has redeemed men from every tribe, tongue, and nation (Rev. 5:9-10). In His sovereign grace, God covenanted with Abraham and made this promise which was received by Abraham in faith (complete trust and reliance). Abraham believed God about the promised seed that was to come who would bring about the blessing (which is justification before God by faith), and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

In just the same way, our trust is in the promised seed (offspring) who has come. In grace, God sent forth His Son who willingly was obedient unto death upon the cross. By faith, we believe God

• 3 weeks later...

The link between faith (or trusting in God) and justification was the same for Abraham as for us: when one trusts God, He accounts that to the person for righteousness; to be justified means to be put in a place of blamelessness; when we hold on to God and trust Him, He doesn't count our sins against us; we are covered by the Blood of Jesus, and also cleansed from unrighteousness. God is looking for people to trust Him.

Q1. (Romans 5:1-2) According to verses 1-2, faith is a key to salvation. For Abraham (4:3), what was the

relationship between faith and justification? For us (5:1-2), what is the relationship between faith and

justification? In your own words, just what does it mean to be justified?

:huh: All God's gifts are given to faith, not to unbelief. As Pastor Ralph first states, "faith is a key to salvation."

The 1st crucial gift for Christians is to realize our sinfulness and come, the 2nd gift, with any kind of faith, to

confess our sins + ask Jesus Christ to forgive us and take the lead in leading us in our lives.

As Pastor Ralph first asks, "For Abraham (4:3), what was the relationship between faith and justification?"

I suggest the 1st part of (same chapter, 4) verse 18: "Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed and so

became the father of many nations..." Verse 19 begins the details of that hope, or faith: "Without weakening

in faith, he faced the fact that his body was as good as dead––since he was about 100 years old--and that

Sarah's womb was also dead. Yet he did not waiver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was

strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God had power to do what he had

promised."

Abraham's not weakening, not waivering between belief and unbelief about what God promised to him, and

going even further in being "strengthened in his faith", and giving "glory to God"-- before the miracle -- being

fully persuaded"-- before the miracle -- was the faith that led to justification. I prefer to use the word righteousness, as I understand the word better. To justify means to make righteous. Righteous means:

"morally right or justifiable; virtuous".

The only thing that made Abraham righteous (that caused his justification, or, the miracle to be given to him

as a sign of his righteousness (and ultimately God's plan for a covenant relationship with Abraham + his descendants, in the familial line of David leading to Jesus) was, Abraham's faith. It wasn't anything that Abraham

did. It was his faith that justified him, or his faith made him righteous -justified- in God's sight.

So the relationship between faith and justification is that faith must come before justification (or anything else).

That faith of Abraham's was key to all that followed in his life and his descendants. And we know that faith is

not something we can pretend. Abraham was blessed to be "strengthened in his faith" BEFORE the miracle of

Sarah giving birth. This is after the Lord God told first Abraham that "so shall your offspring be" as numerous as

the stars, and at that time it was just as unbelievable, because Sarah has ALWAYS been barren. When the Lord

God first told Abraham, "Abraham believed the Lord, and he credited it to him as righteousness." -Genesis 15:6

Just as with us, who had faith in Jesus as our Saviour in saving us from our sins - it is faith.

God gives us "credit' for the faith. He counts it as righteousness; essentially believing the "right" way.

Not an action on our part, not anything that we do: we either have faith, or, we don't. And therefore,

we don't earn righteousness, but God "credit's" us with righteousness. He rightfully judges us as having our

heart in a ready place for him to work with us because of our faith. Based on what Christ has done, we have

faith: "...our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace into which we now

stand." -Romans 5:1,2

As I said before, that I don't like the work "justified" as much as I like the word "righteousness".

But if I use the work "justified", it means something like- our lives being originally sinful, had to be justified to

earn a right relationship with our God (who made us first on equal standing with him). God had to have a good

reason to bring us into rightful, forgiven, relationship with him. Through the death, shed blood, and resurrection

of his only Son, Jesus Christ, was the only way it could be changed - our relationship to God our Maker, who be-

came God, our Redeemer. What Jesus did justified us before the Father, God, who judges all that he created.

Edited by Leslie @ St. Barts

Abraham believed in God (i.e. he had faith) and therefore he was justified.

Justification is the promised consequence of faith.

No faith, no justification.

In the last days, God will judge us all (Rom. 14:10; 2 Kor. 5:10).

Justification means that we're declared not guilty.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1 (Romans 5:1-2) According to verses 1-2, faith is a key to salvation. For Abraham (4:3), what was the relationship between faith and justification?

ANS - Because Abraham had complete faith in God, and believed God would do what He had promised, God credited it to him for righteousness

For us (5:1-2), what is the relationship between faith and justification?

ANS - Faith is the means, or the gateway and path, to our justification with God. We receive the gift of salvation, and are declared righteous.

Just what does it mean to be justified?

In my own words - I am set free and no longer in bondage! My sins are gone, and no longer remembered! Thank you Jesus! I praise you forever!

• 2 weeks later...

For Abraham the relationship between faith and justification was believing God. My thought is that the relationship between faith and justification is always believing God and acting on His words. We are justified or made right by accepting Jesus the Christ, the Messiah, as Lord and Savior. By claiming the blood Jesus shed on the cross for the atonement of our sins, thus making peace between us and God the Father Almighty. Again, by believing that God send His only begotten Son to die on the cross for our sin, thus becoming new creatures and gaining eternal life. This is done by believing the gospel presented through Jesus the Christ and the Apostles by God the Father Almighty.

According to verses 1-2, faith is a key to salvation. For Abraham (4:3), what was the relationship between faith and justification? Abraham believed...it was that simple for him....he believed and God counted it as righteousness.

For us (5:1-2), what is the relationship between faith and justification? In your own words, just what does it mean to be justified?

To me this means because I have believed in the Lord Jesus as my savior (faith ) that I stand forgiven and pardoned by HIS mercy ( justified) .

According to verses 1-2, faith is a key to salvation. For Abraham (4:3), what was the relationship between faith and justification? Abraham believed...it was that simple for him....he believed and God counted it as righteousness.

For us (5:1-2), what is the relationship between faith and justification? In your own words, just what does it mean to be justified?

To me this means because I have believed in the Lord Jesus as my savior (faith ) that I stand forgiven and pardoned by HIS mercy ( justified) .

Q1. (Romans 5:1-2) According to verses 1-2, faith is a key to salvation. For Abraham (4:3), what was the relationship between faith and justification? For us (5:1-2), what is the relationship between faith and justification? In your own words, what does it mean to be justified?

For Abraham, his faith brought about his justification; it was cause and effect. We saw Abraham go by faith when God said, 'Go', even though he didn't know where he was going. He trusted God by faith to provide him with an heir in his old age. Finally, we saw Abraham believe God for the sacrifice, even if it was his only son. Hebrews 11 covers that part of his story.

We also gain peace with God and grace - favor that we don't deserve - through our faith in His work. Once again, it's cause and effect. We believe in what Jesus did for us on the cross, and that's all it takes to be justified. For me, justification has always meant what I once heard someone teach in Sunday School - God makes it 'Just as If I had never sinned'. Not guilty, as the lesson said.

• 2 weeks later...

To me, the answer is as simple as the promise though Jesus Christ; we are forgiven and free from past sins and accountable by faith to live like Christ.

• 2 weeks later...

For Abraham the relationship between faith and justification was that when God spoke to him he did what God told him to do without questioning him.

For us the relationship between faith and justification is the same. We need to be doing what God wants us to do. If we don

• 3 weeks later...

1a)Abraham was declared righteous by God because of his faith & for this reason he was aquitted or justified. B) B)For us we are acquitted or put right with God, by believing Christ died for us on the cross,repenting of our sins& accepting God’s forgiveness, and it is a lifetime of walking with Jesus,trusting him everyday :D c)For me to be justified as a believer, means I am set free from hold of sin, in right standing with God,seen as righteous by God &secure in His love, even though I still sometimes have temptations to sin.My peace with God is secure,as he has accepted me and acquitted me through faith in Christ. :)

"without faith it is impossible to please God."

Faith is like having trust and beleiving what God says and acting accordingly.Because we believe and have faith in Jesus,we are justified through him

because He has made it possible for us to have a relationship with God the Father.Hence we are justified by faith (we beleive Jesus died for our wrong doing.)

• 2 weeks later...

Abraham's faith in God justified Him since Christ had not yet arrived. For us, our justification also comes through faith, our faith in Christ, and allows us to experience His grace and peace. For me, justification means that I receive God's grace and peace through faith and I don't need to do anything else to pay for my sins and earn a place in God's family.

• 4 weeks later...

Abraham believed God and it was counted to him for Righteousness

Believe and be Justified. We are justified by faith in God.

Believe that Jesus died for my sins that I can be justified, without guilt, made righteous and have favor with God.

• 2 weeks later...

For Abraham, the relationship between faith and justification was because Abraham believed in God (faith) and lived his life for God, he was justified, or in good standing order with God. For us, it is the same thing, we must believe and trust in God, with our lives, surrender totally to him, and we are then justified or "right" with God. We are living according to God's will.

To me, justified means that we are doing what we are supposed to do, living according to God's word. When we live in sin, we are not in God's favor or living according to His will.

Romans 4:3 states that Abraham "believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness." In other words, Abraham was justified or made righteous by his faith. Likewise, we are also saved by faith, and it is our faith that allows us to be righteous, blameless. It is only our faith that allows us to communicate with God. Without faith, we wouldn't be able to enter into his grace. To me, being justified means we have been declared righteous or blameless for our sins. That justification comes through Christ alone.

Quite simply to be put in right standing